Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

power hungry IT managers and nerds still mad about the iPod 20 years later and using macs at work: its you that is obsolete.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
I love Apple products because after working with computers all day I don’t want to gently caress with them at home. You know how much tech support my wife needs for her MacBook Air and iPhone? Absolutely zero except for “ok honey I added our new network printer have fun.”

One of the few people that has a Mac at work? Lol good luck you’re on your loving own bitch.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Imagine being so worked up over what kind of computer or phone someone likes

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Sweevo posted:

We have a strict "No Macs, no exceptions" policy at work, and it's great because I loving hate having to deal with Mac owners. It's like talking to people in a cult.

thats good. i like this policy

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
From what I understand, the macbook pro is a pretty substantial machine and lasts quite a while. I guess bootcamp works well if you need Windows stuff, but who knows how long that will last. Apple is switching to their own ARM architecture soon, and based on their past behavior, once they switch to a new thing, the old thing they did might as well be thrown in the garbage because they don't support it anymore. I don't know the exact details, but it seems like when they switched to 64bit, you couldn't even use 32bit applications anymore. That's why I'll just stick with windows. I just got this thinkpad for school and I really like it, I can add more RAM if I want, and I can swap out the m.2 SSD for a bigger one. And it was cheaper than a macbook and will run everything I'll need.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

Imagine being so worked up over what kind of computer or phone someone likes

i just said i didnt like apple and didnt buy their products and you got pissed and started using dumb words like "woke"

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
Lol keep dreaming mac apologists. Your smugness only furthers the point that there's no sane argument for buying apples, only a cult of personality that you're all fallen victim to. Might as well become scientologists and burn the remainder of your cash on "spiritual technology" aka a loving volt meter hooked up to cans.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Cojawfee posted:

From what I understand, the macbook pro is a pretty substantial machine and lasts quite a while. I guess bootcamp works well if you need Windows stuff, but who knows how long that will last. Apple is switching to their own ARM architecture soon, and based on their past behavior, once they switch to a new thing, the old thing they did might as well be thrown in the garbage because they don't support it anymore. I don't know the exact details, but it seems like when they switched to 64bit, you couldn't even use 32bit applications anymore. That's why I'll just stick with windows. I just got this thinkpad for school and I really like it, I can add more RAM if I want, and I can swap out the m.2 SSD for a bigger one. And it was cheaper than a macbook and will run everything I'll need.

old thinkpads are incredible, there was a sweet spot around the early 2010s where, if you bought a lenovo laptop, you bought something for relatively little money that can still be used today for light gaming and browsing and work. i didnt have a thinkpad but i bought a G580 and although its really battered now it still works and with and SSD its still a great machine that suffers very little slowdown. im thinking of refurbishing it as a little project, like replacing the bezels and screen

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Someone called apple a death cult and blamed society's ills on the ipod earlier. It never fails to amuse even after all of these years how people get so mad about apple's success

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Last Chance posted:

Someone called apple a death cult and blamed society's ills on the ipod earlier. It never fails to amuse even after all of these years how people get so mad about apple's success

you and your ilk really are the ultimate puppet masters. LOL. keep me updated on your gaming experiences on mac.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

LifeSunDeath posted:

Lol keep dreaming mac apologists. Your smugness only furthers the point that there's no sane argument for buying apples, only a cult of personality that you're all fallen victim to. Might as well become scientologists and burn the remainder of your cash on "spiritual technology" aka a loving volt meter hooked up to cans.

my pet theory for why people like apple is just that steve jobs once made "that one face" where he grabs his chin and stares at you and theres a certain kind of person who gets really impressed by that and it works like mind control

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Shibawanko posted:

my pet theory for why people like apple is just that steve jobs once made "that one face" where he grabs his chin and stares at you and theres a certain kind of person who gets really impressed by that and it works like mind control

also that he was a notorious shithead who was dunking on gullible people. It's a sunk cost fallacy situation with ongoing mac users, trying to convince themselves they're not owned, just quirky and unique by being less like PC sheeple.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

LifeSunDeath posted:

You sound like a well adjusted individual

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

I like my macbook and over the years I've had multiple men initiate aggressive conversations with me about how I have the wrong kind of computer. It rules and is funny

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

You sound like a well adjusted individual

My family were scientologists for a while when I was a kid...I have some pretty strong feelings about cults yes.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Iron Crowned posted:

I mean it is a stealth death cult on top of that, because the iPod is what has led us to hellworld we live in.

I like my ipod classic tyvm. The form factor is just, perfect for a media player. :colbert:

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Pretty good posted:

I like my macbook and over the years I've had multiple men initiate aggressive conversations with me about how I have the wrong kind of computer. It rules and is funny

It’s happening in this thread!

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Pretty good posted:

id never do that and thats dumb, but i wouldnt ever buy one

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

This is some Nintendo vs Sega schoolyard level arguing.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Collateral Damage posted:

Nah, each side of that argument had valid points. There's no valid points for owning an Apple other than "Heehee, I also like brands!"

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Collateral Damage posted:

its really more like nintendo vs atari jaguar

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Randaconda posted:

Nah, each side of that argument had valid points. There's no valid points for owning an Apple other than "Heehee, I also like brands!"

Steve Jobs was the Elon Musk of the 00's

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Randaconda posted:

Hey, don’t discount laziness!

My first smartphone was a free iPhone from a family member who upgraded. It requires basically zero effort to just upgrade to a new model (Which I’ve done like twice in like 6 years) and have everything transfer over than to get a different brand. Other than an old iPod classic, it’s the only Apple product I have.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

i owned an ipod mini for a while, a friend gave it to me because he hated itunes and didnt feel like returning it. i used it but i hated itunes too so i went back to my mp3 player

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Randaconda posted:

I have an Apple tm MacBook tm computer. I freaking love brand.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

had a little ipad shuffle that i used for maybe a month. it had wifi and could actually do a ton of poo poo but itunes brought my systems to their knees every time so i hated it

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

boar guy posted:

had a little ipad shuffle that i used for maybe a month. it had wifi and could actually do a ton of poo poo but itunes brought my systems to their knees every time so i hated it

it just works

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Randaconda posted:

No this is a gender issue, you're clearly berating someone right now based on that, it was never about brand loyalty cults.

aardwolf
Apr 27, 2013

KozmoNaut posted:

Their USB-C to 3.5mm headphone dongle is quite good and cheaper than anything that comes near it in performance.

And that's about it.

It's weirdly cheap considering the markup on everything else in the Apple product line :tinfoil:

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
What makes it so good? I use the USB-C to headphone jack dongle that came with my phone and it seems fine. Not sure what could be better about it.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
I have no informed opinion about the qualitative difference between Apple and Android or Windows because I haven't used an Apple product since elementary school in the 80s.

But I do think it's telling that every single case you can buy for any Apple product, third party or first party, always has a big cutout to make absolutely sure that everyone can see the Apple logo on your phone or laptop. Apparently that's a really key feature for Apple users.

In any aspect of my life from groceries on up to cars, I absolutely loath feeling like I'm spending a single extra dime that buys me nothing but branding. Which is the biggest reason I've never owned an apple product. Because I've always been able to find products that do 98% of the same things for a third of the price without paying 300% more for the precious logo.

Imagined has a new favorite as of 17:19 on Jul 8, 2020

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

My wife uses Macs exclusively at work and I'm kinda jealous because her poo poo always works like a dream while my PC stuff requires a bit more upkeep (which I don't mind because I like touching computers.) It seems it works really well for her and the whole ecosystem just kinda meshes together so everything you want to do is a no-brainer?

Lol at the people in this thread who probably started hating macs in 1998 because "lol that computer has colors in it" and have nursed their resentment for decades while managing their badly functioning Linux systems. All those years of toiling with the terminal trying to get sound card drivers to compile while happy and succesfull apple users don't even acknowledge their existence at work, being superior beings who have no time in their life for bitter PC grognards.

e: oh, I forgot that there's the blatant misogyny thing too, always a sign of a well-adjusted individual just making Good Arguments about Why You Shouldn't Use a Certain Brand of Computer

barbecue at the folks has a new favorite as of 17:27 on Jul 8, 2020

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Cojawfee posted:

What makes it so good? I use the USB-C to headphone jack dongle that came with my phone and it seems fine. Not sure what could be better about it.

The headphone jack pushed me into a Pixel 3a, suck it donglailures

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Iron Crowned posted:

The headphone jack pushed me into a Pixel 3a, suck it donglailures

I had a jack on my previous phone but my sister gave me a Pixel 2 XL when she got a new phone. Beggars can't be choosers.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

barbecue at the folks posted:

My wife uses Macs exclusively at work and I'm kinda jealous because her poo poo always works like a dream while my PC stuff requires a bit more upkeep (which I don't mind because I like touching computers.) It seems it works really well for her and the whole ecosystem just kinda meshes together so everything you want to do is a no-brainer?

Lol at the people in this thread who probably started hating macs in 1998 because "lol that computer has colors in it" and have nursed their resentment for decades while managing their badly functioning Linux systems. All those years of toiling with the terminal trying to get sound card drivers to compile while happy and succesfull apple users don't even acknowledge their existence at work, being superior beings who have no time in their life for bitter PC grognards.

I understand the need and appeal for "it just works", but it's not all upsides. Commitment to that has a cost, and a trade-off in priorities. A PS4 "just works" because the user can't change it or customize it in any significant way. Sony makes all the decisions and the user can either take it or leave it. That's great for someone who doesn't WANT to customize things. My impression is that Apple products have the same philosophy. And it's not like even things that "just work" never break, because they're material objects made by human beings. But when they do break, you either have to buy a new one or have someone else fix it.

For myself, I would much rather be able to customize every aspect of how my device works and make those decisions myself even if it means I have to do some troubleshooting and gently caress with things every once in a while. And be able to fix it myself when it breaks, because everything does, instead of throwing it away or taking it to a "Genius" who works at the mall.

Imagined has a new favorite as of 17:30 on Jul 8, 2020

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

Imagined posted:

For myself, I would much rather be able to customize every aspect of how my device works and make those decisions myself even if it means I have to do some troubleshooting and gently caress with things every once in a while.

Good for you! My SO likes the fact that she can just turn on the computer and start getting down to actual work without having to make those decisions because she is an overworked professional and her time is precious. I like Windows 10 because it allows me to do exactly as much as I feel the need to do to make my computer mine and that's enough for me.

So all of us have our favourite computer! For some reason there still exist a lot of people for whom having a fave computer means that they have to start dropping dogwhistle misogyny and accusations of a DEATH CULT whenever Apple is mentioned, and I find that frankly puzzling. What is wrong with those people and what made them that way? The mind boggles.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

LifeSunDeath posted:

No this is a gender issue, you're clearly berating someone right now based on that, it was never about brand loyalty cults.

A gender issue? I don't get you, I assume everybody on this site, especially, are dudes.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

barbecue at the folks posted:

Good for you! My SO likes the fact that she can just turn on the computer and start getting down to actual work without having to make those decisions because she is an overworked professional and her time is precious. I like Windows 10 because it allows me to do exactly as much as I feel the need to do to make my computer mine and that's enough for me.

So all of us have our favourite computer! For some reason there still exist a lot of people for whom having a fave computer means that they have to start dropping dogwhistle misogyny and accusations of a DEATH CULT whenever Apple is mentioned, and I find that frankly puzzling. What is wrong with those people and what made them that way? The mind boggles.

This is a good post and I agree with it.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
My favorite experience with Apple was getting my FILs ringtone set to a song he had already bought on iTunes. It required access to a desktop or laptop, thankfully he had both because the laptop hosed it up somehow but their desktop worked and 21 steps later the song was able to be heard when someone called him.

I'm pretty sure every android I've owned has allowed me to choose a section of an mp3 to play as a ringtone without any additional hardware.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Nocheez posted:

My favorite experience with Apple was getting my FILs ringtone set to a song he had already bought on iTunes. It required access to a desktop or laptop, thankfully he had both because the laptop hosed it up somehow but their desktop worked and 21 steps later the song was able to be heard when someone called him.

I'm pretty sure every android I've owned has allowed me to choose a section of an mp3 to play as a ringtone without any additional hardware.

it just works