Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

I have complete faith in the author.

Also, this is just the location that Eren chose to go to himself. There should be a large amount of titans all over the world wreaking havoc completely independently. I'm curious where they'll stop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Did we ever find out who won that spar between Annie and Mikasa? I wonder if the author forgot about that or if it’ll become relevant.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤

RatHat posted:

Did we ever find out who won that spar between Annie and Mikasa? I wonder if the author forgot about that or if it’ll become relevant.
I think it was deliberately left ambiguous. We'll never know.

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

Squidster posted:

I think it was deliberately left ambiguous. We'll never know.

I believe it was asked in one interview. Isayama answered that Shadis intervened and ended the duel before it was decided.

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009
Zeke's loving faces every time he tries to bro it up always get me, he's just too precious

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...
The fact that Zeke so desperately wants Eren to love him is funny and sad.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

Beefstew posted:

The fact that Zeke so desperately wants Eren to love him is funny and sad.

The best part is Eren seems to genuinely not give a poo poo about him.

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

This is what fascinates me most in existence: the peculiar necessity of imagining what is, in fact, real.

I wonder if Eren's on some golden path type thing right now. We know that the memory sharing can go forward, and Eren saw something, so maybe he feels trapped on a path set by prescient vision and regardless of if it's right, he thinks that what he's doing is the only path forward because of those visions.

Kinda fits with the visual metaphor of the Attack Titan's current form.

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

^yeah I've long felt like there's paralells between Paul and Eren. Not sure if Isayama has ever mentioned being a Dune fan.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

ATP_Power posted:

I wonder if Eren's on some golden path type thing right now. We know that the memory sharing can go forward, and Eren saw something, so maybe he feels trapped on a path set by prescient vision and regardless of if it's right, he thinks that what he's doing is the only path forward because of those visions.

Kinda fits with the visual metaphor of the Attack Titan's current form.

The implication so far has been that, rather than actively feeling trapped by his prescience, events simply continue to unfold as he's foreseen, and consequently he does what he must.

Remember the main theme here is that it's him. It's always been him. The power of the Attack Titan - his future self and perhaps Ymir's will - have provided him only with very rough guidance by showing him both the past and snapshots of the results of his actions (along a glimmer of hope at the end of a terrible journey), but ultimately the inevitability of his visions lies not in them being the best possible outcome or the only one he can predict, but that in any given juncture Eren will always find himself making the choice that leads to the next step along the path he's laid out.

That is what he bitterly laments. That is why he has to force himself to fight. His enemy is the entire world, and because he is who he is, not confronting it was never on the table.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

also presumably since he can see the future he knows that what he's doing is the only way

mightygerm
Jun 29, 2002

I wonder if the parallels to determinism are intentional. Although he fights for freedom, Eren appears to be a slave to the future memories and has no free will. I wonder if his reaction to Sasha was a hint of this.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Yeah, we commented the same a few months ago, including the similarity to Dune, and how Eren could be prisoner right now of his precognition and the paths. It would be a good way for Isayama to redeem the character at the end, show how from his perspective it seemed there was no other path.

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

While we're on the topic Dune is a great book. If you haven't read it, maybe do so to kill some time until the next chapter :v:

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Eren is way more Leto than Paul. Paul saw the future and blinded himself because he didn't have the heart to Do What Must Be Done.

Faustian Bargain
Apr 12, 2014

Turin Turambar posted:

Yeah, we commented the same a few months ago, including the similarity to Dune, and how Eren could be prisoner right now of his precognition and the paths. It would be a good way for Isayama to redeem the character at the end, show how from his perspective it seemed there was no other path.
I hate this. Why does Eren have to have a redemption arc? Let him be hosed up.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
I'd definitely buy that there'll be another twist to Eren and his whole deal, but a redemption in the popular sense seems, uh, unlikely.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Just as Eren is about to murder an entire town, the aliens who created the Titans come back to invade. Using his new army and powers Eren defeats them easily, sacrificing all the Titans in the process. His final act as a Titan is to fly directly into the Alien's core, causing the ship to explode but somehow Mikasa gets into space and saves him, carrying him back down on a brand new Zero G Maneuver Gear.

Otakufag
Aug 23, 2004
Eren does not see the future, since there's no more attack titan wielders after him to get memories from.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
I mean yeah that's the point of ending the Golden Path. If no one can see the future them humanity can be free.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.
I thought Eren could see his own future by exploiting the loophole of seeing himself from through his father's eyes.

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

I thought Eren does see the future? 'that scenery' is the future? Small pieces keep falling into place, reinforcing the apparent inevitability of his actions, e.g. he's not surprised by Sasha's death?

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

In It For The Tank posted:

I thought Eren could see his own future by exploiting the loophole of seeing himself from through his father's eyes.

I think this is precisely the case. Dad can see future with Attack Titan, Eren can see dad's memories of the future thanks to Founding Titan/contact with royals/Zeke in the Paths Dimension.
Eren is all about those loopholes.
Oh, the Founding Titan is a catch-22 where you need royal blood to activate it, but will be made unwilling to do so if you're royal? gently caress it, just use physical contact with a royal and do it yourself.
Oh, Ymir can't obey orders to initiate the Rumbling in the first place? gently caress it, just set her free and then ask her to do it.
Eren's all about shortening the way. He really is the Kwisatz Haderach.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Eren needs no redemption arc because the peaceful alternative of sacrificing a woman and her child and so on for generations, on the hope of maintaining a tenuous status quo enforced by a threat of global annihilation, does not hold the moral high ground.

Conspiratiorist fucked around with this message at 10:59 on Jul 9, 2020

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

ImpAtom posted:

Just as Eren is about to murder an entire town, the aliens who created the Titans come back to invade. Using his new army and powers Eren defeats them easily, sacrificing all the Titans in the process. His final act as a Titan is to fly directly into the Alien's core, causing the ship to explode but somehow Mikasa gets into space and saves him, carrying him back down on a brand new Zero G Maneuver Gear.
Get Trigger to do this as a 2-episode finale and you've got me on board.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

Saw this on the subreddit, and all I have to say is: Goddammit, Isayama.

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

Conspiratiorist posted:

Eren needs no redemption arc because the peaceful alternative of sacrificing a woman and her child and so on for generations, on the hope of maintaining a tenuous status quo enforced by a threat of global annihilation, does not hold the moral high ground.
I agree. This finale is interesting because, after trying to find alternatives Eren has arrived with no 'good' options, and he's also the only one with the strength to take action. He has to choose, even doing nothing is a choice at this point. This awful cycle was set in motion 2000 years ago; no one alive has anything to do with the cause. My hope for a 'happy' ending is the end of the curse and destruction of whatever the hell the parasite thing is.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
I still love the captain tsubasa-esque proportions of the colossal titans.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

You know I love how the author keeps repeating that Every single thing that Eren has done was to get where he is.
No ambiguity, no subtlety.

This is exactly what he wanted all along, and I have told and shown you multiple times. I have shown you multiple instances where anyone elses faith would have been shaken to their core, but Eren just kept moving forward. You are an idiot for ever thinking otherwise.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I'll never forget his hearing Reiner and Bert just making their big speech about why they did what they did to an Eren torso, and Eren just wide eyed responds "I promise I will murder the two of you." Without any remorse or hesitation.

It was a great moment, but also probably one of the bigger red flags I ignored.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Rigged Death Trap posted:

You know I love how the author keeps repeating that Every single thing that Eren has done was to get where he is.
No ambiguity, no subtlety.

This is exactly what he wanted all along, and I have told and shown you multiple times. I have shown you multiple instances where anyone elses faith would have been shaken to their core, but Eren just kept moving forward. You are an idiot for ever thinking otherwise.

I think that was always very clear, yes

Thats why I never doubted for a second that he really was going for titan armageddon

edit: and also never believed he was following Zeke's plan, it would be totally out of character

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Jul 9, 2020

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

With what, 5 more chapters left, I actually think we're in for about 1-2 more major twists in the big Titan apocalypse plan to come.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

DaveKap posted:

Every once in a while I think that I've seen every freaky loving monster I'll ever see and then this poo poo happens:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aF9LP-9uG_k

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Shinjobi posted:

I'll never forget his hearing Reiner and Bert just making their big speech about why they did what they did to an Eren torso, and Eren just wide eyed responds "I promise I will murder the two of you." Without any remorse or hesitation.

It was a great moment, but also probably one of the bigger red flags I ignored.
eren making a called shot

there's also that time reiner believed eren was the worst possible person to have the founding titan

Thoren
May 28, 2008
Wait a sec am I reading it right that Eren got Historia pregnant?

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

Thoren posted:

Wait a sec am I reading it right that Eren got Historia pregnant?
it's been a fan theory, it seems a sure thing but there's still some room for doubt because of how she phrases her idea.

'how about I bear a child?' doesn't necessarily involve Eren. but then there's Eren talking about 'them' living after he dies, mikasa's love being brought up, and the mirror of grisha's relationship with a royal family member, so I'm like 99% convinced

bees x1000 fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Jul 9, 2020

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Elias_Maluco posted:

I think that was always very clear, yes

Thats why I never doubted for a second that he really was going for titan armageddon

edit: and also never believed he was following Zeke's plan, it would be totally out of character

Lotta people keep expecting eren to do a perfect face turn instead of doing what he said multiple times he'd do.

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012
Nah it's more that there has to be something else to it.

We saw what's gonna happen when the walls came crumbling down and we got the POV of the Yeagerists, the Eldian empire was gonna be rebuilt by Floch and his fascist crew with the cycle of oppression starting all over again. That doesn't save anyone, which is the whole reason Eren is doing this.

So there is something else that's gonna happen, it won't end with Eren being talked down, but it also can't end with the whole world being wiped out and Paradis starts over, it goes against everything the author has written so far. Isayama has shown a very real understanding of how humans would actually behave in situations like this and has characters make comments that show he knows that the current outcome just leads to the same future they have now.

I'm personally thinking Eren mind wipes the survivors and makes it so Titans can't ever appear again with his new powers, basically restarting the clock on humanity.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Asuron posted:

I'm personally thinking Eren mind wipes the survivors and makes it so Titans can't ever appear again with his new powers, basically restarting the clock on humanity.

If he was going to do that why did he start the rumbling?

It'd also be kind of a downer ending if it turns out the only solution is mind control.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

RatHat posted:

If he was going to do that why did he start the rumbling?

It'd also be kind of a downer ending if it turns out the only solution is mind control.

He can only mind control/wipe Eldians