Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
It's an electronic circuit. That poo poo can actually break. I presume my ISP is a cheapskate in that regard, or whatever. That said, one replacement was because they stuck some more of whatever provider information is on there, needed for proper operation, because with the older one, the phone wouldn't hop onto the HSPA network. --edit: Also, SIM format changes. I went to get proper ones, instead of cutting these down to fit whatever SIM slot du jour.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

Combat Pretzel posted:

It's an electronic circuit. That poo poo can actually break. I presume my ISP is a cheapskate in that regard, or whatever. That said, one replacement was because they stuck some more of whatever provider information is on there, needed for proper operation, because with the older one, the phone wouldn't hop onto the HSPA network. --edit: Also, SIM format changes. I went to get proper ones, instead of cutting these down to fit whatever SIM slot du jour.

I've literally never had a Sim break on me in the 13+ years of having a mobile

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

CyberPingu posted:

I've literally never had a Sim break on me in the 13+ years of having a mobile

I've broken one before but it was just stupidity (sim tray has room for 2, was replacing one of them and didn't entirely reseat the other one before shoving it back in and ended up scratching it horribly)

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

D. Ebdrup posted:

Sure, and every antivirus company has failed at it so far.

kinda what I meant by Holy Grail - a thing everyone's seeking and probably nobody will find

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Biowarfare posted:

I've broken one before but it was just stupidity (sim tray has room for 2, was replacing one of them and didn't entirely reseat the other one before shoving it back in and ended up scratching it horribly)

I've picked one up that was run over and it worked fine.

suckers are pretty tough

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I've had a SIM die on me before.

Now if my e-SIM broke, THAT would be a feat.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Potato Salad posted:

kinda what I meant by Holy Grail - a thing everyone's seeking and probably nobody will find

Naaah, you just have to be a virgin.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Naaah, you just have to be a virgin.

In this industry, virgins aren't exactly hard to find.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/HackingDave/status/1280911103690788865

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
not sure how infoseccy this is but holy poo poo tiktok wtf

https://twitter.com/JoshuaDummer/status/1280877750245453828

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
Luckily for those with PA gear it seems that this one was fixed in the same versions that fixed the last one, so anyone who's already handled that last one shouldn't have anything to worry about.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

I don't have the technical background to evaluate this. GNU: A Heuristic for Bad Cryptography.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Not a huge fan of the random Furry stuff included in that article. Definitely takes away some of the credibility behind it.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

CyberPingu posted:

Not a huge fan of the random Furry stuff included in that article. Definitely takes away some of the credibility behind it.

yeah, after all, dogs can't use keyboards so you can't trust them to do infosec

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Cup Runneth Over posted:

yeah, after all, dogs can't use keyboards so you can't trust them to do infosec

On the contrary, you can trust what they say precisely because someone had to agree with what they said enough to transcribe it?

E: DragonDictate being notable for their "No Doggos" stance.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Schadenboner posted:

On the contrary, you can trust what they say precisely because someone had to agree with what they said enough to transcribe it?

E: DragonDictate being notable for their "No Doggos" stance.

come now, furries don't have any credibility in infosec. would YOU trust a fox in a henhouse?

droll
Jan 9, 2020

by Azathoth
Does anyone have an opinion on running phishing simulations, specifically whether suppressing Gmail's security warnings on messages sent by the simulation is good or bad?

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

droll posted:

Does anyone have an opinion on running phishing simulations, specifically whether suppressing Gmail's security warnings on messages sent by the simulation is good or bad?

Send it so it appears trusted. You do not want users to learn to always look for a machine learning applied "this might be phishing" banner, instead of looking at warning signs like the body of the message, wording, what it's asking for, mouseovering domains, looking at email domains, etc.

droll
Jan 9, 2020

by Azathoth
That makes total sense, so simple. Thank you.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

I don't know why it never occurred to me, but one thing syzkaller does is make it easier for people to discover potential security issues, as is demonstrated by this FreeBSD use-after-free leading (local) kernel execution privileges, which was found by found by syzkaller on March 19th, fixed on the same day, and between March 21st and March 26th earned theflow0 $10000 by chaining it with a webkit exploit to jailbreak the PS4.
This also comes after Andy was mistreated by members of the PS4 community for not releasing a "proper" 0day - to the point that he basically quit, because he didn't want to put up with their petty entitled behavior.

apseudonym
Feb 25, 2011

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I don't have the technical background to evaluate this. GNU: A Heuristic for Bad Cryptography.

Don't touch anything gnu and security is good advice

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

... oops

https://twitter.com/thezedwards/status/1281579595301482497

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
They didn't go with "fappymae", I am dissapoint.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

https://twitter.com/yashar/status/1281634348639244288

Meh. Deleted but said that an Amazon company-wide email went out requiring TikTok be removed from any device which accesses their corporate email account.

e: Other source:
https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/1281639684691636224

Diva Cupcake fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Jul 10, 2020

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Diva Cupcake posted:

https://twitter.com/yashar/status/1281634348639244288

Meh. Deleted but said that an Amazon company-wide email went out requiring TikTok be removed from any device which accesses their corporate email account.

Seems like ordinary prudence, honestly.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

why the gently caress hasn't vine come back, anyway? there's obviously demand

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Potato Salad posted:

We have tiktok now which i am told is like vine but not owned by white supremacists?

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

RFC2324 posted:

We have tiktok now which i am told is like vine but not owned by white supremacists?

no, just owned by the chinese government

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

RFC2324 posted:

Well it's owned by China's own brand of white supremacists I guess.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

CyberPingu posted:

Well it's owned by China's own brand of white supremacists I guess.
Han supremacists.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Potato Salad posted:

vine is now owned by twitter who want people to just use twitter instead, and the creator of vine went on to make byte which is basically the same thing again but hasn't taken off because tiktok already took the vine demographic

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Amazon update: https://twitter.com/kellymakena/status/1281693734682398721

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

What's so special about Apple's T2, that it's considered entirely uncrackable/unhackable?

This comes from a (hilarious) news article about the newest MacBook's displays breaking, if you just just have a shim, just slightly thicker than electrical tape, over the webcam. In the comment section, everyone's going like "T2!", saying that the webcam and microphone are routed over that security chip and therefore everything's safe.

(The activation LED is apparently directly hooked up to the webcam's power supply, so if you enable it, it will go on. The same time, there's apparently a security paper that talks about this and how you can enable the camera for a tiny fraction of time only to take an image, which makes the LED barely blip.)

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Can you post the article please?

I do love having a big lol at Apple and their lovely QA now.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

It's this one:

https://www.macrumors.com/2020/07/10/apple-macbook-camera-cover-warning/

Seems the slightest amount of pressure on the display, after creating a rather tiny foam pivot point, will break the display unit.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

So that's been an issue for a couple of generations now that we have seen. I've seen some companies ban the use of any camera blockers other than black tape.

On another note. There is an abundance of easy to obtain camera jacking scripts that don't enable the LED....

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

I assume they only work properly with older Macbooks? The claim was that in the newest models, the LED is looped into the power supply of the camera, so when powering it up for use, the LED is forcibly going on.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Combat Pretzel posted:

I assume they only work properly with older Macbooks? The claim was that in the newest models, the LED is looped into the power supply of the camera, so when powering it up for use, the LED is forcibly going on.

Dunno. I've not tested it on the newer ones actually.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
I'm guessing on some of the older ones they're single-frame grabs that then turn off too. IIRC newer macbooks will hold power on the LED for a while longer to prevent this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Biowarfare posted:

I'm guessing on some of the older ones they're single-frame grabs that then turn off too. IIRC newer macbooks will hold power on the LED for a while longer to prevent this

Just gotta hope your camera is always in your peripheral vision and you are paying attention I guess