Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Red Red Blue
Feb 11, 2007

I would imagine that you have to talk to xseed about switch ports of the other games, and since they don't have the series anymore I can't imagine they are chomping at the bit to start porting them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Max Wilco posted:

Additionally, did the PC version Tales of Symphonia ever get fixed? I remember it had issues when it launched on Steam, and I remember the GeDeSaTo guy was working on a patch for it or something, but I forget what happened. From what I remember hearing, the PC version was actually a port-of-a-port (in that it was based on the PS2 version, which was based off the GameCube version), and I remember it was suggested to just emulate the original GC version (though I remember one version had additional content).

Phantasium posted:

port of a port of a port of the original

there is a ps3 version in that chain

The PS3 version is the original HD remaster, built from the PS2 version. the PC release is ported from the PS3 version.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The PS3 version is the original HD remaster, built from the PS2 version. the PC release is ported from the PS3 version.

that was the point i was making

edit: to sound less lovely

Phantasium fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Jul 6, 2020

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
A bit late to the Tales of Phantasia chat, but is the SNES version worth looking into?

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.

punk rebel ecks posted:

A bit late to the Tales of Phantasia chat, but is the SNES version worth looking into?

not unless you're wanting to relieve the lovely memes of ages long past, really.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

punk rebel ecks posted:

do you like extreme first entry jank and a memed early 2000s fan tl

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

punk rebel ecks posted:

theres no reason to play it over the psx version no

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

The Colonel posted:

do you like extreme first entry jank and a memed early 2000s fan tl

is SNES the fan tl with "arche fucks like a tiger" in it?

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

MockingQuantum posted:

yep

and gba has the war of kangaroo or however it's phrased

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Phantasium posted:

yep

specifically every instance of ragnarok got spellchecked into 'kangaroo.' so 'the coming kangaroo,' the kangaroo that destroyed the world, the kangaroo war, etc

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Wow, I've heard about that before but thought it was just like one spell or a weapon or something. That's almost impressive.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

it's really baffling i didn't notice that when i originally played it, come to think of it

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Clarste posted:

Wow, I've heard about that before but thought it was just like one spell or a weapon or something. That's almost impressive.

microsoft didn't teach office 2000 about norse mythology and somebody was asleep at the wheel just hitting "yes" to all of the spellcheck prompts i guess

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Clarste posted:

Yeah, 'ragnarok' isn't just a one off reference, it's a major part of the game's backstory. Spoilers for Phantasia I guess, but The game's world used to be a futuristic one with three major countries. Eventually they got involved in a World War. As it raged on, a meteor hit the world and wiped out most of society, and one of the countries completely, causing technology to regress back to the dark ages. All of these events, both the war and the meteor, are referred to as 'ragnarok.' So its reference a fair bit in a few backstory dumps.

Naturally it loses some of the gravitas when it's called 'Kangaroo.'

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
Thanks for the responses.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
I guess SE filed a trademark for Live-A-Live in Australia. That's curious.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Almost makes me hope they'd give it, like, the treatment they've been showing the romancing saga games.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

Paper Mario at least plays around with the aesthetic with Mario himself being visibly made out of paper and the paper theming going into the environment, in comparison to BF which is just what it is. It's a minor complaint but it does make it feel more Knockoff than Homage if you get what I mean?
i don't really get those same vibes at all.

and also: i said original paper mario. the game called paper mario on n64. it does absolutely nothing with its style besides looking really really good for an n64 game.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
If you know Japanese, there's also Tales of Phantasia X (which comes as an extra with ToP: Narikiri Dungeon X) for the PSP. I don't really have a comparison point since it's the only version I've tried, but spells don't interrupt combat like they apparently do in the earlier versions.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

i would love for there to be a patch for that as it looks really good and has the sequel too but alas

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

MockingQuantum posted:

Phantasium posted:

yep

https://legendsoflocalization.com/the-infamous-arche-fs-like-a-tiger-scene-in-tales-of-phantasia/
https://legendsoflocalization.com/how-did-a-kangaroo-sneak-into-tales-of-phantasia/

Phantasium posted:

Almost makes me hope they'd give it, like, the treatment they've been showing the romancing saga games.

I've seen the Romancing Saga games for sale on Steam. Romancing Saga 2 has some negative reviews (sounds like it's because of the port, which is based on the mobile version), but Romancing Saga 3 reviews are more in the positive range. Is it better to play the original versions? (don't know if there were translation patches.)

kirbysuperstar posted:

I guess SE filed a trademark for Live-A-Live in Australia. That's curious.

I remember reading about this on HG101. It sounded really interesting. Hopefully the trademark's a sign it's getting a translation.

That reminds me: has there been any word on where the Moon RPG Remix translation is at?

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 07:50 on Jul 6, 2020

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Max Wilco posted:

I've seen the Romancing Saga games for sale on Steam. Romancing Saga 2 has some negative reviews (sounds like it's because of the port, which is based on the mobile version), but Romancing Saga 3 reviews are more in the positive range. Is it better to play the original versions? (don't know if there were translation patches.)

I haven't actually played them but I've heard nothing but positive things about them until this moment.

quote:

That reminds me: has there been any word on where the Moon RPG Remix translation is at?

https://oniongames.jp/diary/as-summer-approaches-another-update-on-moon

Almost done, it sounds like.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

lets hang out posted:

does anyone know if in Saga Frontier you need to leave an empty slot in your ability list to spark new ones?

Yes. Leave two slots open because you’ll still get the bonus wp reduction and sometimes you might spark twice in a fight. I was playing earlier and Liza sparked two DSC moves back to back, then Gen and Red sparked a bunch of poo poo while trying to get tres Flores and lifesprinkler since neither used katanas until late game.

Though for Red it didn’t matter because alkaiser’s best move is fairly easy to get... assuming you know it exists in the first place because there is nothing that hints at how to get it and normally you’re going to be using better moves than the one it sparks off of and I definitely only ever learned of its existence via a walkthrough. Much like DSC, the comet blade (and how to farm copies), and the junk shop glitch.

I would love to see a remaster of that game. We already know Fuse was cut from the original game as well as a bunch of other stuff (rip Lute’s story) so they aren’t short on stuff to add.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
still amazed moon remix is literally getting a tl because yoshiro kimura just decided to fund one out of his own pocket despite being a super small-time game dev

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

I remember really liking Tales of Destiny when I was younger (that's the one with the talking swords, right?) but I never hear anyone mention it when talking about Tales so I assume it doesn't hold up so well.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Max Wilco posted:

I haven't played the 3 port but I have played the 2 port and outside of having a UI very clearly meant for mobile it seemed fine to me.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I liked Destiny okay the one and only time I played through it 20 years ago, couldn't tell you much more than that though lol

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Swordians are cool Rutee has a rad design, Stahn has silly hair. That's about what I remember.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

It was also my first Tales game, I had to import it from the US

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Amppelix posted:

and also: i said original paper mario. the game called paper mario on n64. it does absolutely nothing with its style besides looking really really good for an n64 game.
It does tiny sight gags. Mario jumps up and slides under the sheets in the Toad House bed, he falls rocking side to side with "whoop whoop" noises when the balcony's out at Goombario's house, the Goomba King's castle has fold-out stairs, stuff like that. It doesn't do the paper form transformations like TTYD does, but it does at least acknowledge that things are made of paper.

wateyad
Nov 17, 2007

The power of the Outsider is

...dat ass
:yosbutt:

Crowetron posted:

I remember really liking Tales of Destiny when I was younger (that's the one with the talking swords, right?) but I never hear anyone mention it when talking about Tales so I assume it doesn't hold up so well.

It has the same thing going on as Phantasia where it would feel weird to recommend because there’s a superior version that’s Japanese only but even more so because while the new versions of Phantasia have been incremental improvements, Destiny PS2 is a total, ground up, new game retelling the same story remake that some would argue the Director’s Cut thereof is still the best complete package in the series.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Max Wilco posted:

The snes translation patches aren't great. RS2's is missing most of the dialog, RS3's is about complete but never got past a first draft, both suffer from font problems that have never been addressed. Just not popular enough I guess.

RS2's remake isn't any worse than RS3's, I don't know what's up with the reviews. The menus are completely redone but aside from being obviously made for phones they're actually more functional than what you got in the original games. The font problems are fixed with the menus and the translations are solid aside from a few strange choices that people will grumble about forever. The new graphics clash a lot but at least more effort was put into them than Final Fantasy 6 got. There's some strange input lag that makes moving around feel awkward. So basically, they're mixed bags. I'd love to tell you to play the originals but if you can't read Japanese I think the remakes are the best choice. I had a great time with both of them.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

I love Tales of Destiny but have not replayed it in years and try not to hype up stuff that's probably pretty dated.

I still think it has my favorite Namco reference in it, what with having the secret dungeon be just freakin' Tower of Druaga, which requires you to get three crystal rods to enter and which also can be failed if you don't get the right items on the right floors and having you start over. Also Heihachi NPCs everywhere and a ton of references or just explicit ads for Tekken 3.

I also played and loved the remake but think I like Graces F's battle system ever so slightly more, though that probably has a lot to do with not having to reference a translation chart to look at upgrade stuff more than anything, lol. Also I liked the confusing dungeons in the original and the remake has replaced a lot of in-between areas with these... L-block hallways that just become really obvious when you notice, though I imagine that's a positive for everyone else.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Elephant Parade posted:

any half-decent snes game is better than a lot of games today. a lot of games today are very bad

Buddy there were a lot of SNES games that were pure trash fire. SNES also has the advantage of being one of the generations that aged really well.

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

Ulio posted:

Buddy there were a lot of SNES games that were pure trash fire. SNES also has the advantage of being one of the generations that aged really well.
I didn't intend to imply otherwise. I could've been clearer about that, though I think the second half of my post helps.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

it is okay to hype up old rpgs if you like them. anybody who consciously picks up a retro rpg knows that that is what they are doing and probably enjoys them!

again i am not sure why this comes up so much in tales discussions but not about dragon quest or final fantasy. it is uncontroversial to recommend ff7, dragon quest 5, etc. as classics worth playing, whether in their original release form or a more modern re-release. are they for everybody? no. but rpg state of the art hasn't advanced so much that someone who likes modern rpgs would find nothing to enjoy in 90s rpgs.

wateyad posted:

It has the same thing going on as Phantasia where it would feel weird to recommend because there’s a superior version that’s Japanese only but even more so because while the new versions of Phantasia have been incremental improvements, Destiny PS2 is a total, ground up, new game retelling the same story remake that some would argue the Director’s Cut thereof is still the best complete package in the series.

why does this matter? it is a different game. a 3D game! if a 2D zelda was remade in 3D, would that immediately result in people feeling weird about recommending the 2D version?

recommend what you want to recommend, with whatever caveats you feel are necessary, and trust in your audience to know whether your recommendation lines up with their tastes. nobody is going to sink 40 hours into tales of destiny because they read your post and then say "man, i actually really hate retro rpgs and would rather have played something more modern." they will just not play it in the first place, or bounce off very early, because it is not appealing to them.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
The PS2 remake of Destiny is excellent. It's missing a lot of the weird off the wall PS1 stuff like secret spells and summons and getting any spell on anyone, but on the flip side it's incredibly polished and has shockingly little grinding content (especially if you've played later Tales which are packed with "do everything 500 times" style meters).

Story-wise, while it is very much a remake of an old game, the writing has been punched up and is actually legit. Like, all the non-magical characters who only showed up as worse guests in the original are promoted to full time party members and they're always present and relevant. Mary is Rutee's best friend so she's actually a big part of her late game development, Kongman got a full personality transplant, Johnny is cool, Chelsea exists but they didn't have a lot to work with.

It is very much an entirely different product from Destiny and also one of my favorite video games ever.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Jazerus posted:

it is okay to hype up old rpgs if you like them. anybody who consciously picks up a retro rpg knows that that is what they are doing and probably enjoys them!

again i am not sure why this comes up so much in tales discussions but not about dragon quest or final fantasy. it is uncontroversial to recommend ff7, dragon quest 5, etc. as classics worth playing, whether in their original release form or a more modern re-release. are they for everybody? no. but rpg state of the art hasn't advanced so much that someone who likes modern rpgs would find nothing to enjoy in 90s
Destiny PS1 is a wholly inferior experience to Destiny PS2. It doesn't come up with ff or dq because all the improved versions got translated, and because FF7 remake is not a completely superior product than FF7 psx.

And also destiny DC is not a 3d game. Why do you keep trying to lecture people on how to talk about a series you clearly know nothing about.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Crowetron posted:

it's one of the most historically popular games in the series in japan thanks to people wanting lion to make out with stahn, but the game itself is such an early entry that it's got some pretty rough edges so the original ps1 game isn't super appealing to go back to. the ps2 remake is fun though, it has one of the most unique battle systems in the series, totally redesigns a lot of characters to have weirder and flashier combat styles, and throws stahn's sister in as a playable character

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Is Tales of Eternia worth hunting down on the PSP?