Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Does it matter if people steal your loot once you're allied? Is it different for Reapers?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Personally the anchor thing just boils down to most of the kills and deaths I was and still are involved in were either directly or heavily tied to anchor drops. Legend Crew's main strat for many hours of play was anchor supremacy, both keeping the enemy's anchor down and making sure they didn't gently caress with ours in the rare occasions they managed to get on our ship. If your anchors down, you can't turn to get a better fire position or run away/chase which means you're pretty much already dead, just making us pay the balls and nanners tax

At this point it's more joking superstition but I've personally been a part of dozens of fights that ended because of anchor bullshit or didn’t even become fights because we caught someone with their pants down and unable to flee because they had to spend time raising their anchor lol

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Does it matter if people steal your loot once you're allied? Is it different for Reapers?

last time I checked (which was a while ago admittedly) the other members of your alliance get less money than you do when you sell, so stealing treasure from alliance members to sell it yourself makes sure you get paid full price.

Babe Magnet fucked around with this message at 11:03 on Jul 6, 2020

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

The weird thing is you get the stealing loot/getting loot stolen achievements when you turn in your ally's poo poo/your ally turns in poo poo.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:
its why the legendary thief title is about as meh as the ghost outfit. huge oversight by the devs lol

the person selling loot gets 100% of the gold, rep and the turn-in commendations. allies do not get the commendation stuff

iirc all allies get %50 of the gold/rep. this is supposedly still affected by the emmissary bonus which makes it yet another reason to get to lvl 5 and ally with others rather than continuously cycle if you're in a noticeably productive fleet

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
seeing a real lack of emissaries in my group's past few sessions. the only other one we've encountered was another Reaper ship (who we sank) -- zero for gold hoarders, order of souls, or merchant alliance

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Athenas is kinda annoying to get to 5. Is it just completing riddles/beating random events (megs, skelly ships, etc) and voyage completion? Don't think digging up loot rewards any emmisary rep.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Athenas Rep is primarily attained through selling the 4k gold (and therefor rep) chest at the end of Athena Voyages. Everything else is way slower and supplementary to that.

Groovelord Neato posted:

The weird thing is you get the stealing loot/getting loot stolen achievements when you turn in your ally's poo poo/your ally turns in poo poo.

yeah this is the real benefit of alliances, hammering out those "steal the new event treasure from someone" commendations nice and easy

Thief posted:

its why the legendary thief title is about as meh as the ghost outfit. huge oversight by the devs lol

the only good title remains Hoarder of Treasured Tears

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

The Oath Breaker's about to hit warphead nine Kaptain!

Babe Magnet posted:

Athenas Rep is primarily attained through selling stealing the 4k gold (and therefor rep) chest at the end of Athena Voyages.

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
I have to say, it's fun as hell if you sail out to attack people and they engage you in ship to ship, even if you wind up losing.

I went out and attacked a Reaper's sloop and wound up working with them to sink a skeleton brig before we shot each other to bits. It was close but I lost my mast and the ship sank. With no real risk (okay I lost the skeleton captain chest), it was pretty fun

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Glass of Milk posted:

I have to say, it's fun as hell if you sail out to attack people and they engage you in ship to ship, even if you wind up losing.

I went out and attacked a Reaper's sloop and wound up working with them to sink a skeleton brig before we shot each other to bits. It was close but I lost my mast and the ship sank. With no real risk (okay I lost the skeleton captain chest), it was pretty fun

Yeah. When you're learning and trying to build some PvP skills, especially as a total beginner, having a lot of loot makes you too risk averse (or at least it does for me) and makes you avoid fights and not build up skills.

So these days a lot of times I'm happy to just get some supplies and go fight.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

Zwabu posted:

Yeah. When you're learning and trying to build some PvP skills, especially as a total beginner, having a lot of loot makes you too risk averse (or at least it does for me) and makes you avoid fights and not build up skills.

So these days a lot of times I'm happy to just get some supplies and go fight.

That’s been my experience, a week or so in. My brother is a bit risk averse but after playing with goons over the weekend I convinced him to take on a skelly galleon in our Brig and we came out with a win. He wasn’t thrilled when I crashed into the side of the thing but rubbin’s racin’.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

put your best piece of loot as a hood ornament to entice people to chase you

the defending ship has the advantage in this game thanks to mermaids

if they can harpoon your loot off the bow theyre either extremely good or you hosed up and either way whatever bit of gold it is, is worth more in learning that new angle

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Thief posted:

put your best piece of loot as a hood ornament to entice people to chase you

this is how we used to sail around specifically to bait people into attacking us so we didn't have to chase them to murder them

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo

Merijn posted:

I'm still not sure if harpooning rum bottles breaks them. Maybe just Devil's Roar rum bottles?
Definitely doesn't break normal ones.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

The Oath Breaker's about to hit warphead nine Kaptain!

"Ignore the small man behind me. Come, sell me your wares."

I gotta try this out when I'm bored and solo and see if anyone falls for it. Which Gold Hoarder merchant is the physically smallest, I wonder?

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Holy poo poo, this fuckin game. Played with friends for the first time and i finally get it.

We spent 30 minutes perfecting the art of harpooning each other midair. Our galleon sank right after a big treasure haul so we had to grab the treasure and swim to an island while two of us retrieved the new ship. Ever since the pandemic started I've been starved for social interaction and playing this game for 6 hours was the most normal i've felt and the hardest I've laughed in months.

Also god drat, the ocean graphics and physics are the best I've seen in any video game. Going underwater and looking up is mindblowingly pretty.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

smoobles posted:

Holy poo poo, this fuckin game. Played with friends for the first time and i finally get it.

We spent 30 minutes perfecting the art of harpooning each other midair. Our galleon sank right after a big treasure haul so we had to grab the treasure and swim to an island while two of us retrieved the new ship. Ever since the pandemic started I've been starved for social interaction and playing this game for 6 hours was the most normal i've felt and the hardest I've laughed in months.

Also god drat, the ocean graphics and physics are the best I've seen in any video game. Going underwater and looking up is mindblowingly pretty.

It's underrated how funny Sea of Thieves is.

One time my crew and I were taking way-long distance potshots at a galleon and one of our cannonballs caught a stronghold keg in the captain's cabin and the thing just lifted out of the water and sank immediately. we were cracking up

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Hahah I love how low stakes losing your ship is, too. Sinking is exciting and hilarious sometimes, you never really feel like you lost anything.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

smoobles posted:

Hahah I love how low stakes losing your ship is, too. Sinking is exciting and hilarious sometimes, you never really feel like you lost anything.

it's the only multiplayer game I've ever played where I feel zero salt on losing

although the people my crew sinks tend to get plenty angry

Pattonesque fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Jul 7, 2020

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

The pirate code is really more of a guideline, than actual rules.

BlackIronHeart posted:

"Ignore the small man behind me. Come, sell me your wares."

I gotta try this out when I'm bored and solo and see if anyone falls for it. Which Gold Hoarder merchant is the physically smallest, I wonder?

There's a dude out there who made his pirate to look specifically like Stitcher Jim, to pull off shenannigans like this. He was VERY successful a few times:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Seaofthieves/comments/ence4v/you_heard_that_stitcher_jim_could_not_be_trusted/

https://www.reddit.com/r/Seaofthieves/comments/eql57i/stitcher_jim_gilded_athena_steal_more/

The second one was made just after Duke was back, but everyone was still used to Stitcher Jim being in that corner. It's amazing.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

there's a cool tall tale early on that involves looking at the stars and constellations to navigate

the day/night cycles are always enjoyable ever since i started playing. there's even a functional watch that tracks the days and it looks like they put a lot of work into it

has anyone done any research into how detailed stuff like that and the moon is in this game? please let me know before i smoke a crate of devil's plants and go down the youtube rabbithole of some Ulillillia explaining how the skybox works in this game

The North Tower
Aug 20, 2007

You should throw it in the ocean.

Thief posted:

there's a cool tall tale early on that involves looking at the stars and constellations to navigate

the day/night cycles are always enjoyable ever since i started playing. there's even a functional watch that tracks the days and it looks like they put a lot of work into it

has anyone done any research into how detailed stuff like that and the moon is in this game? please let me know before i smoke a crate of devil's plants and go down the youtube rabbithole of some Ulillillia explaining how the skybox works in this game

I was just looking at the green/purple night sky when I was playing today and thought the same thing. They definitely made it beautiful--nothing tops a perfect weather sail in turquoise water for me.

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

Thief posted:

I've looked at the sky a lot while fishing, and the moon always looks the same, moving at a speedy pace from left to right in the sky. Also I heard that solar eclipses happen like twice in every in-game month, and are always in back-to-back days. I've seen the back-to-back thing happen once, and separate eclipses a handful of other times. The moon is about half the size of the sun, and my rocket scientist crewmate says almost everything about it is wrong. :haw:

Sywert of Thieves fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Jul 10, 2020

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo

Thief posted:

The Sea of Thieves sky is a bit weird.

In our world you'd see the whole sky move, accomplishing a full rotation in 24 hours (well, technically it's the planet doing that) with the north star as its axis, and it's the case in SoT too, except for the constellations involved in the tall tale. These always occupy the same fixed points in the sky, for obvious gameplay reasons, but it follows that they make no sense astronomically, not even as geostationary natural satellites.

The north star is a concrete object with a 3d position in the game unlike the other stars, and in fact a bit closer to the world than the skybox, you can see it moves at a slightly different rate if you pay attention as you travel.

The sun is much bigger than it should be, for aesthetic reasons, and as such the moon can't correctly eclipse it. But it's not just that, it cheats for sunsets and sunrises. It grows bigger for those so they're more noticeable, and it "brakes" so you get more time for admiring it setting or rising despite the day cycle being 24 minutes, almost coming to a standstill when it's half hidden by the horizon.

One in-lore explanation is that the sea of thieves doesn't share the same sky as the real world but is situated in a different reality (but then again SoT's real world isn't our world either). It'd have been interesting to check if the maiden voyage has real world celestial mechanics (since it takes place on the normal world side of the shroud), but as it turns out the maiden voyage doesn't have a night cycle.

Chev fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Jul 10, 2020

The North Tower
Aug 20, 2007

Chev posted:

One in-lore explanation is that the sea of thieves doesn't share the same sky as the real world but is situated in a different reality (but then again SoT's real world isn't our world either). It'd have been interesting to check if the maiden voyage has real world celestial mechanics (since it takes place on the normal world side of the shroud), but as it turns out the maiden voyage doesn't have a night cycle.

I demand 100% reality in my Pirate Ghost game! Literally unplayable as is.

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.
The most unrealistic thing in the game is the tavern being way up on a hill, in the most inconvenient spot possible on the island.

gently caress you Ancient Spire Outpost.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Master Twig posted:

The most unrealistic thing in the game is the tavern being way up on a hill, in the most inconvenient spot possible on the island.

gently caress you Ancient Spire Outpost.

would be a pretty cool place for a tavern IRL tho

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

thanks for the replies. i never even thought to look for the north star in this game but its cool they bothered to represent it somehow

and yeah the gameworld is awesome. i'm glad they didn't add like 2 moons or whatever

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

My crew and I finally broke our streak of bad runs this week, in a galleon of all things.

We:
1. Jumped a new galleon that'd just cleared a skull fort.
2. Sank a ghost fleet.
3. Jumped an Athena's brig that was doing runs.

230k! Use your emissary flags folks.

The North Tower
Aug 20, 2007

Joined an open galleon that was just about to sell their haul after about an hour: about 22k that they seemed pretty pleased about. I checked their rowboat and there was a fully cooked Trophy Bone Ancientscale in it, told them I grabbed it (voice chat and text) and started going toward the hunter, but two left before I could sell it for 11k (we waited a minute or so for 2 more randoms to join us first). The last guy and I were wondering what the hell they were doing, since they missed out on almost 1/3 of their loot, but he didn’t know about the hunter after like 20 hours of playing so he was happy.

Randoms don’t understand hunter or fish I guess? Maybe people don’t check the rowboat box? Or am I the weird one for actually selling fish/meats and caring about this?

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

tokenbrownguy posted:

My crew and I finally broke our streak of bad runs this week, in a galleon of all things.

We:
1. Jumped a new galleon that'd just cleared a skull fort.
2. Sank a ghost fleet.
3. Jumped an Athena's brig that was doing runs.

230k! Use your emissary flags folks.

Nice

I dunno what’s up but every time my crew has been on recently we’ve seen zero other emissaries save for one time when there was another reaper crew on (that we sank)

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

Yeah I'm guessing its the influx of new users from steam and a general paranoia about level 5 reapers growing / getting merged onto your server.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

That time the dudes hid from me after burning my poo poo while I was questing I was level 5 and on my last quest :(

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

The North Tower posted:

Trophy Bone Ancientscale

Randoms don’t understand hunter or fish I guess? Maybe people don’t check the rowboat box? Or am I the weird one for actually selling fish/meats and caring about this?

Fishing is pretty niche. I'm still meeting people now and then who are surprised it's even in the game. I really like it though, it's the ultimate pacifist activity in the game. Making my way to Legendary Hunter of the Sea of Thieves while others are just kegging each other.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

tokenbrownguy posted:

Yeah I'm guessing its the influx of new users from steam and a general paranoia about level 5 reapers growing / getting merged onto your server.

We actually did see a bunch last night while we were Reapering in a brig. One of them, a gold hoarder galleon, was actually competent enough to fight us to a standstill, which I respect immensely. Way better than never becoming an emissary at all due to cowardice

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Okay, can someone explain to me the usefulness of the following technique? (embedded video is timestamped to the right place)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g4HZfM-rejg&t=286s

It's the quick hop that you can do if you jump while blocking with the cutlass.

I figured out how to do it but... why is this better (if it is) than regular jumping? Is it because it's quicker? It feels a bit quicker if I'm alternating it with a regular jump, seems you can't do two of them in a row without a brief delay. But you can do regular jumps pretty much continuously without any energy requirement or cooldown. I will say doing the sword hop/jump alternating did feel a bit "quicker" than regular jumping, does it make that much difference?

The one thing that was a clear advantage was the ability to jump through an enemy and start hitting them from behind, I was hopping back and forth through a skelly on an island making him turn around again and again and amusing myself that way, I suppose if I turned and just started sword comboing once through them that would be cool.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

It's more erratic, and just overall broken in general. If you get good at it, you can literally run circles around your opponent and even on PC using a mouse I have a hard time tracking people that do it well. Amount of times I've seen someone come up to me then do this and disappear and I end up dead in under 2 seconds. Compared to just plain bunnyhopping, which is a lot easier to track, and it's not as difficult keeping them in your line of sight.

Another reason why inertia really should be added to the game. Make movement have some heft to it so these tactics aren't as broken. Cause right now, sword combat is rear end and royally unfun. Most engagements are just a game of who can bunnyhop around the quickest.

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

Not to mention the enormous unfair advantage Mouse+KB players have over controller players. A mouse player can turn around in a split second as well as aiming accurately, quickly. A controller player can do one of those things (depending on sensitivity), but not both.

Cheen
Apr 17, 2005

combat seems fine to me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

It's not and I say that as someone who it's been very kind to. Though I've never liked bunny hopping in FPS.

Played the other night and sank a skele sloop that was hanging out near the dock. It never spawned loot - has that happened to anyone else?