Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
I was watching a pretty good documentary on HBO called Welcome to Chechnya about the plight of LGBTQ people in Russia and it was pretty harrowing but they used these digital face replacements to disguise the people in it and they were so distracting and weird looking that it pretty much took me out of the whole story multiple times during my watch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blood_dot_biz
Feb 24, 2013
A long while back someone mentioned in this thread that Prime had uploaded a bunch of Seijun Suzuki movies. I added them all to my watchlist but didn't check them all out until recently. I just finished going through the ones I hadn't seen and wanted to encourage people to dive in! As of right now they're all still free on Prime.

Hard Recommendations: Kagero-za, Yumeji

These two movies are the second and third parts of Suzuki's loosely linked Taisho Trilogy. They're very abstract films dealing with artists, death, and love. If possible I'd recommend going into these after having seen some of his earlier movies. So much of the truly wild stuff he does in these films is present to some degree in his earlier work, but here it's more refined and presented uncluttered by any sort of responsibility to studio sensibility. Going in with director context I think makes these more digestible than they'd otherwise be. Nearly every frame of these movies has something interesting going on, and they sort of blew me away. I personally enjoyed Kagero-za more, but Yumeji is a little more immediately coherent, and both are unlike the work of any other director I've personally seen.

Recommendations: Voice Without a Shadow, The Man with a Shotgun

Both fun movies, and also ones that showcase elements of Suzuki's style without sacrificing too much clarity. For those who care, Jo Shishido shows up for a bit in Voice Without a Shadow. Neither of these movies reaches the heights of his more well known stuff like Branded to Kill or Tokyo Drifter, but I still think they're fun.

Soft Recommendations: Smashing the 0-Line, The Boy Who Came Back

Smashing the 0-Line was largely incomprehensible to me, and judging by other reviews I read I'm not alone. That said, a lot of what makes it so is indicative of stylistic techniques that Suzuki uses to better effect in later movies, so in that sense I think it's worth watching. It also has some extremely cool individual scenes and details.

The Boy Who Came Back was overly idealistic and sweet for my tastes, but still has consistently interesting shots, edits, locations, and choices in direction.

Skippable: Teenage Yakuza, Tokyo Knights

IMO these are only worth watching if you're interested in going through the entirety of Suzuki's filmography. They've each got flashes of what makes him an interesting director, but are otherwise largely uninteresting and forgettable.

Misc: Everything Goes Wrong

I've seen it before but it's been so long that I don't remember that much about it. I recall liking it, but literally can't remember a single other detail. I wanted to mention it so it doesn't get ignored, but I don't really feel comfortable categorizing it.

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

nate fisher posted:

I guess that is coming from one was everywhere while the other felt like it got overshadowed. The Queen movie left me cold on it’s subject, while Rocketman connected on a more human level.

I feel like it is more a millennial or younger issue. My kids all loved the Queen movie, and once I got around to watching it I had to fake like I enjoyed it to my kids. I just didn’t want to piss all over their enjoyment and new found love of Queen.

Edit: By the way I’m 47. I do normally prefer Queen’s music to Elton John’s, but that is because 80’s Elton John was cheesy as hell to me growing up. Still I don’t think Queen ever wrote a song as good as Rocketman, Your Song, or Tiny Dancer.

It took me until this post to realize film in question was not, in fact, The Rocketeer.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Fartington Butts posted:

Splice popped up on Netflix recently. I watched it. Here's my review: Never ever ever loving watch Splice. Jesus christ it's an hour of NOTHING HAPPENING and then it's like 40 minutes where the most horrendous things, including rape and DeviantArt level sex, happen.

...eh? I liked Splice. it's a fun mad-science procedural that just goes absolutely loving buckwild in the last act, and while it does get very weird and gross, "weird and gross" is also exactly what it's going for so that's hard to hold against it.

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

WeedlordGoku69 posted:

...eh? I liked Splice. it's a fun mad-science procedural that just goes absolutely loving buckwild in the last act, and while it does get very weird and gross, "weird and gross" is also exactly what it's going for so that's hard to hold against it.

Welp, gross and weird movies are right up my alley. Probably going to watch it tomorrow night. I have some Harry Potter goes Liam Neeson movie queued up for tonight on Prime, iirc.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

MasqueradeOverture posted:

My family waited 3 days to watch Hamilton since they were waiting for me being home to join, so I sit down with them... but since the streaming bit-rate looked like poo poo, the black levels on my X900f from either corner of the room are not optimal (they took the couch directly in front of the TV), and the speakers were out of commission since the cat chewed through the wires, I bailed immediately because optimal first-time viewing experience of this thing is more important than these sorry fucks. gently caress.

I should've bought an OLED. And hid my speaker wires better.

There was a minor thing where Disney might be doing a lovely job encoding its HDR content (and I presume Hamilton carries the flags for it).

I can't speak for your cat though.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

pumped up for school posted:

It took me until this post to realize film in question was not, in fact, The Rocketeer.

also a good movie, frankly

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Anyone got a trip report on the Ju On TV show?

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

pumped up for school posted:

They're actually talking about RocketMan with Harland Williams (and written by Craig Mazin of Chernobyl fame).

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

veni veni veni posted:

Somebody in the horror thread recommended it. From the description it treats the movies as fictional adaptations of real events.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
yea sounds like a neat idea, I need to watch it still but I'm into a 'reboot' for Ju On where they use the movies like that.

big boi
Jun 11, 2007

Watched the first episode of Dark on a friend's rec. Not sure if I'll end up watching all of it but it seems like a better Stranger Things

big boi fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Jul 6, 2020

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004

big boi posted:

Watched the first episode of Dark on a friend's rec. Not sure if I'll end up watching all of it but it seems like a better Stranger Things

Funny you just posted this because I just finished season 3... it’s not good.

I still think season one was worth watching. Season two is when it went off the rails but I stuck through it because I was still intrigued by how audacious it was. Season three I would recommend skipping all together.

big boi
Jun 11, 2007

Noted, I'll probably watch the first season then

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

big boi posted:

Noted, I'll probably watch the first season then

I’m through S3E3 right now (no judgement of this season yet) and it’s kind of remarkable how insanely complicated it becomes. Each of the season endings stingers are crazy escalations so I’m glad they stuck to three seasons and didn’t try to keep outdoing themselves. I can’t even expand on that without spoiling something.

In the first two episodes I was worried they might have nerfed Hannah in this season but lol nope! Hannah best character

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

WeedlordGoku69 posted:

Yeah Splice fuckin owns

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos

veni veni veni posted:

It features a lot of very hosed up poo poo, there's a very gnarly rape scene early on and there's a lot of domestic abuse, a lot of it against children. I'm not too far in so I can't say if it leads anywhere insightful or if it's pure cheap shock value, but it's a pretty rough watch so far and I'm not terribly hopeful. It's 6 half hour episodes though so I'll probably stick it out and see where it leads.

The actual haunting stuff is more on the periphery, at least early on, but in general it's pretty good.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal
Dark is absolutely phenomenal and I just finished season 3 and loved every second of it. Its fantastic and a great ride with a satisfying ending IMO. I cant fathom calling season 3 "not good".

Its a super complex time travel story but its mostly a story about love, consequences and the complex perils of human connection and it nails that real good.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

precision posted:

Yeah Splice fuckin owns

Yeah you get to see two dick monsters kill each other.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

After binging The Great last week, I finally got around to watching The Favourite last night. I've been kinda lukewarm on Yorgos, but I thought this was great. Much funnier than I was expecting.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
Fire saga is a moderately funny movie, but it should be praised for the final singing sequence which has 2 1/2 minutes where every single camera shot is a sweeping 360.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

It's not my kind of music at all but that final song was like, drat.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I'm mainly mad right now I never heard how good Doom Patrol was

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007

Golden Bee posted:

Fire saga is a moderately funny movie, but it should be praised for the final singing sequence which has 2 1/2 minutes where every single camera shot is a sweeping 360.

This is VERY Eurovision. I remember when this video was making the rounds:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C3TBvJUtuHs

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

sexpig by night posted:

Its a roller coaster for me, in happy Brendan Frasier is working again but then I get sad when they show what he looks like now.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal

Golden Bee posted:

I appreciated Fire Saga because even though it is incredibly stupid humor, it isnt obnoxious and loud out about it. Im totally happy watching some dumb goofy comedy as long as it doesn't resemble something like The Wrong Missy.

The recurring elf gag and its climax was so perfect.

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.

Superrodan posted:

This is VERY Eurovision. I remember when this video was making the rounds:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C3TBvJUtuHs

Yeah I went into that movie expecting a silly parody but it really was just a love letter to the last decade of Eurovison.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Eurovision could've been good but it just didn't land with me. The biggest laugh came when I saw Edinburgh's revised geography.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Pursuant to the Christopher Guest talk, I recall not being high on A Mighty Wind when it came out, but after rewatching all his movies over the past couple days, I actually enjoyed it more than For Your Consideration, which was not nearly as laugh out loud funny as I remember

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

sexpig by night posted:

Happy is good as well. Double dipping Grant Morrison inspired stuff is a good time.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Doom Patrol is one of the best shows in recent memory, period. It's such a perfect storm of talent.

It's tied with The Boys and Preacher S4 for best comic show imo

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
Will I enjoy the Eurovision movie if I have no idea what Eurovision is?

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

blood_dot_biz posted:

A long while back someone mentioned in this thread that Prime had uploaded a bunch of Seijun Suzuki movies. I added them all to my watchlist but didn't check them all out until recently. I just finished going through the ones I hadn't seen and wanted to encourage people to dive in! As of right now they're all still free on Prime.

Hard Recommendations: Kagero-za, Yumeji

These two movies are the second and third parts of Suzuki's loosely linked Taisho Trilogy. They're very abstract films dealing with artists, death, and love. If possible I'd recommend going into these after having seen some of his earlier movies. So much of the truly wild stuff he does in these films is present to some degree in his earlier work, but here it's more refined and presented uncluttered by any sort of responsibility to studio sensibility. Going in with director context I think makes these more digestible than they'd otherwise be. Nearly every frame of these movies has something interesting going on, and they sort of blew me away. I personally enjoyed Kagero-za more, but Yumeji is a little more immediately coherent, and both are unlike the work of any other director I've personally seen.

Recommendations: Voice Without a Shadow, The Man with a Shotgun

Both fun movies, and also ones that showcase elements of Suzuki's style without sacrificing too much clarity. For those who care, Jo Shishido shows up for a bit in Voice Without a Shadow. Neither of these movies reaches the heights of his more well known stuff like Branded to Kill or Tokyo Drifter, but I still think they're fun.

Soft Recommendations: Smashing the 0-Line, The Boy Who Came Back

Smashing the 0-Line was largely incomprehensible to me, and judging by other reviews I read I'm not alone. That said, a lot of what makes it so is indicative of stylistic techniques that Suzuki uses to better effect in later movies, so in that sense I think it's worth watching. It also has some extremely cool individual scenes and details.

The Boy Who Came Back was overly idealistic and sweet for my tastes, but still has consistently interesting shots, edits, locations, and choices in direction.

Skippable: Teenage Yakuza, Tokyo Knights

IMO these are only worth watching if you're interested in going through the entirety of Suzuki's filmography. They've each got flashes of what makes him an interesting director, but are otherwise largely uninteresting and forgettable.

Misc: Everything Goes Wrong

I've seen it before but it's been so long that I don't remember that much about it. I recall liking it, but literally can't remember a single other detail. I wanted to mention it so it doesn't get ignored, but I don't really feel comfortable categorizing it.

thanks, friend, i had no idea so many of his flicks were on prime. much obliged

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007

OldSenileGuy posted:

Will I enjoy the Eurovision movie if I have no idea what Eurovision is?

It's a movie where loving Eurovision goes a long way to appreciating certain elements. You won't get a bunch of the cameos and references, but it will probably still be enjoyable because its a generally by the numbers kind of movie. There aren't a TON of surprises. That said, all you really need to know about Eurovision is that it's a music competition where all the countries send a pop song that is meant to appeal to a huge variety of other countries, and the stage performances are very over the top.

EDIT: Oh, one other thing you might wanna know, is that the voting is also very political. On the surface, each country assigns point values to a few other countries who's song they like. So for example, the UK might give 12 points to Ireland, 10 points to Norway, and 8 points to Switzerland or something.

The idea is to rate only the songs and musical performance of the other countries, but it's a known fact that those point ratings are influenced by things outside of the competition. Countries that are allies or close geographically, or politically similar will often assign points to their fellow countries regardless of the song they submit. So in the movie they don't bring any of this up explicitly, but it might explain why some countries do better in certain stages of the competition than you'd think, and they do mention "so and so is expected to do well" and part of it comes from that.

Superrodan fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Jul 7, 2020

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.
May I also say Better Call Saul is a masterpiece?

Does AMC have a streaming service, or do I have to wait a whole rear end year before S5 is on Netflix (because if so I might just buy the whole season on Prime).

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

I actually started to get bored halfway through season 4 and just forgot to continue watching. I have heard though that it picks up near the end and I wonder if I should go back to it.

quote:

Does AMC have a streaming service, or do I have to wait a whole rear end year before S5 is on Netflix (because if so I might just buy the whole season on Prime).

I think I actually read that they are coming out with one, and that Mad Men is apparently no longer on Netflix because of it. I'm glad I just finished my second rewatch (this year) just a few weeks ago.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

They got me, I did that. My defense is that it was during my most quarantined. Season 5 might have been the best one and I don't regret my purchase.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Nihonniboku posted:

I think I actually read that they are coming out with one, and that Mad Men is apparently no longer on Netflix because of it. I'm glad I just finished my second rewatch (this year) just a few weeks ago.

Mad Men got pulled from Netflix because Lionsgate owns the distribution rights and they and Netflix have been in a pissing match for years. Sony has the Better Call Saul rights, and thus far they're still pretty cozy with Netflix as long as the price is right.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

Timby posted:

Mad Men got pulled from Netflix because Lionsgate owns the distribution rights and they and Netflix have been in a pissing match for years. Sony has the Better Call Saul rights, and thus far they're still pretty cozy with Netflix as long as the price is right.

I’m guessing Mad Men ends up on Peacock, seeing as how NBCUniversal and Lionsgate made a deal for content carriage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cosmin
Aug 29, 2008

precision posted:

It's tied with The Boys and Preacher S4 for best comic show imo

So Preacher season 4 is good? I stopped around the end of s1 as I found it a bit underwhelming