Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

also biden is up between 10 and 14 points despite not doing as well as hispanic voters, which isn't a sign that his coalition is weak, its a good thing in the sense of his ceiling because it shows he has more room to grow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

Majorian posted:

Okay, so why Biden is underperforming Clinton among Latino voters?

your argument doesn't track. you're saying that a vaccine announcement would have the effect of causing POC voters to stay home (why just this population, by the way?). but your own argument is undercut by the fact that those voters are a smaller part of biden's coalition than they were of clinton's. the correct argument to make here would be that because biden's coalition is broader than clinton's - and he is performing better among white voters - that it is more likely for trump to siphon off white supporters.

also biden doing worse amongst hispanic voters does not automatically mean that the hispanic support he has is softer than his other supporters - it just means that he has fewer hispanic supporters.

Xombie
May 22, 2004

Soul Thrashing
Black Sorcery

Majorian posted:

No, but if enough simply didn't turn out, it could certainly have an effect. It's unlikely - I still think Biden's going to win this handily. But acting like he can 100% take the left for granted suggests that centrists still haven't learned the right lessons from 2016.

Again, no it won't. Not enough Bernie -> Trump voters exist in swing states. You're welcome to show a 2020 poll that says otherwise. I don't think you can though, as all the polling says that leftists just hate Trump even more than the centrists.

Majorian posted:

Okay, so why Biden is underperforming Clinton among Latino voters?

He's not underperforming. They're still voting for him. They are chomping at the bit to vote against Trump. That's what you're not getting.

A vote for Biden that is "meh" on Biden but "gently caress you" on Trump counts exactly as much as the rest of Biden's votes.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities

Seven Hundred Bee posted:

your argument doesn't track. you're saying that a vaccine announcement would have the effect of causing POC voters to stay home (why just this population, by the way?).

I never said it was just POC voters.:confused: Nor did I say that it necessarily would have that effect. My point is, it's presumptuous to assume that this hypothetical curveball would have no effect.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Xombie posted:

He's not underperforming. They're still voting for him. They are chomping at the bit to vote against Trump. That's what you're not getting.

A vote for Biden that is "meh" on Biden but "gently caress you" on Trump counts exactly as much as the rest of Biden's votes.

I believe he is underperforming Clinton in that more latinos plan to vote for trump than did in 2016, not in personal popularity. Biden is still winning them by a lot, but less than Clinton did.

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

Majorian posted:

Nope, that's not what I'm arguing. What I am arguing is that Clinton lost, in part, because she could not mobilize black, Latino, and other POC voters in the Upper Midwest as solidly as she insisted she would. While I doubt very many POCs are going to turn out for Trump at all, Biden is currently underperforming Clinton among Latinos.

With regard to Trump utilizing a (likely fake) vaccine announcement, I don't know how I can be more clear than I've already been: I never said that would make POCs (or anyone) switch over to Trump. I did say that it might muddy the waters enough for a few people to stay home.

Majorian posted:

I never said it was just POC voters.:confused: Nor did I say that it necessarily would have that effect. My point is, it's presumptuous to assume that this hypothetical curveball would have no effect.

then what is your argument? why are you mentioning POC voters at all then? was your previous post just two random thoughts crammed together into a single post? sure, a vaccine announcement might peal off a few voters, but the venn diagram of 'believes the things trump says', 'would give credit to trump personally for there being a vaccine' and 'is voting for biden' is very, very small. we know this because in poll after poll the crosstabs for questions such as 'do you trust president trump' are abysmally small amongst biden voters - like, sub 10%.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities

Xombie posted:

He's not underperforming.

That poll I cited says otherwise. The only way you can make this claim is if you define "underperforming" to mean something different.

then what is your argument? why are you mentioning POC voters at all then?

I brought POCs in the Upper Midwest up as an example of a demographic that Clinton thought she had nailed down in 2016, but that ended up not turning out for her as much as she needed. That's literally it. Again, I don't know how a false vaccine announcement will affect voters; nobody here does. That's my entire point on that front.

Epinephrine
Nov 7, 2008
https://twitter.com/jonathanchait/status/1280868782551044097?s=19

I knew we were forgetting something!

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

There was recently a good Chapo episode on these geniuses, incidentally.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Critical Poseidon endorsement

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Biden missing the critical Swamp People endorsement.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1280857657365200902

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1280853299600789505

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1280899723071815680

trumps having a normal one today.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Biden missing the critical Swamp People endorsement.

Trump said he'd drain it and they still turn out for him.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

If the cases go against him tomorrow he is going to absolutely lose it.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
I desperately want to see what is in those loving tax returns. Trump has fought so long, tooth-and-nail, to keep them under wraps.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
You know what they say, a vote in the boat is worth two in critical swing states

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky
I love how he lists Norway's open schools as an example when summer vacation is going and all of them are closed.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

"There has NEVER been a boat parade for Joe Biden" seems like it's a pro-Biden message.

DutchDupe
Dec 25, 2013

How does the kitty cat go?

...meow?

Very gooood.
Democratic Senate challengers are destroying fundraising numbers:

Amy McGrath (Kentucky) - $17.4 million
Jaime Harrison (S. Carolina) - $13.9 million
Sara Gideon (Maine) - $9 million
Steve Bullock (Montana) - $7.7 million
Cal Cunningham (N. Carolina) - $7.2 million
Teresa Greenfield (Iowa) - $6 million
Barbara Bollier (Kansas) - $3.7 million
Jon Ossoff (Georgia) - $3.5 million
Raphael Warnock (Georgia) - $2.8 million

Mark Kelly hasn't reported yet but he raised $11 million in Q1, and is likely going to raise more than that in Q2.

In most of these cases they are doubling/tripling the Republicans. Also a few Republicans haven't released their numbers yet but likely are being out raised.

The money advantage reminds me a lot of 2018.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/TrumpWarRoom/status/1280904345408745472

https://twitter.com/daveweigel/status/1280912064412778496

Trump campaign once again making Biden seem way cooler than he really is.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

even the real statements are much better than i thought he would say, so thats nice at least.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Xombie posted:

Biden is doing worse than Clinton among Hispanic voters

https://www.cnn.com/2020/06/11/politics/biden-hispanic-voters-analysis/index.html

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

OneSizeFitsAll posted:

So, er, Kanye West is certainly saying some stuff. It's about as intelligent as I'd expect from him.

Kanye West takes anti-vaccine, anti-abortion stance in US presidential bid

Leaving aside the general bleak double insanity of both West and Trump standing in an election for the US Presidency, can some people more intimately familiar with American politics comment on whether West would be more likely to split Biden's or Trump's vote?

Kanye needs to get on the ballots before he can siphon voters away from anyone, and there's apparently no sign he's trying to do this or even understands that it's a thing. He doesn't even have a campaign staff aside from two "advisors": his wife and Elon loving Musk.

His entire campaign is a sick joke being played by the media using a mentally-ill man's outbursts.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

I'd also like to point out how easy it would be for Biden to get more of the Hispanic vote: Just abolish ICE. It's a Bush era artifact that would lose him 0 votes if he actually pushed for it.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Recreational boaters are the most obnoxious, stupid, arrogant, privileged sack of poo poo rear end in a top hat fucks to stain this country's beautiful waterways

...so of course they all back Trump

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Cpt_Obvious posted:

I'd also like to point out how easy it would be for Biden to get more of the Hispanic vote: Just abolish ICE. It's a Bush era artifact that would lose him 0 votes if he actually pushed for it.

for a guy who's suddenly obsessed with polls you seem to forget that Abolish ICE polls astoundingly poorly (only 25% for as of two years ago and I doubt it's gotten better).

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

abolish ice is not a popular issue among hispanic voters, and 48% believe that the US has the right number of immigrants

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

DutchDupe posted:

Reminder: McGrath outraised Booker by more than 5100% ($41 million vs. less than $800,000), and still barely beat him. So I wouldn't hold my breath on her beating McConnell.

SousaphoneColossus
Feb 16, 2004

There are a million reasons to ruin things.

quote:

Clinton crushed Trump with Hispanic registered voters in the final 2016 preelection polls. She led by 61% to 23%. (I use the preelection polls for an apples-to-apples comparison for current polling.)

Biden, on the other hand, holds an average 58% to 33% lead among Hispanic registered voters in an average of eight live interview polls taken over the last two months. These eight polls were ones for which I could procure a breakdown among white, Hispanic and black voters. All told we are looking at somewhere around 700 to 800 Hispanic voters total.

If we examine polls conducted over the last three months (so that we're looking at 15 polls and well over 1,000 interviews), it's Biden 58% to Trump's 32%.

Doing the math, Biden's margin of about 25 points is more than 10 points lower than Clinton's. This is more because Trump is doing better without third party candidates than Biden taking a lower share of the vote, though both seem to be occurring to some degree.

2016 Latino polling average was 61 Clinton, 23 Trump, and presumably 16% other/undecided.
2020 Latino polling average is 58 Biden, 33 Trump, and presumably 9% other/undecided.

61 to 58 is not a huge shift, and could be attributed to statistical noise.

23 to 33 is significant but can be explained partly by fewer viable third party candidates and fewer undecideds at this stage. It would be interesting to compare this to the actual exit polling of how undecided Latinos ended up voting in 2016. I'm skeptical that this difference will lead to a materially different outcome except maybe in Arizona, Texas and Florida, and none of those apart from AZ are likely to end up being tipping point states.

OneSizeFitsAll
Sep 13, 2010

Du bist mein Sofa

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Kanye needs to get on the ballots before he can siphon voters away from anyone, and there's apparently no sign he's trying to do this or even understands that it's a thing. He doesn't even have a campaign staff aside from two "advisors": his wife and Elon loving Musk.

His entire campaign is a sick joke being played by the media using a mentally-ill man's outbursts.

According to this article (at the bottom) he intends to try and get the deadline to get on the ballots extended due to Covid. I agree it doesn't sound very feasible or like he has a clue what he's doing. I was just curious about how it would play out if he actually did stand.

quote:

Is he mentally ill, or just a guy who's sense of reality is affected by A. being very dim and B. living for years in a cocooned celebrity world where he's fawned over?

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

DutchDupe posted:

Jaime Harrison (S. Carolina) - $13.9 million
Sara Gideon (Maine) - $9 million
Steve Bullock (Montana) - $7.7 million
Cal Cunningham (N. Carolina) - $7.2 million
Teresa Greenfield (Iowa) - $6 million
Barbara Bollier (Kansas) - $3.7 million
Jon Ossoff (Georgia) - $3.5 million
Raphael Warnock (Georgia) - $2.8 million

Mark Kelly hasn't reported yet but he raised $11 million in Q1, and is likely going to raise more than that in Q2.

In most of these cases they are doubling/tripling the Republicans. Also a few Republicans haven't released their numbers yet but likely are being out raised.

The money advantage reminds me a lot of 2018.

It annoys me that there's $30 million in long-shot races where people care cause they hate the republican not because there's a real shot there at the top and less than $7m for two absolutely winnable races at the bottom, and another $3.7 million for a race that is also winnable in a way the top two are not (because the republican candidate is kobach, who is a nutter who just lost the governors' race to a democrat)

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

SousaphoneColossus posted:

23 to 33 is significant but can be explained partly by fewer viable third party candidates and fewer undecideds at this stage. It would be interesting to compare this to the actual exit polling of how undecided Latinos ended up voting in 2016. I'm skeptical that this difference will lead to a materially different outcome except maybe in Arizona, Texas and Florida, and none of those apart from AZ are likely to end up being tipping point states.

Arizona is one of the two most likely tipping point states, however (it and Wisconsin).

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
Have there been studies if there are shifts in how openly people identify as Latinx?

I've known a few people who present as white who've been much more willing to identify with with their actual ethnicities. but I don't know if that's just anecdotal or a thread.

Timeless Appeal fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Jul 8, 2020

GarudaPrime
May 19, 2006

THE PANTS ARE FANCY!

OneSizeFitsAll posted:

Is he mentally ill, or just a guy who's sense of reality is affected by A. being very dim and B. living for years in a cocooned celebrity world where he's fawned over?

B. is just empirically true, but to call him "dim" seems wrong. I mean he's an entertainer getting absurd levels of his name in print for writing one tweet at the same time he has a new product to sell.

One entertainment reporter put it best when he lamented that he had to take time away from enjoying the 4th to write 1000 words about Kanye, just so he could sell more albums and sneakers this week.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

GarudaPrime posted:

B. is just empirically true, but to call him "dim" seems wrong. I mean he's an entertainer getting absurd levels of his name in print for writing one tweet at the same time he has a new product to sell.

One entertainment reporter put it best when he lamented that he had to take time away from enjoying the 4th to write 1000 words about Kanye, just so he could sell more albums and sneakers this week.

yeah. i think its a mix of things. he is clearly mentally ill but he used to be able to point out obvious stuff like W was racist and poo poo. now he thinks he is a super man and wants to go full theocracy mixed with loving Wakanda. all the people near him are fine with him deteriorating more and more because they can still make money off of his talent. once he is used up, they will toss his rear end to the wolves. i am just more surprised that people here thought he was gonna outflank biden with the youth and AA community. like, the dude is outflanking trump from the right and doesnt offer anything outside weird religious poo poo and "deeeep" insights. i hope he gets help someday because at one point he was a cool dude.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

The Lincoln Project guy did not say very pleasant things about Michael Brown.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Nonsense posted:

The Lincoln Project guy did not say very pleasant things about Michael Brown.

J. Edgar Hoover opposed the internment of Japanese-Americans. Bad people can still do good things on occasion.

generic one
Oct 2, 2004

I wish I was a little bit taller
I wish I was a baller
I wish I had a wookie in a hat with a bat
And a six four Impala

Nap Ghost

OneSizeFitsAll posted:

It’s been fairly well documented that he’s bipolar, and he’s been off his meds for a couple of years. That and B is a helluva combination. I have memories from my childhood of a handful of times where my grandma (also bipolar) would go off her medication, but those were only short lengths of time. I can’t begin to imagine what it’d have been like if she’d just decided to stop taking them forever.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

https://twitter.com/AndrewFeinberg/status/1280947451323723776

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

abolish ice is not a popular issue among hispanic voters, and 48% believe that the US has the right number of immigrants

I feel like dems and leftists have to remind themselves this every 2 years: The Latin American community is not a unified voting bloc.