Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Good Sphere
Jun 16, 2018

If you are an international student enrolled in a US college that has no on-campus classes this fall semester due to covid-19, then you are expected to leave the country, even if you are doing online courses.

ICE.gov posted:

Nonimmigrant F-1 and M-1 students attending schools operating entirely online may not take a full online course load and remain in the United States. The U.S. Department of State will not issue visas to students enrolled in schools and/or programs that are fully online for the fall semester nor will U.S. Customs and Border Protection permit these students to enter the United States. Active students currently in the United States enrolled in such programs must depart the country or take other measures, such as transferring to a school with in-person instruction to remain in lawful status. If not, they may face immigration consequences including, but not limited to, the initiation of removal proceedings.
https://www.ice.gov/news/releases/sevp-modifies-temporary-exemptions-nonimmigrant-students-taking-online-courses-during

That's right, the assholes over at ICE are at it again, following Trumps xenophobic agenda white-ify America, and erase all sights of immigrants being a thing in this country to cash in on votes, because Trump's America hates immigrants, pays no mind to people of color, and apologizes for nothing. (Yes, that is why.)

Meanwhile, ICE fails miserably at trying to come up with a good excuse, but it will no surprise it will be convincing to the less fortunate imbeciles living in this country:

quote:

Carissa Cutrell, a spokesperson for ICE, said the agency now needed to make sure it was enforcing existing federal regulation requirements.

ICE "has been trying to be flexible in the accommodations it was making but needed to make sure we were maintaining oversight with international students," Cutrell told BuzzFeed News. "This was the best way of doing so."
https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/adolfoflores/foreign-students-online-schools-college-ice-deport

Which makes no sense. They are using covid to deport students. If schools allow it, they can risk getting infection at on-campus classes, or they will have to leave the country. Many colleges rely on international students, so I know they'll try to come up with a solution, but it will probably involve being on campus. So all other students will be entitled staying in and safe taking online courses, but for some reason international students need to risk their health.

For those that think it's an easy feat to leave the country and go to another school, consider the following:
-For those enrolled, classes they are registered for are starting in September.
-EU borders are closed.
-Who would admit them in the middle of a pandemic?
-Submitting applications takes money.
-They would need to travel on an airplane. Who wants to do that right now?
-Visa processing (most embassies are closed during the pandemic).
-It takes time to research universities, mail transcripts, contact faculties, etc.
-For those that need to leave, they likely won't be accepted anywhere by next semester.

What you can do:

Please contact your federal representatives. CALLING HAS THE MOST DIRECT IMPACT. IT WILL TAKE 5-10 MINUTES OF YOUR WHOLE DAY. PLEASE DO THIS.

You can find your House Representative by entering your zip code here: https://www.house.gov/representatives/find-your-representative
You can find your Senate representative in the link here: https://www.senate.gov/senators/index.htm There are two Senators to a state. Call/email BOTH of them.
When you are on the phone or emailing them them, you can use the following script:

quote:

“Hi. My name is [name] and I’m [calling/emailing] for [lawmaker’s name]. I am a constituent of [district - replace with whatever your district is].

I’m [calling/emailing] on behalf of all the international students in the country impacted by the recent ICE policy issued on July 6th. ICE is threatening to remove all international students whose schools and universities have moved online only due to the coronavirus pandemic. They are forcing international students to risk their health for their immigration status by making them take classes in-person to avoid deportation.

They have also stated that if a school has to move online only for ANY reason, international students will have to leave the country. This means that if schools shut down due to virus surges, international students will have to leave.
This policy is unjust and inhumane. ICE should ensure that international students are safe while accessing their education. They should make a temporary exemption to their rules to allow international students to continue taking online classes. Congress must do everything in their power to pressure ICE to reverse their decision and adopt a more humane policy. They are not only putting immigrants at risk, they are putting hundreds of thousands of American faculty and students at risk of catching the coronavirus.
International students should not have to choose between COVID-19 and deportation.”

Petition: PLEASE SIGN THIS

This policy is ridiculous and there's no justifiable reason that it should exist. There's over a million international college students in the US. Imagine how many lives will be ruined. It doesn't have to happen if people make a big enough stink about it. Quick action, in numbers may be enough to overturn this cruel and thoughtless decision.

Good Sphere has issued a correction as of 21:33 on Jul 7, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

This country is fascist and nothing short of violent revolution will change that.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

This country is fascist and nothing short of violent revolution will change that.

Oh well, can’t win em all

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

100% agree. Only way we will see any real, positive change, is we start tossing the wealthy and elite out of skyscrapers.

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

The Banter is better in AusGBS
Ice uh, finds a way

Pimpcasso
Mar 13, 2002

VOLS BITCH

you first

John_A_Tallon
Nov 22, 2000

Oh my! Check out that mitre!

Johnny Aztec posted:

100% agree. Only way we will see any real, positive change, is we start tossing the wealthy and elite out of skyscrapers.

They tried that with 9/11 and it just made things worse

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
gently caress ICE

gently caress trump

gently caress the GOP

gently caress anyone who votes republican

edit :

John_A_Tallon posted:

They tried that with 9/11 and it just made things worse

:vince: :boom:

sudonim
Oct 6, 2005

either sharpen the guillotine yourself or shut up. I'm gettin tired of members of this forum demanding governmental overhaul then doing nothing about it except spout desire for blood on an old dead website.

OP, you're championing s good cause, plz add any helpful links you come across to the first post.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
This fall is going to be so hosed in a thousand different ways.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

It sure is wonderful living in a failed state

BrassRoots
Jan 9, 2012

You can play a shoestring if you're sincere - John Coltrane
100% online courses and you get to live in the country sounds like a visa scam run by universities. If I was an enterprising young adult I would move to America then farm out the actual course work to some kid in Bangladesh.
E: not anymore I guess

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

BrassRoots posted:

100% online courses and you get to live in the country sounds like a visa scam run by universities. If I was an enterprising young adult I would move to America then farm out the actual course work to some kid in Bangladesh.

That's literally the rule they're enforcing here. Online only 'universities' haven't been able to have visa students for that exact reason, and applying that logic and ruling to real universities that are now 100% online only is a logical extension of that. Otherwise whatever the cutoff is for 'real university' to 'online only' would be abused by basically anyone unscrupulous to sell a bogus diploma and 'student visa' to anyone that can afford 30k/year in tuition. Kinda a lovely move, but that more or less describes the last 10 or so years of politics.

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

BrassRoots posted:

i wonder if there isn't some ongoing disaster that made it necessary to switch to online teaching oh well guess we'll never figure it out

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

what if america...and china...are evil???

all this poo poo is targeted at china, i feel bad for the people caught up in it

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,
You smell like Lysol Wipes.
Let's be honest and admit that getting a degree from a third world failed country isn't exactly marketable on the world stage. So while it's true that ICE is the capitalist gestapo, can you really say that not blowing money on a degree from a US school is a bad thing?

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe
I'm guessing the way around this is to require each student to come in for a socially-distanced one-on-one discussion with the professor, once, for each course. there you go, no longer 100% online.

Good Sphere posted:

(Yes, that is why.)

this is weird, are you having a conversation with yourself

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

If they wanted learning maybe they shouldn't have gone to the US.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Well this really hurts. I know someone trying to come over to study for a semester and between their home country getting tighter about US immigration and this it's looking less likely by the day. I've got to get out of this failing nation.

Greatest Living Man
Jul 22, 2005

ask President Obama

Hammerite posted:

I'm guessing the way around this is to require each student to come in for a socially-distanced one-on-one discussion with the professor, once, for each course. there you go, no longer 100% online.

Harvard explicitly declared they were 100% online, so they'd have to cave to ICE's bullshit and switch to a "hybrid model" with basically "self-study courses" held "on campus".

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

BrassRoots posted:

universities are scams full stop so you are correct

lol at people with 6 figures of debt for a bachelors in psych so they can be a receptionist for an HVAC company..etc

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe

Greatest Living Man posted:

Harvard explicitly declared they were 100% online, so they'd have to cave to ICE's bullshit and switch to a "hybrid model" with basically "self-study courses" held "on campus".

is that like a legal declaration? or can they turn around any time they want and say "oh well we didn't really mean 100% online for immigration purposes, oh deary me no"

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Hammerite posted:

is that like a legal declaration? or can they turn around any time they want and say "oh well we didn't really mean 100% online for immigration purposes, oh deary me no"

why would harvard care

i see them as more likely to legitimize reasons for charging out of state/international tuition for less work and exposure :shrug:

not like people are gonna go down to NJ or CT instead, since this is a federal law

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe

Statutory Ape posted:

why would harvard care

i see them as more likely to legitimize reasons for charging out of state/international tuition for less work and exposure :shrug:

not like people are gonna go down to NJ or CT instead, since this is a federal law

yeah maybe you're right. i don't know anything about the us higher education system anyway.

it seems like ICE is acting to enforce a law that was written without an international pandemic in mind and lawmakers should get their act together and amend the law. you have a competent and humane legislature right?

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Hammerite posted:

yeah maybe you're right. i don't know anything about the us higher education system anyway.

it seems like ICE is acting to enforce a law that was written without an international pandemic in mind and lawmakers should get their act together and amend the law. you have a competent and humane legislature right?

i think ICE might be an apparatus of a fascist regime, and should be viewed through that lens rather than pretending they care about anything besides being part of the political machine

i see things like this and i assume trump is in a pissing contest again

also i assume roughly 0% of trumps base gives a poo poo about colleges outside of football so this is a freebie attack on the liberal coastal elites :shrug:

Worf has issued a correction as of 12:36 on Jul 7, 2020

Pondex
Jul 8, 2014

Bin Laden won.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

lol its even funnier when you look at the GOP push to put as many children back in (non college) schools ASAP despite the fact its going to kill literally millions

probably harder to do meth and contemplate voting for trump when you cant hoist your kids off on the school system

Greatest Living Man
Jul 22, 2005

ask President Obama

Hammerite posted:

The latter, but Harvard sets the precedent for a lot of other private universities. Their announcement came hours before the ICE announcement --- it's likely that ICE saw it and decided to release the statement.

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!

Yes because we allow it.

Pondex posted:

Bin Laden won.

Exactly right. He set in motion the downfall and we're too stupid to even see it.

pop fly to McGillicutty has issued a correction as of 12:57 on Jul 7, 2020

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

pop fly to McGillicutty posted:

Yes because we allow it.

we dont really have a choice in a lot of ways

2 of the last 3 presidential elections GOP won they lost the popular vote so lol

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!

Statutory Ape posted:

we dont really have a choice in a lot of ways

2 of the last 3 presidential elections GOP won they lost the popular vote so lol

Assuming the solution is through the system put in place to keep you complacent is the problem.

There should have been revolt after the FIRST time "the popular vote didn't count".
Or after the first school of kindergarten kids got murdered.
Or after "very fine" Nazis marching.

We allow it.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Animal-Mother posted:

This fall is going to be so hosed in a thousand different ways.

do you mean fall the season, or do you mean "fall of the american empire"?

The Persian Funk
Jun 13, 2006

by Athanatos
Their presence in the country is a privilege, not a right.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

pop fly to McGillicutty posted:

Assuming the solution is through the system put in place to keep you complacent is the problem.

There should have been revolt after the FIRST time "the popular vote didn't count".
Or after the first school of kindergarten kids got murdered.
Or after "very fine" Nazis marching.

We allow it.

feel free to become a martyr i guess then

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe

The Persian Funk posted:

much like your posting

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe

Hammerite posted:

much like your posting

by which i mean that your ability to post is a privilege you enjoy. your posts are definitely not a privilege to read

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Just lol if you ever thought your murderous imperialist slave state was ever good

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!

Statutory Ape posted:

feel free to become a martyr i guess then

I love posts like this. "Don't question the empire or else your life is forfeit" is how I read it. You act like discussion of what's wrong is verboten.

I'm not wrong. It doesn't mean I'm throwing Molotov's out the window. You know, because I have a loving toddler that I have to keep safe and alive.

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!

The Persian Funk posted:

gently caress yourself

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

The Persian Funk posted:

maybe they should kill some current americans and take their houses over. then they would have the legitimate right to stay by the traditions of america