Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo
Having to dig through mounds of un-bought Cardinals LPs to ever to get to the Brian Jonestown Massacre and My Bloody Valentine albums is an unforgivable sin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

achillesforever6 posted:

he actually puts LGBTQA characters in the work... I always wanted urban fantasies with the Greek Gods and all that jazz... the Gods are all complete assholes for the most part... he also digs deep in finding mythological beings.

my friend let me tell you about Fate/stay night

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

Oh god why does it burn?!

WeedlordGoku69 posted:

my friend let me tell you about Fate/stay night

Oh no.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

i'm not actually going to do that, i have seen the derails Fate causes, i just find it really funny that those books basically just sound like Fate for kids

i actually might have to check them out on the strength of that, sounds like my poo poo

e: that said, since we're probably going to go there anyways, Kinoko Nasu is also way better at being progressive than Rowling. there's multiple LGBT characters in Fate who are handled totally fine, and an entire massive chunk of the original work is basically just him shaking rape apologists by the shoulders and going FUUUUUUCK YOOOOOOU at them. it has aspects that make it problematic, hence why it tends to cause derails, I am already aware, we do not need to kvetch about it for pages and pages in the absolute worst possible thread for that, but it does a lot of poo poo right too, whereas HP is just fractally awful.

WeedlordGoku69 fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Jul 7, 2020

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

Alan Smithee posted:

the funny thing is i've literally not listened to his music once. There's a chance it was on when I walked around a CVS or waited for a table at the Cheesecake Factory but I wouldn't know it if I did. I just think of Summer of 69 and the Robin Hood '91 song when his name comes up

Probably the only song of his you might have heard is When the Stars Go Blue. It was covered and turned into a moderate adult contemporary/country hit. And that's how it filtered into stores.

Like, the dude gets a ton of press, but he doesn't get much play. And yeah, now with his latest rear end in a top hat move (apologising in public instead of talking to the people you wronged)...

gently caress it. Listen to Karen Elson's Double Roses. It's a great album. Call Your Name is a pretty good track. Let's not give some jackass any more press.

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

Alan Smithee posted:

the funny thing is i've literally not listened to his music once. There's a chance it was on when I walked around a CVS or waited for a table at the Cheesecake Factory but I wouldn't know it if I did. I just think of Summer of 69 and the Robin Hood '91 song when his name comes up

Ryan Adams was huge in the alt.country scene early in the 2000s. He was omnipresent, partly because he was so prolific, tending to put out two albums a year. But outside of alt.country, most of his fame is through Mandy Moore and Taylor Swift.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

All this talk about Rick Riordan and no mention of the The Lightning Thief musical? For shame!

Oh things couldn't be worse when your folks run the universe: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SCL0SWFqCdo

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

Thandie Newton did an incredibly good and deep interview with Vulture thats well worth checking out.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Just came here to post this, she holds nothing back, especially when talking about Tom Cruise's superzit.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Obviously I want Thandie Newton to live a long and happy life, but I also really want to know what poo poo is in her "little black book" that holds nothing back if this interview is apparently her idea of holding things back.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
It's weird a lot of people singled out the Tom Cruise thing for what seemed like a pretty standard Tom Cruise story (and it's never going to reach the gold standard of that Bronson Pinchot story about him) when there's better things to wonder about, like John Woo deciding not to speak English or Eddie Murphy finding videos of black women beating up their husbands so funny that he wrote NORBIT.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

DrVenkman posted:

It's weird a lot of people singled out the Tom Cruise thing for what seemed like a pretty standard Tom Cruise story (and it's never going to reach the gold standard of that Bronson Pinchot story about him) when there's better things to wonder about, like John Woo deciding not to speak English or Eddie Murphy finding videos of black women beating up their husbands so funny that he wrote NORBIT.

I mostly agree, but I get why people focus on the story where Tom Cruise instantly grows a huge zit out of anger, because honestly, the idea of him having any sort of skin problems seems weird.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Skwirl posted:

I mostly agree, but I get why people focus on the story where Tom Cruise instantly grows a huge zit out of anger, because honestly, the idea of him having any sort of skin problems seems weird.

It's like the lamest version of the Incredible Hulk. "Don't make me angry.... casting agents don't like me when I'm angry..."

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

DrVenkman posted:

For those who don’t know it

quote:

BP: We didn’t know it was going to be a big hit. We thought Tom [Cruise] was the biggest bore on the face of the Earth. He had spent some formative time with Sean Penn—we were all very young at the time, Tom was 20, I was 23. Tom had picked up this knack of calling everyone by their character names, because that would probably make your performance better, and I don’t agree with that. I think that acting is acting, and the rest of the time, you should be you, but he called us all by our character names. He was tense and made constant, constant unrelated homophobic comments, like, “You want some ice cream, in case there are no gay people there?” I mean, his lingo was larded with the most… There was no basis for it. It was like, “It’s a nice day, I’m glad there are no gay people standing here.” Very, very strange.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Jesus loving Christ

https://twitter.com/Jason24cf/status/1278406391661821952?s=20

From the comments it seems the body double was the one who had her career threatened.

Air Skwirl fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Jul 8, 2020

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

Coffee And Pie posted:

For those who don’t know it

Tom Cruise is definitely attracted to men

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Skwirl posted:

Jesus loving Christ

From the comments it seems the body double was the one who had her career threatened.

I was about to say I am fairly sure Gal Gadot could literally break Joss Whedon in half.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

I was about to say I am fairly sure Gal Gadot could literally break Joss Whedon in half.

It's also pointed out somewhere this exact same scene happens in one of his Avengers movies between Black Widow and post-hulked out Bruce Banner. I don't remember it but I also haven't seen either of the first two Avengers films since the were in theaters.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
What’s going on in that picture?

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Its slighty different in Age of Ultron. Like I think its Widow pulling Banner with her over a bar and them landing like that. And they have a romantic thing established already at that stage so its less "hahaha awkward" and more "uh, should we talk?"

But its still the same basic faceplant "gag", yeah. Whedon thinks its very funny.

Coffee And Pie posted:

Flash like shoves Wonder Woman out of the way of an attack or something and then they land in that position and Flash gets all awkward because of boobies.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Coffee And Pie posted:

Something happened during a fight that made Flash (who I think is like a loving teenager in the film) fall on top of Wonder Woman.

Oh god, the "release the Snyder cut" people have been right all along, because I just realized that's the only way I'm rewatching that movie.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I think my mass effect is broken

STAC Goat posted:

Flash like shoves Wonder Woman out of the way of an attack or something and then they land in that position and Flash gets all awkward because of boobies.

Also after Flash had already helped Wonder Woman moments earlier when he plinked her sword at her when she was fighting a Parademon. Because in Whedon-world, strong women always need to be rescued by awkward boymans.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Vagabundo posted:

Also after Flash had already helped Wonder Woman moments earlier when he plinked her sword at her when she was fighting a Parademon. Because in Whedon-world, strong women always need to be rescued by awkward boymans.

I'm not going to rewatch Serenity to find out, but this happened to Zoe a lot, didn't it?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Snowman_McK posted:

I'm not going to rewatch Serenity to find out, but this happened to Zoe a lot, didn't it?

yea, at least it helped that her designated savior boyman was her husband so it made sense for them to constantly be watching each other's back and all but yea

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I want to say Whedon just kind of does that a lot with men and women. Like Wash gets saved a lot and the doctor brother got saved by his sister a bunch and on Buffy the guy was basically the weakest of the bunch. So I think he does "X saves Y and there's emotion" a bunch as just a general crutch.

But then its compounded by his other misogynistic tendencies.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
He berated the boy man on Buffy for getting swole. Nicholas Brendan said Whedon screamed and yelled at him every day of season 4s filming because Xander was supposed to be a doughy nerd. This triggered his depression and he became a pretty a pretty severe alcoholic.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Rhyno posted:

He berated the boy man on Buffy for getting swole. Nicholas Brendan said Whedon screamed and yelled at him every day of season 4s filming because Xander was supposed to be a doughy nerd. This triggered his depression and he became a pretty a pretty severe alcoholic.

Pretty much everyone either keeps quiet about Joss' behavior on set or outs him as a huge rear end in a top hat.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Rhyno posted:

Do you have a source on that? I'm not doubting you at all, but I've been trying to convince some hardcore Whedon fan friends of mine that he sucks lately, and my google fu is failing me on this, with "Nicholas Brendan alcoholism depression" all returning more recent stories.

Not that I judge him. I'm an alcoholic (83 days sober today) who suffers from depression myself. (Although I'm also seeing stories involving him and domestic violence so...yikes.) Just trying to get some sources to back up why Whedon is just the worst.

peer
Jan 17, 2004

this is not what I wanted

thrawn527 posted:

Not that I judge him. I'm an alcoholic (83 days sober today)

hey, well done

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

thrawn527 posted:

Do you have a source on that? I'm not doubting you at all, but I've been trying to convince some hardcore Whedon fan friends of mine that he sucks lately, and my google fu is failing me on this, with "Nicholas Brendan alcoholism depression" all returning more recent stories.

Not that I judge him. I'm an alcoholic (83 days sober today) who suffers from depression myself. (Although I'm also seeing stories involving him and domestic violence so...yikes.) Just trying to get some sources to back up why Whedon is just the worst.

Brendan told a room of about 40 people at WizardWorld Chicago. He's become quiet about more recently.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Skwirl posted:

Jesus loving Christ

I remember someone trying to claim this was proof of Male Gaze, when it might have been easily cut except for the fact that Gadot smirked as she was getting up was apparently spontaneous and therefore too good to cut.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Isn't that scene her getting knocked down and basically going, "heck yeah now this is a good fight".

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Vintersorg posted:

Isn't that scene her getting knocked down and basically going, "heck yeah now this is a good fight".

Yeah, the smile makes the scene. I never noticed the angle being referred to, until it was just pointed out.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

I think that shot is fine in context, especially with the smile, but Wonder Woman's costume alone is proof of male gaze.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Skwirl posted:

I think that shot is fine in context, especially with the smile, but Wonder Woman's costume alone is proof of male gaze.
whereas 300's costumes are proof of male gays

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

Martman posted:

whereas 300's costumes are proof of male gays

You're joking, but their physique is absolutely defined by male gaze. The over-the-top muscular cut body is a male power fantasy not a woman's sexual fantasy. It appears homoerotic because men are the target audience for the power fantasy the spartans embody (literally).

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
A critical component of the male gaze is how it objectifies its target. Wonder Woman is hardly presented as inhabiting a passive role.

edit: to be clear, I am referring to the beevis shot

Schwarzwald fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Jul 10, 2020

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!

Schwarzwald posted:

A critical component of the male gaze is how it objectifies its target. Wonder Woman is hardly presented as inhabiting a passive role.

I mean, it doesn't take a very deep study of Joss Whedon's work to think that he fetishizes the "bad-rear end sexy girl" stereotype in pretty much everything he's ever done. Maybe that's not objectification, but women in Joss Whedon directed media are heavily fetishized.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

KitConstantine posted:

The over-the-top muscular cut body is a male power fantasy not a woman's sexual fantasy. It appears homoerotic because men are the target audience for the power fantasy the spartans embody (literally).
I feel pretty weird about "males are into A, whereas females are aroused by B" arguments. What is this based on?

Further, if it's a power fantasy of men rather than a sexual one, wouldn't the relevant gaze be from the point of view of the Spartans themselves? Someone having a power fantasy wants to be a Spartan, not ogle them

EDIT: Oof sorry I kinda forgot which thread I was in, probably not the best place for this side-track

Martman fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Jul 10, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

The concept of gaze and male gaze is a lot more complicated than “horny images”