Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Constipated posted:

I want the best gaming rig possible within a 1200$ budget. Give or take 100$, I could be persuaded to drop a little bit more if it would make a big difference.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor ($172.99 @ Best Buy)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($34.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX ATX AM4 Motherboard ($124.99 @ Best Buy)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory ($79.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER 8 GB WINDFORCE OC 3X Video Card ($499.99 @ B&H)
Case: Phanteks Eclipse P400A ATX Mid Tower Case ($80.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair RMx (2018) 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($125.99 @ Best Buy)
Total: $1119.92
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-07-05 10:14 EDT-0400

Whether it's worth it to go to a 2080 Super and pushing your budget to $1,300+ kind of depends on what resolution/frame rate you're going for. You can shave a little off the cost by using the stock 3600 cooler. The 3700X is real good but like people said the money is probably better spent on a higher end GPU unless your budget is IDGAF

Usual disclaimer, it might be better to wait for part availability to settle down from the covid & for the new nvidia gpus to come out later this year before building a system. Especially if your goal is MAXIMUM GAMING.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

So-so Miscreant
Aug 15, 2006

This place is too stinky even for me...
Trying to decide between building my own system or getting a similarly specced prebuilt from bestbuy. I'm aiming for comfortably hitting 1080/60 on most new games while watching videos in chrome, but I'd also like to keep the door open for 1080/144 or 4k down the road. This system seems pretty good bang for the buck, and seems to compare well price wise to one you would have to build yourself:

PCPartPicker Part List

Motherboard: Asus PRIME B550M-A (WI-FI) Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($149.99 @ B&H)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 CL18 Memory ($67.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Crucial P1 500 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($59.99 @ B&H)
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 SUPER 8 GB Video Card ($399.99 @ Best Buy)
Case: NZXT H510 ATX Mid Tower Case ($69.98 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: EVGA 600 W 80+ Certified ATX Power Supply ($59.99 @ Best Buy)
Total: $980.92
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-07-05 12:33 EDT-0400

Are there any red flags I'm not seeing with the Skytech system that would make building my own preferable despite the cost similarity? I'm not against building my own, but I haven't had great experiences with it in the past and when the prices are so similar it makes me want to lean toward just going with the prebuilt system. Thanks for any advice!

MZ
Apr 21, 2004

Excuse me while I kiss the sky.
Replaced the SSD with an NVME as suggested, and RAM with a pair from the motherboard's officially supported list.

How does the rest of this look?

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor (£149.65 @ Amazon UK)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler (£29.99 @ Amazon UK)
Motherboard: MSI B450M MORTAR MAX Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard (£94.98 @ Amazon UK)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory (£74.98 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: Western Digital Blue SN550 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive (£110.99 @ Amazon UK)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1660 SUPER 6 GB OC Video Card (£214.49 @ Amazon UK)
Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini MicroATX Mini Tower Case (£94.99 @ Amazon UK)
Power Supply: Corsair RMx (2018) 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply (£132.59 @ Overclockers.co.uk)
Total: £902.66
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-07-05 19:25 BST+0100

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Your motherboard is great. But with your case I'd really consider a normal sized Meshify C. The mini variant is almost the exact same size and doesn't save you any space. If you have the regular Meshify C that gives you options in the future if you change to an ATX motherboard.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

I did some more research and found the Corsair vengeance LPX Ram is my best chance to fit under a NHD15 in dual fan mode. That leaves me with some questions.
They come in either PC3200 CL16 and PC3600 CL18. From what I’ve heard CL18 isn’t ideal. Could I get 3200 and overclock to 3600? The ryzen infinity weave sweet spot appears to be 3600 CL16.

Also can I maintain that kind of timing and performance for 32gb? The QVL seems to only support 16gb.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Kraftwerk posted:

I did some more research and found the Corsair vengeance LPX Ram is my best chance to fit under a NHD15 in dual fan mode. That leaves me with some questions.
They come in either PC3200 CL16 and PC3600 CL18. From what I’ve heard CL18 isn’t ideal. Could I get 3200 and overclock to 3600?

The differences in performance are tiny.

MZ
Apr 21, 2004

Excuse me while I kiss the sky.

Mu Zeta posted:

Your motherboard is great. But with your case I'd really consider a normal sized Meshify C. The mini variant is almost the exact same size and doesn't save you any space. If you have the regular Meshify C that gives you options in the future if you change to an ATX motherboard.

Good to know, I'd like to go more compact if possible, are there any great smaller micro ATX cases worth looking at?

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Kraftwerk posted:

They come in either PC3200 CL16 and PC3600 CL18. From what I’ve heard CL18 isn’t ideal. Could I get 3200 and overclock to 3600? The ryzen infinity weave sweet spot appears to be 3600 CL16.

You probably can't overclock 3200 CL16 to 3600 CL16 -- the latency ability of the ram in absolute time is a quality of the ram itself. 3200 CL16 and 3600 CL18 have the same latency value.

3600 CL18 is fine, you will never notice any difference.

Kraftwerk posted:

Also can I maintain that kind of timing and performance for 32gb? The QVL seems to only support 16gb.

32gb on 2 sticks will probably work. 4 sticks is generally when you need to downclock. But there have been goons ITT who had trouble with corsair memory recently.

MZ posted:

Good to know, I'd like to go more compact if possible, are there any great smaller micro ATX cases worth looking at?

There's the Cooler Master Q300L which is about as compact as you can get on MATX. But it's a step down in fit and finish than the fractal.

Another option is the silverstone PS15, which is small enough that you need to look at PSU length. I think the RMX will fit, but switching to a seasonic focus plus (which are shorter) might make building easier.

But honestly I think there's nothing wrong with getting a Mini C. It's 1.5" shorter than the regular C, and the normal C is already quite compact for an ATX case. (That's what the C stands for.) IMO there's nothing wrong with being "locked in" to MATX mobos -- nobody makes high end mobos in the MATX form factor anymore, but if you know you're never going to buy high-end mobos in the first place that's no loss.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

So-so Miscreant posted:

Trying to decide between building my own system or getting a similarly specced prebuilt from bestbuy. I'm aiming for comfortably hitting 1080/60 on most new games while watching videos in chrome, but I'd also like to keep the door open for 1080/144 or 4k down the road. This system seems pretty good bang for the buck, and seems to compare well price wise to one you would have to build yourself:

PCPartPicker Part List

Motherboard: Asus PRIME B550M-A (WI-FI) Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($149.99 @ B&H)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 CL18 Memory ($67.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Crucial P1 500 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($59.99 @ B&H)
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 SUPER 8 GB Video Card ($399.99 @ Best Buy)
Case: NZXT H510 ATX Mid Tower Case ($69.98 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: EVGA 600 W 80+ Certified ATX Power Supply ($59.99 @ Best Buy)
Total: $980.92
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-07-05 12:33 EDT-0400

Are there any red flags I'm not seeing with the Skytech system that would make building my own preferable despite the cost similarity? I'm not against building my own, but I haven't had great experiences with it in the past and when the prices are so similar it makes me want to lean toward just going with the prebuilt system. Thanks for any advice!

I'm not sure how good the airflow really is in that case what with the side intakes around the closed front, though one of the customer reviews claim it's good. I don't see anything else obvious about it.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Kinda working from this as a baseline, tell me how I can tweak it? (I live a couple hours away from Microcenter, so in-store is not a realistic option).

The specced system below is right around my budget, but I'd like to cut costs on it a little and spend some more on monitors, currently have 2x 21" old 1080 cheap displays that are sub par.

Computer will be used for a few mid level titles, later VR purchase for flightsims (IL2 mostly) but I don't really game with anything right now that needs 4k super high end stuff so this seems like probably overkill already. I don't have any strong feelings about having the best and baddest displays nor do I care about 4k particularly. I have around 1k-1.5k to spend on the system and monitors.

I have a 1tb SATA SSD and a 3TB 7200 RPM HDD to add to the system. I'd like to see where I can flex this down in price a little bit (maybe on the video card? also I saw a few other 5-600W corsair PSUs that were $40 less).

I've built lots of systems in the past, but I really don't have a great understanding of what the video card scene looks like right now, nor what is needed for specific monitor types or VR. For example if I wasn't gonna do a 4k setup do I need this specific vid card or could I drop to something a bit cheaper? Recommendations on monitors also appreciated, but I can go to the monitor thread for that once I dial in this a bit better. Thanks for the help!

PCPartPicker Part List

Motherboard: *MSI X570-A PRO ATX AM4 Motherboard ($164.99 @ B&H)
Memory: *G.Skill Ripjaws V 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory ($79.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: *Crucial P1 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($104.99 @ B&H)
Video Card: *Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER 8 GB WINDFORCE OC 3X Video Card ($499.99 @ B&H)
Case: Phanteks Eclipse P300A Mesh ATX Mid Tower Case ($99.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: *ADATA XPG CORE Reactor 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($140.03 @ Amazon)
Total: $1262.97
*Lowest price parts chosen from parametric criteria
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-07-05 19:36 EDT-0400

E: Also, this will need to be on wifi, what's the most effective way to run that on this kind of setup?
e: Is the 570 mobo even necessary? I don't intend to overclock nor run a ton of usb3 peripherals.

That Works fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Jul 6, 2020

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
Why are people suggesting NVMe stuff for all workflows?

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

tuyop posted:

Not sure I understand the question, it's faster than SATA and the markup is just like 20 bucks now?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

sean10mm posted:

Not sure I understand the question, it's faster than SATA and the markup is just like 20 bucks now?

I thought it was only faster than SATA for large file transfers and you weren’t likely to see much performance unless your workflow involved huge files all the time.

But looking at the price differences, it’s only like $40CAD at the most so I see what you’re saying.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

tuyop posted:

I thought it was only faster than SATA for large file transfers and you weren’t likely to see much performance unless your workflow involved huge files all the time.

But looking at the price differences, it’s only like $40CAD at the most so I see what you’re saying.

Yeah, consumer tasks aren't likely to see a benefit, but for the money why not. They were even at parity a while back.

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost
Hey folks, I normally just buy computers from Dell but figured I'd take a look at building one. I have no idea what I'm doing.

What country are you in? USA (Wisconsin)
What are you using the system for? Gaming, streaming video, gaming while streaming video
What's your budget? Was looking at up to $2000, but cost isn't a huge concern.
How fancy do you want your graphics, from “it runs” to “Ultra preset as fast as possible”? 60 fps, not particularly concerned about having the highest settings possible. My monitor is about a decade old and needs to be replaced, but not immediately.

PCPartPicker Part List

Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory ($116.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda Compute 2 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($54.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER 8 GB Video Card ($699.99 @ Best Buy)
Case: Fractal Design Meshify C ATX Mid Tower Case ($99.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair Gaming 700 W 80+ Certified ATX Power Supply ($99.99 @ Amazon)
Wired Network Adapter: Intel EXPI9301CTBLK PCIe x1 1000 Mbit/s Network Adapter ($32.36 @ Amazon)
Total: $1402.28
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-07-05 18:43 EDT-0400

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

That's a monster of a graphics card for only wanting 60fps at modest settings.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Seyser Koze posted:

Hey folks, I normally just buy computers from Dell but figured I'd take a look at building one. I have no idea what I'm doing.

What country are you in? USA (Wisconsin)
What are you using the system for? Gaming, streaming video, gaming while streaming video
What's your budget? Was looking at up to $2000, but cost isn't a huge concern.
How fancy do you want your graphics, from “it runs” to “Ultra preset as fast as possible”? 60 fps, not particularly concerned about having the highest settings possible. My monitor is about a decade old and needs to be replaced, but not immediately.

PCPartPicker Part List

Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory ($116.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda Compute 2 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($54.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER 8 GB Video Card ($699.99 @ Best Buy)
Case: Fractal Design Meshify C ATX Mid Tower Case ($99.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair Gaming 700 W 80+ Certified ATX Power Supply ($99.99 @ Amazon)
Wired Network Adapter: Intel EXPI9301CTBLK PCIe x1 1000 Mbit/s Network Adapter ($32.36 @ Amazon)
Total: $1402.28
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-07-05 18:43 EDT-0400

For God's sake drop that hard drive for an SSD.

And the mobo has a network adapter.

E: phoneposting but will give more detail later if nobody else does it first.

sean10mm fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Jul 6, 2020

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost

Enigma posted:

That's a monster of a graphics card for only wanting 60fps at modest settings.

I think my description was overly modest, then. For graphics I'd like to get something good now so that it's a while before I feel the need to upgrade again (my previous PC for gaming is from 2014).

sean10mm posted:

For God's sake drop that hard drive for an SSD.

And the mobo has a network adapter.

E: phoneposting but will give more detail later if nobody else does it first.

Whoops! I'd meant to pick an SSD and must have misclicked. I didn't realize that about the motherboard.

I guess related to that, the OP says sound cards aren't necessary. Are speakers mostly USB now?

EDIT: Okay, I took the big scary step of googling "do i need a sound card for gaming" and got my answer there.

Seyser Koze fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Jul 6, 2020

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

That Works posted:

I have a 1tb SATA SSD and a 3TB 7200 RPM HDD to add to the system. I'd like to see where I can flex this down in price a little bit (maybe on the video card? also I saw a few other 5-600W corsair PSUs that were $40 less).

I've built lots of systems in the past, but I really don't have a great understanding of what the video card scene looks like right now, nor what is needed for specific monitor types or VR. For example if I wasn't gonna do a 4k setup do I need this specific vid card or could I drop to something a bit cheaper?

If you're not doing 4k a 2060 Super or 5700 will be totally adequate.

As for the video card scene, nvidia is set to introduce their new 3000 series of GPUs sometime later in the year, and AMD is also going to have a new high-end card with raytracing (there's less hard details about this, but it'll be the same tech as the new consoles). So right now is not particularly the best time to spend half a G on a video card.

As for the rest:

That Works posted:

Storage: *Crucial P1 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($104.99 @ B&H) er.com/product/crqBD3/phanteks-eclipse-p300a-mesh-atx-mid-tower-case-ph-ec300atg_bk01]Phanteks Eclipse P300A Mesh ATX Mid Tower Case[/url] ($99.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: *ADATA XPG CORE Reactor 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($140.03 @ Amazon)
I would reccomend a WD SN550 drive instead, as the crucial P1 is a QLC drive which has some downsides.

And the PSU you should definitely pick something else, they are supply hosed so PCpartspicker is giving you something random that's in stock.

Right now the PSU I'd buy on newegg that is in stock is this Corsair TXM 550, for $100. But stock changes by the hour so if you're not ready to order anything right this instant, wait until tuesday or weds and check back. The weekends are when everything gets cleaned out.

tuyop posted:

Most people ITT are gaming, and there is now a possibility that games will take advantage of NVMe speed in the next few years. For anyone in the $1k+ budget zone it's a low enough added cost to be doable.

Klyith fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Jul 6, 2020

eatenmyeyes
Mar 29, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Requesting absolute cheapest off the shelf box for playing Destiny 2 with all presently available DLC. Thank you in advance for your time and attention.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

eatenmyeyes posted:

Requesting absolute cheapest off the shelf box for playing Destiny 2 with all presently available DLC. Thank you in advance for your time and attention.

At what resolution/quality settings?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Klyith posted:

If you're not doing 4k a 2060 Super or 5700 will be totally adequate.

As for the video card scene, nvidia is set to introduce their new 3000 series of GPUs sometime later in the year, and AMD is also going to have a new high-end card with raytracing (there's less hard details about this, but it'll be the same tech as the new consoles). So right now is not particularly the best time to spend half a G on a video card.

As for the rest:

I would reccomend a WD SN550 drive instead, as the crucial P1 is a QLC drive which has some downsides.

And the PSU you should definitely pick something else, they are supply hosed so PCpartspicker is giving you something random that's in stock.

Right now the PSU I'd buy on newegg that is in stock is this Corsair TXM 550, for $100. But stock changes by the hour so if you're not ready to order anything right this instant, wait until tuesday or weds and check back. The weekends are when everything gets cleaned out.

Most people ITT are gaming, and there is now a possibility that games will take advantage of NVMe speed in the next few years. For anyone in the $1k+ budget zone it's a low enough added cost to be doable.

Thanks very much.

I think I am looking for about this:

PCPartPicker Part List

Motherboard: Gigabyte B450 AORUS PRO WIFI (rev. 1.0) ATX AM4 Motherboard ($129.99 @ Best Buy)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory ($117.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Blue SN550 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($124.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: MSI GeForce RTX 2060 SUPER 8 GB VENTUS GP OC Video Card ($379.99 @ Newegg)
Case: be quiet! Pure Base 500 ATX Mid Tower Case ($79.90 @ B&H)
Power Supply: Corsair TXM Gold 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply ($99.99 @ Corsair)
Total: $1105.84
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-07-06 08:22 EDT-0400

Questions there are potential motherboard replacements since stock can be an issue. I am fine with waiting a couple weeks, but would like to build it before the fall at least.

Also, for the video card, I was looking at 2060 Supers vs 5700, I don't need the system to be dead quiet, but quieter would be better and I would consider paying a little more if it helps that. The reviews for the card I chose were mostly agreeing how quiet it was, but a few of them talking about noise being a problem :shrug:

Any advice on the mobo / loud video card end(s)?

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

That Works posted:

Questions there are potential motherboard replacements since stock can be an issue. I am fine with waiting a couple weeks, but would like to build it before the fall at least.

Also, for the video card, I was looking at 2060 Supers vs 5700, I don't need the system to be dead quiet, but quieter would be better and I would consider paying a little more if it helps that. The reviews for the card I chose were mostly agreeing how quiet it was, but a few of them talking about noise being a problem :shrug:

Any advice on the mobo / loud video card end(s)?

If you need wifi that Gigabyte one that you've picked is the best low cost mobo. Just remember that you can add a wifi pcie card for about $30, so if the non-wifi version is in stock you can always do it that way. For B450 mobos the best choices are MSIs (except the Pro-M2) and Gigabyte Aorus.

As for video card & noise, I think all 2060s are pretty good on that front as it's not a high wattage chip. For 5700s there are a couple duds with bad coolers, the best choices are Power Color or Sapphire. OTOH the worst-reviewed card, the XFX Thicc, got revisions and is now substantially better than the reviews. Still not as good as the best two but they're often sold pretty cheap because of the initial bad rep.

It looks like right now the 5700 XTs and 2060 Supers are being sold for about the same prices. The XT has way better performance -- it's competitive with a 2070 super -- but have higher power use so generally louder, and the driver situation has been up and down.

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:
:stroop: :gaysper: :stroop:
:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:

That Works posted:

Not exactly what you're asking about, but if this is the case, I'd pick up an aftermarket CPU cooler. I'm using the Wraith Prism that came with my 3700X and it's definitely noisy under load.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Differences in power draw between the two are nominal - its a 10w tdp difference and lower in testing - but the ongoing driver issues are a real killer.

E: was comparing to the wrong card, ignore.

Fantastic Foreskin fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Jul 6, 2020

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

eatenmyeyes posted:

Destiny runs on anything with a video card. I have a i5-4570 (launched in 2013) based system with a radeon 7900 and the game runs at 60@1080p just fine.

4k probably isn't an option without a bit of part juggling but if HD is all you need, anything on the market right now will work.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Stroop There It Is posted:

Not exactly what you're asking about, but if this is the case, I'd pick up an aftermarket CPU cooler. I'm using the Wraith Prism that came with my 3700X and it's definitely noisy under load.

Oh yes, definitely this. Scythe Mugen 5 B, Noctua U14S are two very good options.

Some Goon posted:

Differences in power draw between the two are nominal - its a 10w tdp difference and lower in testing - but the ongoing driver issues are a real killer.

Huh, had it in my head that the 2060 was lower power than it is.

As for 5700 drivers, all I can say about my own experience is that Windows 10 generated way more pain for me in 2018 than the 5700 did in 2019. I have had problems, but they've generally been resolvable (have problems, DDU, go back to driver version that was good). IMO it's a choice, if occasional hassle is worth $100 in free performance.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Whoops, I was looking at the 2070 Super. My bad.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Klyith posted:

If you need wifi that Gigabyte one that you've picked is the best low cost mobo. Just remember that you can add a wifi pcie card for about $30, so if the non-wifi version is in stock you can always do it that way. For B450 mobos the best choices are MSIs (except the Pro-M2) and Gigabyte Aorus.

As for video card & noise, I think all 2060s are pretty good on that front as it's not a high wattage chip. For 5700s there are a couple duds with bad coolers, the best choices are Power Color or Sapphire. OTOH the worst-reviewed card, the XFX Thicc, got revisions and is now substantially better than the reviews. Still not as good as the best two but they're often sold pretty cheap because of the initial bad rep.

It looks like right now the 5700 XTs and 2060 Supers are being sold for about the same prices. The XT has way better performance -- it's competitive with a 2070 super -- but have higher power use so generally louder, and the driver situation has been up and down.

Thanks! Looking at the 5700FX this was the same cost as the 2060 I was looking at. Reviews on Amazon are for the dual fan model, this is a seemingly newer triple fan.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B087J3KM2X?tag=pcpapi-20&linkCode=ogi&th=1

Any word on these? Probably gonna go with this one unless I hear it's a dud somehow.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
This might not be the thread for it, but it's something I just learned literally yesterday.

I got a 1080p / 144mhz monitor like 5 years ago. Whenever I did vsync it would lock at 60 FPS and I could never figure it out. I was told it was because I was using HDMI and not Display port, so I changed cables and STILL I could never get it to lock at 144 FPS.

I recently watched a YouTube video that mentioned having to manually set it in the display adapter menu, and sure as loving poo poo, that had been my issue.

So yeah, I'm dumb!

SopWATh
Jun 1, 2000

SalTheBard posted:

This might not be the thread for it, but it's something I just learned literally yesterday.

I got a 1080p / 144mhz monitor like 5 years ago. Whenever I did vsync it would lock at 60 FPS and I could never figure it out. I was told it was because I was using HDMI and not Display port, so I changed cables and STILL I could never get it to lock at 144 FPS.

I recently watched a YouTube video that mentioned having to manually set it in the display adapter menu, and sure as loving poo poo, that had been my issue.

So yeah, I'm dumb!

Can you tell a difference? Is it amazing or almost exactly the same?

threeagainstfour
Jun 27, 2005

Hi thread, I am preparing to upgrade my home machine. I am aiming to game at 1440P and would like to be able to hit a stable 60fps with modern games.

I've already purchased a 2070 RTX Super and am hoping I can save some money by bringing some parts from my old build into the new build. If it's a terrible idea to try to bring these parts over I have the money in my budget to replace them, but wanted to salvage the parts if possible.

My questions are

1. Does anyone see an issue with salvaging my ram from my current build
2. Has anyone had any experience with moving their SSD from an old system and into a new one without doing a clean install of Windows? I'd like to avoid having to download and reinstall all of my applications and games if possible.

Parts I would like to salvage from my old build

Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL15 Memory ($69.98 @ Amazon)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($137.84 @ B&H)

Parts I have either purchased already (The 2070) or am considering for the final build.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor ($173.99 @ Walmart)
Motherboard: MSI MPG B550 GAMING PLUS ATX AM4 Motherboard ($153.98 @ Newegg)
Video Card: MSI GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER 8 GB VENTUS OC Video Card (already purchased)
Case: NZXT H510 ATX Mid Tower Case ($69.99 @ Best Buy)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA G3 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($115.97 @ Newegg)

threeagainstfour fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Jul 7, 2020

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

That Works posted:

Thanks! Looking at the 5700FX this was the same cost as the 2060 I was looking at. Reviews on Amazon are for the dual fan model, this is a seemingly newer triple fan.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B087J3KM2X?tag=pcpapi-20&linkCode=ogi&th=1

Any word on these? Probably gonna go with this one unless I hear it's a dud somehow.

There's no major site reviews for it because that model launched in march, long after 5700 reviews were most relevant. Looking around reddit, it seems fine. Having 3 fans isn't as amazing as it seems at first because it's also a thinner profile, so the fin stack isn't as thick. In practice that means it's more like the Sapphire Pulse (2 fans, $400) than the Nitro+ (3 fans, $470).

I think the tl;dr is that if you're gonna plug it in and run it stock it'll be fine, but it's more like a save $20 deal.

threeagainstfour posted:

1. Does anyone see an issue with salvaging my ram from my current build
2. Has anyone had any experience with moving their SSD from an old system and into a new one without doing a clean install of Windows? I'd like to avoid having to download and reinstall all of my applications and games if possible.

Ram will work, it's on the mobo QVL. Ryzen likes higher clockspeed ram but you could probably manually OC it to 3200 by lowering timings. Depending on which version of that memory you have (corsair is annoying about this) it might OC even better.

Moving a win10 install to a new PC generally works fine these days, even from intel to AMD.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

Klyith posted:

Ram will work, it's on the mobo QVL. Ryzen likes higher clockspeed ram but you could probably manually OC it to 3200 by lowering timings. Depending on which version of that memory you have (corsair is annoying about this) it might OC even better.

Moving a win10 install to a new PC generally works fine these days, even from intel to AMD.

OC'ing RAM on Ryzen can be a real headache, I have tried. 3000 CL 15 is fine. OCing to 3200 is going to net gains well below 5% and is unlikely to be noticeable.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
I need a little guidance.

I have a 4+ year old desktop. I think one of the RAM sticks is corrupted. Current set up is a GSKILL DDR4-3000 8GB x 2 sticks.

Is there any issue with a simple upgrade to this DDR4-3200 16GB x 2 (assuming my motherboard handles 32GB)? Best Buy has it in stock and I can pick up from store tomorrow.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/corsair-vengeance-lpx-32gb-2pk-x-16gb-3-2-ghz-ddr4-dram-desktop-memory-kit-black/4895530.p?skuId=4895530

*Disregard. I purchased it and it works fine.

Hughmoris fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Jul 7, 2020

threeagainstfour
Jun 27, 2005

Thanks for the feedback so far guys, much appreciated.

I am thinking of swapping out the WiFi enabled MB I had for this one, which has everything I need and no WiFi. I have ethernet in my office so I don't actually need onboard WiFi

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/yKVG3C/msi-mpg-b550-gaming-plus-atx-am4-motherboard-mpg-b550-gaming-plus

PC Part Picker did not call out any compatibility issues when I added it to my build and the RAM I have now looks to be supported based on the compatibility list Klyith shared. Am I missing anything super obvious here that would make grabbing that board a bad idea?

I'm not looking to do any over clocking, so this board looks to be pretty solid at first glance.

threeagainstfour fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Jul 7, 2020

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

Klyith posted:

There's no major site reviews for it because that model launched in march, long after 5700 reviews were most relevant. Looking around reddit, it seems fine. Having 3 fans isn't as amazing as it seems at first because it's also a thinner profile, so the fin stack isn't as thick. In practice that means it's more like the Sapphire Pulse (2 fans, $400) than the Nitro+ (3 fans, $470).

I think the tl;dr is that if you're gonna plug it in and run it stock it'll be fine, but it's more like a save $20 deal.

Does RAM degrade over time? I just realized I have a CMK16GX4M2B3200C16 that's the 3200MHZ 8x2 CL16 RAM and I need to know if I'll have issues with it bottlenecking my gaming performance if I use a 3900X or a 4000 series. I'm more than happy to migrate this thing over to my new system.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

SopWATh posted:

I don't (but also I never really noticed things like tearing to begin with). It was more an annoyance of "Is this monitor really 144mhz?!"

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Kraftwerk posted:

Does RAM degrade over time? I just realized I have a CMK16GX4M2B3200C16 that's the 3200MHZ 8x2 CL16 RAM and I need to know if I'll have issues with it bottlenecking my gaming performance if I use a 3900X or a 4000 series. I'm more than happy to migrate this thing over to my new system.

No and no. The performance differences with higher speed ram on ryzen are measurable, but in the low single-digit percent change once you get to 3000 and higher.

MikeC posted:

OC'ing RAM on Ryzen can be a real headache, I have tried. 3000 CL 15 is fine. OCing to 3200 is going to net gains well below 5% and is unlikely to be noticeable.

Yeah, manually OCing ram on all platforms is a pain and ryzen is moreso. It's more a thing you do because you want to fiddle around with stuff and learn about the numbers than real performance gain. (Which somewhat describes all OCing these days, though at least setting a higher PBO target is a 30 second job rather than hours of reboots and testing.)

However, I have some 3000-CL15 myself, which I bought rather than 3200 because it was back when ram was way higher in price. I've got mine running at 3200-CL16 fully stable, I'm also on Zen 1 which is the worst about this stuff. I spend a day doing it because it couldn't run the 3000 with the odd CL, and is was much less about results than the satisfaction of making it work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

SopWATh posted:

I don't notice 144hz being different if I start with it. If it gets turned off and I don't notice, it's very apparent when it is turned back on. Even on things like windows desktop mouse movement smoothness. It's weird.