Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

Piell posted:

If your gimmick is you post racist screeds indistinguishable from someone just posting racist screeds sincerely, it's a bad gimmick.

Orrrrrr you could admit that you got fooled, like a lot of us did years ago (and occasionally still do).

Part of the fun w LoB is just reading regular posts then BAM LoB post and you’re like WTF is this doing here then realizing it’s LoB and laughing. Bonus when people like you fall for it and freak out.

Edit: I hate to go this route, but you’ve posted in this thread twice in the last 30 days and that’s it. You don’t seem to be a thread regular. It’s an inside-joke at this point for the IoSM thread that has lasted multiple iterations and mods. It’s sometimes bizarre screeds about religion or literally anything. HENCE “Lottery of Babylon”

If you don’t like it, put them on ignore or just stay out of the thread.

Boywhiz88 has a new favorite as of 12:49 on Jul 7, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Also they do it when there's a derail that's gone on too long to remind us why we're here. Also not every quote is racist.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Boywhiz88 posted:

Orrrrrr you could admit that you got fooled, like a lot of us did years ago (and occasionally still do).

Part of the fun w LoB is just reading regular posts then BAM LoB post and you’re like WTF is this doing here then realizing it’s LoB and laughing. Bonus when people like you fall for it and freak out.

Edit: I hate to go this route, but you’ve posted in this thread twice in the last 30 days and that’s it. You don’t seem to be a thread regular. It’s an inside-joke at this point for the IoSM thread that has lasted multiple iterations and mods. It’s sometimes bizarre screeds about religion or literally anything. HENCE “Lottery of Babylon”

I have been aware of the gimmick. I don't generally post in the thread, but I have read it regularly for a long time. (see my participation in the previous thread) "My gimmick is I sometimes pretend to be a racist" is a bad gimmick.

Piell has a new favorite as of 12:56 on Jul 7, 2020

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Boywhiz88 posted:

Edit: I hate to go this route,

But you're gonna anyway because you want the thread to be a circlejerk of the same 6 posters over and over again? Its a valid discussion to have whether the person discussing it has never posted before or if they post here like its their job.

I personally like LoBs posting generally, it is funny when people argue with him, but honestly if someone wants to be a gimmick poster they have to take the lumps that come with the gimmick. And its worth mentioning....

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Also not every quote is racist.

its almost like racism doesnt have to be part of the gimmick. If someone wants to "ironically" post racism without consequences there are places they can do that. Like 4chan for example.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
221 pages ago when the thread was rebooted we had a mod request (we miss you LAB) to not just post hateful poo poo. Yeah they're idiots but there's no comedy value and it's not exactly hard to find racism online. I don't think it's unreasonable to not want to see racist screeds ITT.

Also, I don't see how it's funny to see people get "fooled" by a gimmick of "posting dumb poo poo, unattributed."

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Lol at people in this thread in the year of our Lord 2020 defending "ironic" online racism.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
I have to agree that LoB's last post was a bit too much. The best LoB posts just make you wonder how anyone could hold whatever opinion is being posted whereas straight up racism doesn't really trigger that reaction these days.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Piell posted:

"My gimmick is I sometimes pretend to be a racist" is a bad gimmick.

:hmmyes:

Seriously the amount of praise that dude gets for posting unattributed idiotic poo poo is embarrassing to read. It's as bad as the sycophants of terrible posters like SMG and BotL but worse because those dudes actually put effort into their terrible posting.

Vincent Van Goatse has a new favorite as of 13:33 on Jul 7, 2020

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Like most traditions, this thread tradition is bad and it’s always hilarious to see people come out and defend it like it’s the peak of comedy and not something that makes the thread tiresome for pages at a time.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Boywhiz88 posted:

This is one of the saddest things I've seen posted in a while.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Runcible Cat posted:

The Changes trilogy by Peter Dickinson. Not so much a trilogy as 3 books with the same background (UK reverts to mediaeval times) but The Weathermonger is the one you're remembering, with Geoffrey the weatherworking hero and his sister driving across England in a Rolls Royce Silver Ghost to find out it's Merlin what dunnit.

(It also does better than JKR on the racial representation front - the 3rd book, The Devil's Children, is about a Sikh family all the local yokels decide are elves who set themselves up as smiths and kick the crap out of the local robber baron in his boilerplate armour cosplay.)

That's them, thanks! I remember now, Merlin's on the junk.

To make one last post about lady wizard writing, I need to re-read the Earthsea trilogy one day. I'd hated the ending for years, until it dawned on me I'd read it too young and there's probably more to it than (as I remembered it) my boy Ged's not-so-thrilling tale of settling down to be a middle aged stepdad.

Chubby Henparty has a new favorite as of 13:39 on Jul 7, 2020

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

quote edit gently caress

The Sausages
Sep 30, 2012

What do you want to do? Who do you want to be?
goons can have little a racism, as a treat

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

Ha ha! You thought the racist poo poo I posted was written by me, but it was actually copy/pasted from somewhere else! You should have known this because, uh.....

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

The true great victory over Big Brother is our ability to prove, despite society's insistence to the contrary, that humor is possible without being bigoted shitheads

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
My favorite part of LoB isn't just what they choose to copy, it's when they choose to copy.

It's a good gimmick.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
My advice on how to make this thread a lot better

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

maybe if I make the same post for the sixth time in two pages people will give a poo poo

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

SiKboy posted:

But you're gonna anyway because you want the thread to be a circlejerk of the same 6 posters over and over again? Its a valid discussion to have whether the person discussing it has never posted before or if they post here like its their job.

I personally like LoBs posting generally, it is funny when people argue with him, but honestly if someone wants to be a gimmick poster they have to take the lumps that come with the gimmick. And its worth mentioning....

its almost like racism doesnt have to be part of the gimmick. If someone wants to "ironically" post racism without consequences there are places they can do that. Like 4chan for example.

No, I don’t ever pull post-history stuff but I saw someone that only has two posts in the last month and thought may not be aware of how LoB works. Piell explained their stance, I accept it.

LoB finds some absurd stuff. That last post that kicked off all this was a bit extreme, but again, no one is going “oh haha, what a funny post.” It’s about the interruption that makes you go “what is this doing on SA” and then looking slightly to the left and seeing LoB’s name. What they posted wasn’t ironic, it’s never been framed that way. It’s just an awful post that got scraped from a comments section anywhere.

Some posters are commenting on this way more than they have bothered w the person freaking out at T-man, ironically or otherwise. That’s actual toxic crap in this thread.

Guilty
May 3, 2003
Ask me about how people having a bad reaction to MSG makes them racist, because I've never heard of gluten sensitivity
I mean to be honest, it's a lot better than goons claiming they hate J.K. Rowling and then taking us on their personal Harry loving Potter journeys and what the franchise truly means to them which clogged up 5 pages a few weeks ago and was slowly making it's way back before LoB posted.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

just lol if you didn't have Enrique explain forums traditions to you while having tiny fish nibble dead skin off the soles of your feet

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Guilty posted:

I mean to be honest, it's a lot better than goons claiming they hate J.K. Rowling and then taking us on their personal Harry loving Potter journeys and what the franchise truly means to them which clogged up 5 pages a few weeks ago and was slowly making it's way back before LoB posted.

Can't we go for broke and have a thread with neither of these things?

StillFullyTerrible
Feb 16, 2020

you should have left Let's Play open for public view, Lowtax
we could post fedora selfies instead

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Just lol if you didn't have Enrique write your diatribes against your "posting enemies"

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

https://twitter.com/CharlieDaniels/status/1280488006651166721

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

This is depraved.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Heartwarming

Karia
Mar 27, 2013

Self-portrait, Snake on a Plane
Oil painting, c. 1482-1484
Leonardo DaVinci (1452-1591)

The Saddest Rhino posted:

Just lol if you didn't have Enrique write your diatribes against your "posting enemies"

Lol if you don't have Enrique act as your strawman posting enemy so you can take them down in public and feel like an Internet Superhero.

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Will ya close the fucking doors?!
LoB is actually good. Glad we cleared that up, back to TERF chat.

Vindolanda
Feb 13, 2012

It's just like him too, y'know?

“And to my wastrel son I leave my haunted twitter, providing that he spends at least one night in it.”

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
https://twitter.com/Melissa101897/status/1280286106257428482

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

I am neutral on LoB

goodbye

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
https://twitter.com/Melissa101897/status/1280286106257428482

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
The beauty of LoB posts isn’t just that they appear to be candid for a hot minute, it’s the specific interaction when someone chooses to argue with her, and she always pulls out another inane copy/paste out her sleeve that responds to whatever argument is being made.

I’ve no issue with a moratorium on naked racism and similar bigotry, though. Ethnic cleansing isn’t funny.

E: her/she/her

Zulily Zoetrope has a new favorite as of 15:36 on Jul 7, 2020

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Andrast posted:

I am neutral on LoB

goodbye

This disgusts me.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

The beauty of LoB posts isn’t just that they appear to be candid for a hot minute, it’s the specific interaction when someone chooses to argue with him, and he always pulls out another inane copy/paste up his sleeve that responds to whatever argument is being made.

I’ve no issue with a moratorium on naked racism and similar bigotry, though. Ethnic cleansing isn’t funny.

Excuse me ethnic cleansing is very funny. Clean people laugh more especially if they’re babies and Black people should be given space to laugh just like Whites.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Okay, here's my final thoughts on this:

First off, I apologize to LoB for not getting the probation retracted like I said I would. I posted in the report that I wanted it retracted and then immediately went to bed, not realizing that there was more to it than that. That's on me.

Now, having said that:

Moon Slayer posted:

Just ... don't post unsourced hateful quotes. Dumb, angry, sure, whatever, but not the hateful stuff.

This rule stands.

rodbeard posted:

Thank you. I've been meaning to type up a big effort post about how even knowing the gimmick it makes me uncomfortable seeing huge walls of hate speech dumped without warning or context.

Long story short, it's because making people uncomfortable outweighs your thread injoke.

LoB, continue to post all the unsourced garbage you want, just stay away from the hateful stuff. It's pretty simple and I'm going to trust your judgement.

That is all.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Sounds like a good plan. Also I'm pretty sure LoB is a woman, just for clarification.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Karia posted:

Lol if you don't have Enrique act as your strawman posting enemy so you can take them down in public and feel like an Internet Superhero.

They call that move ‘The Stephen Byerley’.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

So very close to getting it. Nearly there.