Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

https://twitter.com/TheLethalJay/status/1280311115273187331

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Izzy trained with Chasyn Rance??? I hate the parents even more than I did before.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Luigi Thirty posted:

Izzy trained with Chasyn Rance??? I hate the parents even more than I did before.

Was this ever confirmed? Because I just remember people saying that Izzy was training and because it’s Florida, everyone’s minds went directly to one horrifying conclusion

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

sportsgenius86 posted:

Was this ever confirmed? Because I just remember people saying that Izzy was training and because it’s Florida, everyone’s minds went directly to one horrifying conclusion

From 2018 https://www.cagesideseats.com/indie...nt-championship

quote:

While there’s some debate over whether Izzy’s parents knew about Rance’s history prior to her attending a lesson with him, both sides agree he is no longer training her. She’s now working with Orlando’s Pro Wrestling 2.0 school.

Sidenote, the match she had against Effy that was discussed in that article, the promotion was run by abuser Aaron Epic

https://twitter.com/newfoundmass/status/1014273343242100736

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

So 2 weeks ago Dave was defending Cornette

Chris James 2 posted:

Said on Observer Radio the Jim and Stacy Cornette accusations (thread here, at least one OVW alumni vouched for it, and Janela and Prichard previously alluded to that kind of behavior being common from them) "seemed fishy", then brought up Hana Kimura's recent passing and said people should be nicer to Stacy

And now today he's implying the accusation against Riddle is "jealousy"

I wonder why women feel uncomfortable speaking out in an industry like this where the biggest journalist there is keeps implying you're a liar if you do

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

Who wants to bet Dave's dismissed/buried other stories as lies and never surfaced them

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Are you sure I'm winning the Rumble? That does'nt seem right.....

https://mobile.twitter.com/thelethaljay/status/1280369382162681856
At least he's being direct in his awfulness.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!

Chris James 2 posted:

So 2 weeks ago Dave was defending Cornette

And now today he's implying the accusation against Riddle is "jealousy"

I wonder why women feel uncomfortable speaking out in an industry like this where the biggest journalist there is keeps implying you're a liar if you do
...why were all the examples he gave about gay (or perceived as gay) promoters being accused by third parties of pushing specific people for sexual favors? Misterio, Michaels, and Wildfire never accused anyone of anything. He's conflating lore/urban legends/rumors with firsthand accusations and that's incredibly bizarre. What does any of that have to do with anything?

Pinche Rudo posted:

Who wants to bet Dave's dismissed/buried other stories as lies and never surfaced them
Not quite that, but...Dave has never been that great at reporting on this kind of subject matter, anyway. Here's what he wrote in the 3/16/92 Observer as Titangate started unfolding and Vince McMahon told him on the record that he had fired Mel Phillips in 1988 because he believed Phillips was a pedophile (the bold part, with the benefit of hindsight, appears to be describing what Vince told him):

But while McMahon claimed Patterson and Garvin resigned because of their love for the company and that the resignations weren't asked for, ring announcer Mel Phillips was suspended at the same time. Phillips, whose name hadn't publicly come up anywhere in regards to this story but people behind the scenes knew if/when stories went public he would inevitably be linked to it, was punished at the same time Patterson and Garvin resigned. This seems to ruin the credibility that Patterson and Garvin acted on their own in this manner without any encouragement or that there is no substantiation to the charges. McMahon admitted several years ago that Phillips, who has been in wrestling for about 30 years, was dropped by the WWF and indicated it was a disciplinary problem relating to the subject, but that he later took him back.

And here's what he said in the following issue after Phil Mushnick wrote more clearly in the New York Post that Vince had told both him and Meltzer the same thing:

McMahon admitted, as was reported by Mushnick in his brutal column Wednesday entitled, "WWF's Defense Just More Lies," that Phillips was fired four years ago "because Phillips' relationship with kids seemed peculiar and unnatural."

He never acknowledges in that issue that Vince told him the same thing and Mushnick reported on that conversation, even though they were on the record. Vince's admissions were never covered in any subsequent Observer that I can find, not in 1992 or in retrospectives on the ring boy scandal and larger Titangate scandal. As a result, even people with a solid working knowledge of the subject matter that Vince admitted this on the record to two different reporters who were able to back each other up. I don't think it was deliberate on Dave's part past a desire to make sure he didn't make stories about himself, but it's still a black mark that, in the pages of the Observer, you can't find anything about Vince's on the record admission to Dave. (And only one reference to the admission to Mushnick, which was treated as just one of many things that Vince lied about on Larry King Live.)

WWE's handling of the ring boy narrative was based in large part on ignoring that Vince ever said anything like that.

davidbix fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Jul 7, 2020

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I would think he's friendly with Cornette and that's what's behind that bullshit, but Riddle? Is he worrying about losing sources or something? I mean, it has been two or three accusations at this point, right?

A few months ago I asked why Matt Riddle looks like he wants me to punch him in the face, and now I know why.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Pope Corky the IX posted:

I would think he's friendly with Cornette and that's what's behind that bullshit, but Riddle? Is he worrying about losing sources or something? I mean, it has been two or three accusations at this point, right?

Or Dave Meltzer is a 60 year old man with lovely opinions about women

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I figured that part, more and more he's had to clarify the language he uses when talking about women when it's just like "Use the same loving words as you do with the male wrestlers"

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Von Linus
Apr 6, 2006
I complete me.

I do know Joe was reaching out for feedback on how to move forward. I also see Paul Tracey and Jordan Devlin were listed as trainers beforehand, they're gone now. It's also a good sign that FFPRO have become involved in it. They're good eggs.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

Pope Corky the IX posted:

I would think he's friendly with Cornette

They had a falling out because Cornette couldn't handle Kenny Omega being one of Dave's favorite wrestlers. A multiple decade long friendship ended because Omega once fought a child lol

zgrowler2
Oct 29, 2011

HOW DOES THE IPHONE APP WORK?? I WILL SPAM ENDLESSLY EVERYWHERE AND DISREGARD ANY REPLIES

TTBF posted:

They had a falling out because Cornette couldn't handle Kenny Omega being one of Dave's favorite wrestlers. A multiple decade long friendship ended because Omega once fought a child lol

I mean, Omega does mean 'the end'

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Cornette is Mr. Burn Bridges, holy poo poo.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Cornette is trying to burn the bridge and Dave is trying his hardest to rebuild it, to the point where he's taking the materials from other bridges.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

hell yeah

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Rarity posted:

Marty Scurll being into underage girls was such common knowledge it came up regularly on these forums and crowds would chant it at him at shows

Shard posted:

God thats loving gross.
Yeah, that's... that's not good.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

Rarity posted:

Marty Scurll being into underage girls was such common knowledge it came up regularly on these forums and crowds would chant it at him at shows

Yeah the part that pisses me off most about this whole thing is how much of it was common knowledge, to the point where in the Social Media thread, right before the accusation against him came to light (again), people were talking about how Will has gotten better at social media after the Pollyanna snafu.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Maybe I've missed a discussion on this, but isn't it bonkers telling that only a scant few of these stories were about current WWE main roster members/management?

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

WSAENOTSOCK posted:

Maybe I've missed a discussion on this, but isn't it bonkers telling that only a scant few of these stories were about current WWE main roster members/management?

Victims of them almost certainly feel a lot of pressure to keep quiet considering the power those people currently have

We even see that in cases like Marty. He's had stories and rumors swirling around him and his behavior for half a decade minimum at this point; he still only had a few people come out against him during this because ROH gave him a lot of power recently, in addition to looking the other way on and giving Jay Lethal power for years before this (see Taeler Hendrix having her career stopped dead in its tracks for speaking out against him years ago), and for a lot of people that makes it harder to feel safe speaking up. If you're not already blackballed, it's an easy way to end up with that result

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

https://twitter.com/TheBillyDixon/status/1280601853093466113?s=20

I can only assume he's referring to this:
https://twitter.com/lewdliterati/status/1276289838489239552?s=20

It's long and I'm still reading it, but wow. Dude's hosed up.

Fad
Nov 13, 2002

I dont care.
I think that if #Speaking Out were to hit more mainstream outlets there would probably be more WWE stories coming out. It seems like this is circulating in a wrestling bubble, which is why so many indies are getting hit because indy fans are the ones paying attention. Can you imagine how many stories aren’t getting out because people don’t know there is a movement going on?

Fad fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Jul 8, 2020

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

WSAENOTSOCK posted:

As SNV posted on the last page...

In Training posted:

You only hear about it more often in the FGC because there's very little actual power at play (nobody is rich, there's no centralized structure, no like, legal influence etc.) most other institutions are much better at hiding and protecting sexual predators because they have way more resources at their disposal and way more money moving upwards.

Most of these guys are nobodies and while there's some backlash for saying anything, when it's a WWE guy there's millions of people calling you slurs and a bunch of lawyers.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
https://twitter.com/fitgymnast/status/1280664566008033280

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

This is like the text from those algorithm Facebook ad t-shirts that’s printed over a picture of a grim reaper with a gun

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Dacap posted:

This is like the text from those algorithm Facebook ad t-shirts that’s printed over a picture of a grim reaper with a gun

that's exactly what it is, jesus

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I AM A
former UFC fighter
i like weed
i hate shoes
MY FAMILY IS MY
everything
(a picture of an eagle)
BRO

Mob
May 7, 2002

Me reading your posts

Also that picture is so old he wasn't even Fuckin Across The Indies yet

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

I AM A
wrestler's WIFE
i get cheated on
all the time
MY FAMILY IS
falling apart
(a picture of a big dave)
PROLLY FAKE THO LOL

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

https://twitter.com/SuperKingofBros/status/1280894471257890817?s=20

Hopkins FBI
Jan 4, 2015

MY SACRED POSTING VOW IS NOTHING, FOR WHILE I STAKED MY HONOR UPON MY COMMITMENT TO NEVER SUPPORT JOSEPH R. B. JUNIOR I HAVE SCANDALOUSLY ABANDONED MY PRINCIPLES
barnacle jim lookin' rear end

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Did he really wear an SPLX hat while making that video?

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
My husband is aWWE superstar
He was born in January
He’s a little bit crazy sometimes
But he KNOWS more than he speaks and sees more than you THINK
And if you mess with me they will never find your body
Yes he bought me this shirt!

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Hopkins FBI posted:

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova

So he went from calling her a stalker he tried to get a restraining order against years ago to going "OK we had an affair like she said but she totally did go crazy afterwards"

Not great

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Ok so I lied before but this time I'm telling the truth.

Always a winner.

Edit: also already seeing the galaxy brain take that this means she's more likely to lying because "liars stories dont change because they're so rehearsed".

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Hopkins FBI posted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Anyone remember how in Freddy vs Jason they had a total rip-off of Jay from the Kevin Smith movies? Matt Riddle feels like a rip-off of that character.