Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Patrick Spens posted:

Jesus, the guy didn't lose his job for that?

No, he got three more seasons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Here's her full account:

https://www.bostonglobe.com/opinion...syO/story.html.

One of the choice bits:

quote:

The boys’ club remains in full force at CBS. The bullying continued. In the settlement process, CBS used as defense a photo of me in a bathing suit, pulled from my own Instagram, as if this suggested I deserved or was not offended by the sexual harassment I experienced.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Crackbone posted:

Here's her full account:

https://www.bostonglobe.com/opinion...syO/story.html.

One of the choice bits:

Oh boy the literal "she was asking for it dressed like that" argument.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Skwirl posted:

9.7 million, for a TV show she actually was only on for 4 episodes.

Love to cost my bosses that much money because I'm a huge rear end in a top hat and still not get fired.

CBS loving LOVES Michael Weatherly. The 60& up audience adores him. He's the new Mark Harmon/Richard Dean Anderson.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

ImpAtom posted:

I haven't seem DH so I may be off here but from what friends of mine have told me the entire point is that Dr. Horrible is not someone you are supposed to root for. He's a weird creepy incel stalker who is desperate to show that he is a Nice Guy in comparison to the superhero despite the fact that he's also a lovely person. He doesn't learn any lesson and doesn't grow as a person and the ending is him murdering the woman he's stalking and then making her death about him.

Nope, you are totally meant to empathize with him. Accidentally murdering her is supposed to be his tragic backstory.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Like, Dr. Horrible is definitely a creeper and I don't think that was specifically intended to be as "incel" pathetic and creepy as it is. We're definitely supposed to like Billy before he fully becomes Dr. Horrible. But like if you're being generous the point of the story was a villain's origin so the fact that he takes some personal poo poo and instead of working through it uses it to justify his villainous actions is I think the broad point. "He didn't learn a lesson or grow" is very much the point.

But yeah, he starts as a weirdo stalker and you're supposed to feel for that guy. And that's pretty consistent with Whedon's stuff.

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Built for comfort and speed!
Fallen Rib
Did Eliza confirm Joss was a sex creep, or are people extrapolating from 'beautiful aggressive needy'?

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

STAC Goat posted:

Like, Dr. Horrible is definitely a creeper and I don't think that was specifically intended to be as "incel" pathetic and creepy as it is. We're definitely supposed to like Billy before he fully becomes Dr. Horrible. But like if you're being generous the point of the story was a villain's origin so the fact that he takes some personal poo poo and instead of working through it uses it to justify his villainous actions is I think the broad point. "He didn't learn a lesson or grow" is very much the point.

But yeah, he starts as a weirdo stalker and you're supposed to feel for that guy. And that's pretty consistent with Whedon's stuff.

I think Dr. Horrible was also made before the "nice guy" myth was busted in pop culture.

But art that is made because you desperately want to jump someone's bones and need to talk about it has been around since we started looking into the fire.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Sloth Life posted:

Did Eliza confirm Joss was a sex creep, or are people extrapolating from 'beautiful aggressive needy'?

No specifics but in the letter that quote is from Whedon admits to having several affairs with Buffy actresses, fans and friends.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Shannon Strucci, a video essayist and editor, talks alot how Steve Ressel, an animator on Invader Zim among other things, tried to groom her when she was 16:

https://twitter.com/plentyofalcoves/status/1279563843803459587?s=21

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I kinda know strucci from another forum so gently caress that’s awful as gently caress.

I’m sorry that happened to her.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Hi, I worked on the Zim movie and can confirm this from veteran coworkers.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Groovelord Neato posted:

On top of all that "Joss" isn't a name. You're Josh you rear end in a top hat.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do

thrawn527 posted:

Maybe it's because it's too early for me to properly parse this, but I have no idea what the hell this is trying to say. "The Daily Telegraph in 2017 conveyed the imputation Rush was a pervert." What kind of mealy mouth bullshit is this?

From the article itself:

So...are they saying that he didn't do the inappropriate behavior he was accused of? Or just that they shouldn't have said it?

This feels like it's couched in several layers of garbage to keep it from actually saying anything.

Libel and defamation laws are strict as hell in Aus common law, it's been a stumbling block for calling out wealthy abusers in entertainment, or even any old abuser

https://www.thelawproject.com.au/defamation-law-in-australia

In short you can post like "so and so abused me", and so and so can sue the ground out from under you unless you can prove some stuff like that there was "no malicious intent in your statement" and it was "in public interest" to say. It being provably true isn't even an airtight defense

E:4.1. Can I Sue for Social Media or Internet Posts?

Absolutely. In fact, from 2013 to 2017, 51% of cases were digital defamation cases.

The Peccadillo fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Jul 5, 2020

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

STAC Goat posted:

There is growth though, just not positive growth. The very last shot is Billy as Billy singing into his blog when every time before its Billy as Dr Horrible in the blog entries. You're supposed to empathize with the guy realizing the villain stuff was just play acting and Billy is who he really is only after Felicia Day is fridged. It's as deep as a puddle but that's also pretty consistent with Whedon's stuff.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Joseph Hill Whedon

or is this :thejoke:

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

Joss Whedon and JK Rowling both suck.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

wooow, as if he needed another reason to revoke his woke card

Len posted:

Joseph Hill Whedon

or is this :thejoke:

I mean if the joke is "your name sounds like josh but it isnt so gently caress you"

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Emotions are stored in the ovaries

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Emotions are stored in the ovaries

Yes, but any ovaries really. That's why when I need to let out a really good cry I eat myself a nice big omelette.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

https://twitter.com/yashar/status/1279581899132825600?s=20

https://twitter.com/latimes/status/1279219123558498304?s=20

https://twitter.com/consequence/status/1279985241512464384?s=20

no more Summer of 69's for you

:thejoke:

Blood Nightmaster
Sep 6, 2011

“また遊んであげるわ!”

Alan Smithee posted:

no more Summer of 69's for you

No no, that's Bryan Adams :eng101: Ryan Adams (sans B) is probably best known for being Mandy Moore's ex-husband (not that that makes this any less deplorable)

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

I'm getting increasingly annoyed at big media outlets using such a passive voice that they make awful people with credible evidence against them sound sympathetic or at least not guilty. There's a fine line there, sure, but when somebody denies allegations twice, "apologizes" by basically saying "I'm sorry that you got hurt" and then plugs an upcoming comeback album then that person's a scumbag. The L.A. Times made him almost sound like he was actually sorry.

deety
Aug 2, 2004

zombies + sharks = fun

Ryan Adams is also the guy who rearranged and rerecorded Taylor Swift's entire 1989 album, which got him a lot of good reviews and got Swift a lot of backhanded complements from folks who were only willing to acknowledge her songs once a man reinterpreted them. That whole thing was the weirdest mix of people who only listen to indie-style guitar music and "stuff young girls like is automatically stupid" misogyny.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

the funny thing is i've literally not listened to his music once. There's a chance it was on when I walked around a CVS or waited for a table at the Cheesecake Factory but I wouldn't know it if I did. I just think of Summer of 69 and the Robin Hood '91 song when his name comes up

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Blood Nightmaster posted:

No no, that's Bryan Adams :eng101: Ryan Adams (sans B) is probably best known for being Mandy Moore's ex-husband (not that that makes this any less deplorable)

Last time this came up didn't some goon vouch for Bryan Adams cause he'd given the goon weed once?

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Shea Coulee bringing the heat.

https://twitter.com/SheaCoulee/status/1279904979558506504

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Terry Pratchett was right.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Alhazred posted:

Terry Pratchett was right.

about?

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
https://twitter.com/rickriordan/status/1279927734664417281?s=19
I'd like to think Rick has been flexing on JK more lately

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

One of his favorite things to do was to dunk on Rowling.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

achillesforever6 posted:

https://twitter.com/rickriordan/status/1279927734664417281?s=19
I'd like to think Rick has been flexing on JK more lately

Are his books worth reading?

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Alhazred posted:

One of his favorite things to do was to dunk on Rowling.

And one of JK's favorite things to do was rip off Pratchett, along with everything else she ripped off including the Books of Magic comic series. I just learned about The Books of Magic recently, the main character is a young man who looks suspiciously like Harry Potter, and apparently a bunch of elements in Harry Potter are suspiciously close to elements from that series.

All that is really irrelevant to the point that Rowling is an rear end in a top hat and transphobe :shrug:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I've been tooting the BoM rip off born for years and nobody has ever cared. Even Gaiman said they're nothing alike despite how we can all see that Harry is a complete ripoff of Tim Hunter.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Rowling definitely read a lot of Pratchett, but I have a hard time believing she was into a niche Vertigo comic while writing her own book.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Skwirl posted:

Rowling definitely read a lot of Pratchett, but I have a hard time believing she was into a niche Vertigo comic while writing her own book.

Gaiman was already pretty popular and the visual similarity is striking but also who gives a poo poo if two characters look the same. a fantasy novel with a bunch of pastiches, well i fucken never

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Rhyno posted:

I've been tooting the BoM rip off born for years and nobody has ever cared. Even Gaiman said they're nothing alike despite how we can all see that Harry is a complete ripoff of Tim Hunter.

iirc Gaiman's answer was that he could see the similarities in the premise but that the execution is wildly different. which is fair, Books of Magic isn't really a whole lot like HP past the basic premise of it (and is a lot better than HP as a result).

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Plus aren't there like a million YA stories about ten year olds finding out they're magic? There's visual similarities between Tim and Harry, but I sorta assume that's what all white brits look like at age ten. Including the glasses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

MonsieurChoc posted:

Are his books worth reading?
I like them a lot and think they have a bunch of charm and like HP they mature as the series go; except unlike JK he actually puts LGBTQA characters in the work. There is big time appeal from me because I always wanted urban fantasies with the Greek Gods and all that jazz over prep school wizards. The worst crimes Rick commit are dad jokes and pop culture references that date the works. Also a big plus in his Greco-Roman set series, the Gods are all complete assholes for the most part and he also digs deep in finding mythological beings.