Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Leavemywife posted:

Supergreatfriend did a really good LP of the original before the remake came out.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLaSPgE4K0SB24-9DZ-4dBQ9i367LdNR-o

Yeah SGF does good LPs. He has a very dry comedy style but it usually works. His only real problems is that sometimes he is pretty crappy at stuff and he has a habit of repeating himself to try to fill dead air time, but that isn't much of an issue with RE3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
His Siren LP is a loving masterpiece. I considered buying it and decided to watch a video or two to see how it played, and I'm pretty sure I made the right choice in not buying it. His original RE2 LP is really good, too, if you want to revisit that game without actually playing it.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Leavemywife posted:

Supergreatfriend did a really good LP of the original before the remake came out.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLaSPgE4K0SB24-9DZ-4dBQ9i367LdNR-o

Oh yeah, I remember seeing a bit of that and deciding I better wait until after playing through the remake :tipshat:

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

thebardyspoon posted:

What it did have was some randomization stuff where key items would be in different places in different playthroughs which might be what you're thinking of? Also had the points where the game would freeze and you'd have to make a decision quickly that could lead to you going through areas in different orders. All of that was removed for the remake.

I think that was it. I knew there was at least a couple of things that shuffled things up but, in fairness to myself, it's been a long time and I didn't wear out 3 like I did some of the other entries.

I kind of have an itch to pick up RE7 again since I've managed to forget almost everything about it and not being sure what to do is most of the fun for these games.

I also forgot just how batshit RE4 managed to get. I'm up to chapter 4 and god drat. I forgot how well the game balances making you feel really powered up and rich - ready to rock - and then putting you in tense situations that test all those upgrades and weapons you bought plus tactics you've learned and I love the way it makes me switch up my weapons and approach. It keeps upping the ante (more wooden shields, parasite heads, face masks, crossbow assholes and whatever those blind wolverine fuckers are)

I spent a good 10 minutes and went full tetris suitcase to make room for a 2nd rocket launcher thinking I was being clever and then realized the merchant was sold out so gently caress you, BiggerBoat is what's really up.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

SIREN is my favorite survival horror game on PS2. It's just so drat good, you just have to WANT it because it wants to hurt you.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
I’m playing through the first Revelations game. The map stinks in this game. I can see how it must have been an awesome 3DS game. Did it come out all at once or were the episodes released over time?

DanielCross
Aug 16, 2013
Rev 1 was a single release. Rev 2's episodes released separately, but only like, a week between each.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

I do wonder if Rev 1 was originally going to be episodic like Rev 2, what with the 'LAST TIME ON RESIDENT EVIL REVELATIONS' bit before each chapter.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

BisbyWorl posted:

I do wonder if Rev 1 was originally going to be episodic like Rev 2, what with the 'LAST TIME ON RESIDENT EVIL REVELATIONS' bit before each chapter.
Did any other 3DS games really do an episodic release? It just seems like it would be a weird console for RE to try that with.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I think it was just doing something similar to Alan Wake

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Policenaut posted:

SIREN is my favorite survival horror game on PS2. It's just so drat good, you just have to WANT it because it wants to hurt you.

SGF is currently doing an LP of Siren 2 right now.

I kind of wish a new Siren game was made, after Gravity Rush 2 was kind of underwhelming.

Seedge
Jun 15, 2009
Hey, buddy. :glomp:

DanielCross posted:

Rev 1 was a single release. Rev 2's episodes released separately, but only like, a week between each.

Rev 2 was about 4 weeks apart.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
I've started run two as Claire. I was not expecting Mr. X to show up as early as he did. I feel like I'm burning though ammo at a faster rate than Leon too.

Dr.D-O
Jan 3, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
What's the general feeling about Revelations 1/2?

I started 1 and and it seemed OK at first, but then it seems to have turned into a lame corridor shooter with none of the charm or interesting design of Resident Evil 4/2make/3make.

Yet, I see consistently high reviews for it. I'm confused.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

OhFunny posted:

I've started run two as Claire. I was not expecting Mr. X to show up as early as he did. I feel like I'm burning though ammo at a faster rate than Leon too.

The second run is just more difficult I think. I started the second run as Leon and I felt the exact same way.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
I don't really care much for Revelations 1, but I think Revelations 2 is actually one of the best-written games in the entire franchise. The quality of the characterization is off the charts. By the end of the game, you're going to feel like you know more about the antagonist than you know about the villains of every other Resident Evil game put together, in terms of what deep-seated fears and personal issues motivate the character to do what she does.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Dr.D-O posted:

I started 1 and and it seemed OK at first, but then it seems to have turned into a lame corridor shooter with none of the charm or interesting design of Resident Evil 4/2make/3make.

I feel the same way. Revelations 2 is much better and feels like an actual game.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Rev 2 is quite good.

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism
I'm currently playing through Rev 2 and am really enjoying it.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Revelations 2 is good though I think it’s still a bit awkward since it’s both carrying over some stuff from Rev1 but also putting in some new stuff like co-op, stealth, and some light crafting. If you’re playing it single player - and you probably are because the campaign is local co-op only - switching between the two characters can also be a bit awkward, especially for Barry since his partner can only really find hidden stuff (like the scanner from Rev1) but does so by literally pointing at it. Since you need that stuff a lot of the time you’re switching to his partner and just sweeping around the room with their finger until glowies light up. Claire’s partner can do more active stuff but still plays differently and Claire is the only one with guns so....

Worth playing however, though I also think that about Rev1 and enjoy it a lot too. People who talked about the characters are right. This isn’t some deep characterization but very enjoyable and genuinely funny and heartfelt.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Kibayasu posted:

Revelations 2 is good though I think it’s still a bit awkward since it’s both carrying over some stuff from Rev1 but also putting in some new stuff like co-op, stealth, and some light crafting. If you’re playing it single player - and you probably are because the campaign is local co-op only - switching between the two characters can also be a bit awkward, especially for Barry since his partner can only really find hidden stuff (like the scanner from Rev1) but does so by literally pointing at it. Since you need that stuff a lot of the time you’re switching to his partner and just sweeping around the room with their finger until glowies light up. Claire’s partner can do more active stuff but still plays differently and Claire is the only one with guns so....

Worth playing however, though I also think that about Rev1 and enjoy it a lot too. People who talked about the characters are right. This isn’t some deep characterization but very enjoyable and genuinely funny and heartfelt.
Moira's abilities are extremely synergistic though, she's not just a support partner to Claire but a legitimate alternative for most encounters if not straight up superior for a lot of the game. Even if there are enemies she simply can't deal with.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
RE:RE2 takes the campy quipping of RE4 and leans on it so hard that it breaks, i don't think there's ever been another game in this series where the english localizers had so much giddy fun

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard
USgamer: Capcom Wants Feedback on Resident Evil Village, Particularly Its Title

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

"The game is set in a vil-" "STRONGLY DISAGREE!!"

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
It takes a village to name a game

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
"Using an air raid siren when a bunch of us were hoping for a new Silent Hill was a cruel, cruel trick"

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

They should call it Night of the WereChris

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I told them that Jill and Leon are the coolest and Chris is a loser

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Dr.D-O posted:

The first Revelations was Capcom's first attempt, in retrospect, to split the difference between the genuine scares of the pre-RE4 games with the camera perspective and gunplay of RE4/RE5. At the time, it was genuinely refreshing, but it's been dramatically outdone since then by virtually every subsequent game.

It's also got some goofy enemy design, a couple of really annoying encounters, and Quint.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

site posted:

Resident Evil Megathread: It takes a village to name a game

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
I enjoyed Revelations 1 a whole lot more than 2. I thought Rev 2 was too brown, had some really boring chapters in boring environments (sewers, really?). I hated the partner gameplay, and the raid mode was worse than Rev 1.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

blackguy32 posted:

I enjoyed Revelations 1 a whole lot more than 2. I thought Rev 2 was too brown, had some really boring chapters in boring environments (sewers, really?). I hated the partner gameplay, and the raid mode was worse than Rev 1.
Rev 2 and RE5 are two good games made great with Couch Co-Op. They're not as outstanding if you're playing them solo. RE5 was one of the best couch coop experiences I've ever had (Other than the very last fight with Wesker)

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

I remember thinking Rev 1 felt a bit small scale when I played it on Wii U, which makes sense considering its origins. I grabbed it for cheap on steam but haven't gotten around to replaying it for a fresh opinion.

Rev 2 has consistently been my favorite post-4 game until 7 and the remakes, for a lot of the reasons mentioned earlier. I just wish I'd gotten to play it at some point with local co-op, character switching in single-player is definitely a big thing dragging it down.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

I’m giving up on RE 7. I’ll watch a let’s play or listen to the WOFF episode, but the molded are too uninteresting and the combat is totally unfun. Hopefully VIIliage improves on the FPS formula by leaps and bounds, but I’m not sure I’ll pick it up until it’s on sale. Luckily I’ve got RE4 to look forward to.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

im going to go against the grain here and say that i find the co-op aspect of Revelations 2 to be totally overstated. it's fun couch co-op but while playing single player i don't feel like you had to really switch all that often during just regular game play.

the co-op AI partner only "needs" to do a very very short list of things, which is pointing out an invisible enemy typeor Moira can stun some enemies with the flashlight. also those enemies Moira can stun can overwhelmingly just be immediately killed by Moira with little to no hassle. the rest of it is unlocking secrets you only ever have to unlock once, but also they're secrets for unlocks and in reality you do not have to unlock ever. you can straight up start a new game to go out of your way to get those, they don't need to interact with regular game play loops and if they're disruptive just stop feeling compelled to find them all during a regular play of the game.

edit: there are a few puzzles that require character switching but off the top of my head none of them involve combat, or the area can be cleared of danger before you attempt them if you want.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

I just wish that Barry's partner in Rev 2 could call out enemy weakpoints without having to manually switch to her every time.

Like you aim at an enemy and she shouts out 'left arm' or 'right leg'.

Controlling her could still be used to look ahead to see where enemies are before you rush in.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

a7m2 posted:

The second run is just more difficult I think. I started the second run as Leon and I felt the exact same way.

Interestingly now that I've played a bit more I find the difficult parts of the two runs are swapped. The sewer section was real tough when I went through with Leon, but a breeze with Claire thanks to her launcher annihilating those sewer monsters. Got way more ammo now too, but that might be me just being more skilled in avoiding zombies and not getting cornered by Mr. X.

Still haven't found the key to the S.T.A.R.S. case.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

rabidsquid posted:

im going to go against the grain here and say that i find the co-op aspect of Revelations 2 to be totally overstated. it's fun couch co-op but while playing single player i don't feel like you had to really switch all that often during just regular game play.
Personally, I agree. Rev2 has co-op, but it doesn't come up as often as people are making it out to be. It's not that central to the gameplay. You can go through many of the episodes without switching more than the few times you need to in order to find items.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

The Fourth Survivor is an intense ride, but I finally made it out alive in 10m 1s!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism
Having just beaten Revelations 2 I'm confident in saying that the glasps (the invisible flying enemies with an insta-kill) are my least favourite Resident Evil enemy. They're not difficult to deal with but they are frustrating.