Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

GreenBuckanneer posted:

"The game sells for 45 Yuan which is about $6.50 or €5.60"

Holy poo poo

It's a 10 year old game that was on a system that's only not been succeeded twice because it stopped having successors.

If anything that's expensive, honestly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Well I finished Ys 8 finally, good game and I did not expect the story in a Ys game to affect me that much and also get into the amount of weird metaphysics it did.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Supremezero posted:

It's a 10 year old game that was on a system that's only not been succeeded twice because it stopped having successors.

If anything that's expensive, honestly.

No that's cheap because if it was in english on steam you know it'd be $20

Manyorcas
Jun 16, 2007

The person who arrives last is fined, regardless of whether that person's late or not.

GreenBuckanneer posted:

"The game sells for 45 Yuan which is about $6.50 or €5.60"

Holy poo poo

On the one hand I want to give Falcom (or I guess the chinese publisher?) more money for the game.

On the other hand, I've probably handed out enough copes of Kiseki games to friends that my conscious should be in the clear.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
Young Orc

Overbite posted:

Ys 8 is so good I don’t see how 9 can top it.

Feel the same, but I'm ready to be wrong!

BearDrivingTruck
Oct 15, 2011

You see the most shocking sights sometimes
After finishing Einhel Keep, my opinion is that the voice direction in CS3 is not actually that bad. I also spent a good five minutes wondering if the Switch port had a new opening theme, because I'm a doofus who thought Mourning Refrain was the opening theme and not the ending theme.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

BearDrivingTruck posted:

After finishing Einhel Keep, my opinion is that the voice direction in CS3 is not actually that bad. I also spent a good five minutes wondering if the Switch port had a new opening theme, because I'm a doofus who thought Mourning Refrain was the opening theme and not the ending theme.
The voice acting is as good as it ever was, minus a few very minor side NPCs. All the returning cast know their roles well enough, and the new cast got at least a bit of time with the old voice director. There's a few bits of clunkiness and typos in the script, and a couple mistakes, but it's still an above average TL compared to a lot of other JRPGs.

BearDrivingTruck
Oct 15, 2011

Endorph posted:

The voice acting is as good as it ever was, minus a few very minor side NPCs. All the returning cast know their roles well enough, and the new cast got at least a bit of time with the old voice director. There's a few bits of clunkiness and typos in the script, and a couple mistakes, but it's still an above average TL compared to a lot of other JRPGs.

Oh yeah, definitely. I'm especially liking Ash's VA, he does a fantastic job of just barely hiding his disdain for Rean.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Someone please stop Geofront, they're becoming too powerful.

https://twitter.com/nihonfalcom/status/1278541163494965248?s=19

Scrap Dragon
Oct 6, 2013

SECRET TECHNIQUE:
DARK SHADOW
BLACK FALLEN ANGEL!

Picked CS3 up for the Switch, drat it feels good to play a new Trails game. I did encounter a bug, not sure if it’s exclusive to Switch version but the game can soft crash if you don’t immediately move after exiting a building in Saint-Arkh. This is also how I found out that Falcom didn’t include autosaves in what was originally a PS4 game. Game owns, asides from that.

Is it possible to miss Vantage Masters cards? I’m mainly talking about the ones in shops because Rean’s students need some equipment upgrades but it’s very tempting to have him spend all his money on children’s card games

Red Red Blue
Feb 11, 2007

I don't think the ones from the shop ever become unavailable, but the ones you win from beating other npcs can be a pain to get if you miss the opportunity to get them

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
iirc none of the cards are missable. All of the NPCs that give you cards are available to play against during the final chapter, but some of the NPC locations at the end are weird and you might need to look them up in a guide? And yeah, the shop ones don't disappear in later chapters

BearDrivingTruck
Oct 15, 2011

Munk's voice is weird, but it's also weird in a way that perfectly fits him?

I forgot how lousy "non-voiced Rean, voiced other character" was. Has NISA said anything about maybe updating the PC or Switch versions down the line like XSEED did?

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)

BearDrivingTruck posted:

Munk's voice is weird, but it's also weird in a way that perfectly fits him?

I forgot how lousy "non-voiced Rean, voiced other character" was. Has NISA said anything about maybe updating the PC or Switch versions down the line like XSEED did?

Last time they were asked about it, they said they had no plans.

BearDrivingTruck
Oct 15, 2011

Osborne's doing a lovely job running the country, just look at these inflated craft prices. Two years ago you only had to pay 45 CP for a Gale and now it's 80 CP??? Disgusting.

Irisize
Sep 30, 2014

Finished Trails in the Sky SC.

I felt like the first "half" of the game where you were just running around all the cities did drag on a bit compared to FC, but the last few chapters did hook me pretty well, so I guess it worked out.

Kind of want to see where the next game goes from here, but after running through the first two in about a week, I'm a bit worried about burning out burning out on the battle system.

unimportantguy
Dec 25, 2012

Hey, Johnny, what's a "shitpost"?
SC has been my chill and play before bed game for the past week or so and it works really well for that so far. Just finished Chapter 2. I have a feeling this game is gonna be long.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
Just got a bit of the way into Chapter 7 of Trails SC, beat the first tower section. About 42 hours in by the game clock. Am I overly optimistic in hoping I'll have this thing wrapped up in 20 or so hours? Not going for any kind of 100%, though I've been using a little guide to make sure I do all the bracer quests.

I do appreciate the idea of customizing your party, though I think they could have changed up the systems in SC to fit that. I wish that characters you didn't have in your party leveled along with you, but at least the way the XP curve works means that it's not hard to get someone quickly up to speed. Not having a global "quartz bank" does suck, though, since I've been removing and adding stuff from different characters as I go to try to best optimize. I'm kind of worried this will come back to haunt me if the game goes "surprise, you're using this dude now," and that dude has no orbments set, but it seems like in this chapter at least that won't be an issue?

I've also kinda given up on strategizing at all about orbments and I've just been reading an LP for this game and stealing their party/orbment composition. I like the idea of the system, but I feel like because the party keeps changing, I really don't have the effort to try to figure out what's best for everyone. Honestly, I feel like the game should give you way more specific advice about this than the roles it shows on the party select screen. I'm not sure yet whether I'm moving on to Cold Steel after this (or even 3rd, though from what I've heard that's pretty skippable), but I really hope that series has a different twist on these systems, because I'm tiring of them fast.

The most fascinating part of SC is how everything from the first part is revisited and remixed. I feel like every single semi-suspicious thing in the first game, from the locked door in the Rolent sewer to the fuckin dragon mentioned in a newspaper article makes an appearance here. I read somewhere it was planned as a single game originally, and was split due to budget constraints, but it's hard to imagine the developers seeding the entire world in FC to make sure it would suit their purposes in SC. I've never really seen anything like it.

abraham linksys fucked around with this message at 11:08 on Jul 6, 2020

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

abraham linksys posted:

I've also kinda given up on strategizing at all about orbments and I've just been reading an LP for this game and stealing their party/orbment composition. I like the idea of the system, but I feel like because the party keeps changing, I really don't have the effort to try to figure out what's best for everyone. Honestly, I feel like the game should give you way more specific advice about this than the roles it shows on the party select screen. I'm not sure yet whether I'm moving on to Cold Steel after this (or even 3rd, though from what I've heard that's pretty skippable), but I really hope that series has a different twist on these systems, because I'm tiring of them fast.

The most fascinating part of SC is how everything from the first part is revisited and remixed. I feel like every single semi-suspicious thing in the first game, from the locked door in the Rolent sewer to the fuckin dragon mentioned in a newspaper article makes an appearance here. I read somewhere it was planned as a single game originally, and was split due to budget constraints, but it's hard to imagine the developers seeding the entire world in FC to make sure it would suit their purposes in SC. I've never really seen anything like it.

Cold Steel nerfs arts and makes most characters like Agate and Zin, Bruisers with a focus on Craft Use. You basically end up using your orbments for stat boosts more than anything else, so it's generally easier to get em set up. So your problem basically evaporates. TC is actually super important to get Sky's character arcs finished since SC was the Estelle and Joshua show, but if you're feeling fatigue from Sky, I say take a break with CS or you know, any other game, till you feel like it, cuz it does make your orbment problem worse with it's setup.

Less budget, and more Falcom has never compromised on the content they want to add to the story, when they realized they'd be pushing out a 200 hour game in 2007 rather than a 60 hour game in 2004, they just did did the latter. Your praise of SC continues the entire series, youre not just playing a game, youre experiencing a world and it never fails to get me excited. My love of FC has transferred straight to CS4 without interruption and gotten hundreds of times stronger.

MythosDragon fucked around with this message at 11:26 on Jul 6, 2020

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

You're definitely in the second half of the game by that point but the last chapter/final act of SC is quite long.

Cold Steel simplifies the orbment system significantly by putting arts directly on the quartz rather than having them be the product of a specific arrangement. and in general it downplays arts relative to Sky in favor of crafts being better.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

abraham linksys posted:

(or even 3rd, though from what I've heard that's pretty skippable)
3rd is absolutely not skippable, especially if you wish to play further games in the franchise. You could argue that Sky SC is a decent place to stop in the sense that it more or less wraps up Estelle and Joshua's story, and if that's all you care about then sure you could probably stop there and not play another Trails game. But if you want if you do want to move on to Cold Steel and Crossbell, do not sleep on 3rd.

For what it's worth, Sky 3rd is more or less a completely different format in terms of how it's structured and paced. It's more of a dungeon crawler with a lot of vignettes that provide epilogues for the cast and/or set up future events. So if you're tired of retreading the same areas in FC and SC that at least is less of the case here. It's also my favorite Sky game so take that for what it's worth.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
I skipped 3rd.

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.

Clarste posted:

I skipped 3rd.

Mods?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I skipped 3rd and the end of SC (one day)

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

3rd is a good game but you can definitely skip it and return later if you're tired of the Sky gameplay

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I think Cold Steel is stand alone enough that yeah you could probably just go straight to it (and in fact most people here probably did just that since the localization of 3rd came out after Cold Steel 2 was localized) but in terms of telling the overall story of the Sky games and how they fit into the rest of the world, especially Crossbell, it's just as important as any other singular game.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

About how long is chapter 6 and Final chapter of cold steel 1?

Also,what are the requirements of the save import into 2

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

I beat CS3 and there’s one thing I didn’t follow that I’m not sure if I was supposed to understand. How did Musse become some super puppetmaster who was running things behind the scenes? There was like two month gap between me beating the section at her hometown and the game so if I missed something let me know.

Red Red Blue
Feb 11, 2007

Even if 3rd was skippable it's really loving good so why would you

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

GreenBuckanneer posted:

About how long is chapter 6 and Final chapter of cold steel 1?

Also,what are the requirements of the save import into 2

6 was a bit shorter than 4 for me, and 7 was a bit longer.

Completing CS1 lets you start CS2 with 100 of each type of sepith, a Zeram Powder and an Attack 1 Quartz.
Reaching level 70 gets you an extra 200 of each type of sepith and a Soul Blur Quartz.
If you managed to hit 80, that's another 200 sepith and a Saintly Force Quartz.

If you reached Academic Rank A1, you will receive the Silver Emblem accessory, which gives you HP +500 and EP +50.
If you reached Rank A0, you will receive the Golden Emblem accessory, which gives you HP +1000, EP +100, and STR/DEF/ATS/ADF +10.

There may be a few NPCs who will remember you in CS2 if you helped them out in CS1.

DLC costumes you bought will carry over.

There's a Thing you can do with one party member in the finale, and when everyone comes back in CS2 they'll have a bit of extra dialogue if they were eligible for it.

Ethiser posted:

I beat CS3 and there’s one thing I didn’t follow that I’m not sure if I was supposed to understand. How did Musse become some super puppetmaster who was running things behind the scenes? There was like two month gap between me beating the section at her hometown and the game so if I missed something let me know.

She always was all along, apparently? This is definitely going to get some serious expansion and ham-fisted retcons in the fourth game.

Red Red Blue posted:

Even if 3rd was skippable it's really loving good so why would you

:hmmyes:

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Jul 6, 2020

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Ethiser posted:

From the start of the game it's clear there's more to her. She knows about Hamel, for one thing. She also has scenes where she talks with Aurelia.

Irisize
Sep 30, 2014

Nate RFB posted:

For what it's worth, Sky 3rd is more or less a completely different format in terms of how it's structured and paced. It's more of a dungeon crawler with a lot of vignettes that provide epilogues for the cast and/or set up future events.

Yeah I was, uh, not expecting this to be how the third game went after the first two. Not sure I'm ready for a format that seems like it focuses even more on the combat than the first two games did, but it seems to be going fast enough. The fact that they give you a bunch of strong quartz fairly early on is nice, too. And I am definitely very interested in what's going on with the plot.

As a side note, is there a preference between the ps4 and pc versions of cold steel?

Irisize fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Jul 6, 2020

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Irisize posted:

Yeah I was, uh, not expecting this to be how the third game went after the first two. Not sure I'm ready for a format that seems like it focuses even more on the combat than the first two games did, but it seems to be going fast enough. The fact that they give you a bunch of strong quartz fairly early on is nice, too. And I am definitely very interested in what's going on with the plot.

As a side note, is there a preference between the ps4 and pc versions of cold steel?

there's a chapter in cs1 and 2 where you're dealing with heavy fog effects and for cs2 it made my ps4 chug, it's really unbelievable

if pc is able to fix that id say go for it because i found it annoying. i think both have QoL stuff like turbo mode

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Winner Of The TRP I dont actually remember the contest im pretty high right now here's your venkys tag

Ethiser posted:

They go into it more in IV. It's dumb. Basically, Magical 4d mind chess powers

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:

Irisize posted:

the combat stuff is definitely my biggest worry with 3rd - I feel super burnt out on the combat system from FC/SC. I probably could read a Let's Play (which was my original plan with SC, but I realized like hours after finishing FC that I really felt the urge to see that story all the way through). I'm still a few days out from finishing SC, so curious to hear your further takes as you dig into 3rd!

I know Cold Steel is a similar combat system, but all the talk of Quartz being more about passive stat boosts and the focus being on crafts sounds like a really appealing change. I don't know if it'll be fresh enough to make three (and eventually four) whole more games of it interesting, but at least it is something new. I got excited when I started SC with the refreshed orbments and the chain attacks, but the former ended up not really being a factor for most of the game so far because you don't get higher level quartz for a while, and I think I've used the latter like... five times, and four of those times were in the boss fight where Julia is in your party and has a Chain 4 attack.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Assists are a much bigger deal in the CS games, and you use them constantly.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I'm not sure how much of a difference it might make since it is still ultimately the same battle system as the first two games, but Sky 3rd does both shower you in good quartz pretty quickly and introduces some of the most broken characters in the franchise (still to this date IMO) and combined with the fact that there are no BP rewards I felt I could kind of coast through much of the game outside of a few challenge fights. Getting the super sword for Anelace early on by winning a certain fight also can be a big help.

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
I actually thought 3rd was really good, it's totally different setting and setup from the previous 2 games but you get nearly every character to play around with, a bit refreshing not to have to scramble for the limited edition books and stuff and go straight through the story. Lots of interesting sub stories, I especially enjoyed the parts about Renne and her history.

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

Irisize posted:

Turbo is hosed on PC, PS4 is much better. Never experienced the dreaded Legram slowdown even on Vita back in 2015 either, and definitely not my ps4 replay last year.

abraham linksys posted:

I know Cold Steel is a similar combat system, but all the talk of Quartz being more about passive stat boosts and the focus being on crafts sounds like a really appealing change. I don't know if it'll be fresh enough to make three (and eventually four) whole more games of it interesting, but at least it is something new.

Even if you start getting sick of CS gameplay, turbo is such an amazing factor that you're unlikely to feel any real burnout barring npcs and final dungeon, if anything you'll be like "Need more killing stuff" cuz its so fast. Combeine it with CS3 doing Persona 5's gimmick better than it, and CS3 almost feels like an action game with fast and non menu'y the gameplay is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.

MythosDragon posted:

Turbo is hosed on PC, PS4 is much better.

If by hosed you mean that it skips battle animations, I made a patch for that. So that probably shouldn't affect your decision towards PS4.