Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
Are kids today big fans of sing alongs because I've seen a lot of advertising for them this weekend

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Electric Phantasm posted:

Has Scooby Doo really not done a Halloween movie before?

They've done a couple specials

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Goblin King took place on Halloween.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
I'm getting strong Mystery Inc. vibes from that one.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
There's a few formulas for the Scooby gang encountering the genuine supernatural/supervillains. One of the common ones is that while they're up against legitimate supervillains with superpowers and/or advanced technology, it's not being used the way it appears to be.

Wondering if this is following on from the recent Brave and the Bold crossover.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

i was never a huge fan of the original scooby doo, but mystery inc. and many of the direct-to-home features are legitimately pretty awesome. also, i never figured any hanna barbera series would last this long, especially one that goes as far back as the 60s.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

Ghost Leviathan posted:

There's a few formulas for the Scooby gang encountering the genuine supernatural/supervillains.

The moment I read this I was reminded of that terribly animated and terribly written Ghoul School thing where Shaggy acts as a coach for the daughters of famous monsters. Really, the only saving grace in that one were the designs.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Also it's canon for OK KO which is great. Enid went to that same school to learn witchcraft

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

BioEnchanted posted:

Also it's canon for OK KO which is great. Enid went to that same school to learn witchcraft

I've been half considering watching OK KO for that reason alone, but what I've seen of it doesn't sound appealing enough to slog through a whole cartoon just for that one scene.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

paradoxGentleman posted:

I've been half considering watching OK KO for that reason alone, but what I've seen of it doesn't sound appealing enough to slog through a whole cartoon just for that one scene.

You could just watch that one episode and see if you like it. The ghoul school characters only come up in one episode, and it's not one that's heavily tied in to the series' long-term storylines, so you don't have to have seen every episode up to that point to get it.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
ok ko doesn't have long-term storylines anyway, really.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

paradoxGentleman posted:

It has some cute themes, like KO for the most part doesn't mind being babied, in fact he often loves it, although when it means he isn't taken seriously that can bother him and at it's worst it dissociates and manifests as TKO. In the tie in game, there's a moment where the villains try to embarrass him by putting up a billboard of one of his baby pictures, but when he goes to destroy it, he notices his mother in the picture, which recontextualises the image for him so it no longer bothers him - now he just sees it as a reminder of how much his mommy loves him :3:

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Ghost Leviathan posted:

There's a few formulas for the Scooby gang encountering the genuine supernatural/supervillains. One of the common ones is that while they're up against legitimate supervillains with superpowers and/or advanced technology, it's not being used the way it appears to be.

Wondering if this is following on from the recent Brave and the Bold crossover.

Yeah having the villains using advanced technology or at least having some sort of weapon as part of their disguise has definitely become something of the norm for the franchise, as it gives the gang a reason to run away from the monster and use traps to stop it later instead of doing the logical thing after their first couple of mysteries prove that it's normally a guy in a mask and just dogpile the guy and beat the poo poo out of him*

*for similar reasons this is probably one of the reasons why real monster encounters went up so high during the Scrappy era(helps to justify everyone ignoring Scrappy's suggestions and attempts to fight the monsters), and part of why A Pup Named Scooby-Doo worked rather well(since they're just kids)

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Scarecrow is probably the one Batman villain they could probably take on, if he hasn't brought goons with him.

A Pup Named Scooby-Doo was actually pretty good. A lot of the mysteries were apparently set up so the audience could potentially figure them out before the characters do.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

There were a whole lot of supervillains back in the day that were just gang leaders without any real superpowers of their own. The genre used to be a lot more okay with smaller scale threats.

Norman Osborne was basically a scooby villain back when he was introduced.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Actually reminded of the bit in the comics where Scarecrow tries to lay low under a new identity as a college professor, but ends up blowing his cover when he finds out his favourite student was raped by her boyfriend, and decides to dish out some karmic punishment with his fear gas. Batman notes that at least Crane has the decency to wear his mask on the outside.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Scarecrow is probably the one Batman villain they could probably take on, if he hasn't brought goons with him.

A Pup Named Scooby-Doo was actually pretty good. A lot of the mysteries were apparently set up so the audience could potentially figure them out before the characters do.

I dunno, Velma seems smart enough to handle the Riddler.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines

Mr. Fowl posted:

Have you seen his calves lately though

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Argue posted:

Have you seen his calves lately though

When did the Riddler get so jacked?

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Scooby and Shaggy probably have an immunity to fear gas since they already live in perpetual fear.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

TwoPair posted:

Scooby and Shaggy probably have an immunity to fear gas since they already live in perpetual fear.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Mr. Fowl posted:

When did the Riddler get so jacked?

you're probably joking, but there's a story in the comics where riddler takes venom and is able to give batman a pretty good beating.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Mr Interweb posted:

you're probably joking, but there's a story in the comics where riddler takes venom and is able to give batman a pretty good beating.

Go watch Harely Quinn to get the joke. It's good.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Mr Interweb posted:

Reminds me that a Superman TAS ep where Superman is substituting for an injured Batman has him completely mess with a team-up of Bane, the Riddler and the Mad Hatter. While Bane spelled out how their skillsets complement one another, it's still a bit of a random combination. Maybe the overarching theme is green?

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

is this the same comic where Velma and Shaggy become Shazam-like superheroes because their catchphrases line up with a completely different set of mythological entities, or is that one unrelated

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Mr. Fowl posted:

I want to see Arkham Riddler lose his loving mind after the tenth time Velma solves his puzzle in under a minute.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Funky Valentine posted:

I want to see Arkham Riddler lose his loving mind after the tenth time Velma solves his puzzle in under a minute.

He'd probably get weird about her.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Hot Movie Velma and Buff Harley Quinn Riddler hook up.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Looks like we're getting a third season of Infinity Train, but on HBO Max.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Goddammit I'm gonna have to buy another loving streaming service.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
https://io9.gizmodo.com/exclusive-infinity-trains-third-season-is-bringing-ana-1844278217

Idk if it's indicative of WB consolidating all of their services or if it's just because Infinity Train seems to be attracting viewers outside of the normal CN demos.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

paradoxGentleman posted:

is this the same comic where Velma and Shaggy become Shazam-like superheroes because their catchphrases line up with a completely different set of mythological entities, or is that one unrelated

Different issue of the same series, it gets pretty wild with it's crossovers and references, like one where they team up with Space Ghost and while it's the classic version they do bring up Coast to Coast

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

BioEnchanted posted:

Hot Movie Velma and Buff Harley Quinn Riddler hook up.

*opens up AO3, cracks nuckles, starts typing while chuckling ominously*

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges

Xelkelvos posted:

https://io9.gizmodo.com/exclusive-infinity-trains-third-season-is-bringing-ana-1844278217

Idk if it's indicative of WB consolidating all of their services or if it's just because Infinity Train seems to be attracting viewers outside of the normal CN demos.

I mean Summer Camp Island became a Max Exclusive and there's 2 other fairly kiddy upcoming CN shows that are Max Exclusives so probably the former

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

drrockso20 posted:

Different issue of the same series, it gets pretty wild with it's crossovers and references, like one where they team up with Space Ghost and while it's the classic version they do bring up Coast to Coast

It also finally concludes one of Hanna-Barbera's longest loose ends--they resolve the plot of The Perils of Penelope Pitstop.

Also, to actually answer the question about Shaggy/Scooby and Scarecrow's fear gas, Shaggy is affected like normal (hallucinates monsters like everyone else); Scooby isn't affected because he's a dog. Naturally this could very well be treated differently in different series.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

https://variety.com/2020/tv/news/gravity-falls-amphibia-alex-hirsch-disney-channel-first-look-1234699377/

Gravity Falls is sort-of crossing over with Amphibia as Alex Hirsch returns in a season 2 episode which is a homage to Gravity Falls. The episode is titled "Wax Museum".

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Reminded how it's disappointing they rarely bring up the apropos-of-nothing BTAS casual respect between Harley and Scarecrow, who she's the only one to reliably call 'Professor'.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Reminded how it's disappointing they rarely bring up the apropos-of-nothing BTAS casual respect between Harley and Scarecrow, who she's the only one to reliably call 'Professor'.

I liked the little moment between them when Crane's being recaptured and is raving as he's dragged back through Arkham and this happens:

Harley walks by: "Hi Professor!"
Scarecrow: "RAH! Good Evening, my child! YOU'LL NEVER KEEP ME IN HERE!"

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Ghost Leviathan posted:

One of my favourite moments from the Injustice comics, which are way better than they have any right to be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
What's funny is is that Kent Nelson, the original Doctor Fate, at least before the New52/Rebirth, he was an actual physician so the Doctor appellation was accurate.