Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

https://twitter.com/LackingSaint/status/1280251399201337344

Jack is not the idiot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

:staredog:

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

I don't know, it took him forever to figure out that the guy who looked and sounded exactly like Solid Snake and knew a bunch of things that only Solid Snake would know was in fact Solid Snake.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Re: JK Rowling's achievements in pushing the honourable ship of literature further than it was before.

Now we know she is a horrible TERF, and seems to want to devote this part of her life to hating on innocent trans people.

But I would argue if you can distance her books from that, (and I can understand if you can't), she actually did do some good.

She got kids reading, and excited about reading. As the series went on, the books got bigger and bigger, so she got kids to not be scared of big heavy long books. Hermione is a fairly decent, (for a kids book), female protagonist with agency, flaws, and a sort of arc. The big brush stroke themes of teh early books of "look, this guy is clearly the baddy, no wait, he is actually a secret goody with reasons you didn't know, and the guy you thought was a goody is actually the baddy", is an interesting twist for the 11-14yo who should be reading it. And probably some other stuff too.

I know none of this is groundbreaking, and there are probably 10 other authors who did all of that and more both better and before. Also, most importantly none of it justifies her inexplicable hate towards trans people. But the HP book series did do a lot of good for some kids

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Imagine getting angry about someone being trans. Like how little do you have going on in your life that you can't just apologize for misgendering them and then using the correct pronouns going forward. Trans rights are basic humans rights

Karia
Mar 27, 2013

Self-portrait, Snake on a Plane
Oil painting, c. 1482-1484
Leonardo DaVinci (1452-1591)

there wolf posted:

Garth Nix! That's one guy explicitly writing fantasy for teens.

Just never, ever touch the sequels to the Abhorsen trilogy. They are the absolute worse loving garbage I've ever read, which is a shame after how great the original trilogy was.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Karia posted:

Just never, ever touch the sequels to the Abhorsen trilogy. They are the absolute worse loving garbage I've ever read, which is a shame after how great the original trilogy was.

Oh dear, I've only read the originals.

I didn't realise there were sequels because I don't really know how you follow on from that but are there specific reasons why they're bad?

Karia
Mar 27, 2013

Self-portrait, Snake on a Plane
Oil painting, c. 1482-1484
Leonardo DaVinci (1452-1591)

OwlFancier posted:

Oh dear, I've only read the originals.

I didn't realise there were sequels because I don't really know how you follow on from that but are there specific reasons why they're bad?

It's been a few years since I read them, but here's a rough summary of Goldenhand. If this summary is incoherent, then that is equally attributable to my continuing blinding rage and the fact that original plot is nonexistent.

Goldenhand is set a couple years after the original trilogy, and is about Nick and Lirael's budding romance, with another world-ending threat tacked on for good measure. Nick needs to go the the Clayr because of some stupid Mary Sue bullshit (I think he's now a walking Charter Stone?), so Lirael goes and picks him up, they get together, and then promptly decide they need to hide it from everyone for absolutely no articulated reason. Once they find out, every other character immediately just goes "Oh, you two are perfect for each other", and there's literally no conflict about it. It's just the most boringly saccharine romance imaginable.

So, uh, what about that world-ending threat? They introduce a new character who's fleeing from some weird necromancer forces in the north, I think she was being groomed specifically so some spirit could take over her body. It's actually a pretty cool setup and I think there was some good pathos. Shame that she only gets a couple odd interspersed chapters as she runs south to find the Clayr to stop the necromancer. I swear this is literally completely true: the main characters do not learn that the plot exists until over 90% of the way through the book.

At this point I'd assumed that they were setting up for a sequel because absolutely nothing had happened. The entire plot gets wrapped up in like the last 30-40 pages. They set out for the north, there's a big battle offscreen, Nick and Lirael go into Death to fight the necromancer, and Sam hooks up with the girl who fled from the north because I guess we've got to pair off all the teenagers? Nick and Lirael get in trouble and aren't going to make it back, so guess who shows up to help them?

The loving Disreputable Dog. Not only is the book horseshit, but it actually goes out of its way to eliminate Lirael's sacrifice at the end of Abhorsen by having the Dog come back. It's honestly impressive: Nix managed to retroactively destroy the ending of the original trilogy. All that stuff about how she had to become independent and fend for herself? Yeah, that's gone. She and Nick are completely codependent, and start pining whenever they're apart for more than five minutes. I guess she didn't really need to become a strong, independent woman. All she needed was to find the right man! :barf:

Oh, and the other book, Clariel? Yeah, even the people who liked Goldenhand say that it's hot garbage.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

BrigadierSensible posted:

Re: JK Rowling's achievements in pushing the honourable ship of literature further than it was before.

Now we know she is a horrible TERF, and seems to want to devote this part of her life to hating on innocent trans people.

But I would argue if you can distance her books from that, (and I can understand if you can't), she actually did do some good.

She got kids reading, and excited about reading. As the series went on, the books got bigger and bigger, so she got kids to not be scared of big heavy long books. Hermione is a fairly decent, (for a kids book), female protagonist with agency, flaws, and a sort of arc. The big brush stroke themes of teh early books of "look, this guy is clearly the baddy, no wait, he is actually a secret goody with reasons you didn't know, and the guy you thought was a goody is actually the baddy", is an interesting twist for the 11-14yo who should be reading it. And probably some other stuff too.

I know none of this is groundbreaking, and there are probably 10 other authors who did all of that and more both better and before. Also, most importantly none of it justifies her inexplicable hate towards trans people. But the HP book series did do a lot of good for some kids

the single asian character is named cho chaing, and her main role in the story is that she's hot and harry wants to gently caress her. the book laughs about slavery, and your good female character gets laughed at for being against it.

harry potter would be bad even if it was actually written by hatsuni miku

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Annabel Pee posted:

Someone on my facebook posted this crap about Lewis Hamilton's opinion on BLM is hypocritical because he uses problematic brands like Adidas and Nike. Has anyone got a good explanation to explain to people why this type of thinking is stupid, Like the you live in a society comic thingy but explained better?

Hypocrisy is overrated as a sin. It’s just way easier to attack a person on grounds of hypocrisy than it is to attack them on the merits of their positions.

This is a passage from a work of fiction, but at least it’s better than Harry Potter:

quote:

“You know, when I was a young man, hypocrisy was deemed the worst of vices,” Finkle-McGraw said. “It was all because of moral relativism. You see, in that sort of a climate, you are not allowed to criticise others-after all, if there is no absolute right and wrong, then what grounds is there for criticism? … Now, this led to a good deal of general frustration, for people are naturally censorious and love nothing better than to criticise others’ shortcomings. And so it was that they seized on hypocrisy and elevated it from a ubiquitous peccadillo into the monarch of all vices. For, you see, even if there is no right and wrong, you can find grounds to criticise another person by contrasting what he has espoused with what he has actually done. In this case, you are not making any judgment whatsoever as to the correctness of his views or the morality of his behaviour—you are merely pointing out that he has said one thing and done another. Virtually all political discourse in the days of my youth was devoted to the ferreting out of hypocrisy.

We take a somewhat different view of hypocrisy,” Finkle-McGraw continued. “In the late-twentieth-century Weltanschauung, a hypocrite was someone who espoused high moral views as part of a planned campaign of deception—he never held these beliefs sincerely and routinely violated them in privacy. Of course, most hypocrites are not like that. Most of the time it’s a spirit-is-willing, flesh-is-weak sort of thing.”

“That we occasionally violate our own stated moral code,” Major Napier said, working it through, “does not imply that we are insincere in espousing that code.”

“Of course not,” Finkle-McGraw said. “It’s perfectly obvious, really. No one ever said that it was easy to hew to a strict code of conduct. Really, the difficulties involved—the missteps we make along the way—are what make it interesting. The internal, and eternal, struggle, between our base impulses and the rigorous demands of our own moral system is quintessentially human. It is how we conduct ourselves in that struggle that determines how we may in time be judged by a higher power.”

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Karia posted:

It's been a few years since I read them, but here's a rough summary of Goldenhand. If this summary is incoherent, then that is equally attributable to my continuing blinding rage and the fact that original plot is nonexistent.

Goldenhand is set a couple years after the original trilogy, and is about Nick and Lirael's budding romance, with another world-ending threat tacked on for good measure. Nick needs to go the the Clayr because of some stupid Mary Sue bullshit (I think he's now a walking Charter Stone?), so Lirael goes and picks him up, they get together, and then promptly decide they need to hide it from everyone for absolutely no articulated reason. Once they find out, every other character immediately just goes "Oh, you two are perfect for each other", and there's literally no conflict about it. It's just the most boringly saccharine romance imaginable.

So, uh, what about that world-ending threat? They introduce a new character who's fleeing from some weird necromancer forces in the north, I think she was being groomed specifically so some spirit could take over her body. It's actually a pretty cool setup and I think there was some good pathos. Shame that she only gets a couple odd interspersed chapters as she runs south to find the Clayr to stop the necromancer. I swear this is literally completely true: the main characters do not learn that the plot exists until over 90% of the way through the book.

At this point I'd assumed that they were setting up for a sequel because absolutely nothing had happened. The entire plot gets wrapped up in like the last 30-40 pages. They set out for the north, there's a big battle offscreen, Nick and Lirael go into Death to fight the necromancer, and Sam hooks up with the girl who fled from the north because I guess we've got to pair off all the teenagers? Nick and Lirael get in trouble and aren't going to make it back, so guess who shows up to help them?

The loving Disreputable Dog. Not only is the book horseshit, but it actually goes out of its way to eliminate Lirael's sacrifice at the end of Abhorsen by having the Dog come back. It's honestly impressive: Nix managed to retroactively destroy the ending of the original trilogy. All that stuff about how she had to become independent and fend for herself? Yeah, that's gone. She and Nick are completely codependent, and start pining whenever they're apart for more than five minutes. I guess she didn't really need to become a strong, independent woman. All she needed was to find the right man! :barf:

Oh, and the other book, Clariel? Yeah, even the people who liked Goldenhand say that it's hot garbage.

What a loving bizzare inversion for a series that hitherto had virtually no romance and was entirely about kickass young women putting on the sunglasses and dealing with existential horrors.

Especially bizzare given the series central point that it keeps making which is that death is inevitable and you have to accept it, to resurrect a major character whose departure is extremely important to the emotional resonance of the end of the trilogy.

Also why would anybody make a book about nick, he doesn't do anything except suck poo poo and whinge for the entire loving book he's in. He has no character to speak of. He's a plot device.

Like the whole thing with the progression from Sabriel to Lirael and their respective stories is that the books clearly need for there to be a generational cycle, once a character completes that arc they stagnate and become far less interesting characters, while it's nice to see Sabriel and beefsteak show up in the 3rd for a cameo the book would clearly not work if it was about them.

OwlFancier has a new favorite as of 01:17 on Jul 7, 2020

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

African countries are willing to take those evicted Blacks. The Wa Po recently wrote about it. This would be the perfect opportunity for Blacks to return to their homeland and rediscover their roots. Instead of a stimulus package, a relocation grant should be created. Give Blacks $20000 dollars ; have them revoke their American citizenship and transport them to Africa.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Karia posted:

I've already made that mistake. And the shortest way to describe the problem is that Nix was going back to a dry well for the sake of another book, and the result is a cliched pile of nothing.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

I give you Ellen Pao. Thread, with screencaps, because she took herself private.

https://twitter.com/lachlan/status/1280125082636075008

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Lottery of Babylon posted:

African countries are willing to take those evicted Blacks. The Wa Po recently wrote about it. This would be the perfect opportunity for Blacks to return to their homeland and rediscover their roots. Instead of a stimulus package, a relocation grant should be created. Give Blacks $20000 dollars ; have them revoke their American citizenship and transport them to Africa.

Source your quotes

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I give you Ellen Pao. Thread, with screencaps, because she took herself private.

Some hot takes coming from this:

https://twitter.com/AndoAnima/status/1280184409983815681

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

The french had a pretty good solution to being ruled by people you thought were monsters.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Skwirl posted:

Source your quotes

Enoch Powell.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Skwirl posted:

Source your quotes

i am a liberal,

i want to be a globalist , because i am educated and cosmopolitan, i am a man of the future.
i travel in europe and i support gay rights, black lives matter , at least they do to me.
( not that i have actually known any black people in my lifetime )

when half the country can't make it , in the global race to the bottom,
i want to pretend i care, i want to pretend to myself in particular, that i really do care.
so i blame the situation on somebody else and pretend my own support of globalization
has nothing to do with it.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Her Twitter bio said "reformed VC" or something and lmao there's no washing that blood off

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

"Fight not with monsters lest ye become a monster" right? So never fight a monster and you'll never become one. Checkmate :smug:

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

T-man posted:

the single asian character is named cho chaing, and her main role in the story is that she's hot and harry wants to gently caress her. the book laughs about slavery, and your good female character gets laughed at for being against it.

Snape is a guy who joined the nazis because his first crush spurned him and then takes his 20-odd years of frustrations over it out on her son, a boy who has known nothing but abuse his entire life. And he's a "hero".

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem
Even as a kid I basically ignored the existence of the last couple books. I loved the first 4? 5? of them but after that they are absolute loving garbage, ESPECIALLY snape's "redemption"

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

T-man posted:

Yawgmoth posted:

Snape is a guy who joined the nazis because his first crush spurned him and then takes his 20-odd years of frustrations over it out on her son, a boy who has known nothing but abuse his entire life. And he's a "hero".

And then there's the Jew-coded goblins all the way back in the first book.

Like, that should have been a red flag to a lot of people.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Cernunnos posted:

And then there's the Jew-coded goblins all the way back in the first book.

Like, that should have been a red flag to a lot of people.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q4PC8Luqiws i think this is an interview with jk's sister? not sure if it's real, LoB any thoughts?

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

T-man posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q4PC8Luqiws i think this is an interview with jk's sister? not sure if it's real, LoB any thoughts?

Just do yourselves a favor and don't read the comment. Also maybe not the video because it's honestly barely satire.

Guilty
May 3, 2003
Ask me about how people having a bad reaction to MSG makes them racist, because I've never heard of gluten sensitivity

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I like how she basically shrugged her shoulders to a loving child sex trafficking ring because she "was outside the inner circle" and wanted to get in.

https://twitter.com/nycsouthpaw/status/1280127040264568834?s=19

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

I gotta disagree with Lottery of Babylon here.

Also I enjoy Mike & Ike's more than Hot Tamales.

trickybiscuits
Jan 13, 2008

yospos

Chubby Henparty posted:

Can't remember if it was Diana Wynne Jones or Susan Cooper who were all 'where's our billions damnit'. They probably deserved it, or at least better film adaptations than what they got. Jones was my Rowling, and as far as I know, a good person.
Both had C. S. "If even a single person does not understand that the big lion is Jesus I will set myself on fire" Lewis as a professor. Between Susan Cooper and Elizabeth Marie Pope's The Perilous Gard, it's no wonder that I got a largely-useless degree in medieval literature and became obsessed with prehistoric Britain. (Fun fact: The Perilous Gard and Jones's Fire and Hemlock are both retellings of the Tam Lin story.)

Splash Attack posted:

my mom is cis but she'd fail the "REAL WOMEN HAVE WOMBS" test because she had to get hers removed ten years ago because she was growing tumors in there.
That's not a nice way to describe your siblings.

Apprentice Dick
Dec 1, 2009

Push El Burrito posted:

:same:

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Skwirl posted:

Source your quotes

I see you haven't met Lottery of Babylon before. Welcome back to the thread, Babs.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/TonyBeast1957/status/1280174160317038595?s=19

Edit:

Push El Burrito posted:

So you're actually saying you agree with LoB?

MizPiz has a new favorite as of 02:59 on Jul 7, 2020

The Sausages
Sep 30, 2012

What do you want to do? Who do you want to be?

Len posted:

Imagine getting angry about someone being trans. Like how little do you have going on in your life that you can't just apologize for misgendering them and then using the correct pronouns going forward. Trans rights are basic humans rights

I suspect it has something to do with the likes of Peterson and other conservative pundits calmly (or not) and oh so rationally explaining why liberals will use misgendering as evidence against you in their court of public opinion - They'll get you fired and send you to jail and probably shoot you when the revolution comes, therefore treating trans people with respect is actually a form of losing.

It's anger as a response to fear hence the term transphobia. That fear tends not to be grounded in reality though. More like paranoia.

Not gonna lie I don't 'get' being trans but I don't think that loving matters. Because ultimately I'm unlikely to grok being anything but what I am, and shouldn't have to, and that applies to loving everyone not just me and people like me. Still I heartily recommend questioning one's sexuality while on moderate doses of shrooms at some stage in your life, they should make that poo poo part of gender studies classes.

Source your quotes please esp when they advocate ethnic cleansing

Cat Potency
Aug 13, 2006

Chairman Meow
I'm a man who has kissed men and women and I read some, but not all, Harry Potter books. I enjoyed them but , tbf, I was a child at the time.

Cat Potency has a new favorite as of 04:08 on Jul 7, 2020

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

SneezeOfTheDecade posted:

I see you haven't met Lottery of Babylon before. Welcome back to the thread, Babs.

Yeah, hey, so what's this guy's deal?

The Sausages
Sep 30, 2012

far as I can tell they're just a cute SA troll that I'm now feeding

though they may just be posting unsourced quotes which have the same effect

Cat Potency
Aug 13, 2006

Chairman Meow

Moon Slayer posted:

Yeah, hey, so what's this guy's deal?

They copy and paste stuff from around the web sans context

StillFullyTerrible
Feb 16, 2020

you should have left Let's Play open for public view, Lowtax
Ever since the start of the very first idiots on social media thread, Lottery of Babylon has posted unsourced idiots on social media quotes. Over time it became thread tradition.

The Sausages
Sep 30, 2012

Cat Potency posted:

They copy and paste stuff from around the web sans context

Holy poo poo that's brilliant

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Then they'd better not do it with quotes that are extremely racist.