Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

##vote merk

This Jen X thing doesn’t feel accurate to me. I see and understand the arguments, but I dunno. I’m gonna put the scummy things she’s done into a shoebox rn and wait til I see worse things

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

the trad games jinho

Sandwolf posted:

##vote merk

This Jen X thing doesn’t feel accurate to me. I see and understand the arguments, but I dunno. I’m gonna put the scummy things she’s done into a shoebox rn and wait til I see worse things

Yeah, it's poo poo I'm mentally compiling but the second vote felt weird in conjunction to the vote on you which by itself I understood her reaction. Still feel good on Tokes.

What is the case on merk? I'll go back but merk pretty much always reads the same to me which sometimes gets tiring because I feel like I'll have his thought process down, respond to it, then he goes after me at some point not long after which is fine because I like playing defensive and getting everything out there.

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Merk is victim to his reputation

I think jen’s reaction to sandwolf’s post is a much stronger indicator than her reaction to mine. Omgus is a null tell

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

t a s t e posted:

I think jen’s reaction to sandwolf’s post is a much stronger indicator than her reaction to mine. Omgus is a null tell

lol of course you do

DGK2000
May 3, 2007

Hotel Soap is super proud of his little perfumed balls that never get dirty or stinky

t a s t e posted:

Merk is victim to his reputation

This is untrue. Just skim his posts in Magic Schoolbus or When Mods Collide. I was scum with him in the latter, and this is exactly how he played there. I was town in Schoolbus and he killed me N1, where he posted exactly as low effort. Merks town game isn't throwing down a D1 vote by calling people town.

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Jen X posted:

lol of course you do

Say more

DGK2000 posted:

This is untrue. Just skim his posts in Magic Schoolbus or When Mods Collide. I was scum with him in the latter, and this is exactly how he played there. I was town in Schoolbus and he killed me N1, where he posted exactly as low effort. Merks town game isn't throwing down a D1 vote by calling people town.

He’s played low effort town as well of late but I can’t cite chapter and verse

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

Deadbeat Dad posted:

Are you implying that Sandwolf's posts/taste's posts are knowingly wrong/misguided from their pov and that means they're scum?

Here's an attempt to answer what I think you're asking:

I think taste is giving an overly dramatic flair to my reading of sandwolf's question as asking a question he himself has already answered, and I'm giving sandwolf the benefit of the doubt that he's asking the question other people seem to think he's asking (why is merk giving these specific choices) and not what I parsed it as (why Jen X at all). I'm doing this because the actual reason for why I said "on our side" is an aesthetic vocabulary choice stemming from a desire to avoid repeating the word town, I'm being given the benefit of the doubt on that reasoning, and I feel it best to reciprocate for the sake of being pleasant and fair.

Taste is spouting bullshit because there's nothing "opportunistic" about my vote, I saw what looked to be sandwolf asking an insincere question for brownie points and so voted him to prompt a response and further conversation. This is not opportunism; what am I gaining from this? What "opportunity" am I taking with it?

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Ok, thanks. In the context where you had that reading your vote makes sense.

##unvote

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

That’s townie points for Jen X in my book imo, that’s a pretty good post

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

I think that’s a bit generous. It would be hypocritical of me to hang onto a somewhat solitary position while founding it based on Jen claiming to have done the same thing, but mere explanation doesn’t render a player more towny

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

It just seems like a weird bit of content lurking to me I guess

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

It does if I find the explanation to be understandable?

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Sandwolf posted:

It does if I find the explanation to be understandable?

Town aren’t the only ones who can make sense op

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Sure but until meek responds to some pressure I’m happy with my vote

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

t a s t e posted:

Town aren’t the only ones who can make sense op

hosed up if true...

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

There’s not really anything for merk to respond to imo

“You aren’t like this” doesn’t allow for a lot of content right

DGK2000
May 3, 2007

Hotel Soap is super proud of his little perfumed balls that never get dirty or stinky

t a s t e posted:

There’s not really anything for merk to respond to imo

“You aren’t like this” doesn’t allow for a lot of content right

He's going to come in with an omgus, shade one other player who voted him, and then call someone town.

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

DGK2000 posted:

He's going to come in with an omgus, shade one other player who voted him, and then call someone town.

In one swoop combining Jen and sandwolf

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

Sub Rosa posted:

Really? Seems pretty weak to make an alignment call based on it.

Judge stuff in the context of the game at the time.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

DGK2000 posted:

My introduction d1 content here is “exactly how” I played an entire game of scum elsewhere? What?

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

Sandwolf posted:

##vote merk

I voted her based off of one post she made in response to content game.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

merk posted:

---

JX has the scummiest content game answer. Buddying up to yuming in a weird way.

Did you not read my posts, Sandwolf? Can you please explain your vote further?

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

Jen X posted:

Here's an attempt to answer what I think you're asking:

I think taste is giving an overly dramatic flair to my reading of sandwolf's question as asking a question he himself has already answered, and I'm giving sandwolf the benefit of the doubt that he's asking the question other people seem to think he's asking (why is merk giving these specific choices) and not what I parsed it as (why Jen X at all). I'm doing this because the actual reason for why I said "on our side" is an aesthetic vocabulary choice stemming from a desire to avoid repeating the word town, I'm being given the benefit of the doubt on that reasoning, and I feel it best to reciprocate for the sake of being pleasant and fair.

Taste is spouting bullshit because there's nothing "opportunistic" about my vote, I saw what looked to be sandwolf asking an insincere question for brownie points and so voted him to prompt a response and further conversation. This is not opportunism; what am I gaining from this? What "opportunity" am I taking with it?

Ok, so who is scum?

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

DGK2000 posted:

Ok, I am not a lazy player as any alignment. However, I see what is happening here. I do not play Internet party games on weekends or when I have my kiddo (through Monday on some weekends) beyond maybe phone posts. The reason is that, during the summer weekends, I am not at my home. With that backdrop, I opened this game for the first time yesterday after a holiday weekend and worked with the very light content available to me. I found two kind of basic scum reads; it was all I saw.

Look at those other games you note and see how my posting picks up once the weekend ends. For example, in school bus I start posting heavily on 5/26. DBD can attest that this isn’t indicative of alignment because of Survivor. The game started when I was gone over a weekend and I rolled in and raised hell as best as I could when I got back. This effort shift is not indicative of alignment - it is indicative of circumstance.

DGK, you made a meta case without understanding any of this. Do you still believe in it now that you do?

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
DBD looks like he’s fence sitting, but I’ve been wrong before on that same read of him so I’m letting it go for now.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
##unvote

Jen X holding feet to the fire with reactionary votes is good.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
I don’t think Sandwolf actually read my posts before voting me. Agree with it or not, my Jen X read was pretty clear. Sandwolf didn’t see it and then justifies his vote with bullshit later.

##vote Sandwolf

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
New meta comment: this is the most active I’ve ever seen Fisk d1?

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

DGK2000 posted:

Well I was going to respond to this by saying that unlike in When Mods Collide merk didn't start immediately flailing, and then I finished reading the thread.

##vote merk

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

merk posted:

The cagey response is a town tell. I agree. ##unvote; ##vote Jen X

Sandwolf posted:

why Jen X then?

--THE POST SANDWOLF DIDN'T READ--

Jen X posted:

yuming was good as town in the one game I remember her from (winefia) so I hope she's on our side

merk posted:

JX has the scummiest content game answer. Buddying up to yuming in a weird way.
--NOW BACK TO THE CONTEXT--

Sandwolf posted:

people have made the other points but additionally, it felt like he was setting up a dichotomy of “either Jen X or Tokes” - which felt scummiest to me

Sandwolf posted:

##vote merk

These last two bullshit posts scream scum to me. I've bolded especially hot bullshittery for you to see with your own eyes.

Reasons why bolded is bullshit:
1. "people have made other points" but he won't comment on them at all.
2. "dichotomy of Jen X or Tokes" as some ultimatum d1 strategy of mine on literally my first posts of the game
3. He doesn't comment on the "arguments." Also, I only made one argument for her being scum and it's plain as day.

There ya go. This isn't a real case. This is a made up one, a lazy one at that. It's like he read the cliff notes to the game and then started bullshitting once the teacher asked him to explain himself.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

Sub Rosa posted:

Well I was going to respond to this by saying that unlike in When Mods Collide merk didn't start immediately flailing, and then I finished reading the thread.

##vote merk

I don't understand this vote. Why are you saying I'm scum?

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

Saying anything is "opportunistic" when there's no bandwagon or clear direction on anyone, is stupid.

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

merk posted:

--THE POST SANDWOLF DIDN'T READ--

--NOW BACK TO THE CONTEXT--

These last two bullshit posts scream scum to me. I've bolded especially hot bullshittery for you to see with your own eyes.

2. "dichotomy of Jen X or Tokes" as some ultimatum d1 strategy of mine on literally my first posts of the game
3. He doesn't comment on the "arguments." Also, I only made one argument for her being scum and it's plain as day.

There ya go. This isn't a real case. This is a made up one, a lazy one at that. It's like he read the cliff notes to the game and then started bullshitting once the teacher asked him to explain himself.

this post I like

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
Yeah that was a good post by merk, especially that second point of Sandwolf's post.

merk posted:

I don't get this creating a dichotomy vibe at all and don't really know where it came from.

Sub Rosa posted:

##vote merk

And I don't understand how coming in with a bunch of reads when you have two votes on you is flailing?

##vote Sub Rosa

That was a very bad vote.

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

Sub Rosa posted:

##vote merk

So you are saying merks recent bout of effort posting is flailing? In what way?

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

drat it Asiina

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

Sandwolf posted:

That’s townie points for Jen X in my book imo, that’s a pretty good post

Expound please. It is a well written post but any post that starts by throwing shade on the question being answered is already a little suspicious in my book. The rest of the first paragraph is just a flowery way to brush aside concerns. What was the "townie" part?

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

Hal Incandenza posted:

Expound please. It is a well written post but any post that starts by throwing shade on the question being answered is already a little suspicious in my book. The rest of the first paragraph is just a flowery way to brush aside concerns. What was the "townie" part?

I also think that Jen X post is questionable.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

merk posted:

I don't understand this vote. Why are you saying I'm scum?

Yeah, okay, sure. To start I agreed with thinking Tokes' post was weird. Not weird enough to think Tokes was scum, but weird, and weird enough to deserve comment. I felt Hal and your posts in defense were even weirder, and possibly scummier. You told me

merk posted:

Judge stuff in the context of the game at the time.
but I feel I am, and don't feel you claiming that was what you were doing makes me think you claiming having a town read on Tokes is less weird or scummy.

My entire experience of you merk is reading along with The Good Place where you were town, and playing When Mods Collide where you were scum. Your posting does remind me more of your play in When Mods Collide as well, so I agree with DGK on that. I don't think it has anything to do with weekend / non-weekend posting for me, and that's your defense.

So on top of the weird defense of Tokes, you also vote Jen X in the same post.

merk posted:

The cagey response is a town tell. I agree. ##unvote; ##vote Jen X
This comes off weird because what does claiming a town read on Tokes have to do with voting Jen X? You're now pointing to "But I actually said I thought Jen X was scummier earlier." Yeah, okay, sure. I mean, I think the "our town" part of that post is more eye raising, like I don't see the read that Jen X is buddying up with Yuming is anything to justify a vote. But it's D1, so whatever, but it's still a weird alignment call to me on top of the weird alignment call on Tokes.

merk posted:

1) seems weird. Here are the other points

Sub Rosa posted:

But merk wasn't responding to or quoting Sandwolf?

t a s t e posted:

sandwolf’s asking what makes a vote on you preferable, not what could cause it.
What comment does he need to me?
2) I think it's fair to pick up that their is something weird in you providing a vote on Jen X in the same post as you giving a Tokes town read.
3) The arguments are your Yuming buddy thing and the "our side" stuff. You pointing out that you only voted on the one I think is less weird doesn't help you in my eyes. Sandwolf is still referring to both.

Hal Incandenza posted:

So you are saying merks recent bout of effort posting is flailing? In what way?
Very much reminds me of how merk posted in D2 of When Mods Collide after being pressured by sci, and that's a game merk was scum. As to how it's flailing, it's 12 posts in a row including an OMGUS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

Sub Rosa posted:

So on top of the weird defense of Tokes, you also vote Jen X in the same post.

This comes off weird because what does claiming a town read on Tokes have to do with voting Jen X? You're now pointing to "But I actually said I thought Jen X was scummier earlier." Yeah, okay, sure. I mean, I think the "our town" part of that post is more eye raising, like I don't see the read that Jen X is buddying up with Yuming is anything to justify a vote. But it's D1, so whatever, but it's still a weird alignment call to me on top of the weird alignment call on Tokes.

I went from one scum read to my next, and only other, scum read.

quote:

Very much reminds me of how merk posted in D2 of When Mods Collide after being pressured by sci, and that's a game merk was scum. As to how it's flailing, it's 12 posts in a row including an OMGUS.

As town:
I frequently post twelve times in a row. I am sure that I did it in Good Place numerous times.

I frequently vote people who are voting me with strong casework. Not only is this not OMGUS, hiding behind buzz word case hunting isn't going to get you very far.

When people vote me, I frequently ramp up the casework and voting because people talking about me is one of the best ways for me to find scum. I know that I'm town, so I know that their cases are wrong in some way. Are they wrong because they are genuine town (maybe DGK?) or are they wrong because they are faking stuff (what I think Sandwolf is doing)?

I hope that helps.