Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

DeimosRising posted:

A far bigger factor than the gnarly, though not totally false, abortion argument is that leaded gasoline was banned in the 70s, and then lead in new plumbing, so by 1996 lead levels in blood in the US had dropped 70%. You can roughly see the same drop in crime rates a generation after banning tetraethyl in gas elsewhere too

Turns out Gotham doesn't need Batman once Scarecrow's machine was shut down after pumping low-grade Fear gas across the city for years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Lobok posted:

Turns out Gotham doesn't need Batman once Scarecrow's machine was shut down after pumping low-grade Fear gas across the city for years.

Nobody ever needed Batman and even Ras says the same thing when he tells Bruce his parents turned the entire city around and saved it from destruction by being normal drat humans who used their power, wealth and influence to help the city economically and socially and otherwise thus defeating the League the first time. And Bruce's decision is to be loving Batman.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

Lobok posted:

Scarecrow is just a straight Scooby-Doo movie villain now

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z6UVARUhXH4

It does not look like Batman is in this, but Elvira and Bill Nye are, so who needs Batman, anyway???

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Jared Leto seems like a perfectly fine actor who keeps getting cast in roles that he doesnt fit right and I've grown to hate him purely because he seems an indicative mark that the film will have problems since they probably also cast him wrong.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
https://twitter.com/DreadCentral/status/1280501853697069060

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

JFC gently caress JJ Abrams why him?

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
Leto Tron 3 and JJ Constantine are a power couple of monkey paw-rear end movie news.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Oh hell yeah. I love Constantine

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Gatts posted:

JFC gently caress JJ Abrams why him?

Because JJ Abrams is good at doing what studios want him to do: produce flashy, technically competent action movies that lack any kind of soul.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Tars Tarkas posted:

Scarecrow is just a straight Scooby-Doo movie villain now

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z6UVARUhXH4

It does not look like Batman is in this, but Elvira and Bill Nye are, so who needs Batman, anyway???

Batman has recruited Mystery Inc as auxillaries, it's canon.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Half the anger towards Suicide Squad was Leto's Joker barely being in the movie.

Also Keanu's Constantine was pretty cool, but mostly when the character was doing what the comic book version would, like threatening to sent a demon to heaven or snitching to the devil about his delinquent son.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

I won't watch it unless they make him being king shark's sub boyfriend dc film Canon

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I liked Constantine a lot. There was some stupid stuff but I think it's a solid movie.

I really hope we get Peter Stormare as the devil too. He was so good at that.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Matt Ryan is a much better Constantine though.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Codependent Poster posted:

I liked Constantine a lot. There was some stupid stuff but I think it's a solid movie.

I really hope we get Peter Stormare as the devil too. He was so good at that.

Also the casting of Gabriel was great too, Tilda Swinton was interesting. It kind of brings to mind the idea that Angels not only predate humans but also the concept of gender, her androgyny kind of sells the whole aspect of transcending humanity and being something divine, and her cold cruelty helped the whole idea that divine=godly, but not necessarily good.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

🎵 I'm blue
Yeah I'm a blue Shrek, guy
Step a foot in my swamp
And you're gonna die 🎵

The MSJ posted:

Half the anger towards Suicide Squad was Leto's Joker barely being in the movie.

I actually thought the movie screeched to a halt every time he appeared, but I wasn't really enjoying anything else anyway.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines

There doesn't seem to be any credible source for this. That site just credits "Murphy's Multiverse", which says "more exciting is the inference that Keanu will return" and then included some Keanu fan art. Screenrant has an article titled "Keanu Reeves Returns as Constantine in the DC Reboot We Want" in the headlines but if you click it, the headline is "Keanu Reeves Returns as Constantine in Gritty Reboot Fan Art".

ugh

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Pope Corky the IX posted:

I actually thought the movie screeched to a halt every time he appeared, but I wasn't really enjoying anything else anyway.

The film screeched to a halt every five minutes or so for a variety of reasons. It's a death march of a movie made vaguely watchable only by Robbie and Smith doing some genuinely impressive carrying to keep it from falling out of line and dying in the dirt. It would have worked better (but still been poo poo) if they'd jettisoned the rest of the cast entirely and made it a buddy duo.

The absolute last thing it needed was more of Leto.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

The film screeched to a halt every five minutes or so for a variety of reasons. It's a death march of a movie made vaguely watchable only by Robbie and Smith doing some genuinely impressive carrying to keep it from falling out of line and dying in the dirt. It would have worked better (but still been poo poo) if they'd jettisoned the rest of the cast entirely and made it a buddy duo.

I mean, sure, Will Smith was part of the cast but I think it's very generous to imply that he made some kinda effort to act in it.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
You probably won't find a bigger Keanu fan than me around here but I could do without him playing Constantine again. He's already doing a nostalgia run with Bill & Ted and probably more Matrix sequels so I'd be fine if he let someone else try their hand at Constantine.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Basebf555 posted:

You probably won't find a bigger Keanu fan than me around here but I could do without him playing Constantine again. He's already doing a nostalgia run with Bill & Ted and probably more Matrix sequels so I'd be fine if he let someone else try their hand at Constantine.

Time to bring back Johnny Mnemonic

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me
I really do wonder what happened behind the scenes that led to Smith getting dropped from SS2. AFAIK everyone else is coming back for it (everyone not named Leto that is).

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

muscles like this! posted:

Brad Pitt is teaming up with David Leitch for an action movie set on a Japanese bullet train, called Bullet Train. Apparently the plot is that Pitt is playing an American hitman on a train traveling the Japanese countryside and he discovers that there are other hitmen on the train as well.

theyre gonna put Imagine Dragons on this one too and it will still feel inappropriate

Arkhams Razor
Jun 10, 2009

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

I really do wonder what happened behind the scenes that led to Smith getting dropped from SS2. AFAIK everyone else is coming back for it (everyone not named Leto that is).
Pretty sure it was just a scheduling conflict. Although Elba was originally supposed to be replacing him, they changed his character specifically so that Smith could come back if he wants to, so the door isn't explicitly closed.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Alhazred posted:

I mean, sure, Will Smith was part of the cast but I think it's very generous to imply that he made some kinda effort to act in it.

Honestly, I haven't re-watched it since I saw it in the cinema, so that might just be a reflection of how poorly I thought of the rest of the cast.

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

FlamingLiberal posted:

This sounds like a terrible idea

https://twitter.com/drmovienews1/status/1280412128676102145?s=21

I also thought that Legacy cost too much and didn’t make enough to justify a sequel?

Not only did they greenlight a sequel, they had a script and a cast and were about to start building sets when they shut the whole thing down. It didn't fit into a post Star Wars and Marvel Disney, but I guess the troubles they've had with Star Wars made it an interesting property again?

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Gotta bring back Olivia Wilde and Garrett Hedlund if it’s a sequel and not a reboot, no?

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
If so, hopefully they've learned their lessons in the interim and decide to make Hedlund an interesting character that lets him do some real acting.

Though I'm going to go ahead and guess that it's a soft-reboot if they're ditching Murphy and "hope" Kosinski will return. To me that implies they're not using his script.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

ookiimarukochan posted:

Not only did they greenlight a sequel, they had a script and a cast and were about to start building sets when they shut the whole thing down. It didn't fit into a post Star Wars and Marvel Disney, but I guess the troubles they've had with Star Wars made it an interesting property again?

Wasn't it the failure of Tomorrowland that made Disney shut down production on Tron 3 because they thought any non-Marvel/Star Wars going forward was going to be a waste?

Hard to believe that Tomorrowland was such a huge passion project for Brad Bird. Or that anyone could feel any emotion about that movie at all.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I think that Tomorrowland was yet another film where the idea was a passion project for the director, but when it came to actually getting a script written it was rushed as hell.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Gatts posted:

Nobody ever needed Batman and even Ras says the same thing when he tells Bruce his parents turned the entire city around and saved it from destruction by being normal drat humans who used their power, wealth and influence to help the city economically and socially and otherwise thus defeating the League the first time. And Bruce's decision is to be loving Batman.

In fairness, he says it was their deaths that saved the city. So that's not really a solution that scales.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
So you're saying that letting the entire upper-class die is a bad strategy for helping the lower and middle-class? Hard disagree.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Jul 8, 2020

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
The Joker is a stupid character for babies and anyone not at Jim Belushi levels of acting is doing the character and every Batman fan an honor by considering the role. Yes, Jared Leto is better than the Joker.

This is late, but I always loved Ben Foster. From the jump, he enlivened whatever mediocre, bad, or okay films he was in. 30 Days of Night, 3:10 to Yuma...honestly Hell or High Water after rewatches is solid C+ or B- (it's totally fine), but he's fantastic in it (god are the two cops and their "connection" annoying, like Breaking Bad rejects, Jeff Bridges with that stupid mouth jammed full of cotton the whole movie).
I really would love to see him in like, every other movie, esp if he was doin some weird fuckin voice or act. Hell, there's an actor for the Joker (who also deserves better).

As for Guy Pearce, there's a lot to be said about his career (The Proposition is the best western of all time, and his character in Lawless was pretty amusing n stupid) but I will FOREVER honor him for basically being the only person actually acting/trying at all in Iron Man 3.
(sorry i know im dropping a lotta bombs here but i found that quippytalk script and the rest of the stupid movie excrutiating, that stupid big fight at the end...i have been known to enjoy Shane Black but only in certain films
My friends dragged me to it and i still kinda wish i could confront rdj and shake him down for the ticket price)

Punkin Spunkin fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Jul 8, 2020

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I mean, Pearce (and Crowe) peaked in LA Confidential but he's done some drat good work since. He's wildly engaging in Memento, especially.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
You're definitely right about Iron Man 3, without Pearce it would be totally unwatchable.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

feedmyleg posted:

I mean, Pearce (and Crowe) peaked in LA Confidential but he's done some drat good work since. He's wildly engaging in Memento, especially.
There's another one. There's prolly plenty of actors who couldve done that role well but I can't really imagine Edmund Exley as anyone else anymore. Ravenous was fun too.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

🎵 I'm blue
Yeah I'm a blue Shrek, guy
Step a foot in my swamp
And you're gonna die 🎵

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

The absolute last thing it needed was more of Leto.

Robbie seemed like she was trying pretty hard and succeeding, while Will Smith has played Will Smith for a while now. I guess he stopped trying anything else.

I'd still love to learn how that movie made it to theaters with three separate introductions for the characters. I think it was going through their dossiers, then prison scenes, then action shots with their names on the screen. I guess they really liked that scene in the first Guardians.

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002
Not really movie news, but I think it fits the theme of the thread:

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/ready-player-two-sets-november-publishing-date-1302284

I am extremely excited for this dumb poo poo

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Robbie seemed like she was trying pretty hard and succeeding, while Will Smith has played Will Smith for a while now. I guess he stopped trying anything else.

I'd still love to learn how that movie made it to theaters with three separate introductions for the characters. I think it was going through their dossiers, then prison scenes, then action shots with their names on the screen. I guess they really liked that scene in the first Guardians.

Don't forget the best introduction of a character ever.

This is Katana. She's got my back. She can cut all of you in half with one sword stroke, just like mowing the lawn. I would advise not getting killed by her. Her sword traps the souls of its victims.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

feedmyleg posted:

Crowe didn't peak in LA - afterwards we had The Insider just to start with

Guy Pearce peaked in The Proposition