Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

for the first episode is anyone else, like, thinking that he was developing schizophrenia, or had some other psychotic break due to work or was on the outs because of the things he was writing about, thought he had to go to the hotel for whatever reason (secret society paranoia, meeting someone, genuine sudden suicidal intent) made his way to the roof (while someone on a break isn't exactly inconspicuous, the swiss cheese model of failure is a thing) got to one of the corners and was pushed or slipped (what was the weather like that day?) fell down, bounced off the ledge and tumbled down to the roof? I mean, the momentum a cell phone or pair of glasses wouldn't exactly come close to a 250 or whatever pound man so its far from unusual to see those relatively undamaged.

firstly even with "bouncing off" the ledge he's not going to end up 40 feet away from the hotel, and secondly if you think a pair of glasses would survive a fall like that you've obviously never worn any

Julio Cruz fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Jul 7, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Friend posted:

And it totally seemed like if you slid from the roof to that lower edge, you could easily jump to the hole.

the roof is like two storeys above the ledge, it's a very nearly vertical wall and the ledge looks to be 3 or 4 feet wide at most, good luck sliding down that

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.

Julio Cruz posted:

firstly even with "bouncing off" the ledge he's not going to end up 40 feet away from the hotel, and secondly if you think a pair of glasses would survive a fall like that you've obviously never worn any

Ok well first off i do wear glasses so im very familiar with their weight. And second off 40 feet is from the part furthest from the hole, iirc. The corners are much closer and depending on how much momentum gets transferred to the horizontal, yeah it's very possible. Thing is we just do not know how he fell. Maybe the glasses went down with him but when he made contact with the roof, momentum got transferred to the glasses to make them bounce off his face. or maybe he was oriented i such a way where the glasses came down right on top of his face and the plastic collision again bounced the glasses off and bleeding the downward momentum. We just don't know. What a way to start a new page...

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
so your theory is that after falling roughly 20 feet from the roof he hit a flat ledge hard enough to catapult him 40 feet away from the building

his glasses were not flung off by this impact but instead remained on his face until some point later in the fall when they somehow bounced off his face so as to take no damage when they landed

and this also somehow happened to his cell phone

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
Why are you just making up assumptions about what I said rather than what I actually said?

Chaos makes weird and hard to explain things happen.

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Do you think I posted to this forum because I value your companionship?

Maybe it is just because I watched a ton of Netflix during the stay-at-home portion of my pandemic but watching episode one all that I could think about was the first episode of Ozark, especially when the whole investment firm including his "best friend" instantly clammed up about everything when the investigation started. But who knows, the show certainly didn't go into that at all .

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

NorgLyle posted:

Maybe it is just because I watched a ton of Netflix during the stay-at-home portion of my pandemic but watching episode one all that I could think about was the first episode of Ozark, especially when the whole investment firm including his "best friend" instantly clammed up about everything when the investigation started. But who knows, the show certainly didn't go into that at all .

I know you can't assume guilt based on things that just seem like odd behavior, but like....why didn't the company cooperate with investigators? What could they possibly have had to hide if the guy had simply become psychotic or suicidal and jumped off a building? It's not even like he jumped out of their building, I just don't see the downside in cooperating unless there was something shady going on that they didn't want uncovered.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Why are you just making up assumptions about what I said rather than what I actually said?

Chaos makes weird and hard to explain things happen.

oops my bad

clearly I forgot to take into account the ~chaos~ involved in *checks notes* a guy falling off a roof

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

"13 minutes" felt the closest to classic Unsolved Mysteries to me, but I enjoyed the season as a whole more or less. The last episode:

was loving insane and depressing. A woman definitely killed her ex-husband and daughter, and now she has custody of the dead daughter's kid. I watched these out of order, thankfully, and finished with the UFO one to wash that taste out of my mouth.

I would have enjoyed a ghost story episode, though, those were my favorite as a kid. I remember a haunted hotel and some guy cleaning the bathroom when a disembodied head started floating in the mirror. It terrified me and has stuck with me for 20+ years at this point.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

McSpanky posted:

So much this. This is the loving ur-example of slapping a brand name on an already-finished product in a cynical attempt to boost interest. And the episodes themselves aren't even that interesting! Each one could've been a tight half-hour if they weren't so tediously overproduced, ugh.

I've been watching classic reruns on Pluto and even with repetitious ads for lovely conservative TV and MTV reality shows, it still holds up. Stack was a drat boss.
Pluto is some good poo poo

24/7 Channels for Unsolved Mysteries and Forensic Files and Classic Doctor Who and Mystery Science Theater 3000 and Rifftrax

Also a 24/7 channel for PoV Norwegian train rides for some reason

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010

Julio Cruz posted:

oops my bad

clearly I forgot to take into account the ~chaos~ involved in *checks notes* a guy falling off a roof

Are you really trying to say that probability has no role to play in how a body tumbles through the air or how objects on said body interact with the environment? There are an infinite number of ways things can fall and since no one knows the exact way things fell, we kind of have to assume the broadest possible outcome.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

A Fancy Hat posted:

I would have enjoyed a ghost story episode, though, those were my favorite as a kid. I remember a haunted hotel and some guy cleaning the bathroom when a disembodied head started floating in the mirror. It terrified me and has stuck with me for 20+ years at this point.

:stare:

If you find this, please post it.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

:stare:

If you find this, please post it.

It's this, I believe: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lAZ3eqIXZEc&t=150s

e: yep:

Watermelon Daiquiri fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Jul 8, 2020

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Are you really trying to say that probability has no role to play in how a body tumbles through the air or how objects on said body interact with the environment? There are an infinite number of ways things can fall and since no one knows the exact way things fell, we kind of have to assume the broadest possible outcome.

you clearly don't understand probability very well if your takeaway is "well we can't rule out anything no matter how unlikely it is"

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010

Julio Cruz posted:

you clearly don't understand probability very well if your takeaway is "well we can't rule out anything no matter how unlikely it is"

:rolleyes: It's lucky then that I'm not talking about unlikely things. Why is it so hard to imagine that something could happen that you wouldn't expect?

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

:rolleyes: It's lucky then that I'm not talking about unlikely things. Why is it so hard to imagine that something could happen that you wouldn't expect?

glasses and a cell phone being almost undamaged after falling 100 feet is "not unlikely"? OK yeah sure whatever you win

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
My point is that you cannot say something is unlikely with any certainty. I know you are implying it, but there common sense is neither common, nor is it sensical. If they fell on their own irrespective of other things then yeah they would probably break. However, there was something that could absorb the energy much more slowly than the rooftop alone. If you dropped your phone along side/on top of something else what would the outcome be?

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

This is it exactly. Kept me up for about a week straight when I was in elementary school and I couldn't go to the bathroom at night with the lights off.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010

A Fancy Hat posted:

This is it exactly. Kept me up for about a week straight when I was in elementary school and I couldn't go to the bathroom at night with the lights off.

This was what kept me up as a kid :ghost:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8WEY25G5lbk&t=469s

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

My parents let me watch Unsolved Mysteries when I was like 3 or 4 or 5 years old, and I loving loved it and watched it every drat week even though it constantly scared the poo poo out of me

This may or may not have been a poor parenting decision on their part

It was definitely a strong influence on me and my development as a person, and helped instill what eventually became a lifelong interest in supernatural poo poo...... though whether or not any of those are good things is up for debate

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Basebf555 posted:

I know you can't assume guilt based on things that just seem like odd behavior, but like....why didn't the company cooperate with investigators? What could they possibly have had to hide if the guy had simply become psychotic or suicidal and jumped off a building? It's not even like he jumped out of their building, I just don't see the downside in cooperating unless there was something shady going on that they didn't want uncovered.

..... dude... do you really need goons to explain to you why DON’T TRUST THE PO-LEESE #ACAB NEVER TALK TO PO-PO WITHOUT LAWYER in the year two thousand and twenty?

REALLY!?

like, it’s pretty much the exact same fuckin principle whether you’re a company/corporation or just some single rando person

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

A dashing and sophisticated young man
Doctor Rope
The first episode was very good, the sort of strange and ambiguous case that was really the highlight of the original.

Kind of went downhill from there, for me anyway. I don't really have much stomach for toxic relationships and lovely people. The last one was just too depressing for me to finish.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
This limited season is bullshit. Stack turned four episodes around before lunch.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

This limited season is bullshit. Stack turned four episodes around before lunch.

Well, there are apparently 6 more episodes coming sometime later this year.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Haven't finished all the episodes, but the first one is very obviously just a suicide. And the last one is very obviously a double murder. These don't seem to be very "unsolved" at all. The second one was pretty good though, but that's all the episodes I've seen so far.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
An interesting thing about the case from episode one is that there was a True Crime author living in the Belvedere who heard a crash that night at 10pm loud enough to write it down in her journal. She was never interviewed because the cops seemingly didn't give a poo poo at all ("wandered around talking to a few people" or whatever). They used the body as a learning session for like a dozen police and then left the scene wide open, which the author took advantage of to go look around.

Rey was also 70k in debt from investing in a big investment video he was doing, and another 20k on top of that.

Stansberry was out there searching and upping the reward up until the body was found - he was out of state and flew up immediately to do so. The show made it seem a lot more like he was a real suspect.

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

A dashing and sophisticated young man
Doctor Rope

TheAardvark posted:

An interesting thing about the case from episode one is that there was a True Crime author living in the Belvedere who heard a crash that night at 10pm loud enough to write it down in her journal. She was never interviewed because the cops seemingly didn't give a poo poo at all ("wandered around talking to a few people" or whatever). They used the body as a learning session for like a dozen police and then left the scene wide open, which the author took advantage of to go look around.

Rey was also 70k in debt from investing in a big investment video he was doing, and another 20k on top of that.

Stansberry was out there searching and upping the reward up until the body was found - he was out of state and flew up immediately to do so. The show made it seem a lot more like he was a real suspect.

Somebody on Reddit said he was a regular at one of the restaurants and was backed up by somebody else. Also a few people saying there was footage of him at the hotel that night and was aired during local news reports of the incident.

I'm pretty sure the guy killed himself and suspect that Stansberry's business is a bit sketchy but in ways that have nothing to do with people dying.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

AKA Pseudonym posted:

Somebody on Reddit said he was a regular at one of the restaurants and was backed up by somebody else. Also a few people saying there was footage of him at the hotel that night and was aired during local news reports of the incident.

I'm pretty sure the guy killed himself and suspect that Stansberry's business is a bit sketchy but in ways that have nothing to do with people dying.

That's also my thought and it made the episode absolutely terrifying for me as someone the same age and also afraid of heights. I literally can not imagine a scarier thing to do.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

My wife really likes the original series and has been watching through the old ones on Amazon lately.

The cases they picked for this reboot are fine (except the UFO one, that one was a slog). However, this doesn't really feel like the original series whatsoever outside of the theme song. There's no narrator and each episode is one story instead of like 4-5 stories.

MrBuddyLee
Aug 24, 2004
IN DEBUT, I SPEW!!!
I figured the schizophrenic guy didn't have the "courage" to jump and got a running start instead. Thus the 40'.

Show is meh, sadly. Needs Warburton as narrator, and, er, mysteries.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

The first episode is a good mystery and i don’t know if we will ever get an answer

The one with the party is also kind of a mystery in the sense that they don’t seem to have a suspect but we have an idea of what happened. The salon owner one is maybe a mystery but there are definitely suspects.

There’s a show that airs on the ID channel called ‘Disappeared’ where they look at disappearance cases and a lot of them it’s really hard to say what happened. Although some of them are clearly cases of ‘they went to commit suicide’ and over time they found their remains.

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Like a fist wrapped in blood...
Sorry but Episode 2 was wack.

That stepfather obviously did it. Changing all the locks and throwing out the son the day after a disappearance only makes sense if you are 100% certain the missing person ain't coming back. Also, having a timestamped receipt for a gas station at the other side of town sounds like what a perp would do on a crime show. Although I do agree that there might be more to Pistol that isn't being shared - the guy had a giant rifle tattoo on one arm.

And Episode 3 is kind of a lame mystery. Either they missed a body in the mountains or he's in a village somewhere and they don't want to spend resources looking for him. Hell, half the episode is just describing what happened.

kuddles fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Jul 22, 2020

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

kuddles posted:

Sorry but Episode 2 was wack.

That stepfather obviously did it. Changing all the locks and throwing out the son the day after a disappearance only makes sense if you are 100% certain the missing person ain't coming back. Also, having a timestamped receipt for a gas station at the other side of town sounds like what a perp would do on a crime show. Although I do agree that there might be more to Pistol that isn't being shared - the guy had a giant rifle tattoo on one arm.
Yeah it was pretty obvious.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
CinemaBlend: Netflix Seems To Agree The Olsen Twins Should Have Been Called In To Assist For Unsolved Mysteries.
https://www.cinemablend.com/televis...olved-mysteries

:thunk:

I used to have the space camp episode on VHS when I was a kid. I wore that thing out watching it so many times.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
I had no idea it was a soft reboot of some American show, I don't think Unsolved Mysteries the original played in the UK, so I went into it after seeing loads of Twitter stuff about the UFO episode. Honestly I wasn't really expecting a bunch of true crime things and the UFO one but the UFO one was worth the time.
I'd really like to know what it was that happened to them, what they really saw. I don't really think any of them other than the Trump-faced guy had a reason to make it up, so there must be something to it even if it's some mass hallucination.

The french case is really famous so it was weird seeing it from another perspective.

And I think with all of them there's a shitload of other information that they never go into and I'm a bit annoyed that they're so short. As someone said - the business in the first one put up a big reward for the guy's discovery. Yea they all suddenly lawyered up but to only mention that part of it really pushes you into "The business owner guy did it!".
Also Jacob Rees-Mogg's dad owns some of that business so I'm going to automatically assume that whatever they do is ultra shady and lovely.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

I still think about the queen mary episode where they had wet footprints appear around the pool. Also, i didn't know you were still around beet

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Taear posted:

I had no idea it was a soft reboot of some American show, I don't think Unsolved Mysteries the original played in the UK, so I went into it after seeing loads of Twitter stuff about the UFO episode. Honestly I wasn't really expecting a bunch of true crime things and the UFO one but the UFO one was worth the time.
I'd really like to know what it was that happened to them, what they really saw. I don't really think any of them other than the Trump-faced guy had a reason to make it up, so there must be something to it even if it's some mass hallucination.

The french case is really famous so it was weird seeing it from another perspective.

And I think with all of them there's a shitload of other information that they never go into and I'm a bit annoyed that they're so short. As someone said - the business in the first one put up a big reward for the guy's discovery. Yea they all suddenly lawyered up but to only mention that part of it really pushes you into "The business owner guy did it!".
Also Jacob Rees-Mogg's dad owns some of that business so I'm going to automatically assume that whatever they do is ultra shady and lovely.

Should give the original series a watch, it's considered a classic for a reason

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

I just started skimming through old episodes on Prime for paranormal stuff.

The Roswell episode is remarkable because a lot of people that were involved were actually still alive and interviewed. :stare:

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

drrockso20 posted:

Should give the original series a watch, it's considered a classic for a reason

Honestly I'd say it's only popular in America for a reason. There's a lot of shows like that which never got big outside of the US. It's a format that's not really done here.
I think that's probably why netflix has done it as it has, because it has wider appeal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Like a fist wrapped in blood...
Yeah, the new series is clearly taking more inspiration from all the true crime series on streaming services the last several years than it is the original program.

Which is too bad because I would love to watch corny dramatizations with modern production values.