Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe

Thanatosian posted:

Messenger integration with the PC is probably the biggest selling point of Fi for me.

Doesn't Google Messenger for Web do this for everyone now?

It'll relay through the phone, so the phone still needs some signal, but if so then you can text from the PC all day on any service.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

i hosted a great goon meet and all i got was this lousy avatar
Grimey Drawer

FunOne posted:

Doesn't Google Messenger for Web do this for everyone now?

It'll relay through the phone, so the phone still needs some signal, but if so then you can text from the PC all day on any service.
Hangouts doesn't use the phone to relay, which is great for two-factor if there's a problem with your phone.

I tried Messenger (I think back when it was in beta or very early release), and also found it to be bad in comparison with Hangouts.

Tanith
Jul 17, 2005

Alpha, Beta, Gamma cores
Use them, lose them, salvage more
Kick off the next AI war
In the Persean Sector
Is there a way to fix the link handling in Hangouts so it opens the url as typed, instead of routing it through "google.com/url?q=http://..." ? Links in the shade notifications open normally, without the prefix. It's breaking opening links in their appropriate app and really frustrating. :mad:

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
How is Google’s spam call filtering service?

I’ve been getting a lot of spam/robocalls lately so I want to start using it. However, I’ve also been getting a lot of calls from delivery people who no longer ring the buzzer, they just call me when they get here and leave the delivery in the lobby. So obviously I need to make sure I’ll still get those calls.

Does spam filtering have some list of known spam numbers to block? Or does it just block any number that’s not in my address book or call history?

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Don't use the call screening, it's awful. The regular spam thing that lets you know if a number is spam works pretty good. But the call screening sends all kinds of stuff that you don't want screened to the screener.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
I think it's great. I've never had it screen a call that was an actual human trying to get in contact with me.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Mine seems to work pretty well. The calls come in and I never realize it, occasionally they leave a 3 second empty voicemail which is the only way I know it's actually working.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

FogHelmut posted:

Don't use the call screening, it's awful. The regular spam thing that lets you know if a number is spam works pretty good. But the call screening sends all kinds of stuff that you don't want screened to the screener.

Stuff like what?

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

American McGay posted:

I think it's great. I've never had it screen a call that was an actual human trying to get in contact with me.

It happened twice and I turned that poo poo off.

ThermoPhysical posted:

Stuff like what?

Like actual humans trying to get in contact with me. People I'm working with, not in my contacts.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

FogHelmut posted:

It happened twice and I turned that poo poo off.

Like actual humans trying to get in contact with me. People I'm working with, not in my contacts.

Did you have it set up correctly? It's only supposed to screen calls if they're suspected spam numbers. If a number isn't in your contacts but it just a regular number it should go through.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

American McGay posted:

Did you have it set up correctly? It's only supposed to screen calls if they're suspected spam numbers. If a number isn't in your contacts but it just a regular number it should go through.

As far as I could tell. It was sending people calling me from the office line to the screening. My company isn't in the spam business, so I don't know.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

i hosted a great goon meet and all i got was this lousy avatar
Grimey Drawer
Android Police reported that Google is going to take Hangouts message archives and put them into Google Chat (https://www.androidpolice.com/2020/05/19/google-finally-begins-the-transition-from-hangouts-to-google-chat/) for GSuite business users. Anyone know if they're planning to do the same thing for Google Fi customers?

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

我不喜歡這項新功能,該功能會將Google Fi手機中的長文本轉換為收件人手機上的中文

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*

pig slut lisa posted:

我不喜歡這項新功能,該功能會將Google Fi手機中的長文本轉換為收件人手機上的中文

This happened to my fiance last night when she was texting a friend. Wtf is going on? It shows English on her side, but her friend sent a screencap and it is all in Chinese.

Seems like it is limited to Verizon recipients and 161+ char messages. Messages are getting decoded UTF16-BE instead of UTF-8, which is how they are encoded.

Bloodplay it again fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Jun 10, 2020

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

My son has decided to save up for an iPhone because he's 14 and that's what his friends have. I don't recall the exact model he wants, but are there any issues with iPhones on Fi? I know it won't do network switching, and I just need to double check the one he wants against Fi's list of compatible phones.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

a mysterious cloak posted:

My son has decided to save up for an iPhone because he's 14 and that's what his friends have. I don't recall the exact model he wants, but are there any issues with iPhones on Fi? I know it won't do network switching, and I just need to double check the one he wants against Fi's list of compatible phones.

My wife is using an iPhone 7 with Google fi and the only weird thing we've noticed is she has to do voicemail through the app and not the phone itself.

Haven't had any issues for 4+ months so far.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

From Fi's website: "You'll have calls, texts, and data on T-Mobile's network as well as international roaming. You won't be able to make calls or text over Wi-Fi, use visual voicemail, or use data hotspot outside the US." Also, texting will work with some additional setup, but iMessage works right away. All phones must run iOS 11.0 or higher.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

He wants an iPhone X which is compatible. That sentence about no calls/text over wifi, no visual voicemail, and no data hotspots only applies outside the US, if I'm reading it correctly?

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Is there something google fi does to lock their phones? I got a Father's day sale g power with the intent to put in my Verizon sim and cancel the fi service after a month. But whenever I put the sim in, I get Verizon call/text service but 1x data thats not even connected. Been that way for a week, Verizon has no clue what's going on

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Anyone have issues with Google Music saying it has downloaded songs/albums and then... not? I've had a fuckton of fuckups from that app and it's really starting to irritate me.

BrownieVK
Nov 10, 2009

Eat my ass

Johnny Truant posted:

Anyone have issues with Google Music saying it has downloaded songs/albums and then... not? I've had a fuckton of fuckups from that app and it's really starting to irritate me.

All the time. I used to try to dump all of my CD and vinyl rips onto it but I just gave up and exclusively stream with it. I still prefer Google music to everything else out there.
My biggest annoyance is when connecting to my cars Bluetooth, if I accidentally clicked a twitter video or YouTube before getting into the car it defaults to that instead of music and I can't figure out a way around it.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I think that's an Android thing. When I put on my headphones and click play, it plays the last thing that was outputting audio. If it was a browser tab that isn't open anymore, nothing happens.

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

Johnny Truant posted:

I'm having the opposite problem. I have some albums on my computer that I keep trying to upload to Google, and it says that they uploaded successfully, but they don't appear in my library until I upload it a second or third time. It's really weird and I have no idea how to fix it. Also, it's not letting me change the album art of any albums I've uploaded through GMM either, which is somehow more annoying than it not uploading the music on the first try.

Uthor posted:

I think that's an Android thing. When I put on my headphones and click play, it plays the last thing that was outputting audio. If it was a browser tab that isn't open anymore, nothing happens.

My phone will re-open apps that were playing audio when my bluetooth connects, even if I force closed them. It doesn't matter how long ago I closed it, it'll still pop up that audiobook/podcast/music when I hop in my car.

Soysaucebeast fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Jul 8, 2020

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Is Google phasing out Google Music, or merging it into YT Music or some poo poo? I get an announcement every loving time I open up the app trying to get me to switch to it. No! gently caress off!

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Johnny Truant posted:

Is Google phasing out Google Music, or merging it into YT Music or some poo poo? I get an announcement every loving time I open up the app trying to get me to switch to it. No! gently caress off!

they probably are, it's what they do

McPhearson
Aug 4, 2007

Hot Damn!

They're phasing out Play Music later this year. Which really sucks because I like the Play Music interface way more than YouTube Music, and YouTube Music doesn't support podcasts. You have to transfer your Play Music podcast subscriptions to the Google Podcasts app, because who doesn't love having to use multiple apps to get all the features they had in one before?

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

McPhearson posted:

They're phasing out Play Music later this year. Which really sucks because I like the Play Music interface way more than YouTube Music, and YouTube Music doesn't support podcasts. You have to transfer your Play Music podcast subscriptions to the Google Podcasts app, because who doesn't love having to use multiple apps to get all the features they had in one before?

Fuuuuuuuuuck that! The Play interface is like, pretty drat nice! I haven't even touched YT Music since I installed it.

:sigh:

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Yeah I don't really like Spotify but I'm going to have to start using Spotify.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

FogHelmut posted:

Yeah I don't really like Spotify but I'm going to have to start using Spotify.

I just listen to my MP3s :smuggo:

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

I'm guessing I'll need to switch the subscription from Play over to this new YT Music if I use it, but I also bet that they would keep charging me for the Play subscription if I didn't :fuckoff:

I might switch back to Spotify too, cause... yeah gently caress YT Music.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

I mostly use Play Music (at least on my tablet) for the mood/decade/activity/whatever playlists, a feature I used on a different app, now defunct after Google bought the company and rolled the feature into Play Music. Where are those playlists going to go? :(

Play Music is also my default player for MP3s on my phone. I don't care about streaming music (apart from the curated stuff mentioned above) or recommendations, really, so should I even bother with YT Music? I didn't use Spotify for long, but it felt like it did nothing for me.

eta: Okay, the curated stuff is still there. I pulled in all my MP3s and tried to make a playlist. No, not a YouTube playlist; one with my local files. I added the first song and it threw an error. Great.

Hirayuki fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Jul 23, 2020

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

YouTube Music is fine, I switched when prompted. The interface is different, but not "difficult" or anything. And frankly Google Podcasts is better than GPM was (for podcasts).

Unrelated, has anyone had issues with the free 100GB of Google One storage through an unlimted Fi plan? As of Monday I got errors in both Gmail and Drive saying I only had the default 15GB of storage (vs the 100GB I've had since I paid for it in Drive and then started getting it for free through Fi Unlimited). Support has been AWFUL at understanding what's going on. They say on their end that it looks like I canceled my Google One subscription (probably shows that because it was when I switched to the unlimited plan) but in my Google One account settings it shows me on the 100GB plan (and says "discounted by Fi"). They keep telling me to just "choose the 100GB plan" which I can't because I'm already on it, it's just that it's not propagating over to the places that actually use the storage (Drive/Gmail).

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

Johnny Truant posted:

I'm guessing I'll need to switch the subscription from Play over to this new YT Music if I use it, but I also bet that they would keep charging me for the Play subscription if I didn't :fuckoff:

I might switch back to Spotify too, cause... yeah gently caress YT Music.

I'm fairly certain the subscription switches over to YTM automatically. I think I read that anyway. I don't hate the YTM interface, but it's not as good as the GPM one. I do like the option to pull up lyrics at will in YTM though. I figure it'll take some time for me to get used to it, but right now I don't think I'm going to jump ship.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

I don't know if this is still the case or not, but when I got GPM, it was tied into YouTube Red, so even if I have to deal with YT Music moving forward (which I won't), I still have no-ads on YouTube, which I will never give up. That might be worth staying on board.

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

Takoluka posted:

I don't know if this is still the case or not, but when I got GPM, it was tied into YouTube Red, so even if I have to deal with YT Music moving forward (which I won't), I still have no-ads on YouTube, which I will never give up. That might be worth staying on board.

That's basically where I am. I'm keeping Youtube Red no matter what, and Spotify/Amazon Music/whatever else is not enough of a jump up from YTM to have me pay an additional 15$ a month on top of that (in addition to having to re-make all my playlists). My opinion might change in the future, or my boyfriend might hate YTM, get a different subscription, and let me piggy back off of it. But that's where I'm at right now.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

You know, I won't complain about the switch to YT Music if it solves the loving problem of telling Play Music to download an album, it going through all the motions including filling up its little orange progress bar-circle, and then not downloading any part of the album except for the first 30 seconds of the first song. :fuckoff:

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Takoluka posted:

My cc info expired without me realizing it earlier this year and instead of warning me I wound up losing my old subscription, the cheaper price, and my YouTube red perks.

And now I’m on an iPhone with Apple Music cause that was basically the main perk of the google ecosystem for me :confuoot:

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Anyone else's Chrome freezing up and only displaying a black screen?

Only the second or third time this has occurred, but it persists until I restart my phone.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I have not had that specific problem, but mine constantly stops updating it's graphics, sometimes displaying what it had been, sometimes displaying white. It still responds to taps (I'll be able to play/pause videos or go back using the back button). Going to the home screen or tapping the app switcher will get it back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Johnny Truant posted:

Anyone else's Chrome freezing up and only displaying a black screen?

Only the second or third time this has occurred, but it persists until I restart my phone.

I'm not on FI but my S10e started this recently, except it's a white screen (maybe you're on dark mode?). I'm on the newest, July 1 2020 update for my phone.

App switcher/home/closing Chrome doesn't fix it. Restart will do it, or one time I gave up, didn't have time to bother with rebooting, and came back later and it was working.