Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Ego-bot posted:

I've always wondered why Ben Foster isn't having a better career. Absolutely stole the show in 3:10 to Yuma.

I think he's doing alright. He's great in Galveston & Hell or High Water

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Come to think of it, why didn't Quibi have any animated content? Throwback to Merrie Melodies and Looney Tunes style shorts, since classic cartoons are all the rage now.

now, why in the world would jeffrey katzenberg know anything about animation

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Their strategy did seem to be "make sure we have one thing for every demographic" (but only one thing :lol:) which would've made sense to get some animated kids content on there.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Between that Katzenberg story and the one about Joss Whedon trying to force her into scene where she looks like she's getting sexually assaulted by the Flash, men seem to have a big loving problem with Gal Gadot.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Young Freud posted:

IIRC, and it was from that first chapter of "Freakonomics", is that a lot of people thought the crime rate would peak sometime around 1996-1997, which didn't happen largely because of aggressive policing, an improved economy, and, as the book argues, legalized abortion.

Thats complete bs. Areas around the world saw less crime regardless of policing.

And the abortion thing isnt even worth replying to.

Freakonomics is bougie trash

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Come to think of it, why didn't Quibi have any animated content? Throwback to Merrie Melodies and Looney Tunes style shorts, since classic cartoons are all the rage now.

how about Vídeo Brinquedo bojack horseman

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2OeNumtZZBo

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

Ghost Leviathan posted:

You're right! Most animated TV shows are programmed in ten minute episodes anyway.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Between that Katzenberg story and the one about Joss Whedon trying to force her into scene where she looks like she's getting sexually assaulted by the Flash, men seem to have a big loving problem with Gal Gadot.

You'd think they'd remember she's ex-Mossad.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Oh good, appropriated Oscar bait with the Catwoman seal of quality. I can't wait to go and see it in a large plague room.

Pope Corky the IX posted:

She was that odd combination of a genuinely stunningly beautiful woman (so not to be taken seriously by them), with a newly super high profile but no notable career stand outs or cred before Wonder Woman. They probably thought she was a new to the business rube who'd be desperate or dumb enough to let herself be used.

Lovely Joe Stalin fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Jul 6, 2020

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

She was that odd combination of a genuinely stunningly beautiful woman (so not to be taken seriously by them), with a newly super high profile but no notable career stand outs or cred before Wonder Woman. They probably thought she was a new to the business rube who'd be desperate or dumb enough to let herself be used.

Yea there was a period of time there after she was in the Fast & Furious movies where I imagine she had to deal with a lot of those slimy "I can help you get to the next level" Hollywood types.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Hearing the behind-the-scenes of Quibi makes me think most media execs or VCs are basically just Rob Cordry's character from Hot Tub Time Machine.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

QuoProQuid posted:

now, why in the world would jeffrey katzenberg know anything about animation

Katzenberg straight up hates animation, he famously fought with Eisner for most of the 80s to push Disney to just completely drop its animation efforts.

ChickenMedium
Sep 2, 2001
Forum Veteran And Professor Emeritus of Condiment Studies

duz posted:

You'd think they'd remember she's ex-Mossad.

Pretty sure she was just regular IDF, not Mossad. She's still probably a murderer, but less likely to be a mass-murderer.

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

ChickenMedium posted:

Pretty sure she was just regular IDF, not Mossad. She's still probably a murderer, but less likely to be a mass-murderer.

A fitness instructor in the IDF, on her two years compulsory military service, like every other young Israeli. It's not like she was some deep state superspy.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

Almost every other young Israeli

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
Twitter account 'Taylor Swift updates' dunking on Wonder Woman is very on brand for this year.

Ruptured Yakety Sax
Jun 8, 2012

ARE YOU AN ANGEL, BIRD??

https://twitter.com/RococoChanel/status/1280161917080866816?s=19

christ

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

https://twitter.com/halleberry/status/1280304782528311296

Also a Groundhog Day tv series is happening according to Stephen Tobolowsky

quote:

There’s talk about a Groundhog Day series in the works. One of the producers – I was working on The Goldbergs or Schooled, one of those shows over on the Sony lot, and one of them saw me and goes, ‘Oh, Stephen! Stephen! We’re working on a Groundhog Day TV show. Could you be Ned for the TV show?’ I go, ‘Sure. Yeah. No problem’… But it’s Ned thirty years later. What has his life become?

https://collider.com/groundhog-day-tv-show/

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Whatever happened with that Groundhog Day 2 videogame?

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

muscles like this! posted:

Whatever happened with that Groundhog Day 2 videogame?

It came out for the PSVR and was completely mediocre.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Codependent Poster posted:

It came out for the PSVR and was completely mediocre.

Was it more like the Stanley parable or Postal

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Tars Tarkas posted:

Also a Groundhog Day tv series is happening according to Stephen Tobolowsky

Yeah it was called Day Break and it was pretty good, although it's probably one of those series that is now lost and forgotten.

Red Rox
Aug 24, 2004

Motel Midnight off the hook
My local cinema are showing some great classic films: Predator, Alien, Heat, Fight Club etc. Apparently Disney is doing some deal where they only take 25% from those screenings, rather than 55%, so the cinemas can cut ticket prices too.

But yeah I was chatting to the guy who runs my local and he says if America can’t get it’s poo poo together there won’t be any new releases coming soon. So in other words they’re hosed :(

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

fatherboxx posted:

how about Vídeo Brinquedo bojack horseman

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2OeNumtZZBo

ow

also Bojack Horseman absolutely had tech services nailed with whattimeisitrightnow.com

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Red Rox posted:

My local cinema are showing some great classic films: Predator, Alien, Heat, Fight Club etc. Apparently Disney is doing some deal where they only take 25% from those screenings, rather than 55%, so the cinemas can cut ticket prices too.

But yeah I was chatting to the guy who runs my local and he says if America can’t get it’s poo poo together there won’t be any new releases coming soon. So in other words they’re hosed :(

Nostalgia pimps: :getin:

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Safety Factor posted:

Soto ayam. It's Indonesian chicken soup.

It's good.

I've only ever had it with rice, and it was PHENOMENAL. One of the best soups I've ever had.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
There's a story on CNN's website right now about how Charlize Theron really wanted to play Furiosa again but Miller chose to do a prequel and recast her instead. I don't understand that decision, you've got the breakout character from Fury Road chomping at the bit to return to the role, and you're just gonna leave that on the table because you want to cast someone younger? I trust Miller(and Theron says that as well in the article), but come on man, this seems like a no-brainer.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Basebf555 posted:

There's a story on CNN's website right now about how Charlize Theron really wanted to play Furiosa again but Miller chose to do a prequel and recast her instead. I don't understand that decision, you've got the breakout character from Fury Road chomping at the bit to return to the role, and you're just gonna leave that on the table because you want to cast someone younger? I trust Miller(and Theron says that as well in the article), but come on man, this seems like a no-brainer.

The only reason I can think of doing that is that it's about her life before being taken to Citadel.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
That's way old news. Miller developed the Furiosa prequel during the production and has talked a lot about the two scripts which came out of Fury Road. One of those was a Furiosa prequel and one of those was a spinoff called Wasteland that didn't have Max or Furiosa in it. Performers have already been auditioned for the prequel, including Anya Taylor-Joy.

As much as I love Theron this isn't her getting stiffed, it's her not being right for the part as written. Theron couldn't convincingly play an early 20-something, let alone a version of her character who is significantly younger than when she shot the film 8 years ago.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Jul 7, 2020

Magic Pus
Mar 28, 2010

Basebf555 posted:

Considering the fact that Miller made the 4th film in a franchise DECADES after the last installment without the original star playing the title character and it turned out to be a masterpiece, I’d say he’s earned the benefit of the doubt.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

feedmyleg posted:

That's way old news. Miller developed the Furiosa prequel during the production and has talked a lot about the two scripts which came out of Fury Road. One of those was a Furiosa prequel and one of those was a spinoff called Wasteland that didn't have Max or Furiosa in it. Performers have already been auditioned for the prequel, including Anya Taylor-Joy.

As much as I love Theron this isn't her getting stiffed, it's her not being right for the part as written. Theron couldn't convincingly play a 20-something, let alone a version of her character who is significantly younger than when she shot the film 7 years ago.

The fact that she's not returning to the role is old news, but this is the first time I've seen her actually say that it was Miller who decided that, not her. I kinda assumed she opted out and/or had scheduling conflicts.

And "not right for the part as written" is technically true, but Miller is the one who wrote it. So he could've written it differently, in a way that kept Theron in the mix.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Sure, but the fact that Anya Taylor-Joy auditioned and is 24 (but could pass for 17) implies that the script he wrote was not compatible with Theron being cast. Which implies that the story took place in her teens or early 20s, likely when she wasn't under Immortan Joe's thumb.

Miller shouldn't have to write a new story just to cast the performer who originated the role.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

feedmyleg posted:

Miller shouldn't have to write a new story just to cast the performer who originated the role.

I'm not saying he has to do anything. I'm just saying it's dumb and I disagree with it. It's a major missed opportunity in my opinion.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
How is it dumb? Miller has a story he wants to tell, and it's not the one that's in your head. This is not some great injustice.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Basebf555 posted:

And "not right for the part as written" is technically true, but Miller is the one who wrote it. So he could've written it differently, in a way that kept Theron in the mix.

Why should he though?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

Why should he though?

Because it was a fantastic performance and Theron is great? I'm not seeing a downside.

feedmyleg posted:

How is it dumb? Miller has a story he wants to tell, and it's not the one that's in your head. This is not some great injustice.

lol of course it's not a great injustice. Not every movie opinion on the internet is life or death, although I know it seems like that sometimes.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Stories shouldn't exist to serve circumstances. That's how you wind up with the Star Wars or Pirates of the Carribean sequels. If a creator has a story to tell, let them tell it, otherwise there's no reason for a movie to exist.

Prowler
May 24, 2004

Ghost Leviathan posted:

ow

also Bojack Horseman absolutely had tech services nailed with whattimeisitrightnow.com

I pressed play on this trailer and the first CC had the words "avocado toast" in it, and immediately paused and shook my head.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Basebf555 posted:

the greatest crime was not putting Furiosa in the Mad Max game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antifa Poltergeist
Jun 3, 2004

"We're not laughing with you, we're laughing at you"

A mad Max story without max and OG furiosa is gonna be a hard sell though, no matter how much goodwill George has.if he was 10 years younger I would say give him 300 million let him do both, but as is....
Boy its amazing how anyone immediately knew the furiosa role was gonna be iconic.its Charlize Theron most immediately known role to date.