Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

If anyone, like me got bored with the Doom 2016 campaign: Try playing it on Ultra-Violence. I am having a ton more fun when every combat is dangerous. No idea if this holds for Eternal!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Eternal on Hurt Me Plenty is about equal to 2016 Ultra-Violence.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
I'm fairly certain I played on Doom 2016 on UV and it didn't feel like it had much impact on my impression of the game (if anything, nudging it more towards the negative due to a few specific encounters). But I'm one of the contrarians who thought it was okay at best so :shrug:

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

ultrafilter posted:

Are the other Call of Juarez games worth picking up? It's $6 for Gunslinger and about $10 for the bundle with all three so I'm thinking about it.

Gunslinger is still good and Bound in Blood is still decent for a last gen shooter. BiB had a nice cover system too. You sometimes can choose between the brothers and I suggest going with the crazy ones who dual wields, it’s more fun.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I'm playing Dirt 2.0 (thanks Sininu!!) and thoroughly enjoying it so far. I always get frustrated when I crash and burn and gently caress up horribly in these rally games but it is real satisfying to pull off a clean run and admire it through the replay.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003
First, there was theHunter and now I continue my descent into decrepitude with Ultimate Fishing Simulator. I know nothing about fishing.

https://webmshare.com/play/ojxXE

... but it has internet radio and I played like two hours so they must be doing something right :v:
It's not the most complex I ever played but there's a lot of gear you can buy and use, even if in truth it seems you only need to get the bait and hook size right for fish to bite all day long. There's also ice fishing, which makes fish really energetic (I wonder if that's a real thing), you can place static rods, there's fly rods and spinning rods and trolling rods and... stuff.

It's fun enough! It has a fair amount of maps, although they are all really small, graphics look nice and you don't need your ears at all so it's an extremely good podcast game. Unfortunately, it's another one of those games that don't let you buy the bundle with all DLC if you buy the base version so you are punished for wanting to try it first :(

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

exquisite tea posted:

I have so many free Ubisoft games it's kind of silly. Like I now own most of the Assassin's Creed franchise despite only ever paying money for two of them. Well throw WD2 on the pile.
I had Black Flag on my Steam wishlist for the longest time until one day I logged into uPlay and noticed that apparently have 2, 3, and 4 on my account. Somehow.

strategery
Apr 21, 2004
I come to you baring a gift. Its in my diper and its not a toaster.
So opinion time. This one is a weird mix: You can choose one.

- Deep Rock Galactic
- The Hunt Showdown

- Total War Warhammer 2 (I have 1)
- Doom Eternal

- Rimworld
- Factorio
- Satisafactory

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

strategery posted:

- Deep Rock Galactic
- The Hunt Showdown

- Doom Eternal

- Rimworld
- Factorio
- Satisafactory

Out of that lot, I have played:

- Deep Rock Galactic (solo)
- Total Warhammer 1
- Factorio
- Rimworld.

hours: like 15 minutes for Deep Rock, an hour for Total Warhammer, 10 for Factorio (possibly more) and then 300 for Rimworld.

Unless you are specifically the audience for Factorio, I think Rimworld is more likely to suck you in for longer and get you better value. Between the vanilla game (which is VERY good) and the infinite possibilities of modding, it's just the best base for building colonies and see how their stories play out. (Unless, of course, that you're already into Dwarf Fortress.)

I vote Rimworld.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003

strategery posted:

- Deep Rock Galactic
- The Hunt Showdown

- Doom Eternal

- Rimworld
- Factorio
- Satisafactory

How much do you like Warhammer 1 on a scale of 1 to 10? If 8 or more, get 2. Otherwise, I'd get Rimworld unless you are the kind of person that really, really likes conveyor belts in which case Factorio.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
It's really between Rimworld and Factorio. It depends on if you're more into Dwarf Fortress style storytelling games or becoming addicted to heroin. Factorio is a legitimate contender for best game ever made. The developers are absolutely obsessive and it shows, everything about the game is as close to perfect as possible.

threelemmings
Dec 4, 2007
A jellyfish!
I wouldn't sleep on Deep Rock Galactic if you have friends to play with, I've got 100 hours in it already after a little under 2 months of play. Great coop shooter and the traversal mechanics are really fun and interesting.

That aside, Factorio, if it all looks like it will appeal to you. I think it's better than Rimworld but it is also much more of a niche genre.

Otherwise, Rimworld.

Lord Of Texas
Dec 26, 2006

K8.0 posted:

It's really between Rimworld and Factorio. It depends on if you're more into Dwarf Fortress style storytelling games or becoming addicted to heroin. Factorio is a legitimate contender for best game ever made. The developers are absolutely obsessive and it shows, everything about the game is as close to perfect as possible.

I've enjoyed 50+ hours of both Satisfactory and Factorio, and I would pick Satisfactory if you put a gun to my head. Factorio has much more raw content, but I don't know if the value brought by 3d to the genre can be understated.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

isn't hunt: showdown dead?

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Grapplejack posted:

isn't hunt: showdown dead?

As dead as a MP game with a daily top player count of 13k can be dead.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

ZearothK posted:

As dead as a MP game with a daily top player count of 13k can be dead.

I must be thinking of another game with a similar name.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Lord Of Texas posted:

I've enjoyed 50+ hours of both Satisfactory and Factorio, and I would pick Satisfactory if you put a gun to my head. Factorio has much more raw content, but I don't know if the value brought by 3d to the genre can be understated.

I'm the opposite way and I haven't even seen half the content in Factorio, even though I've spent many many hours on it. The more clinical isometric perspective and point and click interface is a lot more compelling to me than Infinifactory's first person setup. I love how fast it is to build stuff (or dismantle and rebuild stuff) and it's easier for me to visualize the efficiency of my setup in the top-down view

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003
Well, I wanted to buy lots of cheaper games this sale. Spent the last few days budgeting and all. And then a friend spent like 100 bucks buying games I already owned so we could play co-op, would have been pretty rude of me not buying the couple games they wanted to play and I didn't own.

So now I can only get a couple of things. Let me know if there are any absolute must-haves from this list, goons. Otherwise, I'll probably go by the cheapest.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

Det_no posted:

So now I can only get a couple of things. Let me know if there are any absolute must-haves from this list, goons. Otherwise, I'll probably go by the cheapest.

Invisible Inc. is still one of the best games in the genre.

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

Hwurmp posted:

Eternal on Hurt Me Plenty is about equal to 2016 Ultra-Violence.

That's odd because I found Eternal to be a bit easier. I went through it on Ultra-Violence and didn't actually die at any point.

goferchan posted:

I'm the opposite way and I haven't even seen half the content in Factorio, even though I've spent many many hours on it. The more clinical isometric perspective and point and click interface is a lot more compelling to me than Infinifactory's first person setup. I love how fast it is to build stuff (or dismantle and rebuild stuff) and it's easier for me to visualize the efficiency of my setup in the top-down view

Yeah, Satisfactory is definitely clunkier to play, not because of any particular failings of the game but just because that's the nature of being in first person surrounded by all the buildings you've made. Also the way it does conveyor belts can get annoying, because it tries to procedurally create a nice curve from the start point to the end, but it'll fail if there's anything obstructing it, so you'll sometimes have to keep nudging buildings around or building additional supports for the belt to snap to before it'll do what you want.

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

Wizard Styles posted:

Invisible Inc. is still one of the best games in the genre.

If anyone's on the fence about Invisible Inc. you should let Austin Walker tell you why it's good:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJr8yI-q8AA

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
So I'm playing though Yakuza 2 Kiwami.

I just finished Chapter 5 and I unlocked "Goro Majima Saga".

Is this like Yakuza 0 where half the game is Kiryu while the other half is Majima?

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Det_no posted:

Well, I wanted to buy lots of cheaper games this sale. Spent the last few days budgeting and all. And then a friend spent like 100 bucks buying games I already owned so we could play co-op, would have been pretty rude of me not buying the couple games they wanted to play and I didn't own.

If you like Homeworld-style atmospheric RTSes, Deserts of Kharak is top-notch, same for Commandos-style tactical stealth and Shadow Tactics. Heat Signature should also be at the top of the list if you like that sort of game.

Heartbeat is decently cute but the lead dev and her girlfriend are violently transphobic, which put a damper on my enjoyment of the fun, gay romp. PVZ is fun, but if you have an IOS or Android tablet PVZ 2 is free and the microtransactions are mostly ignorable.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

punk rebel ecks posted:

So I'm playing though Yakuza 2 Kiwami.

I just finished Chapter 5 and I unlocked "Goro Majima Saga".

Is this like Yakuza 0 where half the game is Kiryu while the other half is Majima?

Sadly, no. There are only three short chapters where you get to play as Majima. It does tie up some threads from his plot in 0 though, so it's definitely worth doing.

Iverron
May 13, 2012

strategery posted:

- Deep Rock Galactic
- The Hunt Showdown

- Doom Eternal

- Rimworld
- Factorio
- Satisafactory

I spent a few hours with DRG and felt like I was missing too much by playing solo.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003
Wow. Invisible Inc. is five years old. Time flies.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Tenochtitlan, looking east.

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Did you buy Opus Magnum yet? I've got a key for it if not.

That would be great, I'd appreciate it. This is me, I should be online later today.

John Murdoch posted:

Oof, I feel ya. That's more or less my default mood 90% of the time but this summer it's had the unpleasantness of an eye condition acting up to really take any last lingering wind out of my sails. My gaming time has been like 80% casual puzzle games to keep from going crazy and 20% getting mad at Binding of Isaac.

And now I'm on the cusp of reinstalling and replaying Arkham Asylum cuz even though I've played all of those games a ton they're a comfortable, familiar favorite rather than needing to put brain effort into something like, say, Prey. A game I absolutely want to play. Y'know. Someday. Eventually. When the time is right. :smith:

Prey is another one of those for me too, yeah. It's frustrating. I'm also mostly only capable of playing games I've already sunk a lot of time into (Hades is the one right now) because it means I don't have to apply any effort to learn a new game (whether it's mechanically, or simply getting to know new characters or a new world, etc.). I'm hardly new to depression but I only recently read about avolition as a condition, and it so perfectly describes mine - the desire and motivation are there, but the ability is missing to translate them into action. There's some kind of missing link. Every now and then that spark does appear, and I feel right now I could have it for Opus Magnum even though I know it will be demanding.

Det_no posted:

I don't have any recommendations but if I recall correctly the devs of Heartbeat are transphobic assholes, sadly. (edit: yeah what Stickman said.) I bought Bastard Bonds last year but haven't played it yet so I can't actually vouch for it, it looks great though.

Ms. Chanandler Bong
Dec 20, 2008

strategery posted:

- Deep Rock Galactic
- The Hunt Showdown

- Doom Eternal

- Rimworld
- Factorio
- Satisafactory

Factorio for sure, it's a masterpiece.

Spoke Lee
Dec 31, 2004

chairizard lol
Any good games come out aping Slay The Spire? Also how and Stellar Tactics and I Am Not A Monster?

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

Begemot posted:

Sadly, no. There are only three short chapters where you get to play as Majima. It does tie up some threads from his plot in 0 though, so it's definitely worth doing.

I see. Thank you.

Man, Yakuza 2 Kiwami is MUCH better than the first one.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Is Command and Conquer Remastered worth getting even if you do not have any nostalgia for the games?

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Depends what you want out of it. It's still good fun in multiplayer, especially if you have some friends to play with.

If you are used to modern rts games there are a few caveats:
-The pathfinding is terrible
-Most of the single-player campaign is focused on puzzle-solving. Lots of micro and nursing units through missions. You won't need to think about build order or resource management much because many missions don't give you a base, or perhaps only halfway through can you build units.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003
Have you ever wanted to watch a cat granny play a game about mushroom hunting while her computer is on fire? Well neither did I but this was the latest video about Morels: The Hunt that had review in the title.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3-3r3l50UDc

I find the quaintness of it all to be quite charming.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Late to the party but:

Stickman posted:

If you like Homeworld-style atmospheric RTSes, Deserts of Kharak is top-notch, same for Commandos-style tactical stealth and Shadow Tactics. Heat Signature should also be at the top of the list if you like that sort of game.

I will never not rep this game every chance I get. There is a demo too so if you are interested give that a try.

Also, this is a bit of an aside since it is not on sale, but Desperados 3 is by the same devs, and is basically built on the same systems, and is also extremely good. I think I like it better than Shadow Tactics even.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003
Shadow Tactics is 25 long, according to How Long To Beat. Would you guys say that's accurate?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Unlucky7 posted:

Is Command and Conquer Remastered worth getting even if you do not have any nostalgia for the games?
I wouldn't say so, honestly. The original C&C and Red Alert games made a few pretty dubious gameplay decisions, such as having a lot of levels where you have limited troops and no base, which often leaves you repeatedly banging your head against the problem until you finally manage to have everything go just just right and can play something more fun again.

Walh Hara
May 11, 2012

Det_no posted:

Shadow Tactics is 25 long, according to How Long To Beat. Would you guys say that's accurate?

25 hours to complete all the missions once seems fair. That said, I have 43 hours played on it and still didn't complete all the challenges.

It's a really good game and Desperados III is even better (but also more expensive, so I can certainly understand trying shadow tactics first).

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
I am currently five or six missions into Desperados 3, have been playing for about five hours, and can confirm that it is a very good game. The levels are colorful, well-modelled, and remind me very much of the way Desperados 1 looked. It has fun mechanics, such as open city levels full of civilians where you can just walk around and only certain areas are forbidden.

It also has a lot of room for creative mission solving. One particular example I can think of involved taking down a target who was standing in the open on a construction site with walls and walls of hostiles protecting every angle - possible to get to, but something that would take a while. I had previously climbed a cliff to get to into a different and adjacent hostile zone. On the way back, I thought to myself "wait, isn't that pretty much a clear line to the guy?" and decided to just throw my final knife at him to see if I can stick him with it.

I could. Mission solved. I never even had to set foot into that final area. They still have my knife, but who cares when it's the final target?

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003

Walh Hara posted:

25 hours to complete all the missions once seems fair. That said, I have 43 hours played on it and still didn't complete all the challenges.

It's a really good game and Desperados III is even better (but also more expensive, so I can certainly understand trying shadow tactics first).

Sadly, Desperados doesn't have good regional pricing either so I could buy like 16 copies of Shadow Tactics for the same amount. It'll have to wait.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Just chiming in, I beat Shadow Tactics last week and moved right on to Desperados 3 and yea, these games are a real pleasure.

I have 27 hours logged on ST, according to Steam.

A lot of the missions have challenges to do any given level in under like 15 minutes but they all took me over an hour pretty much. So if you're a completionist I think there's a lot of value in trying to really master every level.