Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
I hope xtal has taught you a valuable lesson in never asking questions.

Melondog
Oct 9, 2006

:yeshaha:
It's simple. Corporations are people, but they're rich, white people, and by law can never be held to account for anything.

God it's like you people have never heard of America.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

turntabler posted:

Thoughts/questions aren't opinions but good chat there guy.

Someone with a September '11 regdate is trying to bring down the thread :thunk:

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out
CEOs have been charged with manslaughter, but it should happen way more often.

Criminal conspiracy would be better than nothing.

AlbieQuirky has a new favorite as of 04:35 on Jun 21, 2020

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Stare-Out posted:

Probably a dumb question, but the Olbermann video made think if corporations are people in the legal sense,

Corporations are not "people in the legal sense." That's not even a construction that makes sense. Corporations have some of the legal rights that natural persons have.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Fatty Crabcakes posted:

Hence the distinction between a corporate person and a natural person. It's a legal fiction, but only the second most fictive.

Whats the first

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

Milo and POTUS posted:

Whats the first

Anything by John Grisham.

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

Stare-Out posted:

Probably a dumb question, but the Olbermann video made think if corporations are people in the legal sense, is it possible for a corporation to be sentenced as a person for a crime? Like if corporation X (take your pick) is found guilty of say, polluting a town's water supply which then leads to the deaths of dozens of people, wouldn't that count as mass murder and in a death penalty state wouldn't the corporation then technically be subject to a possible death sentence?

I want it to be true because it's stupid on top of stupid and it would be so perfect if they had to figure out a way to symbolically execute a corporation.

Corporations absolutely can be held accountable for crimes.
Unfortunately because they have so much money, fines are often just a drop in the bucket, if they even receive a fine due to their huge teams of lawyers.
Usually stuff like polluting a town's water supply, as per your example, tend to fall into the "environmental hazard" area, regardless of how many people it injures or kills. Not enough evidence for that!
Such is the legal system in the great developed western world.

Mister Mind
Mar 20, 2009

I'm not a real doctor,
But I am a real worm;
I am an actual worm
All Prison Guards Are Bastards.

https://twitter.com/ethanbrown72/status/1275179580849098752?s=21

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

No surprise there. These are the people that couldn't cut it as cops.

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Next time on Weird Unsolved Mysteries: a boot happened to make contact with a man’s skull, repeatedly; a corrections officer was said to have been nearby

Follow-up: said officer was given 2 paid months off work and awarded a medal for courage in the endless struggle against Rogue Boots

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

The US government signed a sweetheart deal with HSBC to not prosecute after it was discovered the bank did business with cartels and terrorists on a massive scale and the fine was equivalent to something like five weeks of profits.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Well they can't very well close a gigantic source of tax revenue now can they? That's just crazy talk.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Groovelord Neato posted:

The US government signed a sweetheart deal with HSBC to not prosecute after it was discovered the bank did business with cartels and terrorists on a massive scale and the fine was equivalent to something like five weeks of profits.

I'm sure we'll have the same deal with Deutsche Bank soon.

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone
https://www.headstuff.org/culture/history/james-henry-hammond-pro-slavery-paedophile-politician/

He makes Andrew Jackson look like Jimmy Carter

britishbornandbread
Jul 8, 2000

You'll stumble in my footsteps
Sorry for the random question, but Google is not helping me. This thread has been my go-to for many many years now, and I've learned so many interesting, if not scary, things in that time. I am trying to find the name of a specific murderer (!!) who's story is that he killed his family in, I believe, a house fire, and in the end he was bullied and harrassed in prison relentlessly that he ended up being killed by his fellow inmates. I believe he maintained his innocence. The overall tone of his Wikipedia page I remember being one of patheticness, if that helps.

Thank you in advance guys, keep up the great thread!

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos
BREAKING NEWS FROM THE COOL ZONE

Edit: Photos from inside

Bullfrog posted:

this is the room in the house that was set up on fire.

more photos, all from the real estate listing

MizPiz has a new favorite as of 00:53 on Jun 24, 2020

Jayme
Jul 16, 2008

britishbornandbread posted:

Sorry for the random question, but Google is not helping me. This thread has been my go-to for many many years now, and I've learned so many interesting, if not scary, things in that time. I am trying to find the name of a specific murderer (!!) who's story is that he killed his family in, I believe, a house fire, and in the end he was bullied and harrassed in prison relentlessly that he ended up being killed by his fellow inmates. I believe he maintained his innocence. The overall tone of his Wikipedia page I remember being one of patheticness, if that helps.

Thank you in advance guys, keep up the great thread!

You're probably thinking of Cameron Todd Willingham - here's the New Yorker piece on him.

britishbornandbread
Jul 8, 2000

You'll stumble in my footsteps

Jayme posted:

You're probably thinking of Cameron Todd Willingham - here's the New Yorker piece on him.

Thank you for responding. The Willingham case is very similar, yes - in fact reading about this is what reminded me about the case I am looking for - but this is not the specific example I am looking for.

The above link and the Wikipedia page for Willingham are fascinating. If you've not read them, you absolutely should.

My search goes on!

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

I wouldn't ordinarily do this, but with everything going on on the forums and the possibility they might not be around after this week I want to invite you friends to the Anomaly Discord. I've specifically set up an unnerving article and story channel tailored for the kinds of things posted on this thread because you guys have supported me since day one and I'd hate to lose touch. So whether you come or not, just know it's been a pleasure posting with you all if this ship goes down.

Now then, time for some content. Is anyone familiar with Charlie Zelenoff, because I'm researching him right now for the next video.

The Golden Gael has a new favorite as of 13:44 on Jun 25, 2020

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

The Golden Gael posted:

Now then, time for some content. Is anyone familiar with Charlie Zelenoff, because I'm researching him right now for the next video.

I am. Dude's got a unique crazy going on. Total delusion in the face of, well, punches to the face.

i must compose
Jul 4, 2010

Until the lions have their own historians, the history of the hunt will always glorify the hunter.

The Golden Gael posted:

I wouldn't ordinarily do this, but with everything going on on the forums and the possibility they might not be around after this week I want to invite you friends to the Anomaly Discord. I've specifically set up an unnerving article and story channel tailored for the kinds of things posted on this thread because you guys have supported me since day one and I'd hate to lose touch. So whether you come or not, just know it's been a pleasure posting with you all if this ship goes down.

You were right, the popof video was sublime. My wife actually knew who he was: she drank some of the miracle water when she was younger cause it was free and it was funny.

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

i must compose posted:

You were right, the popof video was sublime. My wife actually knew who he was: she drank some of the miracle water when she was younger cause it was free and it was funny.

I ordered some to my house with a fake name. I should have waited til it arrived and appended an unboxing video to the Popoff doc, because the presentation of the letter and all is batshit insane. I'll post a picture sometime if the forums are still around.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

I knew about Popoff because of the Steven Martin movie based on his ministry.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

StillFullyTerrible
Feb 16, 2020

you should have left Let's Play open for public view, Lowtax
idgi, it's just a pic of me???

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
fly infestation in horse stomach

https://i.imgur.com/1QDl2Kq.jpg

Skelicopter
Feb 19, 2013

More like Prince Alarming

Pick posted:

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
Parasitic maggots were/are often eaten as a tasty treat when butchering deer and such.

Now you knooow

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Telsa Cola posted:

Parasitic maggots were/are often eaten as a tasty treat when butchering deer and such.

Now you knooow

You mean gut candy?

Piss Meridian
Mar 25, 2020

by Pragmatica

Pick posted:

:(

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Inceltown posted:

You mean gut candy?

Maybe? Theres also a species that infests the nose/sinuses which gets eaten.

The reindeer botfly is one I can find easiest but I distinctly remember reading something which talked about it in more detail.

Telsa Cola has a new favorite as of 01:18 on Jun 29, 2020

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

Back with a new story about a 'boxer' who frequently attacks random people, stalks celebrities, and thinks he's the Greatest of All Time.

DemonDarkhorse
Nov 5, 2011

It's probably not tobacco. You just need to start wiping front-to-back from now on.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gary_M._Heidnik

I don't remember seeing this guy before. He just came up on an episode of the FBI Files or somethings, coincidentally on the anniversary of his execution. One of the inspirations for Buffalo Bill, he kidnapped 6 young women in an attempt to start his own babymaking farm after his 3 children (one with a mail order bride, one with a mentally disabled institutionalized woman) were taken away.

Oh he also deafened his victims by rupturing their eardrums with a screwdriver.

Piss Meridian
Mar 25, 2020

by Pragmatica
https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2020/jun/26/cyanide-bombs-wildfire-services-idaho

US government service deploys cyanide bombs to mass murder native animals

TorpedoFish
Feb 19, 2006

Tingly.
I don't recall seeing it in this thread, so let's have a chat about Dr Michael Swango.

The linked article, contemporaneous to most of his crimes, gives a good summary: he was an extremely bad doctor who never completed a residency and at one point served two years in prison for poisoning coworkers. He also liked to poison his patients, and likely killed dozens of people that way. He worked as a doctor in Ohio, South Dakota, and New York before people finally caught on.

What the article doesn't mention, because no one knew it yet, was that Swango wasn't done! Once he realized the feds were on to him, he fled the country and found work as a doctor in Zimbabwe, where he continued to poison patients (and his landlady). When he was fired there, he again fled the country, spent some time poisoning his way across Africa, and ultimately applied for a job in Saudi Arabia. Only then did the right people finally realize who he was, and lured him back to the US. They got him on charges of fraud, and used that time to build the murder case against him.

Finally, only when faced with the prospect of extradition to Zimbabwe, Swango plead guilty to three counts of murder. He's serving three consecutive life sentences with no possibility of parole, but it's still unknown exactly how many people he murdered: at least three, but many estimate as many as sixty. It turns out it's pretty easy for a doctor to kill you, and get away with it!

letthereberock
Sep 4, 2004

When I started reading your summary TorpedoFish I assumed this story took place in the 1870s or something, when you could just roll from town to town and the only requirement for being a doctor was “says he is a doctor”. This mofo was pulling this poo poo in the mid-90s!

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/jul/07/dutch-police-arrest-six-men-after-discovery-of-torture-chamber

quote:

"Dutch police have arrested six men after discovering sea containers that had been converted into a makeshift prison and sound-proofed “torture chamber” complete with a dentist’s chair, tools including pliers and scalpels and handcuffs, a high-ranking officer announced.

Yikes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

TorpedoFish posted:

I don't recall seeing it in this thread, so let's have a chat about Dr Michael Swango.

The linked article, contemporaneous to most of his crimes, gives a good summary: he was an extremely bad doctor who never completed a residency and at one point served two years in prison for poisoning coworkers. He also liked to poison his patients, and likely killed dozens of people that way. He worked as a doctor in Ohio, South Dakota, and New York before people finally caught on.

What the article doesn't mention, because no one knew it yet, was that Swango wasn't done! Once he realized the feds were on to him, he fled the country and found work as a doctor in Zimbabwe, where he continued to poison patients (and his landlady). When he was fired there, he again fled the country, spent some time poisoning his way across Africa, and ultimately applied for a job in Saudi Arabia. Only then did the right people finally realize who he was, and lured him back to the US. They got him on charges of fraud, and used that time to build the murder case against him.

Finally, only when faced with the prospect of extradition to Zimbabwe, Swango plead guilty to three counts of murder. He's serving three consecutive life sentences with no possibility of parole, but it's still unknown exactly how many people he murdered: at least three, but many estimate as many as sixty. It turns out it's pretty easy for a doctor to kill you, and get away with it!

The healthcare community matches or exceeds the law-enforcement community in their willingness to cover up misdeeds and kick the can down the road no matter how heinous the consequences. Every single one of the serial killer doctors and nurses you’ve read about had a 5 to 50 year history of patient outcomes that could literally only be explained by murder or gross incompetence. Every single one of them was suspected by coworkers, suspected by superiors, suspected by hospital administrators, and just shuffled down the line from job to job rather than being dealt with.

I guess there must be some who got busted right away, and that’s why they’re not famous, but I don’t really have faith in that.