Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

barbecue at the folks posted:

Good for you! My SO likes the fact that she can just turn on the computer and start getting down to actual work without having to make those decisions because she is an overworked professional and her time is precious. I like Windows 10 because it allows me to do exactly as much as I feel the need to do to make my computer mine and that's enough for me.

So all of us have our favourite computer! For some reason there still exist a lot of people for whom having a fave computer means that they have to start dropping dogwhistle misogyny and accusations of a DEATH CULT whenever Apple is mentioned, and I find that frankly puzzling. What is wrong with those people and what made them that way? The mind boggles.

It doesn't matter what the gender is, if your favorite computer is apple, you're wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Some weirdly hostile people itt

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

Iron Crowned posted:

It doesn't matter what the gender is, if your favorite computer is apple, you're wrong.

I told my wife a guy on the 'net said she is wrong for using the wrong kind of computer to do the stuff she gets paid for. She had a good chuckle, she sends her regards and hopes you will find better things to spend time worrying about, she's fine as she is.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

That must be how everyone in a cult feels when their family is trying to get them to leave. "Why is everyone so hostile about my group? Oh well, time to drink some coolaid and get on board the mothership!" Anyway, think different.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Johnny Aztec posted:

Plus, doesn't Apple actively sabotage any effort to manage Macs in a business environment?

For the most part, it's more that they're not interested in putting a lot of effort into developing first-party enterprise management. There are a couple slick features, though. If your organization uses Apple Business Manager (or School Manager), you can enroll devices at time of purchase. When you turn the device on for the first time, if it has an Internet connection, it phones home to Apple, and Apple tells the device how to connect to your management servers. Ideally, an employee should be able to receive a new-in-box device without IT having to do any hands-on initial setup.

The actual configuration and management stuff is usually done with a third-party platform like Jamf. It doesn't give as much control as Active Directory/Group Policy in a Windows enterprise environment, but it's still quite useful.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
Imagine using any computer but the C64 as your work and entertainment computer, just lol

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

I told my wife a guy on the 'net said she is wrong for using the wrong kind of computer to do the stuff she gets paid for. She had a good chuckle, she sends her regards and hopes you will find better things to spend time worrying about, she's fine as she is.

:lmao: that you're extremely mad online

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

Iron Crowned posted:

:lmao: that you're extremely mad online

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

I will stop replying now since I have no cool obsolete and failed retro stuff to post and I hate to participate in making GBS threads on a cool thread. You do you, I guess!

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

thanks, bananajunior

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Move on from this slapfight, please.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Moon Slayer posted:

Move on from this slapfight, please.

:rolleyes:

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Back around 1988 when I worked at a software store my boss got into a platform debate with a customer. When he mentioned that he had 16 megs of RAM the customer said, "What would you need that much memory for? Flying the space shuttle?" :corsair:

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Oh poo poo page 690! NICE

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

up to the late 2000s in holland if you were any kind of government employed worker like my mother you got a several thousand euro budget to buy a pc for at home, which i got to use because my mother didnt care about pc's.

it was a large budget so i could just go overboard and buy gimmicky stuff, i bought a computer somewhere around 2005 that had ram with flashing indicator leds on it, i remember my friends made fun of it when they saw it and said things like "who the hell needs lights inside their computer case haha"

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Shibawanko posted:

up to the late 2000s in holland if you were any kind of government employed worker like my mother you got a several thousand euro budget to buy a pc for at home, which i got to use because my mother didnt care about pc's.

it was a large budget so i could just go overboard and buy gimmicky stuff, i bought a computer somewhere around 2005 that had ram with flashing indicator leds on it, i remember my friends made fun of it when they saw it and said things like "who the hell needs lights inside their computer case haha"

so there were people who could run crysis...drat.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008

Dick Trauma posted:

Back around 1988 when I worked at a software store my boss got into a platform debate with a customer. When he mentioned that he had 16 megs of RAM the customer said, "What would you need that much memory for? Flying the space shuttle?" :corsair:

I was at the bank with my Mom, and the guy there was trying to convince her to sign up for online banking by saying it has NASA grade security. I'm pretty sure most of their transmissions are not secured.

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

Sorry for getting caught up in the fray. Here's something that is definitely obsolete and failed: Finnish TV firm Salora was one of those dozens of small computer producers who made a blip in the 1980s and then quit the business when success wasn't forthcoming. They made a few models which mostly followed the usual breadbox form factor of the time. The Salora Manager was the flagship model and while the shape is familiar, that design, though :allears:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BPjiRQaYe8w

I mean, I would still pay good money for a computer that comes in that inimitable 1980s colour scheme, nothing says "executive" like gold and brown :kimchi:

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Sorry for getting caught up in the fray. Here's something that is definitely obsolete and failed: Finnish TV firm Salora was one of those dozens of small computer producers who made a blip in the 1980s and then quit the business when success wasn't forthcoming. They made a few models which mostly followed the usual breadbox form factor of the time. The Salora Manager was the flagship model and while the shape is familiar, that design, though :allears:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BPjiRQaYe8w

I mean, I would still pay good money for a computer that comes in that inimitable 1980s colour scheme, nothing says "executive" like gold and brown :kimchi:

omg

the only way it could be better is if it was wood grain :3:

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

whatever happened to the "three colored lines" style of corporate electronics logo's?

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Cojawfee posted:

What makes it so good? I use the USB-C to headphone jack dongle that came with my phone and it seems fine. Not sure what could be better about it.

Low noise, good output power and low output impedance. Desktop DAC performance in a dongle.

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/review-apple-vs-google-usb-c-headphone-adapters.5541/

Iron Crowned posted:

The headphone jack pushed me into a Pixel 3a, suck it donglailures

I use it on my PC, with a USB-A to USB-C adapter. Unlike the onboard audio, it has enough power to drive my headphones.

KozmoNaut has a new favorite as of 19:14 on Jul 8, 2020

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

I have a soft spot for all the weird computers that came out of the Eastern Bloc in the 80s - Soviet desktop PDP clones like the BK Elektronika, ZX Spectrum clones built into landline phone cases, Yugoslavian computers released only as schematics in magazines and it's up to you to figure out how to smuggle the components over the border from Austria...

Sweevo has a new favorite as of 18:21 on Jul 8, 2020

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

It’s not really obsolete, but I wanted to show off the stereo setup I put together. The cd/tape deck was getting thrown out at work after a remodel, and the receiver and turntable were recovered from my in-laws when we went to go clean out their house. I just need to find some speakers. The receiver supports quadrophonic sound but I doubt I’ll bother with it.

/edit: Yes, it all desperately needs to get cleaned.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Sweevo posted:

Yugoslavian computers released only as schematics in magazines and it's up to you to figure out how to smuggle the components over the border from Austria...

Ahem, I'll have you know that (a) we manufactured our own systems, like the TIM-011 on which I learned BASIC in 9th grade, three of us per computer:

and (b) ex-:tito: also produced the best Wholly Unnecessary 80s Coverbabe Computer Magazine of all time, e.g.:

Explore your fetishes here: https://flashbak.com/yugoslavian-computer-magazine-cover-girls-of-the-1980s-90s-370271/

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Browsing through that page my primary takeaway is "These guys were definitely into legs".

This is some Twin Peaks poo poo though:

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Why is that computer holding this woman hostage?

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

LifeSunDeath posted:

Knowing what I've gleaned from the the Epstein Thread, and OpDeathEaters, all sorts of depressing ideas come to mind when you put together technology and trafficking.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

LifeSunDeath posted:

It's a metaphor, you see.

For how computers are holding us hostage.

CaptainBeefart
Mar 28, 2016

I miss my Zune. Great hardware but my god it had the worst software I've ever tried to use. I remember trying to use the wheel on an older iPod at the time and was annoyed with how finicky the scroll wheel was.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

CaptainBeefart posted:

I miss my Zune. Great hardware but my god it had the worst software I've ever tried to use. I remember trying to use the wheel on an older iPod at the time and was annoyed with how finicky the scroll wheel was.

That's funny. I never had one but I've heard other people say they adored the zune interface. And windows phone. But I bet you could get rockbox into it if you still have it and like the hardware.

Moo the cow
Apr 30, 2020

I believe the Zune was the last piece of consumer electronics that was available in the colour of 'poo poo-brown'.

And I admire them for that bravery.

CaptainBeefart
Mar 28, 2016

Imagined posted:

That's funny. I never had one but I've heard other people say they adored the zune interface. And windows phone. But I bet you could get rockbox into it if you still have it and like the hardware.

It was the most solid and competent mp3 player I've owned. Built like a brick, had decent battery life and the d-pad like scroll button was excellent. I wonder if anyone was ever able to make a third party app that could access the device.

CaptainBeefart
Mar 28, 2016

Moo the cow posted:

I believe the Zune was the last piece of consumer electronics that was available in the colour of 'poo poo-brown'.

And I admire them for that bravery.

I had the special poo poo-brown version that had corn chunks and broccoli bits in it. Never got stolen out of my car for some reason.

Horace
Apr 17, 2007

Gone Skiin'

Judging from the number of poo brown cars I see every day now the Zune was just a few years ahead of its time.

Stingwing
Mar 26, 2010

Thank you Mr President for Making America Great Again! USA #1! I shouldn't have to understand other cultures, I'm a god damn American hero.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hG3Jud-829A

The Zune always seemed like a disappointing iPod imitator to me, so I'm kinda surprised that some people liked them. I do think they looked cool in their ugliness though

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Stingwing posted:

The Zune always seemed like a disappointing iPod imitator to me, so I'm kinda surprised that some people liked them. I do think they looked cool in their ugliness though
I had both and they were good.

The Zune HD was a legit great PMP, and released exactly at the moment PMPs went extinct lol. It had an HD radio and good navigation and was pleasant to use.

The short-lived idea you could just blast music files to a friend for a temp borrow was nice, too.

Ah well. The HD is probably one of MS's best efforts in terms of hardware and UX.

Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

Cojawfee posted:

I don't know the exact details, but it seems like when [Apple] switched to 64bit, you couldn't even use 32bit applications anymore. That's why I'll just stick with windows.

Yes but when Windows switched to 64-bit you could no longer run 16-bit applications :smuggo:

Actually now I think of it, old 32-bit applications tended to use 16-bit installers, so maybe some 32-bit Windows applications can't be installed on 64-bit either?

I can ignore stupid Apple vs. PC slapfights but this really pisses me off :v:

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

e. nm

Pretty good has a new favorite as of 04:23 on Jul 9, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Buttcoin purse posted:

Yes but when Windows switched to 64-bit you could no longer run 16-bit applications :smuggo:

Actually now I think of it, old 32-bit applications tended to use 16-bit installers, so maybe some 32-bit Windows applications can't be installed on 64-bit either?

64-bit versions Windows used to have some shims to make certain 16-bit installers operate even though 16-bit support was removed. Don't know if this is still true or not on Windows 10.