Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tank44
Jun 13, 2005

We want the ball & We're going to score

Verman posted:

I think our league commissioner is getting pressured to get playing ASAP by people who don't care about covid and either want a refund or to play the rest of the season. He recently emailed all the captains and said some bullshit made-up number of "80-90% of players are ready to start playing as soon as 10 days from now if we can get approved".

One of the teams I play on is at about 50% of those who won't play. My other team is the same. I have a difficult time believing 90% are ready to play again.

Also, just because people are ready to play again didn't mean we should. We're trusting a league who can barely schedule games every week to be responsible for our health? Lol. If I've learned anything during all of this, it's how little regard a lot of people have for a virus affecting themselves let alone other people. A lot of people turn this into a political thing but really, viruses don't give a poo poo how you vote or what you believe.

We just had a call last night with all the captains and director. Director didn't send an actual survey, he just emailed every captain to get responses from them. He tried saying that 80% want to play and only a few teams said no. Then he mentioned only half the teams actually responded to him though. I would like to see an actual survey with real numbers vs hearsay. I think the people who are really pushing to play are the only ones responding right now.

He went down a rabbit hole of not being able to use locker rooms, people should wear full bubble masks for better protection. Benches will be elongated with chairs. Limiting team size to 10 skaters and a goalie which sucks for teams who have bigger rosters. Also sucks for people who paid to play but are immune compromised and can't participate until things are safer.

In my opinion, if you have to split hairs that finely, to the point of recommending bubbles for everybody, dressing at home or in the parking lot, maybe it's just not time to come back yet. I think people lose the idea that this is a recreational game, it's not that important and definitely not worth people's lives.

I also wondered about legal liability. Guys in favor of returning right away started tried to say we're all accepting risks to play hockey anyway, this is just another. My opinion is the risks everybody signed up for are hockey related, not catching a possibly deadly virus because someone was sloppy about their hygiene or social distance. One guy said it's the responsibility of each person to notify their captain if they get sick. I know plenty of selfish people who wouldn't say a thing because they want to play regardless. Some people got it and we're asymptomatic so they might not even know they're sick. You just can't trust strangers to do the responsible thing when your health is at risk. From a legal standpoint, if our league jumps through all these hoops and says it's safe to come back, and someone catches it because of the league and possibly dies ... that seems like a massive legal liability. If I were a commissioner I would be terrified of a potential lawsuit.

My two teams did a 5 point scale from definitely will play when hockey resumes to definitely wont play. The team I thought would be all in scored near middle but leaning to no playing. The other team of older people that I thought wouldn't play ever again is at the 4 mark to play. I am on the likely side but lots to play with. I also do not look forward to getting dressed in Everett on the side of the road next to homeless people and prostitutes - sorry maam Im putting my jock strap on myself.

Re: GSHL, league paid for ice and once the rinks open, that may be the pressure point "you paid, here's your ice, use it". Also the fact that there's to be a 2nd wave and huge spike in the fall doesn't sound like this will last long.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

We are a mango cart team. It’s easy to drink and better on tap vs cans.

It’s nice though, 4 of us get together and just socially distance drink in a park or backyard. Maybe we will set up a shooting mat or something

titanium
Mar 11, 2004

NONE SHALL PASS!
I got to sit in with another NHL offseason practice. I have some new gear and I'm still trying to get it dialed in so I'm looking/feeling rough aside from the extra covid weight. Thankfully 2 other pro goalies were there and I was just acting as a break for them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TYSpXDcxe3A

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

titanium posted:

I got to sit in with another NHL offseason practice. I have some new gear and I'm still trying to get it dialed in so I'm looking/feeling rough aside from the extra covid weight. Thankfully 2 other pro goalies were there and I was just acting as a break for them.

It's fuckin wild watching your videos. You move around so non-chalantly and make every shot look like it's an easy save. Thanks for posting.

ZuluDashOne
May 1, 2020

#NeverForget

Go Wings!

:911:

titanium posted:

e: never mind.

ZuluDashOne fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Jun 25, 2020

EvilTwig
Jan 31, 2001

V for Vegans posted:

Let me know how that goes. A lot of people in StinkySocks seem like they’d be the kind of person who assumes covid is a political ploy so they probably won’t be taking anything seriously. Which rink did you sign up for?

West Roxbury is the rink, we'll see how the protocols are handled.

V for Vegans
Jan 30, 2009

EvilTwig posted:

West Roxbury is the rink, we'll see how the protocols are handled.

Someone from my team texted us about playing in Brighton and almost everyone immediately replied no. We have three doctors on our team (and they’re the best players on the team) so I think they have a lot of say in when we start playing again.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

it was an honour to shitpost in this thread for so long, this thread made by bewbies, the best of men

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
I'm still holding out hope for a lowtax ouster

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Well that's never gonna happen, dude is gonna be sleeping in his GTR if he loses the site because he has nothing else.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

Pleads posted:

it was an honour to shitpost in this thread for so long, this thread made by bewbies, the best of men

It was an pleasure to serve with the greatest human being. Seeing as I'm not expecting to play hockey personally until this pandemic ends, this may be a retirement post. See you nerds on the other side.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

It was an honor to get trolled and made fun of by sellouts for the past decade

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

Before this dead gay forum burns to the ground, here's the email I got from Bauer about their Concept 3 splash guard:

"I am familiar with the ASTM F2100 standard and the performance levels that are offered by face masks. The splash guard doesn’t function in the same way and that standard wouldn’t be relevant. It is more appropriate to consider it, when attached to the Concept 3 face protector, like a face shield and look at the ANSI Z87.1 standard. Together the splash guard and Concept 3 face protector will provide a level of protection from splash and droplet hazard. That is the goal of the splash guard."

So basically if you check some wannabe-scouted guy and he spits at you, you're probably mostly good.

Aerosols, which is the most likely vector of infection, go "IDGAF about that" and kill you.

I give up.

titanium
Mar 11, 2004

NONE SHALL PASS!
And more pro skate stuff from yesterday. Feeling a lot better here but just didnt have the lungs to go all practice, the younger goalies were really fun to watch too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uW4OnKyc-Sg

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

It was an honor to get trolled and made fun of by sellouts for the past decade

I’ve softened a bit in my old age

I still use your white Easton helmet for my clear half shield btw. It’s great.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Well there's less posting going on and no rookies in a while, cuts down on your opportunities.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

you really just gonna put it on a tee like that

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

lol at people trying to play hockey right now

https://old.reddit.com/r/hockeyplayers/comments/hi0gcn/stay_safe/

quote:

Our local leagues have started back up. First week of games started last Monday and there has even a player that has tested positive for COVID and is now in the hospital. Doesn’t help that this is an Over 35 league.

The player played against my team. Luckily I didn’t go.

All this to say- stay safe out there and only play if you feel comfortable.

Edit- turns out as a result from this, the league cancelled tonight’s games that either my team or the other team with the player who tested positive had scheduled.

Players who played last Monday now have to either provide a negative covid test before playing again, or complete a 14 day quarantine.

All of this after the league threatened you’d lose your roster spot and not play if you didn’t sign a waiver saying it’s not the leagues problem. Of course no refunds were offered either.

V for Vegans
Jan 30, 2009
Whelp, Massachusetts just re-defined what counts as phase 3 and whats phase 3B for reopening and hockey got pushed back. Stinky socks put out an ad saying they were delaying all games for two weeks. Not that I’m in a rush to get back (probably not for months if I’m being honest) but I wonder if they’ll just keep pushing it back further and further.

The league said that they were reaching out to officials about non-contact hockey but I still think that you’d have to get way too close to be effective.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

The private pickup I’m in wants 4v4 no one within 10 feet no one within 10 feet of goalies. No idea how many of it is going to work.

I emailed the guy and said we should just get shooting pads put em 6 feet apart in the parking lot and a case of beer between each set of mats

EvilTwig
Jan 31, 2001

V for Vegans posted:

Whelp, Massachusetts just re-defined what counts as phase 3 and whats phase 3B for reopening and hockey got pushed back. Stinky socks put out an ad saying they were delaying all games for two weeks. Not that I’m in a rush to get back (probably not for months if I’m being honest) but I wonder if they’ll just keep pushing it back further and further.

The league said that they were reaching out to officials about non-contact hockey but I still think that you’d have to get way too close to be effective.

Yep, just got the cancellation notice for this coming Friday. Power Play Hockey ( which took over for NESHL and MAHL) also just delayed our start by at least another week.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

sellouts posted:

The private pickup I’m in wants 4v4 no one within 10 feet no one within 10 feet of goalies. No idea how many of it is going to work.

I emailed the guy and said we should just get shooting pads put em 6 feet apart in the parking lot and a case of beer between each set of mats

Can they mount you on a little turntable that someone can rotate by twisting a handle?

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

mount me xzzy

V for Vegans
Jan 30, 2009
All adult leagues are now just drinking beer and playing that sauce game that hockey influencers are always playing at beaches on YouTube and Instagram. No refunds, this counts as finishing your season.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

My league started back up last night, and my team had a game. They won 11-0, because the other team didn't have a goalie. There was also a forfeit in another game, which I assume was because one team didn't show up (it rarely happens in this league). Only one actual game seemed to happen. Should be interesting to see how the rest of this season finishes out.

YeehawMcKickass
Jan 2, 2003

WE WELCOME THE OPPRESSORS
ASHL 4 on 4 is... interesting. It's not bad, feels and plays a bit faster. Scoring was mostly on breakaways in the game I was in, and skaters were dead towards the end.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

I would almost be okay with three on three - spacing would easier and I feel like you'd be able to pace it a little better instead of killing yourself.

I miss hockey :sadday:

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug
We signed up for a tournament in PA a few months ago. We played in the same tournament last year and had a great time. Unfortunately, they canceled the tournament today and now I'm sad. We haven't heard from our rink yet about our next year season.

V for Vegans
Jan 30, 2009
I walked into a pure hockey yesterday on my quest to find new rollerblades after my 21 year old blades broke the other day and it just made me want to play so badly again. But then again, I’d like to not have a breathing tube so I’ll still wait. Maybe some sort of outdoor roller hockey league will pop up near me but even that may be too risky.

drizzle
Jul 7, 2004

The world is a fine place and worth the fighting for and I hate very much to leave it.
First goal in like a year and it's during the season with no stats smh

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

think you might be missing the point there, friendo

YeehawMcKickass
Jan 2, 2003

WE WELCOME THE OPPRESSORS

drizzle posted:

First goal in like a year and it's during the season with no stats smh

HEY!

You got a goal! Just don’t go hard with the on ice celly.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
all goals matter

AAB
Nov 5, 2010

any lady players have advice I can pass on to my girlfriend about the equivalent of a jock strap for girls? shes gearing up for her first time playing as an adult and trying to figure that bit out

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

I asked the women on my team 2 said they both use the Bauer Compression Jill

Koth
Jul 1, 2005

YeehawMcKickass posted:

ASHL 4 on 4 is... interesting. It's not bad, feels and plays a bit faster. Scoring was mostly on breakaways in the game I was in, and skaters were dead towards the end.

Yeah, not having the break of whistles and lining up for a faceoff is pretty big. Every change is done on the fly. It's pretty much constant skating for 40 minutes.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

AAB posted:

any lady players have advice I can pass on to my girlfriend about the equivalent of a jock strap for girls? shes gearing up for her first time playing as an adult and trying to figure that bit out

All of the women I play with tend to wear lady jocks, not sure which ones in specific because I'm a gentleman and I don't stare.

But Im pretty certain they're wearing Bauer or shock doctor.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

After handing out lifetime/1-year bans for doing CC chargebacks for our season that hadn't started when Covid hit, our rink just sent out an email saying they will start issuing refunds. But will be keeping 25% as an "administrative fee." Apparently 25% of $650 per player is required to put a roster into a computer and click go on the schedule maker software. There's ~60 teams in beer league, which is about $660k income per season. For some reason, I don't think it costs $165k to "set up" a season.

Koth
Jul 1, 2005
Yeah, that's hosed up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

They’re getting lit up on our goalie Facebook page and the hockey director reads everything :lol: