Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Can someone screenshot the tweet Atwood is responding to there? That TERF has me blocked and I'm trying to figure out the conversation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

as a person who never leaves my house i've done pretty well for myself.

Arivia posted:

Can someone screenshot the tweet Atwood is responding to there? That TERF has me blocked and I'm trying to figure out the conversation.

quote:

How did the people in Gilead know which people to make into Handmaidens?

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Gosh, how *do* fascists rule on gender!? We have no examples of how militant patriarchy treats edge cases, but I'm guessing they're really flexible

GlobglogGroAbgalab
Jul 25, 2016

It appears that the elephant is highly sensitive to the effects of LSD - a finding which may prove to be valuable in elephant-control work in Africa.
Like the mighty fasces, they bend but do not break

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Melissa seems to think this is a huge gotcha and I have no idea why.

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!

RoboRodent posted:

It's this:

https://twitter.com/duncanoe2/status/1280508330184671236

edit:
It's a gotcha because if Atwood is correct and sex is a spectrum full of messy categories that can't be neatly explained by XX and XY chromosomes, then Gilead would have been unable to enforce its rigid patriarchy. But in the books Gilead was able to do so, so they must not have had any trouble telling the difference between men and women. Therefore Atwood is a hypocrite for posting her link about the biology of sex since clearly Gilead did not require any such nuance to carry out its oppression.

wizzardstaff has a new favorite as of 16:28 on Jul 7, 2020

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

RoboRodent posted:

She's not the only one. "Oh, your evil fictional patriarchal society doesn't recognized trans people?! And yet you do?! How curious! I am very smart!"

jjack229
Feb 14, 2008
Articulate your needs. I'm here to listen.

RoboRodent posted:

Same here, I read the book a couple years ago and I can't understand what point Melissa thinks she is making. Can someone translate IOSM for me?

Fake edit: Is it that if a brutal, misogynistic regime treated trans men the same way they treated cis women, then our society should do the same?

Guilty
May 3, 2003
Ask me about how people having a bad reaction to MSG makes them racist, because I've never heard of gluten sensitivity
If you guys don't want to read the book you could at least read the responses to that dumbass comment which explain why she's a dumbass:
https://twitter.com/theangelremiel/status/1280499161360748545?s=20

edit:

Arivia posted:

here you go: https://imgur.com/a/tprLXxP

link to margaret's original tweet that pissed off the terfs: https://twitter.com/MargaretAtwood/status/1280262917506641922?s=20

Guilty has a new favorite as of 16:40 on Jul 7, 2020

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

wizzardstaff posted:

It's this:

https://twitter.com/duncanoe2/status/1280508330184671236

edit:
It's a gotcha because if Atwood is correct and sex is a spectrum full of messy categories that can't be neatly explained by XX and XY chromosomes, then Gilead would have been unable to enforce its rigid patriarchy. But in the books Gilead was able to do so, so they must not have had any trouble telling the difference between men and women. Therefore Atwood is a hypocrite for posting her link about the biology of sex since clearly Gilead did not require any such nuance to carry out its oppression.

"Fuhrer! Fuhrer, I know you were going to murder the gender traitors and homosexuals, but according to this fascinating book from a Doctor Hirschfield it may be more complic--"

*the book is roughly grabbed out of their hands and pitched into the bonfire*

"-alright, nevermind."

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

jjack229 posted:

Same here, I read the book a couple years ago and I can't understand what point Melissa thinks she is making. Can someone translate IOSM for me?

Fake edit: Is it that if a brutal, misogynistic regime treated trans men the same way they treated cis women, then our society should do the same?

she's very poorly trying to argue that sex organs = gender by pointing out that the brutal misogynistc regime reduced gender to sex organs, thus bing bong so simple

"if the church nazis who had a system of institutional rape could call women women, then surely you can do the same without pretending that such a thing as 'gender fluidity' exists - i mean, even the nazis got it!"

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

"How can you reduce sex and gender to a binary and build a society around that if it is not accurate?" I say, living in reality.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

The big question is: Is Wu Flu just yet another new flu, worse than most, less bad than some, with a death rate around 0.1% or less, or is it something considerably more serious, with a death rate around 1% or more?

And we are seeing a pile of compelling evidence, for example New York City, that it is 1% or more, and a pile of compelling evidence, for example most of the rest of America, and a great many countries around the world, that it is 0.1% or less. We also see that the elites are not happy with the evidence that it is 0.1% or less – for example they took down the Dr Erickson video. They want it to be 1% or more.

so what explains this mysteriously massively discrepant evidence? Why is it so?

When a dangerous disease is going around the normal response is to lockdown the sick, not the healthy, that you quarantine those infected or suspected of infection and turn away strangers and outsiders. The sick and travelers temporarily lose their civil rights, but life goes on as normal for everyone else. That was the spontaneous mass response to Ebola. It is what people have always done for over a thousand years, because it works. Peoples, elites, and authorities have often responded to extremely serious plagues with extremely severe travel restrictions but no one has ever locked down the healthy, even in response to very serious diseases such as Ebola that were obviously far more deadly.

Some governments responded to the disease by imposing quarantine on carriers and plausibly suspected carriers. The East Asians simply locked them up, the Australian and New Zealand government imposed “voluntary” quarantine – and if you do not “volunteer” with sufficient enthusiasm, they lock you up even if you are a big star and very important person and have very important things to do.

Places that impose quarantine on carriers have only a minor problem. But strangely in many places, we are seeing drastic measures imposed on the normal population, while carriers are free to cough all over the subway and are forced into old people’s homes. Where governments have acted vigorously and effectively to quarantine and treat the sick, where governments do what has been done for well over a thousand years in response to plagues, Wu Flu has caused very little sickness and death, irrespective of whether they imposed lockdown or not, South Korea being the most dramatic example.

We have had millenia of travel blockades and quarantines in response to pandemics, and they have worked. We have never had a lockdown of the healthy, and it is not working.

And where governments do not very much want the death rate to 1% or higher, we are not seeing anything like 1% or higher.

Exhibit number one for an extremely seriously death rate is New York city, where the government forces Wu Flu patients into old folks homes, and people with a fever are free to cough all over the subway. In much of the world, there is a guard at the door of every major shopping center who points a thermometer gun at your head to check you for fever, but in New York City, which is exhibit A for Wu Flu being a serious disease with a high death rate: We saw Cuomo deliberately send coronona virus into old people’s homes, knowing the death rate is more like 70% in an old people’s home – but not however for old people being cared for by their families.

quote:

The CEO of a hard-hit Brooklyn nursing home, where 55 patients have died from the coronavirus, told The Post last week that he’d been warning state Health Department officials for weeks he had staffing and equipment issues — yet received little help.

“There is no way for us to prevent the spread under these conditions,’’ the head of the Cobble Hill Health Center, Donny Tuchman, wrote in an e-mail to the department on April 8.

He said he asked to move some patients to the makeshift wards at Manhattan’s Javits Center and aboard the city-docked USNS Comfort amid the pandemic, only to be told those two spots were receiving only patients from hospitals.

“I made specific requests to transfer patients, and it didn’t happen,’’ Tuchman told The Post. “There weren’t options.”

Hydroxychloroquine is being widely blocked. To be effective, has to be given before the lungs are adversely affected. Impaired lungs can lead to low oxygen levels of which the patient is unaware, resulting in cascading organ failure if some of his other organs are a bit on the marginal side and even if the corona virus goes away before he dies, which it often does. If you have two marginal organs, and then you have a third marginal organ, you are apt to get cascading organ failure. And if you have several marginal organs, you are a lot more likely to get cascading organ failure in an unpleasant and hostile alien environment where you have no control, than in a pleasant and supportive home environment where you have substantial influence and control.

And, similarly ventilators. If someone has a bunch of marginal organs, and you stick him on a ventilator, he will very likely die from the ventilator, irrespective of oxygen levels. We know that oxygen masks are way better for people that are conscious and alert.

It is absolutely obvious that some people very much want this to be a dire crisis, and are prepared to take drastic action to make sure that it actually is a dire crisis.

Remember the much promised alarming shortage of hospital beds. Notice that we have quarantine for the healthy, not the sick. The USNS comfort was intended as a hospital and quarantine center and it is not being used because Cuomo wants people who are coughing up corona virus to ride the subways.

New York is indeed having a death rate closer to 1%, and we see ample evidence that the New York government wants a death rate closer to 1%.

That is what explains the discrepancy.

When someone is already frail, and you would prefer that they died, it is easy to make sure that they do. With the best will in the world, iatrogenic death is a huge problem, and we have been seeing a great deal of the worst will in the world.

Rt over all America has been dropping independent of lockdown, which seems to have small effect, probably for the reasons given in the Dr Erickson video. Therefore, except perhaps in Wyoming, we are getting a significant fraction of the population immune, at least among the superspreader subpopulations, such as homeless and subway riders, and we have not been getting 1% of a significant fraction of the population dying, except in states and cities where it is absolutely obvious that the the government wants a significant fraction of the population to die. We have a plague of state sponsored iatrogenic deaths, not a plague of yet another new flu.

The old and the frail are most at risk, partly because flu always kills the old and the frail, and mostly because old people separated from home and kin are extremely vulnerable to iatrogenic mistreatment. Some years ago I was detained against my will in a very unpleasant hospital, on the grounds that my vital signs needed to be continually monitored, until I managed to arrange to have myself transferred to a much nicer hospital, where I actually received useful and effective treatment in a pleasant environment while my vital signs were being monitored in a polite, pleasant, respectful, and unobtrusive fashion. If I had been frail, would have been at risk of iatrogenic injury or death in the unpleasant hospital.

If we look at who is dying and where they are dying, the big risk factor is a state system that wants you to die, and health problems that make you vulnerable to being killed iatrogenically. The distribution of deaths indicates the primary cause of death is not disease, but the biggest killer of the twentieth century: Government.

San Francisco has the same risk factors as New York City; crowding, dirt, public transport, and homelessness; and yet there is an enormous difference in the death rate. Both have comparable levels of Wu Flu among superspreader subpopulations. One place is generating stats consistent with a 1% death rate and grossly inconsistent with a 0.1% death rate, the other place is generating stats grossly inconsistent with a 1% death rate, and consistent with a death rate considerably lower than 0.1%.

Why does the the New York government send old people sick with corona virus into old people’s homes, when the USS Comfort sits empty?

The government want to atomize, to “socially distance” groups that it hates and fears: Observe white get busted for surfing and going for a walk in the park, while non asian minorities have no problem throwing big parties. Observe orthodox Jews get the stick, while progressive Jews and Muslims are fine.

Wu Flu is an opportunity and justification for locking down people you fear and dislike, and, in some places such as New York City, an opportunity for killing off groups you fear and dislike, hence the seemingly discrepant facts on death rates. Cuomo is refusing to send people to facilities that he does not have authority over, where he cannot make sure that they will die.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Trying to take down LoB only makes them stronger.

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug
And back on ignore for prolixity.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

I don't know if it's worse when the person with those kind of views is a competent writer or when they talk Like This....it boggles THE MIND!!!

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

gleebster posted:

The wuflu was a surprise to every nation it would appear. An accident? No, it is something we were warned about many years ago.

Sweden, unaffected by the flu AND no lockdown torture either, their economy by and large unaffected. Ditto much of Asia, Japan totally unaffected, South Korea, even China (which panicked) hasn’t suffered much. They all grab a few more authoritarian powers of course, that’s The State for you.

Five nations have suffered the most from the wuflu itself, mostly thanks to medical negligence/killings, but their numbers stand out far above any other. These same nations are also suffering the most from deaths and pain due to lack of availability of routine healthcare and procedures and treatments. I know someone with severe MS, who has been denied his usual medicines, for reasons unknown.

These five nations also have suffered the most restrictive lockdowns, with life effectively reduced to house arrest, plus food shopping, plus a walk or cycle ride, only once per day, if you’re lucky.

Those nations: America, UK, Italy, France, Spain.

I bet no one here, or perhaps anywhere, can spot the common denominator between these five nations, and from that arrive at the cause and level of their suffering, when compared to every other nation on the planet.

Prediction: those 5 nations will see wuflu return every year, maybe twice a year, and the lockdowns will become ever more onerous, and new laws will result in people being taken away to be killed, for no reason whatsoever. UK law already allows this, no coronoer, no family members need even be informed, nothing, just..gone. The State just needs to pin wuflu on you, and that’s it, your life is over.

Tough times, but these nations deserve it, and more besides.

I will reveal later today, if no one guesses.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
The Wuflu Plan ain't nothin to gently caress with.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

gleebster posted:

You fool.

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug

You're terse, at least.

pseudorandom
Jun 16, 2010

Yam Slacker
Found this today while doing some shopping.

This isn't exactly social media, is there a better thread for dumb reviews?

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

pseudorandom posted:

Oof! I hated stuff like that when it affected ratings for my job. Our main metric was “likelihood to recommend.” I had given the client great service, they even said so in the review but they 1-star’d that metric citing “none of my friends use computers.” I don’t blame them for that situation, but it was also like a “drat!” moment.

This Is the Zodiac
Feb 4, 2003

Probate anyone who reports a LoB post.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

pseudorandom posted:

Are you certain that's not a gimmick reviewer? Either way, I want to see more of their reviews.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I've been here since 2004, I literally just found out about LoB today, and while their gimmick doesn't bother me it sure does suck hot rear end and made the last few pages garbage... so let's not support that.

MizPiz posted:

Are you certain that's not a gimmick reviewer? Either way, I want to see more of their reviews.
If it weren't on something as broad-spectrum as Amazon I might say so... but nah it's super plausibly real.

pseudorandom
Jun 16, 2010

Yam Slacker

MizPiz posted:

I just went back to check their profile to see if there was more hilarity to be found, but strangely that appears to be the only review where they went on an evangelical rant, all of the other seem normal :psyduck: That actually makes me think it's real.

poly and open-minded
Nov 22, 2006

In BOD we trust

does amazon let you change your display name ala twitter or was that person just first in line for jesuslover?

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/DeutscheBank/status/1280490499007283201

"Woopsy!"

letthereberock
Sep 4, 2004

Can’t find a pic but there was a guy on Yelp a while back who would rate everything he liked one star because “#1 means the best!!!” - it may have been a moderately amusing gimmick but my money is on he was just that dumb because, you know, Yelp.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

https://twitter.com/mattyglesias/status/1280522973003362312

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

T-man posted:

am i allowed to say

Oh, and just for the record, you absolutely are not.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

https://twitter.com/isabelzawtun/status/1280486432965099527

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

:eyepop:

GlobglogGroAbgalab
Jul 25, 2016

It appears that the elephant is highly sensitive to the effects of LSD - a finding which may prove to be valuable in elephant-control work in Africa.
I can’t believe he can seriously think that way while not choking to death on his own saliva. It is so much easier to assume he’s a troll

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

ah poo poo apparently I've been Had!

https://twitter.com/woodmuffin/status/1280553101653676038

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

lol Twitter like envy

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Already gone.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

Cernunnos posted:

Already gone.

Matty just deleted all of his tweets loving lol what a baby

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Already gone.

Good Citizen posted:

Matty just deleted all of his tweets loving lol what a baby

Now I really want to know what it was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

ultrafilter posted:

Already gone.

Now I really want to know what it was.

He signed that stupid rear end harpers open letter on cancel culture and was defending why he did it