Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

t a s t e posted:

He’s played low effort town as well of late but I can’t cite chapter and verse

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3920648&userid=37071

Also, from that game:

merk posted:

I’m with my kiddo at the lake this weekend. My activity will pick up Monday.

In short, I’ll be here but don’t expect anything great.

and I did find scum with my first case... but was not persuasive due to being unable to put in the effort

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

merk posted:

Ok, so who is scum?

I am voting someone, friend

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

Jen X posted:

I am voting someone, friend

Got anything else?

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

merk posted:

Got anything else?

not offhand, no

Token Female
Apr 2, 2007

If I hear the music...
Hey y'all. This is going to be weird.

I’ve given this idea a significant amount of thought, and I would like to make a rather odd proposal. I am proposing voting me out today (day 1). I am town, but I think that it would be a gain for the town overall if I was voted out. My role being removed from the game, specifically on day 1 and specifically how I am inclined to play the role if I were to live, would enable the roles of a few other people who are most likely to be town. Essentially, without giving too much away about my role and other people’s roles, I see my role (and how I would play it) as getting in the way of and hindering other town roles. The circumstances of my role could and will likely change as the game goes on, but as it currently stands, I think that it would be a net-positive for the town to vote me out.

Obviously I think that voting out scum over me would be the most beneficial thing for the town to do, but I’m not inspired by our day 1 so far. (I will comment on the cases/posts that have happened later today. I haven’t read the last page or two closely. Maybe y’all made a great case and I haven’t read it yet). But I think that this is legitimately not a bad idea to possibly a good idea for the town.

Furthermore, to clear up some questions that I assume that you are likely going to have since I’m not going to be around for next few hours likely:
Q: What’s going on with your earlier day 1 posts?
A: I was just having fun. They don’t mean anything. I was trying to maybe pick some dumb fights for my own amusement.

Q: Why aren’t you voting for yourself if you think that voting yourself out is a good option?
A: First ##unvote. I’m going to try to find scum. It’s a better option. But voting me out is a good one, and one that I think should be on the table. Plus if you think that I’m scum then, all the more reason to do it I suppose.

Q: Are you a jester?
A: No. I’m town. I’m also not saying that voting me out on a later day will also be a good idea.

Q: Is this a gambit?
A: No I’m being as sincere as I can be. Take it for what you will.

Q: What’s your role?
A: I’m not interested in saying at this time.

Again, I want to state that I've given this a lot of thought. I'd be not inclined to post this, unless I truly thought that this would help give the town an edge to win the game. I realize that this does not take my scum hunting into account (though non-existent in the thread so far I will admit), but I think that the absence of my role could be quite strong for other roles in the game.

Spoonsy
Dec 6, 2005

Yeah, life is hilariously cruel.
Grimey Drawer
So you're saying it's in our interest to kill you now, before your role potentially becomes a hindrance to the town on future days? And that explicitly getting rid of you today is the best option, save from potentially hitting scum D1?

I know you "answered" this, but are we sure there isn't a Jester in this game?

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
Token: No.

votefinder
Jul 6, 2010

scoop scoop
Votecount for Day 1

merk (3): DGK2000, Sandwolf, Sub Rosa
Token Female (2): Mr. Humalong, merk, merk, Deadbeat Dad
DGK2000 (1): Spoonsy, DGK2000, DGK2000
Sandwolf (1): DGK2000, DGK2000, Jen X, Jen X, merk
Asiina (1): SolusLunes
Sub Rosa (1): Asiina
t a s t e (1): Jen X
hambeet (1): yuming
Jen X (0): merk, t a s t e, t a s t e, merk
Hal Incandenza (0): Mr. Humalong, Mr. Humalong, Asiina, Asiina
peramene (0): Jen X, Jen X
Spoonsy (0): Token Female, Token Female

Not Voting (7): Chic Trombone, Hal Incandenza, hambeet, NevergirlsOFFICIAL, peramene, t a s t e, Token Female

With 18 alive, it's 10 votes to execute. The current deadline is July 06th, 2020 at 8 p.m. CDT -- that's in about 10 hours, 40 minutes.

Spoonsy
Dec 6, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I'm still trying to wrap my head around the Tokes post. I am honestly at a loss as to what the gambit is here. This doesn't make sense as town or scum. If you're town, you're putting a "don''t kill me" target on your head for the scum in case your concerns about dampening other people's abilities are in fact correct. If you're town, you've let people know that their powers can become less than optimal and it's your fault. If you're 3P, that does feel like something that could benefit you at the expense of everyone else though.

Is it weird I'd actually be alright with lunching Tokes today for the flip information?

yuming
Feb 26, 2008

dance dance dance
I hope everyone had a nice 4th of July. :sun:

I will be back in an hour or so to catch up!

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Token Female posted:

specifically how I am inclined to play the role if I were to live
Why not instead be inclined to play the roll in a way that, oh, I dunno, helps town?

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
Chic has requested a replacement, I'm looking for one now.

There are a few people who haven't posted very much. I know the weekend start was rough, but please try to get up above 10 posts or we'll do the on notice/free lunch thing. If you also need a replacement, just let me know.

SolusLunes
Oct 10, 2011

I now have several regrets.

:barf:

Spoonsy posted:

So you're saying it's in our interest to kill you now, before your role potentially becomes a hindrance to the town on future days? And that explicitly getting rid of you today is the best option, save from potentially hitting scum D1?

I know what Tokes is referring to, being someone that would be "assisted" by it- that being said, if Tokes is town, the gain from it is so tiny and small and not worth it compared to having town lunched. It's not worth it and it's not a good strategy.

Spoonsy posted:

Is it weird I'd actually be alright with lunching Tokes today for the flip information?

Yeah, it kinda is. I think you might be reading into tokes' bad posts a bit too deeply, and I question how quickly you're willing to vote for someone that you think may be town or a jester.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
Also more than a little annoyed that if you are town and have a negative-utility role that you're asking to be voted out D1 before you even know much about the setup of the game and how your role plays into it. I'd trust Somber not to put in just like a "ha ha gently caress you town" town role, so it's just kind of a lovely thing to do to someone's game balance to be like "actually my role is so bad that you should vote me, a town."

Anyway, I'm gonna keep looking for scum and basically ignore that post ever happened, but won't be voting Tokes today because that really bugs me.

There's been quite a bit of content in the last 24 hours or so that the vote is much better served elsewhere.

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

One of my least favorite things about mafia threads is that even when someone makes long-rear end posts I have to read the whole thing. Token why wouldn't you fullclaim if you're going through this whole rigamarole? Is it somehow supposed to be good for mafia if you fullclaim? But if we do what you want you'll flip at the end of the day so we'll all know ANYWAY... right?

I still like Merk's case on sandwolf and will put my vote there at this point in time

## vote Sandwolf

Token Female
Apr 2, 2007

If I hear the music...
Part 1: Catching up.

merk posted:

---

JX has the scummiest content game answer. Buddying up to yuming in a weird way.

I see your point here on Jen X. I think the "on our side" is the weird part of JenX's post though. Semi-related, I always hope that Yuming is town because I don't think she gets much enjoyment from being scum.

t a s t e posted:

This strikes me as opportunistic. sandwolf’s asking what makes a vote on you preferable, not what could cause it.

##vote Jen x for this and the odd post addressed elsewhere
I’m not as supportive of this vote (as merk does vote later. I think that Jen X’s point about sandwolf calling her post questionable, then questioning merk vote regarding the same post is weird. I don’t see how this would be opportunistic. It’s a reasonable point at this point in the game. And I think that calling it opportunistic is dubious.

DBD will make a similar point later, and I agree with it.

Sandwolf posted:

people have made the other points but additionally, it felt like he was setting up a dichotomy of “either Jen X or Tokes” - which felt scummiest to me

I don’t feel that there was a dichotomy here as one of the two people in question.

DGK2000 posted:

##vote merk This is the same lazy as poo poo play he's had the last couple of his scum games and I'm not cool with it. He has enough to press people but is taking the lazy way out.

I don’t feel like Merk’s vote is bad. When it was made, there was like no content in the game. Like I don’t think that there is a better vote/case going on when he made the vote. How is this a“lazy as poo poo play”? I don’t understand.

Asiina posted:

I still like my Hal vote and don't want to move it yet, although I wish other people would comment on whether they think it's anything.

I agree with taste and it is opportunistic and Jen's OMGUS on him is a bad reason for a vote, but I dunno this feels like real emotion right now? Jen's reason is a bad reason, but I don't know if it's a scummy reason.

I could probably get behind a merk vote.

Also if nothing else, would vote a lurker at deadline. Chic's having a rough weekend and may replace out, so I'd choose pera or yuming who only have 3 and 4 posts.

This post troubles me. The stuff about Jen feels like it’s playing both sides and not committing. I also don’t know why the support of the merk case. I also don’t see the Merk case in general.

Token Female
Apr 2, 2007

If I hear the music...
Part 2: Thoughts:
-I feel good about merk. I don’t understand the case(s) against him really. It feels like he is trying and is willing to change his mind about things, and the cases that he’s making seems reasonable.
-I feel good about Jen X and DBD as well.

I feel less good about asiina. These posts bother me.

Asiina posted:

So let's not waste this D1, even if it's extra long. It looks like Somber put a lot of work into this flavour, which is very cool, and so I don't want it to be a lurky game.

Open question for everyone because I haven't played in a while and honestly don't have meta reads on most of you: who are you hoping isn't scum this game and why?

I feel like it's probably merk for me because he can either be disengaged or really aggro as a player, as either alignment and both I have a really hard time reading, especially the latter, since I tend to have a lot of doubt in my own reads when someone pushes back on them.

Asiina posted:

I still like my Hal vote and don't want to move it yet, although I wish other people would comment on whether they think it's anything.

I agree with taste and it is opportunistic and Jen's OMGUS on him is a bad reason for a vote, but I dunno this feels like real emotion right now? Jen's reason is a bad reason, but I don't know if it's a scummy reason.

Also if nothing else, would vote a lurker at deadline. Chic's having a rough weekend and may replace out, so I'd choose pera or yuming who only have 3 and 4 posts.

The first feels like a way to look like you are helping out, but not actually doing anything. While it did lead sort of lead something but I feel like it is a post more to look like generating something than actually generating anything.

The second post is also more looking like posting content, and validation of the case on Hal. Yeah, hal posting for the first time then is maybe a bit odd, but like he seems ~fine~. I also think that the stuff about JenX is very wishywashy.

##vote Asiina

I think the case on sandwolf is ok.

Token Female
Apr 2, 2007

If I hear the music...

Sub Rosa posted:

Why not instead be inclined to play the roll in a way that, oh, I dunno, helps town?

I'm a scorpion. It's who I am.

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

Strange request, I'm not inclined to comply

I think I'll ##vote JenX for now

I don't agree a whole lot with sandwolf, didn't think he was scummy at first but merks points are decent

I would vote SubRosa too

Spoonsy
Dec 6, 2005

Grimey Drawer

SolusLunes posted:

I know what Tokes is referring to, being someone that would be "assisted" by it- that being said, if Tokes is town, the gain from it is so tiny and small and not worth it compared to having town lunched. It's not worth it and it's not a good strategy.

Yeah, it kinda is. I think you might be reading into tokes' bad posts a bit too deeply, and I question how quickly you're willing to vote for someone that you think may be town or a jester.

Solus, do you and Tokes share an alignment?

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Tokes is probably a bus driver: mystery solved.

Merk coming in and flailing onto me specifically is a merk scum tell sooooo I’m not too plussed by this. Merk is trumping up an OMGUS with weak reasoning and people are nodding like, ‘yes of course, merk knows Whatsup.’

Sub Rosa pointed it out, but why would a statement about Tokes’ towniness lead to a Jen X vote?

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Hal Incandenza posted:

Strange request, I'm not inclined to comply

I think I'll ##vote JenX for now

I don't agree a whole lot with sandwolf, didn't think he was scummy at first but merks points are decent

I would vote SubRosa too

Something about this post feels off for Hal to me, too, but this is more vague

yuming
Feb 26, 2008

dance dance dance
Delayed response to content game: I hope Hal isn't scum because he is reasonable and reliable as town.

Unfortunately, he comes across quite similarly as scum and so I tend to give him a pass when I shouldn't.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
Amnistar replaces Chic Trombone

Votecount for Day 1

merk (3): DGK2000, Sandwolf, Sub Rosa
Sandwolf (2): DGK2000, DGK2000, Jen X, Jen X, merk, NevergirlsOFFICIAL
Asiina (2): SolusLunes, Token Female
Token Female (2): Mr. Humalong, merk, merk, Deadbeat Dad
DGK2000 (1): Spoonsy, DGK2000, DGK2000
Sub Rosa (1): Asiina
Jen X (1): merk, t a s t e, t a s t e, merk, Hal Incandenza
t a s t e (1): Jen X
hambeet (1): yuming
Hal Incandenza (0): Mr. Humalong, Mr. Humalong, Asiina, Asiina
peramene (0): Jen X, Jen X
Spoonsy (0): Token Female, Token Female

Not Voting (4): Amnistar, hambeet, peramene, t a s t e

With 18 alive, it's 10 votes to execute. The current deadline is July 06th, 2020 at 8 p.m. CDT -- that's in about 6 hours, 48 minutes.

SolusLunes
Oct 10, 2011

Spoonsy posted:

Solus, do you and Tokes share an alignment?

Don't know. I don't have any mechanical knowledge of her alignment. On a read level? Yeah, I think so, but a light town read on D1 means literally nothing.

I'm gonna go look at a couple people and their posting (or not posting, in the case of pera) and see if I can't find a scum.

SolusLunes
Oct 10, 2011

also I'm gonna ##unvote asiina because that was a jokephase vote and I don't think I agree with Tokes' reads on asiina.

yuming
Feb 26, 2008

dance dance dance
I have no issue with Jen X's comment about me. Her voting Sandwolf reads neutral to me. The worst part of her posting was her tone of not wanting to engage with the early D1 pressure on her. But once she explained herself I think being a bit flippant initially is fair on a D1 that takes place over the 4th.

DGK gave me a mild scummy ping for trying to get a reaction from me and ignoring my response but overall his posts are net neutral to me.

merk I don't think comes across as scummy.

I don't want to kill Tokes and don't think she's scum but that must be one weird role.

SolusLunes
Oct 10, 2011

Mr. Humalong posted:

##vote token female

hum is this a serious vote, I'm not sure and I would like to know

SolusLunes
Oct 10, 2011

also god everytime people call token female tokes, I keep wanting to call her tolly tokes

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

Sandwolf posted:

Tokes is probably a bus driver: mystery solved.

Merk coming in and flailing onto me specifically is a merk scum tell sooooo I’m not too plussed by this. Merk is trumping up an OMGUS with weak reasoning and people are nodding like, ‘yes of course, merk knows Whatsup.’

Sub Rosa pointed it out, but why would a statement about Tokes’ towniness lead to a Jen X vote?

Yuck.

yuming
Feb 26, 2008

dance dance dance

Token Female posted:

re: DGK

I don’t feel like Merk’s vote is bad. When it was made, there was like no content in the game. Like I don’t think that there is a better vote/case going on when he made the vote. How is this a“lazy as poo poo play”? I don’t understand.
What I'm seeing with Sandwolf/DGK/Rosa/Asiina is that merk can turn into a bit of a boogeyman and attract votes if there's enough ambient support.

This unique passive ability of merk's attracts both paranoid town and opportunistic scum votes.

Sandwolf and Rosa's votes are a bit messier in their explanation but on D1 I think that's a net +town point for willingness to show erratic behavior.

DGK I can talk myself into being scum because I can imagine him imitating his town game here by using talking points from recent games. I've said before this is something I do as scum, but in this game, I see DGK trying to provoke reactions but he dropped the thread with me. I said he sounded reasonable net-neutral because of his merk case and it is a reasonable case. However, it's an easy case to make as scum-DGK because it is just using explanations and content DGK has developed around merk in other recent games.

Not interested in voting DGK, but of the merk votes I can imagine him on the scummier side.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
My only negative on DGK is that his case uses extremely confident language very early in a d1.

yuming
Feb 26, 2008

dance dance dance
Next up is Asiina,

Asiina posted:

This off-hand support of voting merk is the worst of the bunch I think.

Asiina revoked it and moved onto Rosa who is playing their ?second? game I believe.

My take is similar to Tokes' case: Asiina is putting effort into content which is good, but there's an "only scratching the surface" feeling that feels low-key scummy to me.

I'd rank this read as similar to DGK: I can imagine it but I am not sold.

yuming
Feb 26, 2008

dance dance dance

Spoonsy posted:

I know we're still technically in joke, but this is not an answer that spawns any real confidence
This was in response to Tokes messing around.

Spoonsy posted:

Spoonsy posted:

I'm still trying to wrap my head around the Tokes post. I am honestly at a loss as to what the gambit is here. This doesn't make sense as town or scum. If you're town, you're putting a "don''t kill me" target on your head for the scum in case your concerns about dampening other people's abilities are in fact correct. If you're town, you've let people know that their powers can become less than optimal and it's your fault. If you're 3P, that does feel like something that could benefit you at the expense of everyone else though.

For some reason, spoonsy is only interested in interacting with Token Female. All of spoonsy's content is attached to her role and posts.

The worst part: despite this being his only handhold in the thread, spoonsy makes no actual alignment calls.

"Hmm, that's kinda weird! Maybe I'd vote there." *radio static*

I'm reading spoonsy as scum who is using Tokes as a way to ground himself in the thread but he's failing at making any coherent reads.

##vote spoonsy

yuming
Feb 26, 2008

dance dance dance
We have some lower content posters and I can't say I have any strong feelings there.

tbf I thought tomorrow was the deadline to give us some clearance on the holiday weekend. I would have made more effort to catch up yesterday.

hambeet, who is scum?

yuming
Feb 26, 2008

dance dance dance

merk posted:

My only negative on DGK is that his case uses extremely confident language very early in a d1.
On a surface level he reads similar to when he caught Sandwolf.

However, from a paranoid POV I'm like hmmm is he just imitating that here?

yuming
Feb 26, 2008

dance dance dance
Active posters I haven't really commented on yet: Hal, taste, DBD I am all content to file as town for now they are reading curious default-town for me.

I have never played with Nevergirls so I am p much at ? ? ? with that read.

Dearest players, what do you think of spoonsy as scum?

SolusLunes
Oct 10, 2011

yuming posted:

For some reason, spoonsy is only interested in interacting with Token Female. All of spoonsy's content is attached to her role and posts.

The worst part: despite this being his only handhold in the thread, spoonsy makes no actual alignment calls.

I'm reading spoonsy as scum who is using Tokes as a way to ground himself in the thread but he's failing at making any coherent reads.

##vote spoonsy

I'm interested to know what spoonsy's response is to my response to their question about alignments, but other than that, yeah, this is what I'm feeling. Suspicious about the shade without a vote.

##vote spoonsy

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

merk posted:

The biggest weakness of my town game is letting past games influence alignment reads of a current game. These aren't meta cases; they're just reactions to players I've played with before who I usually read as scummy (in this game: Sandwolf, DBD, Fisk).

I’m sorry but by your own words you lean scummy on me as default. For you to not have any self-awareness between these two posts is scummy dude. You always lean scummy on me, you think I’m scum here, but there’s no looping back to “do I actually think he’s scum or am I just thinking what I always do.”

I think pushing for me as scum is just the easiest place for you to put your feet up merk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

yuming posted:

##vote spoonsy

If this has any weight to it, it would require them both to be scum imo.

I don’t like this case and I don’t like Solus jumping in to support it and make it seem more legitimate.