Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MystOpportunity
Jun 27, 2004
Finding myself disappointed- I knew content would rotate out when I signed up for CC, but assumed that blocks like Bunel and Goddard would be a stable backbone. This is the stuff I知 most interested in having ongoing access to, and also the stuff I知 least interested in crunching through in a month.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

MystOpportunity posted:

Finding myself disappointed- I knew content would rotate out when I signed up for CC, but assumed that blocks like Bunel and Goddard would be a stable backbone. This is the stuff I知 most interested in having ongoing access to, and also the stuff I知 least interested in crunching through in a month.

They'll sometimes go away for a month or two and come back. Sometimes it's just a few of their films. Fellini's Nights of Cabiria has come and gone from the service two or three times now. Same with Mulholland Drive. The Pedro Almodovar collection they had last year went away, but Tie Me Up! Tie Me Down! stayed on the service. And apparently they added High Heels recently, which wasn't a part of the collection, and I didn't read any update that it was added.

Recently they did a Celine Sciamma collection for her films, but Tomboy was going to be removed at the end of the month. A month later and Tomboy is still around. It's a little weird! :shrug:

Franchescanado fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Jul 7, 2020

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Alphaville and Hail Mary are both better than Band of Outsiders IMHO.

Like Band of Outsiders is still cool but I feel like there痴 just more going on in the other two.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
https://twitter.com/JFrankensteiner/status/1251713137499389952

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

。Hola SEA!

Franchescanado posted:

They'll sometimes go away for a month or two and come back. Sometimes it's just a few of their films. Fellini's Nights of Cabiria has come and gone from the service two or three times now. Same with Mulholland Drive. The Pedro Almodovar collection they had last year went away, but Tie Me Up! Tie Me Down! stayed on the service. And apparently they added High Heels recently, which wasn't a part of the collection, and I didn't read any update that it was added.

Recently they did a Celine Sciamma collection for her films, but Tomboy was going to be removed at the end of the month. A month later and Tomboy is still around. It's a little weird! :shrug:

I noticed that most of the Bunuel that was leaving last month is still up, too

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Band of Outsiders is the only Godard I've seen that doesn't make me think "this guy is just a loving troll" so maybe that's why I enjoyed it.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Is the criterion channel shareable like hulu/netflix/etc.?

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

MacheteZombie posted:

Is the criterion channel shareable like hulu/netflix/etc.?

You don't get to make profiles, and I think if you try and watch movies at the same time it'll boot one of you. That said, I've given friends temporary access to mine so they can watch something before it leaves without any major issues.

Brexit the Frog
Aug 22, 2013

me & a friend have simul-watched stuff on one account with no issues

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Sweet thanks!

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Brexit the Frog posted:

me & a friend have simul-watched stuff on one account with no issues

That's good to know! Thanks.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Srice posted:

https://www.criterionchannel.com/leaving-july-31

So what's the good poo poo that's leaving the channel this time around? Last night I watched Pierrot le fou and enjoyed it quite a bit. And I guess I've seen West Side Story ages ago in grade school. Haven't seen anything else. What's the stuff I absolutely have got to see? I definitely wanna hit up a lot of the Godard movies leaving but other than that I don't have any plans.

As others have said, Aguirre is unmissable.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

MystOpportunity posted:

Kanopy can help fill in the gaps a bit

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Sale when.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I have no information about Barnes and Noble Criterion sale specifically. But I know that the comic shop near me canceled their big summer sale because sales that get a lot of people to come to a store are a bad idea right now. And I'm a Barnes and Noble member, and they used to send me a 20% off one item coupon every month or so, but I haven't gotten any since like, February.

So I don't think the sale is a guaranteed thing this summer

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Current rumor is Friday, but that痴 just folks on reddit speculating.

ham_sanitizer
Jul 12, 2014

professional swine bather
pretty sure the sale is happening. here痴 part of an email that i got about my bruce lee box set preorder

criterion posted:

We also wanted to let you know that Barnes & Noble is planning to launch their Criterion 50% off sale in July and the Bruce Lee box set will be available during the sale. We truly appreciate your support, wherever you purchase your Criterion discs, and thank you for being a loyal fan.

edit: this email went out yesterday

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

I don't think the Criterion sale is going to exactly pack the stores, anyways.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

Aguirre, The Wrath of God is absolutely essential viewing. It's one of those movies where I don't think a person has fully experienced the potential of film as a medium until they've seen it.

I credited Fran with this rec and he demanded I give the proper due to you.

Thanks for the rec on this! Loved it, simply a masterpiece.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

MacheteZombie posted:

I credited Fran with this rec and he demanded I give the proper due to you.

Thanks for the rec on this! Loved it, simply a masterpiece.

I believe Aguirre was an early Movie of the Month, which is where I discovered it, so as usual the real credit goes to CineD as a whole.

It's probably one of my most valued blu rays. Like, if all the sudden tomorrow I needed to start my collection again from scratch Aguirre would be one of the first two or three films I'd buy.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Aguirre is amazing and it has the best pan flute scene of all time

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT
And the best monkey pitching scene of all time too

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

My Bruce Lee boxset shipped today :dance:

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

Dumb question: which movie is the still from on the Criterion Channel homepage?

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

Farscape is actually pretty cool.

fenix down posted:

Dumb question: which movie is the still from on the Criterion Channel homepage?

I believe that is The Virgin Suicides

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Thom and the Heads posted:

I believe that is The Virgin Suicides

Correct.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Went into the mall today, it's been closed for 3 months. Looks like the local B&N will survive for the moment. Was browsing the movie section and I didn't even ask before a girl who works there walked up and told me about a criterion sale coming up, so yeah, it's still happening.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
Sale started today!

https://www.barnesandnoble.com/b/movies-tv/_/N-8qh

Probably gonna head over either after work or tomorrow, not sure what I'm gonna pick up yet though. How's The War of the Worlds?

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
gently caress

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

Slammed the Bruce Lee preorder immediately. Thanks.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I'm probably just gonna end up getting the Godzilla box

Ratedargh
Feb 20, 2011

Wow, Bob, wow. Fire walk with me.
Here's hoping Unobstructed View does a Canadian version of the sale again.

E:. https://twitter.com/UnViewInc/status/1281575761653239809?s=20

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

I was only going to get City Lights cause it's out of print, but said gently caress it and just got all the Chaplin stuff.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Vince MechMahon posted:

I was only going to get City Lights cause it's out of print, but said gently caress it and just got all the Chaplin stuff.

It's available on the Criterion website, where did you hear this?

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Gripweed posted:

I'm probably just gonna end up getting the Godzilla box

It's so good.

I just picked up the Bruce Lee set, I'm glad there was still a sale this year right when it's coming out.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Cloks posted:

It's available on the Criterion website, where did you hear this?

It was unavailable for a year as recently as yesterday, at least every time i checked for it.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
Probably just going to settle for a Cranes Are Flying upgrade but I just know as the days go by I'll be thinking, "C'mon, what's a shelf without at least three Eclipse sets?"

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

drat, the Bruce Lee boxset's already out of stock online. Gonna hope it shows up in store next week.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I grabbed the Bergman Box and Women on the Verge of a Nervous Breakdown today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

99 CENTS AMIGO
Jul 22, 2007
A TON of stuff is already out of stock online. I only got 3 of the titles I was trying to get.