Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

BUG JUG posted:

... Milwaukee?

If you can find a loving whale in Lake Michigan, please let me know. I've gotta see that poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Melthir
Dec 29, 2009

I need to go scrap some money together cause my avatar is just sad.

Flying_Crab posted:

If you can find a loving whale in Lake Michigan, please let me know. I've gotta see that poo poo.

.......I've seen the locals. Take 10 min max.

BUG JUG
Feb 17, 2005

Tbh I missed the whale part lol oops.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

Melthir posted:

Mother fuckers, we had a really high tide and alot of people here have rigged up a system that allows you to push your boat off the shore let it drift off the pull a rope and release your anchor. When you pull the rope again it will lift your anchor and allow you to pull the boat in by hand. Tide was like 17. Bunch of guys didn't have enough line out on there anchor so their boats floated off. They are now calling the Cg asking to be picked up then throwing a Karen fit when they are told bm at the station it's going to be a bit cause they are working a legit search and rescue case.

So they call call the base and start yelling at me cause BM2 fuckstick told them that they would not be picked up instantly and want a helo launched. I told them that's the stations call and get yelled at some more and told that they dont have enough food to make it through lunch....I pull the phone away and start laughing. Lady is straight furious at this point.This lady is legit trying to convince me she may die if she misses a lunch after already stating that she had no medical conditions that would need emergency treatment.

Would I be a dick if I called station and arranged for them to pick her up after dinner?

Dude, that's really rough. How were they supposed to know how high the tide would be? You can't predict that poo poo.

You guys charge for 'rescues', right?

Melthir
Dec 29, 2009

piL posted:

Dude, that's really rough. How were they supposed to know how high the tide would be? You can't predict that poo poo.

You guys charge for 'rescues', right?

Actually you can predict the tides. They have little books in every store here for a dollar and there are multiple apps. They have it down to the inch.

No, search and rescue is generally free.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Melthir posted:

Actually you can predict the tides. They have little books in every store here for a dollar and there are multiple apps. They have it down to the inch.

No, search and rescue is generally free.

I think he was being sarcastic.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Been on a self-hating roll by making a VMS/Declaration codes power point presentation and reading the NTSB report of SS EL FARO accident.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

nwin posted:

Only about the tides part!

I felt like people would be held accountable for accidently getting a vessel underway without the ability to maneuver as required by the rules, but I guess not.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

piL posted:

I felt like people would be held accountable for accidently getting a vessel underway without the ability to maneuver as required by the rules, but I guess not.

*Stares at the spike in the number of vessel casualties after months after of covid closures*

sure wish that would happened

Melthir
Dec 29, 2009

nwin posted:

I'm an idiot. News at 7.

Melthir
Dec 29, 2009

piL posted:

That would require accountability.

We had a dude buy a boat, sail it down and illegally fish along the way. Engine failed. Son tried to call the CG. The dad threw the kids phone in the water to prevent call. They rig makeshift sails from sheets and sleeping bags. They hailed a passing vessel who proceeded to call the CG. We tow this guy in and the whole time he is obviously trying to keep us from talking to his kid. We get them separated and the kid gleefully spills the beans. Legal gets involved. A year later we find out all that happened was they fined him 150 bucks. The gas we spent on the case cost more then that.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

Melthir posted:

That would require accountability.

We had a dude buy a boat, sail it down and illegally fish along the way. Engine failed. Son tried to call the CG. The dad threw the kids phone in the water to prevent call. They rig makeshift sails from sheets and sleeping bags. They hailed a passing vessel who proceeded to call the CG. We tow this guy in and the whole time he is obviously trying to keep us from talking to his kid. We get them separated and the kid gleefully spills the beans. Legal gets involved. A year later we find out all that happened was they fined him 150 bucks. The gas we spent on the case cost more then that.

Heck, that cell phone probably cost more than that. On one hand, more accountability for public costs. On the other hand while slavery and overfishing--with nets and trawls, not trolling--persist on the seas, maybe its inappropriate to be too heavy handed.

But the sea is trying to kill you and you should be scared of it. It is rigorous preparation and practiced skill that permits us defy her wrath.

just a kazoo
Mar 7, 2018
Sup goons, I'm a long time lurker who just sent in his application to join up with you coasties. I've done a bit of research so I don't have a ton of questions, mostly wanted to know how hard it is to get a position in Oregon, which is where I'm from (sounds like a number of you are or have been stationed here)? Trying to stay close to home if/when possible. My gut says most people are requesting deployments in warmer waters? I love Newport and Astoria but I grew up in Portland and Eugene (admittedly I've mostly sailed small boats on lakes, but did the Oregon Offshore a few years back).

I've got a degree in advertising but haven't been able to find a steady job despite my better efforts. Should I peruse OCS or just buckle down and learn a real trade?

I'm ready to get my rear end handed to me for the opportunity to make a decent career. Grew up racing sailboats so I've got a maritime connection and have always had a lot of respect for the guys in orange.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

just a kazoo posted:

Sup goons, I'm a long time lurker who just sent in his application to join up with you coasties. I've done a bit of research so I don't have a ton of questions, mostly wanted to know how hard it is to get a position in Oregon, which is where I'm from (sounds like a number of you are or have been stationed here)? Trying to stay close to home if/when possible. My gut says most people are requesting deployments in warmer waters? I love Newport and Astoria but I grew up in Portland and Eugene (admittedly I've mostly sailed small boats on lakes, but did the Oregon Offshore a few years back).

I've got a degree in advertising but haven't been able to find a steady job despite my better efforts. Should I peruse OCS or just buckle down and learn a real trade?

I'm ready to get my rear end handed to me for the opportunity to make a decent career. Grew up racing sailboats so I've got a maritime connection and have always had a lot of respect for the guys in orange.

OCS vs enlisted depends entirely what you want to do and get out of it. I got a bachelors in accounting then enlisted and stayed that way for 6 years. I was a BM and loved some work, hated parts of it. Then I went OCS. I’ve had some fun as an officer but nothing like the enlisted side. Paycheck and retirement is looking a lot sweeter though. 14 years in so far. You *can* have some great jobs and be a pilot or something like that or whatever interests you but I was too old for flight school and wanted to be home more, so there’s trade-offs.

For a real trade? Looking at EM, MK, ET, DC, some others? What kind of trade are you talking about?

Most will say don’t enlist with a degree. I think that’s true for a lot of branches but maybe not 100% accurate for the coast guard. Just give yourself a reality check that the person yelling at you might not have a degree and you spent a ton of money on something you aren’t using. If you’re ok with that, great. Ultimately I was not and wanted a bigger retirement so I went OCS.

just a kazoo
Mar 7, 2018
Part of what spurred my interest was I started considering going back to school to become an electrician (I've heard pulling wires is a great way to earn a living) and so my first thought was to do something like ET, EM or even AET. After a bit of research I'm pretty interested in OS or possibly IST as I come from a tech background. I feel like everything I've read about OS is that it's a boring desk job, but that doesn't sound terrible to me?

I didn't even think about OCS until I talked to the recruiter and he reminded me I was theoretically eligible. I'm trying not to put the cart in front of the horse and think about the long tern perks of being an officer too much until I'm a little further along, but I do naturally trend towards responsibility and leadership roles.

Either way I have to pass the medical (I had asthma and heart palpitations as a kid, all gone now) and see where I stand on the asvab before I get too set on what I want to do, right?

edit: missing words

just a kazoo
Mar 7, 2018
I am well accustomed to being yelled at by people with less education than me. I have zero delusions about my degree and know that those who do are a lot more valuable than those who think for a reason.

Melthir
Dec 29, 2009

I'm the dumb rear end who's going to have to repeatedly throw his name in the warrant officer hat. If you can do OCS do it. Get some merchant marine certs and make the cash.

just a kazoo
Mar 7, 2018
Is a warrant officer what it seems on the surface? Some kind of grey zone between officer and enlisted?

I do like cash... :shepspends:

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
On the books CWO2 and above count as commissioned officers (this is why the Air Force will never bring them back). They are technical experts, without the extraneous responsibilities most officers deal with, and without the command opportunities/distractions. In pay and authority, they typically fall into that gray area, yeah.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

just a kazoo posted:

Is a warrant officer what it seems on the surface? Some kind of grey zone between officer and enlisted?

I do like cash... :shepspends:

Plan on being enlisted for at least ten years and being an all-star before making warrant. 15 years I more likely.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
I work with CG warrant officers currently and have worked with Marine warrant officers in the past and universally they are the coolest guys I've ever met in either branch, with RADMs and RDMLs as a close second.

This is completely unhelpful as career advice, I'm sure.

just a kazoo
Mar 7, 2018
My application has been received and I was contacted by a recruiter looking to schedule a phone interview with me. I'm feeling confident, except for one thing. I've smoked a lot of grass in my past. I live in an area where it is quite literally a part of our culture. I was first offered when I was maybe 13, but didn't start until I was an adult.

From what I've seen online that isn't a deal breaker as long as I am honest about it (which I have been). I quit when I realized I wasn't going back to the job I was laid off from, and I'm comfortable with the fact that I may never smoke again. By now I should be able to pass a piss test, so I'm not really worried about that as much as how do I discuss it with my recruiter? On my application I admitted I had smoked and when it asked how many times I simply put 'enough' because I honestly couldn't even give a ballpark number, especially not one that didn't make me seem like a total pothead.

I've heard at MEPs I'll be grilled even harder?

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

I have no idea what to tell you as I joined almost 15 years ago. I told him I smoked weed and did ecstasy and still got in without issue. I wasn’t grilled any harder at MEPS.

I’d be shocked if weed was a problem in this day and age so long as you don’t walk in smoking a blunt, but I know the CG can be plenty selective.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.

just a kazoo posted:

My application has been received and I was contacted by a recruiter looking to schedule a phone interview with me. I'm feeling confident, except for one thing. I've smoked a lot of grass in my past. I live in an area where it is quite literally a part of our culture. I was first offered when I was maybe 13, but didn't start until I was an adult.

From what I've seen online that isn't a deal breaker as long as I am honest about it (which I have been). I quit when I realized I wasn't going back to the job I was laid off from, and I'm comfortable with the fact that I may never smoke again. By now I should be able to pass a piss test, so I'm not really worried about that as much as how do I discuss it with my recruiter? On my application I admitted I had smoked and when it asked how many times I simply put 'enough' because I honestly couldn't even give a ballpark number, especially not one that didn't make me seem like a total pothead.

I've heard at MEPs I'll be grilled even harder?

do you have a record?

just a kazoo
Mar 7, 2018
Nope no record, I got a MIP a while back but it was expunged. Thank you, both those replies are helpful.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

After a poor performance review on my last set of marks, just been getting a few attaboys from the command.

Oh golly i wonder if it is because its not winter and i am working on the day shift??? Probably unrelated.

Melthir
Dec 29, 2009

Whelp, done with the MAT. One more tour left unless I pick up an anchor. At least it's on a bouy tender.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

Melthir posted:

Whelp, done with the MAT. One more tour left unless I pick up an anchor. At least it's on a bouy tender.

A friend introduced me to the British pronunciation of buoy and in light of that, I think they should consider renaming those vessels.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Happy Coast Guard Day.
You have double 4-8s

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Oh yeah.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
The gist of the emails the CO sent yesterday:

Email 1: "Happy Coast Guard Day! You will be allowed 4 hours early liberty."

Email 2, 10 minutes later: "Correction: 4 hours was actually 59 minutes."

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Eason the Fifth posted:

I think ours was better.

We just went through a reorganization which tied a bunch of units together under one unit. However, if you’re in the Portsmouth VA area-you got 4 hours early liberty, but if you’re in the DC area-sorry-only 59 minutes.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
That's exactly the email I'm talking about - I was doing it from memory, and you got it right. Small world.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Eason the Fifth posted:

nwin posted:

I think ours was better.

We just went through a reorganization which tied a bunch of units together under one unit. However, if you’re in the Portsmouth VA area-you got 4 hours early liberty, but if you’re in the DC area-sorry-only 59 minutes.

*STARES IN OS*

Melthir
Dec 29, 2009

Whelp here's to hoping I don't die while pcsing to SC. Witness me.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/missing-fishermen-washington-1.5682151

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
I'm generally down on the military as a whole (OIF veterancy does that), but CG SAR is legitimately awesome.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Hearing fisherman going from "we are taking on water" to "we are abandoning ship" in minutes is absolutely brutal

Melthir
Dec 29, 2009

ElMaligno posted:

Hearing fisherman going from "we are taking on water" to "we are abandoning ship" in minutes is absolutely brutal

One of my worst nightmares is like that but on a sail boat.

We found all of them except their kid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

unlike most veterans and SA members $10 is not a meaningful expenditure for me

I'm gonna have me a swag Bar-B-Q

Melthir posted:

Whelp here's to hoping I don't die while pcsing to SC. Witness me.

in normal times Charleston (not north) would be rad but rn seems bad. If it’s somewhere else in sc then idk.

Good luck to all coasties