Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

bees x1000 posted:

I don't believe this story can wrap up properly this year, unless the next 6 chapters are all double length or something. There's still way too much to explore and resolve.

I feel kind of the opposite, I think they could wrap up the story in like 3 chapters, though I felt that way since Eren sent all the Titans out. It depends on how much they want to dive into each individual character's arc.

Like Eren could legit end their threat to him within a couple of pages and it would totally make sense with the powerups he just received.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

iamsosmrt posted:

I feel kind of the opposite, I think they could wrap up the story in like 3 chapters, though I felt that way since Eren sent all the Titans out. It depends on how much they want to dive into each individual character's arc.

Like Eren could legit end their threat to him within a couple of pages and it would totally make sense with the powerups he just received.

That could totally happen, I just don't think it would be a good 'satisfying' way to end the series. I really, really want this story to stick the landing.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

bees x1000 posted:

That could totally happen, I just don't think it would be a good 'satisfying' way to end the series. I really, really want this story to stick the landing.

I think I had an idea of how I wanted the story to end maybe a few years ago, but honestly, since the Marley storyline, I'm content to see wherever this wild ride takes us. I think as long as it's not some obvious attempt to slap us readers in the face, I have faith that it'll at least be pretty good. We're probably at the Game of Thrones Season 8 episode 2 section of the ending, so hopefully instead of whatever the hell D+D did with that show, we'll get something that respects its own history and universe.

I expect at least a few of our main characters to die though.

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen
It might end in a couple chapters but there's no reasons those chapters couldn't be a little bit longer than normal too.

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747
A chapter where a bunch of Nazi fucks get greased is always a good chapter. Hopefully they'll take care of the rest coming back on their victory lap.

Super Rad
Feb 15, 2003
Sir Loin of Beef

Kerning Chameleon posted:

A chapter where a bunch of Nazi fucks get greased is always a good chapter. Hopefully they'll take care of the rest coming back on their victory lap.

It's a little less joyful when you remember it's Nazi fucks getting greased by Nazi fucks from a different country + those Nazi fucks' child soldiers + a handful of people who aren't Nazi fucks but did unwillingly aid Nazi fucks to sneak attack a city holding an international delegation.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...
I hope that Eren defeats Marley before they get to him.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
I love that their plan is just "Head vaguely in this direction, hope we find Eren and either stop him or talk him down, and then magically everything is ok". That's the plan.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Mulva posted:

I love that their plan is just "Head vaguely in this direction, hope we find Eren and either stop him or talk him down, and then magically everything is ok". That's the plan.

To be fair, is not like the plan could be better than that

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

New chapter spoilers (Korean scans)

https://old.reddit.com/r/ShingekiNoKyojin/comments/hm2loc/new_chapter_spoilers_chapter_130_prerelease/

apparently this chapter has Eren+Historia flashback, finally

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Apparently Colossal titans can swim. I can’t wait for this because it sounds hilarious

EDIT: It seems like Eren’s plan really is to just kill everyone except Paradise.

RatHat fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Jul 7, 2020

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

https://imgur.com/a/DhlsRcb

Chapter 130

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.
:bisonyes:

This chapter has everything I wanted. Eren's the dad, Colossal Titan action (gently caress, they can swim?!), and confirmation that the Rumbling is in full swing so there's no bs "psyche, Eren was only pretending" twist.

At this point, either Eren is stopped and Paradis is wiped out or Eren succeeds and the rest of the world is exterminated. I'm leaning strongly towards the latter as being the most likely outcome.

This chapter confirms that Eren (thinks he) can manipulate the memories of others. The series may well end with Eren succeeding and simply wiping the memories of everyone else so that they don't remember his actions. Everyone except Mikasa and Levi, of course, since they are immune as Ackermans.

"See you later, Eren" might be Mikasa's final words before killing herself out of guilt. Boy, that would be dark.

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

There's just enough ambiguity to who the father is to drive the shippers insane. Isayama had to have done this on purpose.

The shots of Eren mutilating himself are pretty metal. He will stop at nothing.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Props to Eren for going all the way and turning himself into a metal album cover.

Can you even imagine how sore his neck must be?

Sindai fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Jul 7, 2020

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day
My prediction, hinted at by how the pure titans in Shiganshina continued attacking people even after the rumbling began, and the way the hardening also came undone for Annie and Reiner, is that killing Eren would accomplish jack poo poo because he isn't micromanaging the wall titans - they've already received their orders, all at once.

The Rumbling will continue whether Eren lives or dies. It can't be stopped anymore.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Come on dude who called out that the Attack Titan was there. How are you making that judgement when all you can see is a crazy bone monster.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Every once in a while I think that I've seen every freaky loving monster I'll ever see and then this poo poo happens:

RubberLuffy
Mar 31, 2011
It really creeps me out

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Spoooooooooooooooooooooky AoT theory.

Chapter 12, last page, when Eren first willingly becomes a Titan and loses his mind, attacking Mikasa.

Looks like 2 people standing there (if you ignore that the window on the second floor has a similar-looking layout).

What if that was supposed to be Eren and Zeke during their memory travels, and there just wasn't enough time to add it into the revalation?

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.

Eren looks like both a puppet and a cage; two symbols antithetical to freedom. Dang.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
How is Eren even moving? Is his rib cage walking like a spider? Is he being carried by colossal titans?

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Ethiser posted:

Come on dude who called out that the Attack Titan was there. How are you making that judgement when all you can see is a crazy bone monster.

I don't know that it's that off the wall.

*sees crazy bone monster*

Dude: I think the big guy's in charge.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
goddamn, this chapter was fairly terrifying. isayama captured the horrific nature of everything going on perfectly.

tengen toppa attack titan is just incredibly nightmarish. the stegosaurus look from chapters back has nothing on what it actually turned out to be. also, it turned even more...elvish-looking from before for some reason.

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

I hope whatever Eren's doing somehow ends the titan curse. No one is free with that sword hanging over the world.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

bees x1000 posted:

I hope whatever Eren's doing somehow ends the titan curse. No one is free with that sword hanging over the world.

Didn't he kind of do this. It seemed like Ymir doesn't have to make titan bodies anymore if she doesn't want to.

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
I cannot wait for the nightmare dirge Sawano cooks up for the last scene in that chapter.

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

Ethiser posted:

Didn't he kind of do this. It seemed like Ymir doesn't have to make titan bodies anymore if she doesn't want to.
Maybe? The shifters haven't had any trouble getting their bodies in the last few chapters. But that could also be Eren pulling strings.

This chapter got me all hyped again so I put the AoT OST on shuffle.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Welp.

Uh.....welp.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...
I think Ymir Fritz is still a wildcard. I think it's not beyond the realm of possibility that she could take these powers away. And we still need one final resolution with Zeke, as well.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

In It For The Tank posted:

Eren looks like both a puppet and a cage; two symbols antithetical to freedom. Dang.

Good point!

I'm having a End of Evangelion vibe going on, in between this being the beginning of the apocalypse and the creepy/nightmarish stuff.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Conspiratiorist posted:

My prediction, hinted at by how the pure titans in Shiganshina continued attacking people even after the rumbling began, and the way the hardening also came undone for Annie and Reiner, is that killing Eren would accomplish jack poo poo because he isn't micromanaging the wall titans - they've already received their orders, all at once.

The Rumbling will continue whether Eren lives or dies. It can't be stopped anymore.
But if this is true, why is he even there at all? Why is he following the colossals in his new ribspider mode?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

what else was he gonna do?

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

Eren can communicate to Eldians anywhere with paths. His presence isn't needed to get the titans to do anything.

This doesn't answer why the pure titans were still at it.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

Captain Invictus posted:

But if this is true, why is he even there at all? Why is he following the colossals in his new ribspider mode?

Guess he belongs to the "if you want something done right, you have to do it yourself" school of villains.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

Captain Invictus posted:

Well, the guy did say killing Eren. I think he makes a safe assumption about the orders being in place, but it's also probable that Eren can willfully change the orders if he's alive, and more likely to change some commands based on what he sees in the field.

I think people tend to approach this story with similar expectations of "tunnel vision" sort of plots that's fairly typical of these shonen stories, that is, most of the relevant factors are always either explicitly open, telegraphed and predictable. What I've appreciated about AoT is how much it accounts for people thinking outside the box and having multifaceted reactions to events as they occur.

Frankly, I'd be surprised if Eren had just stuck around Paradis. What would he do, shoot the poo poo with his old peeps until everything dies down? Makes sense to me that he'd go and see things through first hand. Plus who knows, he's probably going to let loose a bit with whatever crazy new powers he has.

It's also possible he's been corrupted by his powers.

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

bees x1000 posted:

Eren can communicate to Eldians anywhere with paths. His presence isn't needed to get the titans to do anything.

Maybe the pure titans made by Zeke are still under his control?

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

bees x1000 posted:

e: sry double post

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

Captain Invictus posted:

What else is he gonna do, sit around in Paradis and call it a day?

Kassad posted:

Guess he belongs to the "if you want something done right, you have to do it yourself" school of villains.

More than that, he's the kind of guy who'd see it as his responsibility to be at the vanguard of and bear witness to the death and destruction he's unleashed.

He has to own it. Averting his eyes or running away and hiding now would be hypocrisy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

I have full confidence the authour can pull off a good ending. The reveal that the power of Royal blood comes from Ymir fully believing she is their slave was top tier writing.