Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Pocky In My Pocket posted:

I really like bits of games where you lure one enemy group into fighting another enemy group before picking off the stragglers, are there any games that does that kinda thing a lot?

I’ve been playing through rear end Creed 2 and I do that all the time. Hire some mercs, send them to attack, then stab the guards from behind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Cardiovorax posted:

No, as far as I know they only introduced medic units with Red Alert.

And even then they were inconsistent. Medics are only in RA1 and Tiberian Sun. C&C 3 lets GDI heal infantry with the armory (which I always forget is an option) and Scrin through their corruptor, but NOD treats all their folks as disposable.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Oxxidation posted:

has there been even a whisper of a rumor of Silksong news

i assume that their sole artist is waiting on a replacement for their bionic limb

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2020/07/07/hollow-knight-silksong-reveals-a-fourth-and-final-new-character/

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Cartoon Man posted:

I’ve been playing through rear end Creed 2 and I do that all the time. Hire some mercs, send them to attack, then stab the guards from behind.
rear end Creed Revelations and Rogue weren't great games, but they did have a lot places where two factions hang out in their own zones and can easily get into a fight if you leave a dead body or otherwise lure one group into the other's territory.

Revelations also had mercs that were actually effective at killing enemies, instead of flynning in the background while you did all the actual fighting.

Xander77 fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Jul 7, 2020

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

I really like bits of games where you lure one enemy group into fighting another enemy group before picking off the stragglers, are there any games that does that kinda thing a lot?

DOOM :devil:

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

There's some way of getting mercs to aggro ordinary jerks in rear end Creed Odyssey, but I could never figure out exactly how. I think it was something to do with projectiles, but I'm not sure. But given the amount of both, you could probably have some awesome fights.

The territory control fights would probably also count, but they're time limited which is less fun.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Middle-Earth is literally all about this

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Xander77 posted:

rear end Creed Revelations and Rogue weren't great games, but they did have a lot places where two factions hang out in their own zones and can easily get into a fight if you live a dead body or otherwise lure one group into the other's territory.

Revelations also had mercs that were actually effective at killing enemies, instead of flynning in the background while you did all the actual fighting.

In the rear end Creed 2 games the mercs and courtesans are super useful and the thieves are sort of just there. They're supposed to lead guards away, but courtesans do too and you can keep walking with the other pair.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

oh, well, that's serendipitous

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:coolspot:
Seashells by the
Seashorpheus

Not enemy groups but causing monsters to fight amongst themselves is a very viable strategy in the original DooM games

LionEyez
Aug 17, 2014

Spoke Lee posted:

Any good games come out aping Slay The Spire? Also how and Stellar Tactics and I Am Not A Monster?

Monster Train takes some inspiration from StS but is different enough to not be the same kind of thing with a different coat of paint. It's card-based combat + tower defense elements. StS didn't draw me in for very long to be honest, but I've been playing a few rounds of Monster Train every day for a while now.

I like how you can find what seem to be super combos, only to find one particular type of enemy or boss to hard counter that playstyle. But runs are short and there's plenty of card combinations to keep it interesting - with more playable factions on the way.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

StrixNebulosa posted:

Sherlock Holmes Complete Adventures - contains Crime and Punishments and all the other decent/bad ones. They're working on a new one, to come out in Q1 2021!

you can cut an additional $7 off this by adding all the individual games and skipping the soundtracks.

I've never played any of these, and there are a lot of them.

Does the gameplay loop involve making leaps of deduction by the player? or are you mostly exhausting dialogue trees till the characters figure out the solution?

or, another way, are these games mostly played on rails?

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

ketchup vs catsup posted:

Does the gameplay loop involve making leaps of deduction by the player? or are you mostly exhausting dialogue trees till the characters figure out the solution?
In Crimes and Punishments and to a lesser extent Devil's Daughter, yes. The rest is bog-standard adventure game fare and usually not very good.

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

Cuz life sucks, kids. Get it while you can.

Sininu posted:

Ask for games, more than one is fine. Give me your Steam profile if you don't have PM's.

Tower of Guns
GRIP: Combat Racing
Underhero

If these are still available I'd take any combination of them! PM works, thanks so much.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Spoke Lee posted:

Any good games come out aping Slay The Spire? Also how and Stellar Tactics and I Am Not A Monster?
The thing that's most resembled slay the spire for me is Hearthstone Dungeon Crawl/Monster Hunt (seriously). It's free and pretty entertaining though less fair and more highrolly.

I wouldn't recommend Griftlands in its current state.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

LionEyez posted:

Monster Train takes some inspiration from StS but is different enough to not be the same kind of thing with a different coat of paint. It's card-based combat + tower defense elements. StS didn't draw me in for very long to be honest, but I've been playing a few rounds of Monster Train every day for a while now.

I like how you can find what seem to be super combos, only to find one particular type of enemy or boss to hard counter that playstyle. But runs are short and there's plenty of card combinations to keep it interesting - with more playable factions on the way.

Nthing this. Monster Train is fantastic and I can't put it down. I liked StS but burned out quickly because I never felt like I could experiment during a run but Monster Train gives you plenty of chances to undo mistakes or pivot in a different direction during a run depending on what you get. At the base level it feels 'easier' because of this, but I find it immensely more enjoyable to play than StS. Also once you beat a run you unlock the first of 25 Covenant ranks that make runs so much harder and I haven't been able to beat the first one yet :[

I've been using GeForce Now to play Monster Train in bed on my phone for the past couple of nights and it works incredibly well for that too. There's some weirdness with the mouse controls like I've accidentally chosen an upgrade or played a card when you would normally hover over something to see what it does but it's pretty much perfect for a game like this.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
As someone said a few posts back, StS and Monster Train are definitely 8/10 and 10/10 games. However, the nice thing about them is that depending on your own preferences, which one is the 10 and which one is 8 is entirely up to you. They're both pretty much the peak of the genre right now, just in very different ways.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Tossing out a recommendation for Unheard
https://store.steampowered.com/app/942970/Unheard/

it's a mystery game based on positional audio. The gameplay loop is you move a 'ghost' around a map of a crime scene, using scrubbing tools to advance and play back the timeline of the crime, using the information you glean from hearing people talk to figure out who is who, what motives are, and how things went down.

I beat it in about 4 hours and thoroughly enjoyed myself - for $4 it's a great deal.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Ys IX is listed.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

I don't know what Nacon is but if they're announcing a new Spiders game there then I'm interested. This starts in...15 minutes I think?

https://twitter.com/Nacon/status/1280109539799511041?s=20

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
Is it me or are the Empire much less threatening than the local wildlife in Jedi Fallen Order?

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Anno posted:

I don't know what Nacon is but if they're announcing a new Spiders game there then I'm interested. This starts in...15 minutes I think?

https://twitter.com/Nacon/status/1280109539799511041?s=20

I am watching a streamer watch this and the conclusion is that way too many people bought Slay the Spire.

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug

Fargin Icehole posted:

Is it me or are the Empire much less threatening than the local wildlife in Jedi Fallen Order?

Fair point. Yeah, some of them can be tough especially in groups, those cork-sucking bastages. At least with troopers you can reflect blaster shots back at range.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
Chair F*cking Simulator

Video games truly are art.

LionEyez
Aug 17, 2014

Mierenneuker posted:

I am watching a streamer watch this and the conclusion is that way too many people bought Slay the Spire.

Looking at this, it doesn't seem to include any games I'm interested in. Also never heard of Nacon. Google suggests they make controllers or something?

You don't like Slay the Spire or is it the inevitable slew of copy cats like with other smash indie hits?

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Slay the Spire superficially looks easy to imitate enough... but very few teams are up for spending years and years balancing their game to get to where StS is (and StS was wildly successful right out of the gate so the devs had the time and resources to do it).

Richard Garfield (interviewed in the video) is totally right that fat deck makes for better gameplay and he may not have played StS enough to see that fat deck is eventually optimal in that game, or maybe he knows it and just chose not to mention StS idk. It looks like in Roguebook (releasing May 2021 sooo a long way off) they're giving stat buffs to fatter decks which is something One Step From Eden implemented. In OSFE's case the stat buffs got so out of control that the optimal strategy was picking up half the cards in the game and burning every boss in ten seconds or so (eventually they capped stat growth at 20 card decks)

No Wave fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Jul 7, 2020

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

LionEyez posted:

You don't like Slay the Spire or is it the inevitable slew of copy cats like with other smash indie hits?

Number two. Deck building games are the new (yet kinda old) hotness and this presentation had two of them.

But it's not Slay the Spire's fault. You are to blame, Kingdom Hearts: Chain of Memories!

threelemmings
Dec 4, 2007
A jellyfish!
Same as in board games, lots of people wanted to copy/improve upon the og deckbuilder Dominions, but between it's simplicity of design and rigorous playtesting and ability to balance card engine strategies against the simple "big money" strat, people don't realize how tightly you have to design both your cards and the structure of the game itself. Nothing's topped it in over a decade.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

New Humble Bundle with some Telltale games, Oxenfree and Heaven's Vault.
https://www.humblebundle.com/games/jdrf-adventure

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

New Humble Bundle with some Telltale games, Oxenfree and Heaven's Vault.
https://www.humblebundle.com/games/jdrf-adventure

Is Heaven’s Vault any good? Because otherwise... yikes. The good telltale games are the kind of thing where basically anyone interested in them already owns them, so I’m not really sure who this bundle is for.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Remember the announcement that they're remastering Kingdoms of Amalur?

They just announced that they're also releasing an expansion for it in 2021.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JpkFM5TuL58

Weird.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Oxenfree is worth the $1 tier at the very least.

GrandpaPants fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Jul 7, 2020

LionEyez
Aug 17, 2014

Mierenneuker posted:

Number two. Deck building games are the new (yet kinda old) hotness and this presentation had two of them.

But it's not Slay the Spire's fault. You are to blame, Kingdom Hearts: Chain of Memories!

I was gonna say Metal Gear Ac!d, but it seems Chain of Memories was released a month earlier so touché, Mr. Antfucker.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Is Heaven’s Vault any good? Because otherwise... yikes. The good telltale games are the kind of thing where basically anyone interested in them already owns them, so I’m not really sure who this bundle is for.

It's funny, I know someone who's just getting into gaming now as an adult and is into more narrative stuff and thought "oh this is perfect for them" -- but yeah, zero personal interest lol

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Veotax posted:

Weird.

Hell yes. Hopefully this leads to a sequel, I really enjoyed the first game.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I love that THQ is continuing its proud legacy of stupidly named remasters.

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Think I took a wrong turn...

Mierenneuker posted:

Riku was such a bastard in that game. But yeah Chain of Memories was sweet.

I recommend anyone into these deckbuilders to try that Runeterra F2P TCG for the expeditions draft mode. It's basically the Hearthstone dungeon run but for PVP.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

exquisite tea posted:

I love that THQ is continuing its proud legacy of stupidly named remasters.
Re-ckoning would have been stupider and also more clever given the game's history.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Well my trip through rear end Creed 2 is at an end, what a ride. I'll give my thoughts but wont spoiler them as this game is old as poo poo, so if you haven't played the game, skip my post.

rear end Creed 1 felt like a proof of concept and rear end Creed 2 was the finished product, so much better than the first. The graphics, setting, characters, dialogue, all get 12/10. Ezio is one of the best videogame characters I've played as, well done Ubisoft! (Requiescat in Pace!) The modern day conspiracy theory Desmond plotline is bullshit, insane and detracts from an otherwise enjoyable game. Whoever came up with all that is full of themselves and tried way too hard, in my opinion. Luckily you can gloss over all that. I do love how even Ezio is just as confused as us at the end when "Minerva" tells him to shut up so she can speak through him and deliver the message of the end of the world, or some poo poo, I really don't care. I think even Ezio was tired of that bullshit at that point.

I liked the whole "rebuild your villa" thing with getting money and upgrading the town, that was cool. Hopefully I get more stuff like that in the later games. I got all the codex pages, it was cool to see what happened to Altair through his diary. I even did all the drat glyph puzzles, but had to google up some of the harder ones towards the end. Whoever came up with those was evil. "The Truth" video of the naked people running around was dumb and I don't care to even try and figure out what it was. If somebody wants to reply with a quick TLDR, that would be cool, but I can't be bothered to google it. I got everything in the game if it showed up on the map, but gently caress finding all the feathers. What the hell does that do anyway? Probably gives you same dumb sword or armor which is irrelevant anyway that late in the game.

On to brotherhood! Looking forward to playing more of Ezio. I think some have posted here that Brotherhood is their favorite of the old school rear end Creed games, so I'm looking forward to it. Is there any hot tips before I get going? I appreciated the post from somebody telling me to wait for the wall climb upgrade in Venice before atempting all the lookout towers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Veotax posted:

Weird.

Did they get the state of Rhode Island to fund the remaster? Maybe it'll turn out better this time.

I know I bought that game but I don't remember it at all. Didn't hate it, but it was largely forgettable - for me, at least