Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

Serperoth posted:

What bugs me with Alonso and Kimi (and to a lesser degree Vettel and Stroll. Hulk and Kubica don't count cause they're out) is how there's decent fast kids out there who could be taking these spots. Kimi is doing nothing (bwoar ice cream and poo poo!) and it's not like the car is improving much with his experience, send him out to pasture and get some kid from F2 in there.

I guess it will be something to watch Alonso ruin yet more one team? And who knows maybe Renault will pull a McLaren when he's gone
You forgot Big John.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
IM SO BAD AT ACTUALLY TALKING ABOUT F1 IN ANY MEANINGFUL WAY SOME DUDE WITH TOO MUCH FREE MONEY WILL KEEP CHANGING IT UNTIL I SHUT THE FUCK UP OR ACTUALLY POST SOMETHING THAT ISNT SPEWING HATE/SLURS/TELLING PEOPLE TO KILL THEMSELVES
There’s been several instances where a car’s development has been completely lost under Alonso’s watch. This is the man that made Mclaren ditch the Honda engine when their own car was the actual issue.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

the corona quid posted:

There’s been several instances where a car’s development has been completely lost under Alonso’s watch. This is the man that made Mclaren ditch the Honda engine when their own car was the actual issue.

i was kinda excluding that period because i don't think that the best developmental driver would've been able to fix mclarens shitshow

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

lol "GG boys." What a nerd.

Custard Undies
Jan 7, 2006

#essereFerrari

the corona quid posted:

To be fair, it was both the engine and the car that were poo poo.

But Ron forcing Honda to size zero the engine 6 months before it was due to start racing really didn't help matters when they had what 2 years lead development time? Also wasn't helped by the stupid engine token system at the time where they couldn't actually fix/develop the engine during the season.

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」
All these rookie boys seem like nice lads and I can't wait to watch which ones develop egos the size of a small planet over the next decade

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

the corona quid posted:

There's a big difference between providing feedback to a technical team that disseminates that knowledge properly and sets up proper boundaries on just what kind of information they want and how much.

And then you had the McLaren situation where you had Zak Brown basically hand over the entire technical show to Alonso and did everything Alonso wanted in the most impulsive kneejerk reactionary manner.

Custard Undies
Jan 7, 2006

#essereFerrari

Lewis was always a humble lad, who is good and means well. :lewis:

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
IM SO BAD AT ACTUALLY TALKING ABOUT F1 IN ANY MEANINGFUL WAY SOME DUDE WITH TOO MUCH FREE MONEY WILL KEEP CHANGING IT UNTIL I SHUT THE FUCK UP OR ACTUALLY POST SOMETHING THAT ISNT SPEWING HATE/SLURS/TELLING PEOPLE TO KILL THEMSELVES
The car didn’t get any better under his Ferrari stint, if anything it went backwards. The engine was nowhere near as bad as people thought it was when Mclaren dropped Honda and I think it’s pretty debatable if it was even that bad the season before.

Tony quidprano fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Jul 8, 2020

Zeta Acosta
Dec 16, 2019

#essereFerrari

NO LISTEN TO ME posted:

All these rookie boys seem like nice lads and I can't wait to watch which ones develop egos the size of a small planet over the next decade

WDC Charles will be a loving monster.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
Alonso’s skill set basically was he is unbelievably quick in the races and could drag better results than most out of a car when motivated. I seriously doubt either of those things are ever going to materialize again.

marshalljim
Mar 6, 2013

yospos
I bet he'll hang with Ocon for a season or two, though.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter

Serperoth posted:

What bugs me with Alonso and Kimi (and to a lesser degree Vettel and Stroll. Hulk and Kubica don't count cause they're out) is how there's decent fast kids out there who could be taking these spots. Kimi is doing nothing (bwoar ice cream and poo poo!) and it's not like the car is improving much with his experience, send him out to pasture and get some kid from F2 in there.

I guess it will be something to watch Alonso ruin yet more one team? And who knows maybe Renault will pull a McLaren when he's gone

Part of the problem is that none of Renault's own younger drivers have superlicenses yet. In fact, I can't think of any F2 drivers that do have them and the ones that do are already in FE (not that they wouldn't jump at the chance in an F1 car).

the corona quid posted:

The Honda engine was at least 50% of the issue, but the Honda wouldn't have gotten better with McLaren unless they ditched their stupid "Size 0" philosophy. I heard a story that one of the first things Honda did when they moved to Torro Rosso was make the engine 4" longer.

MustardFacial fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Jul 8, 2020

Naoto Shirogane
May 8, 2019

its max verstappen, he’s the giant ego one

george russell and lando norris seem fine

comedy option latifi develops a villeneuve sized ego

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
i still cant believe that f1 allowed two canadians into f1, canada is an extremely lovely land and we all hate canada

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

track day bro! posted:

i still cant believe that f1 allowed two canadians into f1, canada is an extremely lovely land and we all hate canada

Oh for gently caress's sake are you off to New Zealand too?

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
canada: duuuuuuuur look at my lovely country thats 99% barren wasteland, with all the fail elements of america, britain and france? nothing good will ever come from this country let me poo poo cheese on these chips hurrrrrrrrrr

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

track day bro! posted:

canada: duuuuuuuur look at my lovely country thats 99% barren wasteland, with all the fail elements of america, britain and france? nothing good will ever come from this country let me poo poo cheese on these chips hurrrrrrrrrr

I'm sure you and quid meeting up in Auckland can share a laugh over it while watching IndyCar in the local sports bar and making fun of how terrible F1 & Canada is.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
Renault need a name to attract sponsors, they were pinning their hopes on Dan being that guy, but they incompetenced him out. So it's a straight competition between Vettel and Alonso, really. Who else is there? Vettel is clearly and obviously past it, Alonso has passed his peak but is still capable of wringing results out of a car. Some of the Alonso revisionism is ridiculous - even in the worst of the McLaren doldrums he pushed that car further up the order than it had any right to be.

He's clearly difficult and he's going to walk all over Renault management for sure, but he will attract attention and sponsors and get more points out of that car than it deserves. And again, who else is there that fits the bill? On Alonso's side it's a chance to close out his career getting reasonable results in a midfield car rather than retiring in a shitbox, and if he sticks it out there's the wafer thin possibility that team gets the 2022 regs right and that last shot to get a third title and go out on a high.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

Tsaedje posted:

Renault need a name to attract sponsors, they were pinning their hopes on Dan being that guy, but they incompetenced him out. So it's a straight competition between Vettel and Alonso, really. Who else is there? Vettel is clearly and obviously past it, Alonso has passed his peak but is still capable of wringing results out of a car. Some of the Alonso revisionism is ridiculous - even in the worst of the McLaren doldrums he pushed that car further up the order than it had any right to be.

He's clearly difficult and he's going to walk all over Renault management for sure, but he will attract attention and sponsors and get more points out of that car than it deserves. And again, who else is there that fits the bill? On Alonso's side it's a chance to close out his career getting reasonable results in a midfield car rather than retiring in a shitbox, and if he sticks it out there's the wafer thin possibility that team gets the 2022 regs right and that last shot to get a third title and go out on a high.

Well, at least Alonso earned his 2x WDCs and didn't fluke into it like Button did.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Alonso's first WDC was very literally "this is the car on-pace that broke down least"
Raikkonen out-drove the poo poo out of him that season.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Khablam posted:

Alonso's first WDC was very literally "this is the car on-pace that broke down least"
Raikkonen out-drove the poo poo out of him that season.

Honestly if Raikkonen gave a poo poo about qualifying more often, he'd probably place pretty highly for how old he is in F1 years.

Naoto Shirogane
May 8, 2019

kimi still has race pace given how badly he dumpstered gio in their race duel

then again that guy sucks lmao

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
Gio is literally just seat warming for Mick.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

Wirth1000 posted:

Well, at least Alonso earned his 2x WDCs and didn't fluke into it like Button did.

I'm easy to bait, but not this easy

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

Tsaedje posted:

I'm easy to bait, but not this easy

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

NO LISTEN TO ME posted:

All famous streamers eventually get banned for saying the gamer word so this doesn't bode well for Lando.

Naoto Shirogane
May 8, 2019

i didn’t know about that super not good lmao

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

NO LISTEN TO ME posted:

Max. It’s already happened.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Wirth1000 posted:

I'm sure you and quid meeting up in Auckland can share a laugh over it while watching IndyCar in the local sports bar and making fun of how terrible F1 & Canada is.

Sorry our borders are closed. Also, no thanks

Pragmatica
Apr 1, 2003

Zeta Acosta posted:

WDC Charles will be a loving monster.

Agreed.

marshalljim
Mar 6, 2013

yospos

Red_Fred posted:

Max. It’s already happened.

Max was born and raised to be a douchebag. He was beaten every time he showed anything remotely resembling basic human decency.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

marshalljim posted:

Max was born and raised to be a douchebag. He was beaten every time he showed anything remotely resembling basic human decency.

For real? What’s the background on this?

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

Red_Fred posted:

Jos Verstappen is Lowtax's favourite F1 driver.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter

Red_Fred posted:

This and other similarly horrific things.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

The thread's tendency to make jokes about Max having to live with Jos makes me sad.
We should all celebrate Max being a good lad who means well despite this.

BurgerQuest
Mar 17, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
No

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter
Yesssssssss, get hosed forever Mercedes

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

Have they considered making a good car?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

Sorry, but Khablam already refuted this as being all made up propaganda by Mercedes to make their cars look really lovely for some reason by showcasing the poor unreliability of their engineering might so you'll definitely go and not buy their cars and get a Toyota instead. And to also make their wins seem like Minardi winning or something.