Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

Snake boy should splash out on a fancier mask

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

Its not a bad mask it could just do with some bedazzling

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
TAZ is my favorite ornithologist

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

CBT claw

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
This match is solid but I'm still enjoying Dark primarily as a Taz-Excalibur podcast that happens to be taking place while wrestling goes on in the background

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH

xbilkis posted:

This match is solid but I'm still enjoying Dark primarily as a Taz-Excalibur podcast that happens to be taking place while wrestling goes on in the background

They've got a strong Jim Nantz/Tony Romo energy going tonight

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

Moves like everybody in the company does

1) Banderas/Kameguri (sp?)
2) Diamond Cutter

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Serpentico is passable but he's probably at his professional ceiling here.
Scorpio Sky is really good but I don't know if he's on the same level as the guys in the WHC discussion.

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:
Cutler & Avalon got this one tonight, I believe in them!

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

"TAZ, I will let you know... they sucked as individuals, too." :allears: yeah, Dark owns as the TAZ and Excalibur podcast with wrestling included

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

All on the main event to save this, but it could be fun

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

MorningMoon posted:

"TAZ, I will let you know... they sucked as individuals, too." :allears: yeah, Dark owns as the TAZ and Excalibur podcast with wrestling included

They've been good!

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

God! UNO and Stu are so good

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

oh but seriously I posted:

They've been good!

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum
Taz picking up major TTRPG heat here.

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

One week the creepers all did a synchronized Dark Order salute, they should bring that back

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
The fine tuning of the Dark Order gimmick really makes it work, IMO

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Imagine saying a year ago that one of the hypest hot tags would be Cutler tagging in Avalon against the Dark Order

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

Match slaps

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

I love that Avalon and Cutler get to have a lot of offense. Explicitly making their problem mental and teamwork is a cool way for them to be jobbers but still get cool spots

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
This match is a nice showcase for Player's Handbook

Nice moonsault by Peter

poo poo, Uno looks injured

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova

El Gallinero Gros posted:

poo poo, Uno looks injured

I assumed this was just retconning why it's Brodie/Stu/Colt in the tag match tomorrow

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

Pretty middling but the main was fun

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

I continue to not get Uno. His contribution to this match involved some decent physical charisma and yeeting Stu at people.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

oh but seriously I posted:

Pretty middling but the main was fun

I thought Scorpio vs Serpentico was good

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Skipping through some matches i missed, did they seriously give ten whole minutes to kip vs loving luther?

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed
The power of friendship thing with Cutler and Avalon is charming and now I actually hope they both get their first win together rather than building to a match between them.

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

Dr. Abysmal posted:

The power of friendship thing with Cutler and Avalon is charming and now I actually hope they both get their first win together rather than building to a match between them.

I believe :911:

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

the Butcher and the Blade and the Brothers are so loving good together.

holy gently caress they mega combo super murdered joe alonzo

TAZ loving losing it with Nakazawa's underwear bit /:allears:

"SHAWN DEAN NOOOOOOOOO!"

MorningMoon fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Jul 8, 2020

Crapple!
Nov 1, 2019

A couple of good matches but that was pretty much the opposite of what I was hoping for from this episode. I was hoping Pillman jr. would get a longer match and the same for Orange Cassidy. Instead they gave what seemed like 500 years to Luther and Chanel, 2 of the most dollar-store gimmicks you'll ever see. I'm still just flabbergasted that Swole didn't win in seconds. On the other hand I really liked Serpentico/Sky and Cutler and Avalon/Dark Order. The latter is such a natural matchup since the DO has been preying on losers and I could see the Cutler/Avalon story culminating with victory against the Dark Order after the latter fails to recruit them. I'm of 2 minds as to whether I would rather see them pick up their first wins that way or if they instead build to the 1 v 1 match that people have been really hoping for.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

Was Chanel some kind of rib we're just not in on or something?

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

CarlCX posted:

Was Chanel some kind of rib we're just not in on or something?

It looks like it's just her gimmick. I don't know a ton about her but a quick Google makes it look like shes pretty green. Maybe another QT student?

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

It makes sense that OC, the "least effort" wrestler, just decides to hit his finisher at the beginning of the match to end it ASAP

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Davros1 posted:

It makes sense that OC, the "least effort" wrestler, just decides to hit his finisher at the beginning of the match to end it ASAP

I feel like this version of OC is officially a different gimmick than indies OC but they've done a very good job at making him a main event wrestler while sticking to the spirit of the gimmick.

DuhSal
Aug 16, 2004

I will, brother. I promise.

Pillbug

MorningMoon posted:

there was a scare there one episode where taz was heeling it up and they sounded adversarial but I'm relieved to see that it was only one week and since then they've been back to shooting the poo poo and cracking each other up every chance they get. it's such a perfect feel for this type of show.

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

Had to make a couple clips from tonight's Dark.

https://i.imgur.com/IsgdOip.mp4

https://i.imgur.com/u1EsLAx.mp4

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

Dr. Abysmal posted:

Sorry to the goon that was looking forward to seeing Will Hobbs in the general AEW thread

Coward Tony did my boy dirty!!!!

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Darkthoughts

1) Brian Pillman Jr vs Shawn Spears. Brian Pillman has guns on his butt. Faye Jackson in the crowd! Aww yes. Pillman has a very sellable look, and a few very cute grappling tricks early on. He does territories babyface well. I could see them making him a Cody opponent at some point. Spears is improving as a bully, and looked dangerous here. This was an enjoyable opener.

2) Rache Chanel vs Big Swole. I love Rache Chanel's look. (Swole, Swole, Swole, Swole). This was slow to start, with too many headlocks early on. The match was very stop-and-start, with neither opponent able to really engage with the other's style. Swole was trying, but Chanel isn't ready for prime time. Or even Dark, honestly. Swole looked annoyed with how the match went.

3) Frankie Kazarian vs Japanese Deathmatch Legend Luther. Excalibur lays a heavy body blow on Luther before the match even starts. Kazarian is in excellent shape. Luther is weird and screechy. I'm going to make coffee. The thing about Luther is that he's actually an all-rounder. He is bad at every aspect of professional wrestling.

4) Joe Alonso, Brady Pierce, Tony Donati and Butterfly Guy versus the Butcher and the Blade and LUCHA BROS MEXI KINGS CERO MIEDO MEET YOU IN THE RING. I have missed Fenix and Pentagon so very much. Donati comes out hot and IMMEDIATELY gets snuffed out. I just love watching B&B work. They are a proper old school monster tag team. This was quick, but such a good way to establish B&B and Lucha Bros as a threat.

Please stop it with the bikini girl shots.

5) Will Hobbs vs Orange Cassidy. Will Hobbs is built like a loving door. If he has talent to go with it, he could be a major threat. Or maybe not. Good way to establish the superman punch as a threat I guess.

6) Michael Nakazawa vs Sean Dean. I like both of these guys. Dean especially has huge upside if you use him right. This was pretty good fun. I wondered if this was a test match to see how Dean did with more offense, and if so he did a pretty good job until the jockstrap came out.

7) Serpentico vs Scorpio Sky. Sky's music remains fantastic. Serpentico has a great look. Hire Jon Cruz just for his experience, guys. This match builds well, but Taz keeps calling Serpentico "Serpico". Just generally a very fun match.

8) Player's Handbook vs the Dark Order. OK, at this point I think it's a deliberate rib not to show the dice. Uno is in excellent shape now. Obviously Grayson is the body guy, but Uno has put some work in. Avalon and Cutler are super good fun together. Grayson's gear looks better too. One of the things I like most about Player's Handbook is that they DO have good showings. They shine as good guys, they have good team chemistry, their offense is solid and looks like it hurts. Which makes their losses sting even more. Did Uno hurt his wrist here?

Not the best Dark, but there were two or three very good matches here.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I know I say it a lot, but goddamn do I love Orange Cassidy's Superman Punch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
A few questions: what's w/ Penta's hand thing he does all the time. It takes a lot of time as far as wrestling poses go. And what's with the DFE shirts a fair amount of the crowd wear, searching for it just gets a lot of Department for Education which I don't think is it.

I can see it. Really strange match. I enjoyed it, and Serpentico looked really good, but just doesn't seem what you want for pushing Sky to his strong singles run.

Not a great Dark. Swole/Chanel was bad, Luther/Kaz was bad, I enjoy watching OC wrestle so a 30 second squash match was a disappointment. Also, he should get a different shirt, that one's got blood on it. The Butcher, the Blade, and the Brothers had some cool moves. Spears and Pillman was ok. Last two matches were good though!