Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team
but my precious control-r `git rebase -i origin/master` (muscle memory will be the worst part but w/e i don't have boomerbrain yet)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

psiox posted:

jenkins does bother me with this.

didn't jenkins get some new terminiology recently?

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

lol i only got the trunk v branches reference just now despite several years using cvs and svn. i had associated it with like a trunk you would put clothes in

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Progressive JPEG posted:

lol i only got the trunk v branches reference just now despite several years using cvs and svn. i had associated it with like a trunk you would put clothes in

lmao

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team
if your repo doesn't have multiple root branches used for all kinds of magic bullshit that only a thoroughly-customized CI system would use then lmao

TerminalRaptor
Nov 6, 2012

Mostly Harmless
You might not like what it looks like, but this is peak yospos right here

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Progressive JPEG posted:

what the gently caress

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
I googled it. it was a tree metaphor.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

:iiata:

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

kube needs to rename their master nodes to management nodes

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Cold on a Cob posted:

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Progressive JPEG posted:

lmao i was going to post the same. maybe because i first heard it when i was younger and somehow couldn't form the tree analogy, so i short-circuited to that because "well it just contains a bunch of stuff like a trunk"

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Progressive JPEG posted:

unix came from the phone company, so i've decided that "trunk" is because that's also what they call phone lines. or some sorts of phone lines. i'm not sure about the specifics, but they exist, i bet

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
a tree is actually a very good real-life analogy for a tree data structure. but computer scientists get the words all wrong, because they have never actually been outside to see a tree. we call the trunk the root, even though a real tree has many roots. also the tree is always depicted either upside down or sideways. but at least you can explain to a layman like "there is only one path from a leaf to the trunk, no sideways connections between branches" and they will visually understand

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

computer people always draw trees upside down and it's weird

Asleep Style
Oct 20, 2010

rotor posted:

computer people always draw trees upside down and it's weird

Those diagrams were drawn in australia

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team
plus just because you have lots of roots doesn't mean you don't have multiple trunks, jeez

legalize banyan VINES

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

psiox posted:

banyan VINES
hell yeah VINES

we would be living in a better world if VINES had caught on in the 1980s and not novell

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

in my glazed-over reading of this thread the first thing i thought was an elephant trunk

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Cold on a Cob posted:

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

psiox posted:

also from a l10n perspective of 'oh yeah these are kinda colloquial terms that not everyone from everywhere will immediately understand

metalol

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team

incredible contribution please keep posting

Sassafras
Dec 24, 2004

by Athanatos
Stubbornly using localization and internationalization as interchangeable terms is a really fun way to piss off pendantic tech people who keep trying to correct you.

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

psiox posted:

incredible contribution please keep posting

thanks, will do! 👍

for real though, how do you localize l10n, etc.? if the state of things is "oh if you don't speak english then you just have to know that this particular set of letters and numbers refers to this specific english term which translates to XYZ concept" then that's funny and ironic and I hope you see that too.

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team

Sassafras posted:

Stubbornly using localization and internationalization as interchangeable terms is a really fun way to piss off pendantic tech people who keep trying to correct you.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Glorgnole posted:

you just have to know that this particular set of letters and numbers refers to this specific english term

wow do i ever have some news for you wrt written language.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Glorgnole posted:

thanks, will do! 👍

for real though, how do you localize l10n, etc.? if the state of things is "oh if you don't speak english then you just have to know that this particular set of letters and numbers refers to this specific english term which translates to XYZ concept" then that's funny and ironic and I hope you see that too.

i didn't get the joke originally, but now i do :tipshat:

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

https://twitter.com/lunasorcery/status/1278984875190689798?s=21

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS

this is very good

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

should have used "a8e" instead of "acceptance"

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team

prefect posted:

s4d h2e u2d "a8e" i5d o0f "acceptance"

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team
just had a hell of a thought that's relevant to this

companies are going out of their way to rename internal stuff, right

well maybe we should change 'human resources' to something else since that is in fact an ongoing affront to dignity

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

psiox posted:

just had a hell of a thought that's relevant to this

companies are going out of their way to rename internal stuff, right

well maybe we should change 'human resources' to something else since that is in fact an ongoing affront to dignity

that's been ongoing, i've seen a bunch of different terms. 'People Management' is one, 'Human Relations' is another that lets everyone still call it HR because force of habit dies hard.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i guess "corporate protection" is already taken, huh

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

hr could be set up like an accounting department with inbound/receivables [hiring, transfers, promotions] and outbound/payables [you getting fired, we need to cut a check to cover for our lovely ceo, etc.]. everything else people seem to think they do but actually don't [conflict resolution, helping if you have a personal problem, maintaining a non-hostile work environment] doesn't fit in this model and it will be clear to people if you're talking to hr what to expect

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

rotor posted:

wow do i ever have some news for you wrt written language.

:prepop:

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

prefect posted:

i didn't get the joke originally, but now i do :tipshat:

I should have workshopped it more, but I'm glad you made it through!

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

qirex posted:

hr could be set up like an accounting department with inbound/receivables [hiring, transfers, promotions] and outbound/payables [you getting fired, we need to cut a check to cover for our lovely ceo, etc.]. everything else people seem to think they do but actually don't [conflict resolution, helping if you have a personal problem, maintaining a non-hostile work environment] doesn't fit in this model and it will be clear to people if you're talking to hr what to expect

every company ive worked for that had the most functional HR had all those critical functions (hiring,firing,etc...) handled by finance. every other scenario is just massively wasteful in time and money because HR people are the most useless people on the earth.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

prefect posted:

unix came from the phone company, so i've decided that "trunk" is because that's also what they call phone lines. or some sorts of phone lines. i'm not sure about the specifics, but they exist, i bet

any kind of "main" buried utility line is also called a "trunk" line. they're installing a big new sewer trunk line on a road near me now, looks to be a 48" pipe so my posts will travel much faster

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

any kind of "main" buried utility line is also called a "trunk" line. they're installing a big new sewer trunk line on a road near me now, looks to be a 48" pipe so my posts will travel much faster

i think it's still the tree metaphor, but i wanted to mention it because it's one of those words that i was always around and never really understood, like "pbx"