Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

blk
Dec 19, 2009
Edit: need to anonymize that youtube post

blk fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Jun 25, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

That gen Thunderbird with the SVO 4 pot turbo is fun, you can throw a bunch of modern parts at it and have a 300+ hp pinto engine.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Turbo Coupes (and the matching Cougar XR7) can be gangs of fun. that Pinto 2.3L was surprisingly tough.

SFH1989
Apr 23, 2007

I guess my dad was jealous ever since he got to drive my Challenger.

His is a year newer ('16), auto, and has a sunroof. Torred is a much better color in person than in pictures. It's also the first auto Chanllenger I've driven and I really liked the ZF 8 speed.

And yes he knows someone with a blue one so we can take some tacky as gently caress :911: pictures.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
haha your dad's car looks like a full blown mid-life crisis compared to yours in that color.

MunchE
Sep 7, 2000

MrOnBicycle posted:

I like the look of them. How are they to drive compared to say, a Mustang of the same era?

the mid 90s Thunderbird is a big heavy touring car, more room softer ride proper IRS vs. the Mustang of the time which was very much still a Muscle car running on a platform from the 70s.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this
I've always been partial to the Lincoln Mk 8 of that platform, but the Thunderbird isn't bad either. I like the competing eldorado too, but head bolts are supposedly a problem for that era northstar (I think, I could be offbase)

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

Head bolts are a problem for all Northstars. The fix is to tap the block and head for bigger studs and then that problem is solved. Issue is the work costs more than anything with a Northstar is worth.

https://youtu.be/-nf0bp4dmZU

Goes over it.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

BigPaddy posted:

Head bolts are a problem for all Northstars. The fix is to tap the block and head for bigger studs and then that problem is solved. Issue is the work costs more than anything with a Northstar is worth.

https://youtu.be/-nf0bp4dmZU

Goes over it.

Ah, my vague recollection of that video was right. Between that and the eldorado being fwd, the mk 8 makes more and more sense.

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

BADGES? WE DON'T NEED NO STINKIN' BADGES!

dema posted:

I had an MGW shifter on my C5 Z06 and quite frankly, it was glorious. I never should have sold that car.

Oh well.

I'm considering going from a V8 B7 S4 to a 996, what's the transition been like for you? I miss my b7 pretty badly so I've been shopping for RS4's but the prices are just too high for me.

Some beautiful blue and green Audis in the last few pages. Here is my boring silver one I un-front-plated and washed. I maintain it is the ultimate family car, though, if you have 2 kids or less and no dogs.

Scionix
Oct 17, 2009

hoog emm xDDD
I dun wrapped the car

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Scionix posted:

I dun wrapped the car

:gizz:

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

That looks great. Nice work.

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

I could use a garage again someday.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Just took delivery of this truck that can not die.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Only 100k. That's barely broken in!!

Night Danger Moose
Jan 5, 2004

YO SOY FIESTA

I love seeing the dealer plate on the back of your imports. It's just so unexpected and awesome.

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

I love the color.

Scionix
Oct 17, 2009

hoog emm xDDD
Why come two sticks?

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Scionix posted:

Why come two sticks?

One is for the transfer case to switch from high to neutral to low.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Scionix posted:

Why come two sticks?

Because it's four wheel drive. You have your normal shifting action, then you get a whole other stick to deal with how you approach 4WD. You get H2, which is 2WD for most driving, H4 which is the same gearing but now you're driving the front wheels as well, N for neutral and then L4, which gears it down real low to turn more of your power into torque. You will be reving the balls off the engine but only going like 20 mph.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I wish there was L2 for crawling through traffic.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

You mean 'over traffic'?

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

taqueso posted:

You mean 'over traffic'?

I would sometimes put my work truck into L4 because traffic crawled at a few mph and even idling I would have to keep my foot on the brakes. Low range was perfect

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Charles posted:

I wish there was L2 for crawling through traffic.

It has manual hubs. Leave em unlocked and you get L2.

There's also kits out there to split the high/low and 2wd/4wd, with some transfercases allowing you to select which axle gets the power. I don't know the loadout specific to this one, usual variants of this vintage have a metric ton of aftermarket for the transmission and xfer.

TenaciousTomato
Jul 17, 2007

Interworld and the New Innocence
Last few cars on this page are sweeeet! Love the color of that Taco and willroc, nice A6L!! Silver is super nice. And of course the Porsche and Merc go without saying! :)

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

TenaciousTomato posted:

Last few cars on this page are sweeeet! Love the color of that Taco and willroc, nice A6L!! Silver is super nice. And of course the Porsche and Merc go without saying! :)

You're going to give Kaker an aneurysm.

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

TenaciousTomato posted:

Am I being trolled too? Lol. You know what, it does look like a 6 in that lighting. Rest assured though, it is no peasant 6 series car. The rear seating room for rear facing car seats is offered only by the stately A8Longboi. My wife and kids are going to be forever spoiled by this thing. She went from a 2006 Saab 9-3 to this. Not a bad car though, tbh, with a 5 speed it’s quite enjoyable.

got off on a technicality
Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

willroc7 posted:

Am I being trolled too? Lol. You know what, it does look like a 6 in that lighting

:aaaaa: I thought it was a 6 as well. Really nice though!

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

got off on a technicality posted:

:aaaaa: I thought it was a 6 as well. Really nice though!

Same lol. A8s are sweet though I rarely see them around

TenaciousTomato
Jul 17, 2007

willroc7 posted:

Am I being trolled too? Lol. You know what, it does look like a 6 in that lighting. Rest assured though, it is no peasant 6 series car. The rear seating room for rear facing car seats is offered only by the stately A8Longboi. My wife and kids are going to be forever spoiled by this thing. She went from a 2006 Saab 9-3 to this. Not a bad car though, tbh, with a 5 speed it’s quite enjoyable.

I guess I am all types of loving up, lol. Sorry, Toyota Hilux (direct from Japan?), and is there even such thing as an A6L? My bad haha, it was the reflection of the badge that threw me off.

edit: I guess so. 2019 model in that was only available in China.

TenaciousTomato fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Jul 18, 2020

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

TenaciousTomato posted:

I guess I am all types of loving up, lol. Sorry, Toyota Hilux (direct from Japan?), and is there even such thing as an A6L? My bad haha, it was the reflection of the badge that threw me off.

edit: I guess so. 2019 model in that was only available in China.

Wow, wild. Learn something every day. I would've cross shopped that had it existed in the US. I was really just after the extra legroom for rear facing car seats. I got it super cheap on craigslist with 99K on it and the first 15K I've put on it have been great. Incredible car.

TenaciousTomato
Jul 17, 2007

willroc7 posted:

Wow, wild. Learn something every day. I would've cross shopped that had it existed in the US. I was really just after the extra legroom for rear facing car seats. I got it super cheap on craigslist with 99K on it and the first 15K I've put on it have been great. Incredible car.

That's so awesome. Glad you like it. That things gotta be so comfortable. If you ever want to upgrade.. after some more Googling, it gets even better: the Audi A8 L Security.

Wikipedia posted:

A8 L Security (2014–)

Available in V8 4.0 TFSI or W12 FSI engines, the A8 L Security is an armoured version of the A8 L with VR9 ballistic protection standard in accordance with the BRV 2009 guideline, with VR 10 in certain areas, and explosives resistance tested in accordance with the ERV 2010 guideline (Explosion Resistant Vehicles). The occupant cell is made of heat-formed armor steel, aramid fabric, ceramic, a special aluminum alloy, and multi-laminated glass, with protective materials overlap at transitions. The aluminum side sills incorporate ballistic-proof profiles. The armor-plated vehicle floor made from a special aluminum alloy for explosive weapons resistance. Door windows, windshield and rear window incorporate special glass with a splinter-inhibiting polycarbonate layer on the inside, with doorstop function and optional electromechanical side windows. Other optional security equipment include emergency exit system with pyrotechnic fracture bolts in the hinges detach the door from the body, fire extinguisher system with two tanks and nozzles spray to wheel arches, onto the underbody and tank, and into the engine compartment; emergency fresh-air system with two pressurized cartridges housed in the protected zone, security start with remote radio signal engine start, selective unlocking of doors, a smoke extractor for the interior, an LED signal system for convoy driving, pennant holder, flashing lights, a siren, a preparation for or installation of analog and digital radio networks for security authorities and organizations, a built-in phone, an accident data recorder, an additional rear camera, a heated windshield including partly heated side windows. Other features included LED (V8 4.0 TFSI) or Matrix LED (W12 FSI) headlights, quattro permanent all-wheel drive, armor-plated (ceramic doors, aluminum frame) communications box in the trunk with a supplementary battery, optional battery and fuel tank protection, intercom system with a loudspeaker in the Singleframe grille and microphones for the interior and the vehicle's surroundings....

That's just bananas. May as well get the W12 cylinder if you're gonna go full on Yakuza mode.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Does anyone in AI own a Genesis Coupe? Asking here since this is where we post our RIDEZ.

Iconic Racism
Apr 8, 2009

willroc7 posted:

I'm considering going from a V8 B7 S4 to a 996, what's the transition been like for you? I miss my b7 pretty badly so I've been shopping for RS4's but the prices are just too high for me.

Some beautiful blue and green Audis in the last few pages. Here is my boring silver one I un-front-plated and washed. I maintain it is the ultimate family car, though, if you have 2 kids or less and no dogs.

Nice car man. I just bought a limo as well and now I know my missus and I can never go back. I got a LS600hl and it redefines the word 'refinement' for me

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Rhyno posted:

Does anyone in AI own a Genesis Coupe? Asking here since this is where we post our RIDEZ.

Slightly less than helpful but I used to own one. I had a 2013 R-Spec 2.0T that I bought new and only kept for about a year.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Imperador do Brasil posted:

Slightly less than helpful but I used to own one. I had a 2013 R-Spec 2.0T that I bought new and only kept for about a year.

What prompted you to sell it?

I'm cross shopping and I've been intrigued by the Genesis since they first released and the 3.8 looks to be a decent car but I'm looking for more personal owner experiences.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

Based on what Bisimoto had done with them, I would say you could do a hell of a lot worse. The 3.8 has 6 bolt mains and can make 1000hp if you know what you're doing.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Well i don't have any idea what I am doing so...

Buy yeah, I had made up my mind on a Mustang but I'm not sure I can drop 30k on a car and not hate myself right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Rhyno posted:

What prompted you to sell it?

I'm cross shopping and I've been intrigued by the Genesis since they first released and the 3.8 looks to be a decent car but I'm looking for more personal owner experiences.

Wasn’t all that exciting to be honest. Sounded great on paper and the test drive was good but it lost its wow factor extremely quickly. I had a full exhaust and intake and tune on it and it was quick-ish and sounded nice but overall meh. I can’t quite put my finger one one thing. It was well built and comfortable as well, but I had more fun in other things.