Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arsonide
Oct 18, 2007

You're breaking my balls here

Trackmania (2020) was released on July 1st. Trackmania is a free to play arcade racing game with asynchronous multiplayer, an easy to use track maker, and tons of social elements. That is to say, you race against the ghosts of other players. We don't have a thread yet for this fun game, so this is the thread. I'm going to be honest, I threw this together quickly by stealing the content, images, and videos. My sole motivation is for goons to coordinate and make a club in-game so we can race cars.

For those of you that played the first games, it seems to have a lot of new track elements and powerups, like slow motion, or icy roads. It also has tighter community integration: there is a new set of official tracks released every three months, and a new featured community map every day, as well as the usual slew of community / regional leaderboards and crap.

I'll get this part out of the way quickly: Trackmania is free to play, so you can race as much as you want without paying a dime. However, to create your own racetracks with the level editor or join a club, you need to purchase "Club Access", which is some new subscription bullshit. It is also only available on UPlay or the Epic Store. It's a neat game though, and I personally don't mind throwing :10bux: at the developers for it.

Platforms
  • PC - requires UPlay or the Epic Store.

Play in an online multiplayer environment or solo against ghosts of players. Improve steadily thanks to innovative gameplay features, regionalized rankings and medals to collect, so you can race your way to the top.

Face new challenges with a new season every three months and a wide variety of community tracks displayed in the "Track of the Day" selection. There are also community campaigns in the hourly renewed arcade channel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TQQOwnbuvsc

With the powerful Trackmania creation and sharing tools, you can create tracks using innovative gameplay blocks. You can also imagine game modes, paint 2D skins and edit replays.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QN2yhKqvZ9c

Join your favorite clubs to access exclusive content and activities such as skin customization, competitions, special campaigns, online rooms, and training tracks. Create your own club to share your creations, organize your events, stream your best races and offer your members a never-ending entertainment.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RTHsJhS1JmI

Practice Trackmania esport by joining casual daily and weekly tournaments. Or face off against pro-level players in the Open Grand League to qualify for the Trackmania Grand League, the official worlwide competition.

Official Discord
Here

Goon Club
Coming Soon?

Arsonide fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Jul 5, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sikreci
Mar 23, 2006

Game is good. I have club access so I could potentially create a goon club. I could do that and create a public campaign and upload all the custom goon tracks to it (pretty sure I could even upload Standard/Free edition tracks as long as you just send me the file).

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
i'd join a goon club, i've played an hour or so of this and it's real good. trackmania, for me, is the ultimate 'well guess sleep isn't coming so time to zone out at 3am' game

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
I would join one! I just have standard access for now though, the whole thing was a bit confusing

Sikreci
Mar 23, 2006

I'll try to set one up after work tomorrow unless someone beats me to it. Post some images for club logos and banners and other poo poo in the mean time.

I think you need club access to join clubs, but I can at the very least create map and skin collections that are accessible for everyone. I'm not actually sure what all you can do with clubs but there's various events and stuff I know. Hopefully I can give other people admin access to the club to do that poo poo too.

Sikreci fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Jul 6, 2020

Arsonide
Oct 18, 2007

Sikreci posted:

I'll try to set one up after work tomorrow unless someone beats me to it. Post some images for club logos and banners and other poo poo in the mean time.

I think you need club access to join clubs, but I can at the very least create map and skin collections that are accessible for everyone. I'm not actually sure what all you can do with clubs but there's various events and stuff I know. Hopefully I can give other people admin access to the club to do that poo poo too.

Yeah I was looking at this earlier but I don't think I have time to set all of this up. Here are all the images required:
  • 256x256: Small Logo
  • 720x928: Vertical Logo
  • 1920x1080: Club Background
  • 1024x1024: Road Image
  • 1024x256: Sponsor Image
  • 1920x1080: Big Screen Image
  • 4096x256: Podium Under Big Screen Image
  • 2048x256: Bleachers Image
:suicide: I doubt we need all of that though. I guess we can start with a bog-standard goon logo, so that'll have to be my contribution for now:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Arsonide fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Jul 6, 2020

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Now listen to me children and I'll tell you of the legend of the Ninja

Arsonide posted:

• 1024x256: Sponsor Image

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
I'll play and join. Does it matter whether you download from epic or uplay? Or is everything coordinated with a trackmania account?

e: lol may as well just install it on uplay. installing it on epic just opens it up on uplay.

buglord fucked around with this message at 08:44 on Jul 6, 2020

Rivethead
Feb 22, 2008

On Uplay:

"If you’re looking for more Trackmania, Standard Access Tier ($9.99) unlocks more creation tools, while the Club Access ($29.99) provides even more creation and socialization options, such as creating your own Club and activities."

Was the $9.99 for one day only?

Sikreci
Mar 23, 2006

The club access was always $30 for 1 year or $60 for 3. The standard access still gets you most of the content and you can play custom maps and public club campaigns.

Sikreci
Mar 23, 2006

Alright, the Goon Prix club has been created. It's set to private at the moment so you have to request to join in-game. I also created a public room under the same name running the summer maps rotation.

Arsonide
Oct 18, 2007

Sikreci posted:

Alright, the Goon Prix club has been created. It's set to private at the moment so you have to request to join in-game. I also created a public room under the same name running the summer maps rotation.

Dropped in my request for Goon Prix.

Sikreci
Mar 23, 2006

Arsonide posted:

Dropped in my request for Goon Prix.
Gotcha. I made you an admin so you can also do all the things.

Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...
Oh cool, I've been wondering when we'd get a thread for this.

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

I can't believe how slippery they made the ice. Whenever you see any ice on the horizon, you better slam those brakes or you will powerslide into the eternal flat wilderness that surrounds all of trackmania, and none shall see you again.

Sikreci
Mar 23, 2006

Speaking of ice, I finally figured out how to drive on the luge track enough to get the author medal on training 19! Now to apply it to an actual track...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4h9MinE8Jh4

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
I feel like the F2P solo experience is pretty lacking/clunky in this.
(I get that they want you to subscribe for a year, but you still want a good population of free players to keep the game healthy...)

I can lay down times against ghosts from my region. That's fine.
There's not actually that many ghosts though. You will probably beat them all pretty easily and then you have to go out of and back into the same track to get some more competitive ghosts.
By the way, the default is to race solo and you have to specifically select race against opponents every single time.

As far as I can tell there's no friends or challenges or anything. Sure, again they want you to pay to form a crew.
But if there's nothing to do except get into the top XX of your state 4 times a year then they're not going to retain any players.

Apart from those gripes the game itself is fun as ever.

~Coxy fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Jul 8, 2020

802.11weed
May 9, 2007

no

Sikreci posted:

Speaking of ice, I finally figured out how to drive on the luge track enough to get the author medal on training 19! Now to apply it to an actual track...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4h9MinE8Jh4

that’s blowing my mind

how are you guys playing? im using an 8bitdo sn30pro but the lack of analog triggers sucks!

Sikreci
Mar 23, 2006

I'm just using an XBone controller, but I know you can play competitively with just the keyboard too so a controller with digital triggers probably isn't a problem. I think I get more use out of analog steering than analog brakes/throttle.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Yeah F2P feels like a demo mode rather than anything sustainable or long term. I wouldn’t mind paying $10 so I can play with clans. But 30...for only one year?

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Has anyone yet figured out how to replace the sound track? I'd like to put my legally acquired Ogg Vorbis files to use.

Sikreci
Mar 23, 2006

buglord posted:

Yeah F2P feels like a demo mode rather than anything sustainable or long term. I wouldn’t mind paying $10 so I can play with clans. But 30...for only one year?
Or $60/3yrs. It's not ideal but I'm definitely getting $2.50/month of enjoyment out of it.

StoryTime posted:

Has anyone yet figured out how to replace the sound track? I'd like to put my legally acquired Ogg Vorbis files to use.
Why bother modding the game soundtrack rather than just running an external media player?

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Sikreci posted:

Why bother modding the game soundtrack rather than just running an external media player?

The game can shuffle them according to track changes and all, but yeah I'll just turn the music down and play the La-Mulana OST SSCC version on loop!

magimix
Dec 31, 2003

MY FAT WAIFU!!! :love:
She's fetish efficient :3:

Nap Ghost
I've dropped a request to join Goon prix (uPlay name being magimix2000).

I'm happy calling myself wholly new to this franchise (I suspect the few hours I spent with Trackmania Turbo 2 on PS4 don't count for much). The game's approach to getting new players up to speed with how to play the game reminds me of *old* Trials. "Here's a track illustrating some key concept or technique. You'll know when you've started to get some kind of a handle on what that might actually be when you get a good medal time. Or maybe you won't. I've done all I can..."

Edit: But the fact is I found myself *grinding* those training tracks, really wanting to learn what needed to be learned. Improving times until I just can't anymore, for now. Since it seemed to be scratching some of the same itches that stuff like Trials can scratch, decided to take the plunge and go full-on Club access.

magimix fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Jul 8, 2020

Sikreci
Mar 23, 2006

Yeah same. I was actually planning to just play the free version to see if I liked the franchise before buying some older ones on the Steam sale but I just ended up falling in love with this one.

Training 12 can get hosed though, getting the author medal on that is 95% getting a lucky bounce off the edge of the top of the U.

magimix
Dec 31, 2003

Nap Ghost

Sikreci posted:

Yeah same. I was actually planning to just play the free version to see if I liked the franchise before buying some older ones on the Steam sale but I just ended up falling in love with this one.

Training 12 can get hosed though, getting the author medal on that is 95% getting a lucky bounce off the edge of the top of the U.

Is "author medal" the tier up from Gold (like 'platinum' or 'diamond' in Trials)?

I've still a few of the training tracks to go through; the ones I've see so far that consistently stump me in terms of 'getting' the technique enough to gold it are ones with icey surfaces. For example, the very first training track that introduces you to ice... On my first run, I (fluked) a silver. Not only have I not golded that one, I've not even managed to re-achieve that original time, let alone improve it!

I *clearly* don't grok that surface at the moment.

Sikreci
Mar 23, 2006

Yeah, it's medal for the time set by the map author (devs in this case).

Arsonide
Oct 18, 2007

Approved a few club applications.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
I looked at Ubisoft's chart of the different tiers, and I'm still very confused.

If I want to start a custom server for my friends, I need the $30 tier. But to play on my server, they only need the $10 one?

magimix
Dec 31, 2003

Nap Ghost
How crashy are people finding this game, incidentally. Now I'm branching out of the training tracks, and connecting to servers, I've had 2 CTDs and a 3rd crash so hard I had to physically restart my machine :captainpop:

Sikreci
Mar 23, 2006

I would say I crash every 10-30 seconds, but the game has been perfectly stable :v:

Shadowlz
Oct 3, 2011

Oh it's gonna happen one way or the other, pal.

I applied for the club.

Spectracide
May 27, 2004
IT'S ARGH, BABY!
I put in a request to join Goon Prix.

Sikreci
Mar 23, 2006

Yes! I finally loving nailed training 12 after like 3 or 4 hours. gently caress this track.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CH4k0ExT22U

Also I got 23 which was the last one I needed. It looks more exciting but was significantly easier.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PflQL3IsHUQ

Time to hit some real tracks!

Shadowlz
Oct 3, 2011

Man I worked so loving hard for this tiny extra .194 second and only went up like 4 positions. Facking fack these people are fast. Need to shave an entire second off for top 5. Guess I'll settle for top in Maryland bah.

Shadowlz fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Jul 9, 2020

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

magimix posted:

How crashy are people finding this game, incidentally. Now I'm branching out of the training tracks, and connecting to servers, I've had 2 CTDs and a 3rd crash so hard I had to physically restart my machine :captainpop:

No CTDs, but I've had some weird glitches where the game suddenly refuses to load tracks in solo mode. Restarting the game helps sometimes. There was a while where all the checkpoint times claimed that I had both cleared the track in .001 second, and that I was also improving on that time, but that got fixed by a patch pretty quickly. This game definitely seems to be a work in progress.

StoryTime fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Jul 9, 2020

Voltek
Apr 19, 2013
New Trackmania is good, I like the new visual style and new dirt blocks. The track review server is fun and also a good place to learn what makes a good or bad track.

Client performance seems a bit all over the place with different setups. Apparently certain gamepads (normally PS4) or peripherals are causing frame drops.

Map of the day is a good idea too.

magimix
Dec 31, 2003

Nap Ghost

StoryTime posted:

No CTDs, but I've had some weird glitches where the game suddenly refuses to load tracks in solo mode. Restarting the game helps sometimes. There was a while where all the checkpoint times claimed that I had both cleared the track in .001 second, and that I was also improving on that time, but that got fixed by a patch pretty quickly. This game definitely seems to be a work in progress.

I got in some quality time this evening, and am happy to say this time round the experience was crash/glitch free in every respect. Now I feel like the game is getting a chance to show me its qualities. Helps that I'm starting to figure out what various bits and bobs mean, as well as building some expectations about what the game is supposed to be doing at different points.

I'd like to say that it all started coming together, and I raced well, but franky, my bar was finishing a given match inside the top 50% of racers! I did get up to 5th rank once! For a few seconds

I continue to not 'get' ice :supaburn:

Shadowlz
Oct 3, 2011

The map of the day for today is pretty loving cool not gonna lie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

What does club add, really? I bought a year of 'standard' for $10 and I don't see what I'm missing..

This game is very good.