Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

I think it's Nyx only/primarily.

I'm going to ask for an extension to midnight on Sunday as I foolishly offered to provide support for a hardware installation this Saturday, and whilst I'm at home rather than in the data centre, I do need to pay active attention to things :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

sigma 6 posted:

Are we required to interpret Nyx? Or any greek mythos will be accepted?

It's just Nyx. And I'm fine with extending the deadline if people need a little extra time. It's going to be a busy weekend for me anyway, so judging will probably be delayed anyway. New due Date - Sunday 14 at midnight.

NAG
Jul 13, 2009

That's sounds cool, count me in.

EDIT: poo poo, got the signup/due date mixed up. Will join the next one instead.

NAG fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Jun 12, 2020

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Tried a little paper craft...

And here’s the image with all the layers in one place.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

collage, ink, and all the gold paint. (kuretake gansai pans and smincke aqua bronze)

And a photo rather than scan to show just how shiny it is.

Angrymog fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Jun 15, 2020

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

the mirror would do well to reflect further

Not quite midnight pacific time. So I am hoping this will be accepted.

Nyx - "Personification of Night."

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
Wow, these are fantastic! I guess I have to critique them now. It's been a long time since art class, so these are going to be short and sweet.

Makeout Patrol

I really like the detail in the hair and face, and baby death is adorable. I do think the forearms and hand are a little too small for the rest of the body, but that kind of gives it a folk art style that really appeals.

Krispy Wafer

So my biggest criticism for this is it fails to meet the prompt, which was Nyx, mother of the Fates. But aside from that it's pretty amazing. I like the browns, I like the faces, I love the googly-eye.

Angrymog

Love the shiny, and love the colors. Every bit of black in this looks like it's come from the central mass of darkness; it makes a really neat effect in the lower city where it looks like night is pouring into the streets. But I'm not sure about the part where it looks like it's about to be stabbed by a clock tower.

sigma 6

I really, really like how you composed this so the sunset lights her face, while the back of her head is filled in only by stars; it gives the whole thing a sense of motion. But the tree silhouette is kind of odd. It's clearly supposed to be in front of everything, but the dark color and positioning make it look like it could be coming from behind Nyx's shoulder.

I enjoyed all of these and think everyone should give themselves a pat on the back. But since I have to choose a winner I'm going to go with Winner- Angrymog Your shiny gold bought my admiration.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Jul 6, 2020

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Cool, thank you.

Give me a couple of days or so to think up a prompt.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Pigs (and other animals) in SPAAaaaaaace!

Space has captured our imagination since the year dot.

Laika. Ham. Fellicette.

Space programmes have not been kind to their animal pioneers, but it doesn't have to be that way, and in the world of art it often isn't.

Give me animals in space. Whether they're anthropormophic creatures running their own space stuff, beloved pets and crew members on human vessels, or simply strange alien equivalent of a dormouse.

Submissions deadline 23:59 05/07 BST

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Count me in for this one.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Me too. Time to try and figure out how a cow in a space suit would work.

NAG
Jul 13, 2009

I'm in!

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

Definitely in.

Here is something my friend made a while back which feels appropo.
https://alexchiu.carbonmade.com/

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
count me in as well

GeminiSun
Feb 16, 2011

I'm in!

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
For those not already aware we have a second mini-dome going on the Dicord server here: https://discord.gg/25e2VpE

Same basic idea but this one is built around smaller pieces that only take one or two sittings to make. The current prompt is to draw me Earthbound fanart.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

NAG
Jul 13, 2009

Here is my submission

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I’m going to be traveling during the deadline and more importantly I need to stop tinkering with this so here’s my submission.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

24 hours to go!

Loving the pigs so far :)

GeminiSun
Feb 16, 2011

Stretching this prompt possibly to its breaking point. Pigs IN space? What about a pig that IS space? :downs:

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
The fourth kind of screwed me so I’m probably not going to have a submission this time. I’m going to :toxx: for the next one though so I get off my rear end and do this poo poo early next time.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah, life got in the way of me working on mine as well. But in the interest of having something to turn in, I turned one of my preliminary sketches into some premo highschool-notebook doodling.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

readingatwork posted:

The fourth kind of screwed me so I’m probably not going to have a submission this time. I’m going to :toxx: for the next one though so I get off my rear end and do this poo poo early next time.

I'm currently doing failed toxxes as either provide proof of a $10 donation to a worthy cause, or a 7 day probe (your choice)

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

Not gonna make it. Too much crazy poo poo in every direction ATM

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Entries are closed.

Expect judgement in a couple of days :)

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

sebmojo posted:

I'm currently doing failed toxxes as either provide proof of a $10 donation to a worthy cause, or a 7 day probe (your choice)

That's a great idea, actually. Put me down for a $10 donation if I don't submit on time.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
This was a surprisingly tough topic. I burnt through 3 failed entries and wasted a dozen hours before I got something I liked.

It’s not so much that we can’t draw farm animals in space, but what are they doing in space?

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Krispy Wafer posted:

This was a surprisingly tough topic. I burnt through 3 failed entries and wasted a dozen hours before I got something I liked.

It’s not so much that we can’t draw farm animals in space, but what are they doing in space?

They didn't have to be farm animals. I admit I was hopping for some frogs

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Angrymog posted:

They didn't have to be farm animals. I admit I was hopping for some frogs

Don’t get me wrong, it’s a good prompt. It was just a lot more challenging than I expected.

And yeah, frogs would have been pretty cool.

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

Honestly all I could think of was the old Muppets sketch "Pigs In Spaaaaaaaace" .... not sure if that was the intention or not. Kinda sad I couldn't find the time. I had a specific concept in mind that I think I could have pulled off in a day or two but literally things seem to burning down every where I look.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

NAG

A wistful and sad Pig in space. I like the limited palette and the scratchy fur texture. The scaling and composition doesn't quite work for me; Major Oink seems very squished into their helmet, but nothing else about the picture feels like its going for a space-claustrophobia feel.

The position of the earth also doesn't quite work, again the earth is very crammed in. I just feel it all needed a bit more well... space.

On the whole though I like the concept and the implied story that I've made up in my head about the picture.

Krispy Wafer

Optimistic cartoon astronaut pig. Oinkers in the 25th century.

I can't actually tell if Oinkers is digital, physical, or mixed media. Really good use of the half-tone dots. I really like the pulp sci-feel of this; the pig's raygun and space suit, not having to keep your helmet on on an alien world, and the general optimism that the picture gets across. Feels like an illustration in a children's book.

Gemini Sun

Pig is space?

I can't find any definitive sources on if there ever was a pig constellation, but let's say there is.

It's very beautifully rendered, and the line work meets a good balance between detailed and messy, but it doesn't quite work for me? Maybe if the bright stars were lined up with significant spots on the pig? It's not messy enough to be a real cosmic pig, and it's not deliberate to be a depiction of a constellation.

there wolf

hey, not a pig! Possibly a sad story for the hamster now. The message makes me think of a child's hamster that has met its end and got buried in a toilet roll coffin. Would have worked really well as a linocut or other print, but it's a fine exercise book doodle.

Hamster looks angry about their toilet roll rocket.

After deliberation, the winner is KRISPY WAFER! Go bother Sebmojo for your gang tag (as should there wolf) and give us a new challenge (include sign up and completion dates)

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
It's actually a guinea pig, but I now realize the toilet role gives an implication about size that would rule out the larger pet rodents.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

there wolf posted:

It's actually a guinea pig, but I now realize the toilet role gives an implication about size that would rule out the larger pet rodents.

Yeah, I decided it didn't look mousy enough for a gerbil, and everything else except a hamster was too large.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Captain Space Pig was all digital using a half-tone set I bought but never got around to using. I’m trying to get that 1950’s comic book style figured out. Still haven’t managed it, but I’m a little closer. Happy it won. I had two other efforts before that which weren’t gelling.

As for the next prompt, I’m working on it. Hope to have something by tomorrow.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

I'm going to put another prompt up tomorrow if Krispy doesn't :justpost:

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Angrymog posted:

I'm going to put another prompt up tomorrow if Krispy doesn't :justpost:

I'll allow it if they don't get back to us before then.

Remember guys, prompts don't necessarily have to be super long. You can just post "I don't know draw a cat or something" and leave it at that if you're pressed for time.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Sorry for the delay, we’ve been out of town and like the old adage “there’s always money in the banana shack”, there’s always drama on vacation.

I’ve been trying hard to think of a new prompt and think I’ve come up with hands and/or feet. Make some hands and/or feet. But not like an art class exercise. Design them wrong. Like anatomically incorrect. Something like someone saying they’re all thumbs and well...being all thumbs. Or quadruple jointed. All I ask is that they’re vaguely human looking and with minimal functionality.

Deadline for sign-ups is 7/15. Submissions by 7/22.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sitting Here
Dec 31, 2007
I usually do domes of the Thunder variety but this is an interesting prompt and I want to try it!

In.