Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xombie
May 22, 2004

Soul Thrashing
Black Sorcery

A big flaming stink posted:

i am legit trying to drill down into what you actually believe regarding how the democrats ought to react to hypothetical endorsements from objectively terrible people

dubya is legit one of the worst people alive, in my opinion. Do you agree or disagree with the statement that if Dubya or a prominent member of his administration endorses biden, the biden campaign should not tout those endorsements?

Good thing for you I already posted my opinion:

Xombie posted:

The Democrats should not stop any Republican from voting for Biden. Because getting the most votes is the goal of an election.

Conveniently, this is already what's happening in reality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.
https://twitter.com/atrupar/status/1280588663106211846

what a loving dumb ghoul.

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

'grandmas lived long enough' hasn't worked, so they're going with 'do you really need two kids?'

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Seven Hundred Bee posted:

'grandmas lived long enough' hasn't worked, so they're going with 'do you really need two kids?'

https://twitter.com/atrupar/status/1280593596287266816
https://twitter.com/atrupar/status/1280593833600921601

yep

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Xombie posted:

this appears to not so much be an answer to the question as it does to be a massive dodge?

i mean, it's not -hard- not to brag about having the endorsement of someone with the blood of millions on his hands. it's piss easy. the bragging about it involves more effort than not bragging about it. someone has to go out of their way to say that the guy you spent from 2002 to ~2015 considering the functional equivalent of the antichrist is good and cool now.

this is not a huge ask, why the continued evasiveness

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!

He closes out by doubling down on his own joke. "Great job on the therapeutics. And we'll hold you to that. September, right?" I thought he was referring to the efficacy of the therapy, rather than to hold the scientist man to a promise he tactfully avoided.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Xombie posted:

At the risk of inserting myself late into the discussion, I think the question is whether they should actively tout it. That is, if they advertise that Bush is on board with Biden, they may gain some Republican/conservative support, but how much will they lose on the left? And moreover, if someone even worse, Kissinger or Hitler Jr or whoever, decide to endorse Biden, do the Dems have a responsibility to reject or push back? If so, where are you drawing that line?

Xombie
May 22, 2004

Soul Thrashing
Black Sorcery

I want to know who he thinks St. Louis is named for.

Uncleanly Cleric
Oct 17, 2005

Trump admin is formally withdrawing us from WHO.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/07/07/politics/us-withdrawing-world-trade-organization/index.html

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

You’re not stupid enough to think the Biden campaign making traditional ‘oh yes sure we’ll consider anyone, GOP included’ is anything more than platitudes to try to look reasonable.

So why did you make that post?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Decision effective mid-2021, so plenty of time for the next administration to revisit it.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

WHO let the dogs out.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Xombie posted:

apparently its some 13th century king of france who is also a saint when the french first colonized it and the name stuck.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Louis_IX_of_France

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...

Xombie posted:

I had to look it up, so: Louis IX of France, not that bad as medieval kings go but still, medieval king with a couple of Crusades so not that great to be honest.

Xombie
May 22, 2004

Soul Thrashing
Black Sorcery

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!! posted:

this appears to not so much be an answer to the question as it does to be a massive dodge?

i mean, it's not -hard- not to brag about having the endorsement of someone with the blood of millions on his hands. it's piss easy. the bragging about it involves more effort than not bragging about it. someone has to go out of their way to say that the guy you spent from 2002 to ~2015 considering the functional equivalent of the antichrist is good and cool now.

this is not a huge ask, why the continued evasiveness

There's nothing to evade. Because you're right, it's easy not to do, and that's why they haven't done it. This entire conversation is about the accusation that they've "given the keys" to never-Trumpers. The reality is, they haven't. Any situation where they have is fantasy, based on the assumption that they would if they could. But there's no real basis to that.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Rust Martialis posted:

You’re not stupid enough to think the Biden campaign making traditional ‘oh yes sure we’ll consider anyone, GOP included’ is anything more than platitudes to try to look reasonable.

I, too, don't remember Obama, Biden's more-left-of-center-than-Biden-himself-is former boss, appointing Republicans to his cabinet.

marshmonkey
Dec 5, 2003

I was sick of looking
at your stupid avatar
so
have a cool cat instead.

:v:
Switchblade Switcharoo

HE LIVES

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Rust Martialis posted:

hey, yeah, what kind of moron would figure that Joe Biden would do something like actively campaign for increased republican power at the expense of the democratic party, particularly mid-election cycle

how dumb would you have to be to think that could happen

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

https://twitter.com/citypages/status/1279543058892230656

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
e: dammit zp

Rust Martialis posted:

this claim is not self-evident to me, especially since biden himself campaigned for a republican in the recent pass.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Unkempt posted:

I had to look it up, so: Louis IX of France, not that bad as medieval kings go but still, medieval king with a couple of Crusades so not that great to be honest.

pretty much. so a medieval king than. sounds about right. i always assumed it was one of the later kings or some Jesuit who got killed in the americas.

Xombie
May 22, 2004

Soul Thrashing
Black Sorcery

Majorian posted:

I, too, don't remember Obama, Biden's more-left-of-center-than-Biden-himself-is former boss, appointing Republicans to his cabinet.

Do you remember every administration in the 100 years before Trump appointing people of the other party to their cabinet as well?

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Yeah, I was referring more to the Lincoln Project ads, which by their mere existence has seemed to convince a lot of people ITT that we believe we should be besties with David Frum and Rick Wilson.

But you do you, I guess.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Xombie posted:

There's nothing to evade. Because you're right, it's easy not to do, and that's why they haven't done it. This entire conversation is about the accusation that they've "given the keys" to never-Trumpers. The reality is, they haven't. Any situation where they have is fantasy, based on the assumption that they would if they could. But there's no real basis to that.

Xombie posted:

Do you remember every administration in the 100 years before Trump appointing people of the other party to their cabinet as well?

"they would never do such a thing" and "suggesting that doing that thing would be wrong is laughable naivete" are two angles that play really, REALLY badly together.

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo

Rust Martialis posted:

do we take Biden at his word or should we just project whatever we want onto him

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Xombie posted:

To the top cabinet-level positions, ie: State, Defense, Energy, Treasury, etc? I see a lot of that in Democratic administrations - considerably less in Republican ones, though. I wonder why that is...:thunk:

Majorian fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Jul 7, 2020

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Unoriginal Name posted:

do we take Biden at his word or should we just project whatever we want onto him

If you really think that Joe Biden would make a Republican his running mate, I'm not entirely sure you can be convinced of, well...anything, really.

I mean, I guess Joe Biden has also NOT explicitly said that he won't round up Bernie supporters into camps and sell them to zoos for meat, so maybe we should worry about that too :shrug:

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

Majorian posted:

Which of Obama’s appointments were “ghouls” as you claimed Biden was courting for such roles? LaHood? Huntsman? Again, your response contradicts your claim. Try again?

Sarcastro
Dec 28, 2000
Elite member of the Grammar Nazi Squad that

Unoriginal Name posted:

It's astonishing to me that anyone is still using that moment, where you have to cut out literally everything else he said to salvage the supposed point, as a gotcha like that.

Xombie
May 22, 2004

Soul Thrashing
Black Sorcery

Majorian posted:

To the top cabinet-level positions, ie: State, Defense, Energy, etc? I see a lot of that in Democratic administrations - considerably less in Republican ones, though. I wonder why that is...:thunk:

Yes.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_United_States_political_appointments_across_party_lines

Bush: Sec. of Transportation, Surgeon General, Secretary of the Army
Bush Sr.: Sec. of Education, Ambassador to the USSR
Reagan: Sec. of Education, Fed. Reserve Chairman
Ford: Sec. of the Treasury,
Ike: Sec. of Labor, Fed. Reserve Chairman, Sec. of Navy, Sec. of Treasury.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Rust Martialis posted:

Which of Obama’s appointments were “ghouls” as you claimed Biden was courting for such roles? LaHood? Huntsman?

Gates and Hagel come to mind. I don't know if Biden is courting them specifically for those roles, but given that he's already courting even worse people like Bill Kristol and Rick Wilson, it wouldn't surprise me.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Fritz Coldcockin posted:

If you really think that Joe Biden would make a Republican his running mate, I'm not entirely sure you can be convinced of, well...anything, really.

thank you, Salena Zito, for reminding us that we have to take candidates' campaigns seriously, but not literally.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

Unoriginal Name posted:

Is there really anyone stupid enough to take that at face value, though? In this terminally-online forum?

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Xombie posted:

Yes.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_United_States_political_appointments_across_party_lines

Bush: Sec. of Transportation, Surgeon General, Secretary of the Army
Bush Sr.: Sec. of Education, Ambassador to the USSR
Reagan: Sec. of Education, Fed. Reserve Chairman
Ford: Sec. of the Treasury,
Ike: Sec. of Labor, Fed. Reserve Chairman, Sec. of Navy, Sec. of Treasury.

Transportation and Education are pretty weak positions, especially in Republican administrations. The fact that you have to go back to Ford for one of the top positions kind of proves my point.

Rust Martialis posted:

Is there really anyone stupid enough to take that at face value, though? In this terminally-online forum?

The point is that if he's willing to say that, there's a good chance he's going to appoint some pretty conservative Republicans to important positions.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

thank you, Salena Zito, for reminding us that we have to take candidates' campaigns seriously, but not literally.

Thank you, YMB, for a flawed analogy that proves nothing, I guess?

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Rust Martialis posted:

Which of Obama’s appointments were “ghouls” as you claimed Biden was courting for such roles? LaHood? Huntsman? Again, your response contradicts your claim. Try again?

remember James Comey, the Republican Obama decided should be his head of domestic intelligence, and in so doing rendered himself more singularly responsible for the election of Donald Trump to President of the United States than any other person on the face of the planet

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005
E: Forget it.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

remember James Comey, the Republican Obama decided should be his head of domestic intelligence, and in so doing rendered himself more singularly responsible for the election of Donald Trump to President of the United States than any other person on the face of the planet

I'm confused; is "himself" referring to Comey or Obama? Because if you're insinuating that Obama is more responsible for Donald Trump than, say, the 60+ million people who voted for him, the godawfully terrible candidate he ran against, or the media that freely signal-boosted him, fuckin :laffo:

Fritz Coldcockin fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Jul 7, 2020

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

this is hillary erasure and i will not stand for it

Fritz Coldcockin posted:

I'm confused; is "himself" referring to Comey or Obama? Because if you're insinuating that Obama is more responsible for Donald Trump than, say, the 60+ million people who voted for him or the media that freely signal-boosted him, fuckin :laffo:

pretty sure the post was implying that obama was more responsible than any other single person.

which is again, pretty obviously wrong because, yknow, hillary

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Fritz Coldcockin posted:

I mean, I guess Joe Biden has also NOT explicitly said that he won't round up Bernie supporters into camps and sell them to zoos for meat, so maybe we should worry about that too :shrug:

I don't think he will but I think he would if he could get away with it.