Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Taintrunner posted:

the greatest crime was not putting Furiosa in the Mad Max game

That was developed separately from the film and only shoehorned Fury Road lore in toward the end of its development cycle. There's a really interesting tell-all article on its production that's pretty enlightening.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

feedmyleg posted:

Stories shouldn't exist to serve circumstances. That's how you wind up with the Star Wars sequels.

That's a pretty broad philosophy and of course I agree with it for the most part but.....man. This is one of the best characters and best performances of the past few decades so why go out of your way to not bring her back? I don't agree with it, but obviously Miller has earned the benefit of the doubt. Hopefully he hits another casting home run.

Antifa Poltergeist
Jun 3, 2004

"We're not laughing with you, we're laughing at you"

feedmyleg posted:

That was developed separately from the film and only shoehorned Fury Road lore in toward the end of its development cycle. There's a really interesting tell-all article on its production that's pretty enlightening.

It's also a pretty fun game and driving around is a blast.just don't do all the mine sweeper activities.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Basebf555 posted:

Because it was a fantastic performance and Theron is great? I'm not seeing a downside.

The downside would be him compromising his art for the sake of trying to emulate the expectations and success from Fury Road. I'd like a Theron focussed Furiosa film sure, but I want to see the uncompromised version of what interests him more.

Lovely Joe Stalin fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Jul 7, 2020

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

feedmyleg posted:

What's interesting is I actually played it before seeing Fury Road, so I can't say it seemed like it was shoehorned in. I really need to revisit it.

Antifa Poltergeist posted:

It's also a pretty fun game and driving around is a blast.just don't do all the mine sweeper activities.

Seriously, just do the bare minimum to complete the game because there is no New Game+

I got to the end and all I had to do was the stupid races, so I didn't even get to enjoy Mad Max's iconic gear.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

If your reaction to Fury Road is that Charlize Theron as Furiosa resonated with audiences so much better than expected that you're willing to call the protagonist of a movie a "breakout character," then the way to capitalize on that is to build a sequel around her, not wedge her into a part that was not intended to be played by someone decades older than the character.

Like, you can consider it dumb to not take advantage of Charlize Theron being good as Furiosa, but you gotta be willing to argue that she was so good that George Miller needed to rip up his planned prequel and go back to square one.

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
and who says Theron can't have a cameo during a flash-forward within the prequel's narrative

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Sir Kodiak posted:

Like, you can consider it dumb to not take advantage of Charlize Theron being good as Furiosa, but you gotta be willing to argue that she was so good that George Miller needed to rip up his planned prequel and go back to square one.

Yes that's what I'm arguing. From what I've seen it's not like he had a full script, just outlines.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Basebf555 posted:

Yes that's what I'm arguing. From what I've seen it's not like he had a full script, just outlines.

That's pretty much how all of the Mad Max movies were filmed

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

Fair enough. Re-reading one of the posts you made while I was composing mine, I caught this:

Basebf555 posted:

This is one of the best characters and best performances of the past few decades

And, yeah, if you believe this I can see why you think this is such a mistake. It just isn't my reaction in regards to either element. I thought she was good and would be happy to see her in the role again, but it didn't hit me as lighting in a bottle the way it apparently did for you.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Sir Kodiak posted:

And, yeah, if you believe this I can see why you think this is such a mistake. It just isn't my reaction in regards to either element. I thought she was good and would be happy to see her in the role again, but it didn't hit me as lighting in a bottle the way it apparently did for you.

Part of it is that Miller obviously agrees that Furiosa is a character that is worth more exploration. If he was just done with the character and wanted to do a totally unrelated story, so be it, but he obviously thinks the character is good enough to warrant centering another movie around her. Is making it a prequel so crucial to what he wants to do that it's worth replacing the person who's proven they can absolutely own that role with someone who hasn't? Obviously he thinks so, and I hope he's right.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Yea uh good luck with the prequel

I loved fury road but If the reaction to the prequel comic is any indication it’s gonna be rough

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Or we can just wait and see. I mean I like Theron, but she's 44, and probably really isn't the right fit for a 17-25 year old Furiosa becoming Furiosa.

Also as mentioned above, there's no reason she can't return to tell the tales. So far 3/4 Mad Max movies are about a black clad stranger coming out of the wastelands to deliver people to a new civilization, including two voice-overs that indicate it's oral history.

Why yes, I watched all 4 movies a couple weeks ago.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Basebf555 posted:

From what I've seen it's not like he had a full script, just outlines.

He's definitely stated that there is a complete script for it.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
There's also the question of how much of the character's success was her and how much was the writing and direction. Obviously the answer is that it's a combination, but I don't think there's any particular reason not to have faith that Miller can cast and direct another talented actor in the role and have it work. He did it with Hardy when a lot of people thought Mad Max could only be Gibson.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

feedmyleg posted:

He's definitely stated that there is a complete script for it.

He does now, but Fury Road came out 4 years ago. At the time of it's release, when it was clear that Furiosa was becoming one of those instant classic, iconic characters, I don't think he had a script. Maybe I'm wrong.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
In '17 Theron talked about it having a finished script, so I don't think it was finalized until after the film released.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Man gently caress a furiosa prequel

Give us an Auntie Entity sequel

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

Part of it is that Miller obviously agrees that Furiosa is a character that is worth more exploration. If he was just done with the character and wanted to do a totally unrelated story, so be it, but he obviously thinks the character is good enough to warrant centering another movie around her. Is making it a prequel so crucial to what he wants to do that it's worth replacing the person who's proven they can absolutely own that role with someone who hasn't? Obviously he thinks so, and I hope he's right.

Kinda surprised we're still on this particular argument. It seems like you'd accepted that making it a prequel would obviously change the role. After all, you agreed you were asking George Miller to go back to square one. But now you're back to this "Is making it a prequel so crucial to what he wants to do..." thing. Like, yes, you already accepted it was likely crucial. That's why you agreed he should start all over again if he wanted to stick with Charlize Theron.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Sir Kodiak posted:

Kinda surprised we're still on this particular argument. It seems like you'd accepted that making it a prequel would obviously change the role. After all, you agreed you were asking George Miller to go back to square one. But now you're back to this "Is making it a prequel so crucial to what he wants to do..." thing. Like, yes, you already accepted it was likely crucial. That's why you agreed he should start all over again if he wanted to stick with Charlize Theron.

I'm not in Miller's head, I don't now if he feels the same way about Theron's performance that I do. So maybe to him recasting Furiosa just isn't a big deal. But for me it would be something I'd seriously weigh out to decide whether or not recasting that role in order to tell this particular story is worth the potential downside of not being able to hit on another Theron-level performance. I don't know if that's even something he considered or if he just doesn't see it as an issue at all because of his confidence as an artist and in his ability to find the right actress to play the part.

I understand the absurdity of me putting myself in Miller's shoes as if my opinions on what he should do are relevant but that's part of what this forum is all about isn't it? You have to hear my stupid opinions.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Nonono, this forum is about my opinions.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Yeah, to be clear, when you describe Theron's performance as a lightning bolt straight from Zeus's rear end to Miller's celluloid, that wasn't my reaction to the movie, but I get saying he should start over from square on to see if he can catch that in a bottle again. It's just the waffling about how maybe the movie being set decades earlier in the character's life isn't relevant to the role that I don't get and don't really see as, like, a matter of taste or opinion.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Sir Kodiak posted:

Yeah, to be clear, when you describe Theron's performance as a lightning bolt straight from Zeus's rear end to Miller's celluloid, that wasn't my reaction to the movie, but I get saying he should start over from square on to see if he can catch that in a bottle again. It's just the waffling about how maybe the movie being set decades earlier in the character's life isn't relevant to the role that I don't get and don't really see as, like, a matter of taste or opinion.

I mean, of course anything that Miller says is relevant to the character is relevant, he's writing the story and I have no doubt whatever he wants to do with a Furiosa prequel would be an interesting new exploration of the character. But I have that same confidence that he could do the same thing without making it a prequel, AND still have the benefit of Theron in the role. Which would be my preference.

Antifa Poltergeist
Jun 3, 2004

"We're not laughing with you, we're laughing at you"

I mean i get that a sequel with furiosa would be just more of the same caracther in new circunstances, and theres probably not a whole lot of room for an arc better than the one she had in fury road.
But!
A prequel would be like, she being kidnapped, growing in the citadel and joining and earning the respect of imortan and the warboys.that still leaves her at the end of the movie as a champion of this opressor, no matter how we know shes planning to escape, whitout that payoff.
Its like if they made a prequel of conan and they only showed his family being killed, him growing up as slave and then as arena champion.
Which, ya know, it could work.if it was a arnold movie.but it wouldnt be as fun or satisfying a arc, imho.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

I mean, of course anything that Miller says is relevant to the character is relevant, he's writing the story and I have no doubt whatever he wants to do with a Furiosa prequel would be an interesting new exploration of the character. But I have that same confidence that he could do the same thing without making it a prequel, AND still have the benefit of Theron in the role. Which would be my preference.

One of the things I like about George Miller is that he seems dedicated to executing his own vision. I'm not as confident as you are that he'd make as good a movie if instead of starting with an idea he found compelling he had to back-fill the story to justify re-using a particular actor. It is unclear to me why a director who excels at the former would necessarily produce an equally-good work doing the latter.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Babe: Pig in the Wasteland

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Alan Smithee posted:

Babe: Pig in the Wasteland

Ah, so it's the story of how he ended up in Barter Town

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

This sounds like a terrible idea

https://twitter.com/drmovienews1/status/1280412128676102145?s=21

I also thought that Legacy cost too much and didn’t make enough to justify a sequel?

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Wait why not Cillian Murphy he was set up by Legacy for a sequel and he's so much better than Leto :mad:

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

FlamingLiberal posted:

I also thought that Legacy cost too much and didn’t make enough to justify a sequel?

i have a distinct feeling it worked out kind of similarly to the original movie, where it didn't set the world on fire at first but it kept making money on home media, streaming, etc consistently for a pretty long time. and especially with COVID making theaters' future shaky, I feel like the calculus is getting to where that's considered important.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
I just want a movie with Cillian Murphy and Gillian Jacobs

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
I don't believe any of that until I hear it from an actual source who doesn't say "reportedly, would like to, hopeful".

Especially not "Jared Leto headlining a blockbuster again".

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

FlamingLiberal posted:

This sounds like a terrible idea

https://twitter.com/drmovienews1/status/1280412128676102145?s=21

Disney spent a fortune on a state-of-the-art Tron coaster in Shanghai Disneyland and they're in the middle of building another one at Disney World. They want to promote those and justify putting one each at the rest of the parks.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
...why does Leto keep getting opportunities like that, anyways?

like, I genuinely don't think he's a bad actor, he's been fine-to-great in everything I've seen him in except Blade Runner 2049 (and there, he was clearly just a really loving bad fit for the part, and it made huge amounts of sense when I found out that Niander Wallace was written for Bowie instead).

but also, like, everyone on planet earth hates him. it doesn't matter how good of an actor someone is, if their very presence in a movie will inherently make it get worse reactions and make less money. i genuinely do not understand why he's still getting considered for these parts unless he has, like, some film execs' Epstein tapes or something.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I bet he's really charming in the room. He's a rock star and a cult leader, after all. Executives probably just want to hang out with him and don't care that he's a super-creep who nobody but teenage girls likes watching.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

feedmyleg posted:

Nonono, this forum is about my opinions.

Why do you have to challenge him. Just say “yeah I dunno I think it could work honestly.” And move on.

Are people not allowed to be disappointed?

Like I am disappointed that they’re making Tron 3, something I’ve wanted for a while , with....Jerad Leto of all people. I guess I just don’t understand the vision of....whoever the hell is making this thing.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
...cult leader?

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

CelticPredator posted:

Why do you have to challenge him. Just say “yeah I dunno I think it could work honestly.” And move on.

Are people not allowed to be disappointed?

Because we're on a discussion forum?

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

WeedlordGoku69 posted:

...cult leader?

Not a joke!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I'm really curious to see how these "lets edit some footage we already have" type re-releases go. There's more than one film said to have been killed by committee on the cutting room floor, and now the money is actually being out where the mouth was