Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..
As you might have heard, the major pro sports leagues (and the NHL) are about to try and restart their season. To me, and many others, this seems like a profoundly bad idea. And, since one bad idea deserves another, I have decided to host a small competition. The rules of the game are simple. Just answer the following simple questions about how long each league — MLB, NHL, NBA — will last. At the end of each season, whenever that should be, we will determine the winners and figure out whatever we're doing for prizes.

(1) How many days will each league last, from opening day? If you think the championship will be awarded, just answer "complete." If you think the season will get canceled before opening day, feel free to answer with a negative. For seasons that do start but do not finish, we'll compare them by % of scheduled games played before the shutdown.

MLB:
NHL:
NBA:
NFL:

(2) First tiebreaker. How many players from each sport will end up contracting SARS-CoV-2?

MLB:
NHL:
NBA:
NFL:

Also feel free to use this thread for sidebets and stuff. Go nuts.

e:

Hand Knit posted:

I feel like I maybe should've added a counter for voluntary opt outs. Feel free to add those numbers too, if you feel like it.

Hand Knit fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Jul 12, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
1.)

MLB: CANCELLED 10 DAYS BEFORE
NBA: COMPLETE
NHL: 15 games
NFL: COMPLETE forever they will never stop football

2.)

MLB: 14
NBA: 36
NHL: 10
NFL: 50+

verbal enema fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Jul 9, 2020

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

verbal enema posted:

1.)

MLB: CANCELLED
NHL: 15 games
NFL: COMPLETE forever they will never stop football

2.)

NBA: 36
NHL: 10
NFL: 50+

If you think a league will be canceled before beginning, you can put down how many days before opening day it will be canceled.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

1.)

MLB: -5
NHL: 5
NFL: COMPLETE

2.)

MLB: 200
NBA: 12
NHL: 30
NFL: 100+

All I know for sure is there's already 70+ players with a positive test in baseball, no way they make it 3 weeks to opening day

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Let me change it to days, I need to look at a calendar:

MLB: 40 days E: Trying to do half a season plus playoffs
NHL: 8 Days
NBA: 8 Days

(2) First tiebreaker. How many players from each sport will end up contracting SARS-CoV-2?

MLB: 80 infections
NHL: 15 infections
NBA: 15 infections
NFL: 100 infections

Rick fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Jul 9, 2020

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967
MLB: -7
NHL: Complete
NBA: 10 days (No playoffs, but the 8 regular season games mostly complete)
NFL: Delayed Opening Day till week 7, Complete After that

MLB: 150
NHL: 20
NBA: 40
NFL: 200

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Hand Knit posted:

If you think a league will be canceled before beginning, you can put down how many days before opening day it will be canceled.

i made an edit thanks for the catch

Katana_Warrior
Dec 25, 2009

Is #2 asking how many players will catch it in total, or just while in the bubble?

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Rick posted:

Let me change it to days, I need to look at a calendar:

MLB: 75 days
NHL: 8 Days
NBA: 8 Days

MLB: 80 infections
NHL: 15 infections
NBA: 15 infections
NFL: 100 infections

I'm pretty sure the baseball season is like 66 days

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Katana_Warrior posted:

Is #2 asking how many players will catch it in total, or just while in the bubble?

Let's go with diagnosed by league testing, since there's no way to confirm whether anyone actually caught it in the bubble.

Katana_Warrior
Dec 25, 2009

Hand Knit posted:

Let's go with diagnosed by league testing, since there's no way to confirm whether anyone actually caught it in the bubble.

in that case:

(1)

MLB: 24 days
NBA: 6 days
NFL: Complete

MLB: 152
NHL: 48
NBA: 32
NFL: 65

clean ayers act
Aug 13, 2007

How do I shot puck!?

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

(1) How many days will each league last, from opening day? If you think the championship will be awarded, just answer "complete." If you think the season will get canceled before opening day, feel free to answer with a negative. For seasons that do start but do not finish, we'll compare them by % of scheduled games played before the shutdown.

MLB: 30 days
NHL: 14 days
NBA: 25 days
NFL: 60 days

MLB: 15
NHL: 3
NBA: 20
NFL: 158

clean ayers act
Aug 13, 2007

How do I shot puck!?

NHL: 21
NFL: 90

2.)

MLB: 190
NBA: 29
NHL: 35
NFL: 150
[/quote]

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
1.)

MLB: CANCELLED 7 days before
NHL: 18

2.)

MLB: 85
NBA: 16
NHL: 25
NFL: 90

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

Gonna enter this later but just FYI, 58 baseball players tested positive in the first round of testing https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/29430179/mlb-intake-coronavirus-testing-yielded-66-positive-results-3740-tests

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
ah poo poo shows how much i pay attention to baseball lmao

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

NHL: 21
NBA: 14
NFL: 60

MLB: 148
NHL: 64
NBA: 32
NFL: 110

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
I have a strategy

MLB: Complete
NBA: Complete

MLB: 175
NHL: 150
NBA: 100
NFL: 500

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
Days until they quit:

MLB: 7 days
NHL: -10 days
NBA: 14 days
NFL: 25 days

# of infected players:

MLB: 80
NHL: 15
NBA: 90
NFL: 150

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

MLB: 11
NHL: -9

MLB: 76
NHL: 11
NBA: 51
NFL: 99

Sidebet: NCAAF will try to start Oct 1, running only conference games w/ no fans. This will not work.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Slimy Hog posted:

I'm pretty sure the baseball season is like 66 days

gently caress. I am going for half a season so I'll change that to 33 then.

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

1.)

MLB: 1
NHL: COMPLETE
NFL: 84

2.)

MLB: 150
NBA: 66
NHL: 24
NFL: 212

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

1)
MLB: 1
NBA: 5
NHL: -5

2)

NBA: 75
NFL: 300

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.

MLB: 30
NBA: 30
NFL: 50 (not counting preseason)

MLB: 120
NHL: 20
NBA: 40
NFL: 700 (NEXT MAN UP!)

habeasdorkus fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Jul 23, 2020

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

None of the 4 major sports will play any games. The NBA will have outbreaks, star players withdraw from the bubble, and the league's hand will be forced. In the MLB, more star players like Freddie Freeman get sick, at least one MLB city bans sporting events, players start opting out en masse, and Manfred cancels, and is denounced in the media by some of the owners. I dunno anything about hockey so lets say it goes roughly the same there. I think football will push it right up to the brink, but the NFL chickens out at the last minute, and yes the meltdowns will be glorious.

1)
NHL: -5
NBA: -5
NFL: -1

2)
NHL: 100
NBA: 75
NFL: 200

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
I don't really have any stakes but I would be curious what conferences of college football people think will play this year. So maybe as a side thing. You can do weeks since it is actually how college football tells time.

I'm not listing independent since I imagine those schools will vary.

ACC
American
Big 12
Big Ten
Conference USA
MAC
Mountain West
Pac-12
SEC
Sunbelt

Tiebraker:
Positive Results in all of college football

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Up to 71 MLB players testing positive already.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

I think most of these leagues will do everything possible to not shutdown. MLB is doing a ton of travelling though, and that will make things worse and I think they eventually shutdown. NFL I think shuts down because the sport itself is going to be very conducive to infecting people.

Days they play:

MLB: 30
NFL: 60

How many players from each sport will end up contracting SARS-CoV-2?

NHL: 100
NBA: 90
NFL: 220

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis
Days they play:

MLB: 32
NBA: 14

How many players from each sport will end up contracting SARS-CoV-2?

MLB: 127
NHL: 130
NBA: 51
NFL: 1200

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

I feel like I maybe should've added a counter for voluntary opt outs. Feel free to add those numbers too, if you feel like it.

the yellow dart
Jul 19, 2004

King of rings, armlocks, hugs, and our hearts

MLB: 209
NHL: 112
NBA: 56
NFL: 259

BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD!

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Honestly, I think I was wrong about them shutting down MLB before they start. I think they're actually going to play some number of games. It's crazy.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

habeasdorkus posted:

Honestly, I think I was wrong about them shutting down MLB before they start. I think they're actually going to play some number of games. It's crazy.

Feeling confident they'll all just play on a mountain of skulls.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

MLB: COMPLETE
NHL: 3
NBA: 10

All this is spitballin', but I've felt all along like the NHL's effort is just enough to appease the sponsors and networks before pulling the plug. The NBA will probably be a bit cockier and let it go before shutting it down. MLB seems like they're going to do whatever the poo poo they want and the NFL guess hinges on if cases are reduced by the time they start p:laffo: who am I kidding, the US is going to continue to gently caress this up.

MLB: 170
NHL: 55
NBA: 80
NFL: 140

Gary Bettman goes "Aw, shucks, see? We tried and it just wasn't meant to be." with minimal damage. NBA goes a bit longer and gets a few more cases. NFL guess again banks on the hope for humanity that, by the time they start (assuming a potentially delayed start to the season), the pandemic is somewhat unfucked.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

MLB: complete
NHL: complete
NBA: complete
NFL: complete

No way the leagues are going to back down now.

MLB: 22
NHL: 7
NBA: 10
NFL: 35

E: I am assuming case totals are once the restart has begun and not during initial testing.

ThinkTank fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Jul 21, 2020

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Hand Knit posted:

MLB: COMPLETE

MLB: 69
NHL: 5
NBA: 13
NFL: 120

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...

MLB: 172
NHL: 48
NBA: 72
NFL: 362

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I don’t know enough about the other leagues to guess, but I will take a swing at the inevitable shitshow that is the 2020 MLB season.

MLB: 21

MLB: 120

Sidebet 1: No fewer than 4 teams will have to at some point self-quarantine and stop playing for 1-2 weeks due to their total number of current roster infections.

Sidebet 2: The season won’t be cancelled due to public/government pressure or even rising infection rates among players. Instead it’ll be cancelled because of the ensuing scheduling issues caused by whole teams having to quarantine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

MLB: complete
NHL: complete
NBA: complete
NFL: complete

MLB: 174
NBA: 30
NFL: 215

Also feel free to use this thread for sidebets and stuff. Go nuts.

The NHL and NBA bubbles will be fine, the other two leagues won't stop unless someone straight up dies, and even then I'm not sure they'd stop.