Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

gigglefeimer posted:

I understand the frustration, but you're referencing a game from the 90's. At some point, you have to get over it

How many Final Fantasys did they make before people figured out how to make games fun?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Gripweed posted:

How many Final Fantasys did they make before people figured out how to make games fun?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

OK, my average guy level was 50, I had a bubble belt, I had the license boards almost completely filled, I had the half MP cost item on my White Mage, I was ready to go. And I almost instantly got my rear end kicked by a bunch of floating pillars in an engine room

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
It's best to just run past everything in the Bahamut, since I think they'll just keep coming infinitely and they're kinda tough. The place is like 3 screens long anyway.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Gripweed posted:

15 or so

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

As predicted in the Bible. :cheers:

Gripweed posted:

None, because Final Fantasy 1 blew my goddamn mind as a kid and was fun as hell. Bit rough now, but I hear it's fine with the cleanup applied to the later versions.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
I've never heard my waistline referred to as a "bubble belt" before, but thank you, I'll have to incorporate it into future dialogues. It's...quaint!

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

oh poo poo Vayne got the T-Virus

gigglefeimer
Mar 16, 2007

Gripweed posted:

Well Final Fantasy as a series is pretty hit or miss, and having fun in a game is a two-way street between developer and player, but thankfully 6 is a pretty fun game despite the dozens of benign, obscure glitches that people learned about from the internet years after their first playthrough.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I'm glad I went ahead and beat ffxii. The ending was pretty cool and cinematic. It helped that none of the four boss fights had any weirdness, although that did make them extremely easy.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

oh hell yeah Penelo got ink. Badass.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

OK I'm glad Balthier and Fran didn't actually die, but when they were on the crashing Bahamut I briefly thought they were fixing it so they could steal it to use as their new pirate ship. If that had actually happened, I would've forgiven a lot that annoyed me about the game. That would've made me like FFXII a lot despite everything.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Well I did it. I played and beat Final Fantasy XII: The Zodiac Age. Looking back, I was a little harsh on it. It certainly had problems. The characters didn't get the attention they deserved, the story got kind a dumb when they were just running around trying to find or destroy crystals, and nothing anyone says will ever convince me that it's OK for a game to have Sleep, Disable, and Stop as three different status effects with three different cures. That is nonsense. But I had a worse time playing it than I would've if I had gone in with proper expectations. I actually might give it another try. Some day. In the far future.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Welcome friend. You are now ready to play Final Fantasy. A series we hate to love to play.

A series we love to hate to play.

Maybe just a series we play.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

I like it

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

zedprime posted:

Welcome friend. You are now ready to play Final Fantasy. A series we hate to love to play.

A series we love to hate to play.

Maybe just a series we play.

Oh no I really enjoyed half of my Final Fantasy experience so far.

Final Fantasy XIII - good
Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn - good
Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within - enjoyable to watch but kinda a mess
Final Fantasy XII: The Zodiac Age - some good elements but overall didn't care for it.

Where will my Final Fantasy journey take me next?...

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Gripweed posted:

Well I did it. I played and beat Final Fantasy XII: The Zodiac Age. Looking back, I was a little harsh on it. It certainly had problems. The characters didn't get the attention they deserved, the story got kind a dumb when they were just running around trying to find or destroy crystals, and nothing anyone says will ever convince me that it's OK for a game to have Sleep, Disable, and Stop as three different status effects with three different cures. That is nonsense. But I had a worse time playing it than I would've if I had gone in with proper expectations. I actually might give it another try. Some day. In the far future.

Congratulations, you are now ready to do the Stormblood Ivalice raids. Well, the first two at least

bentacos
Oct 9, 2012

Gripweed posted:

Final Fantasy XII: The Zodiac Age - some good elements but overall didn't care for it.

Do XV next. Especially Episode Ardyn.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Congratulations, you are now ready to do the Stormblood Ivalice raids. Well, the first two at least

No I'm not, I haven't played Heavensward yet

bentacos posted:

Do XV next. Especially Episode Ardyn.

I don't have a PS4

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Gripweed posted:

Play IX if you want something extremely chill and a lot easier/more straightforward than XII

All the PS1-era games are available on Switch though the best version is the PC version because you can use the Moguri mod to upscale the prerendered backgrounds and make them even prettier.

Gripweed posted:

I don't have a PS4

If you have a PC, XV is also on PC and it's a good port.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
The definitive FF guide by me

FF1 - Simple but good
FF2 - Janky but good
FF3 - Bad and not in a fun way
FF4 - Very cool and good
FF5 - Even cooler and better
FF6 - It’s a good one
FF7 - Great
FF8 - So stupid it circles back to being Great
FF9 - Great
FF10 - Also Great
FF11 - I did not like this
FF12 - Excellent, prob best in series, gently caress haters
FF13 - Boring but okay
FF14 - Actually got me to enjoy an MMO
FF15 - Not Great but in a very interesting and fun way

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

HD DAD posted:

The definitive FF guide by me

FF1 - Simple but good
FF2 - Janky but good
FF3 - Bad and not in a fun way
FF4 - Very cool and good
FF5 - Even cooler and better
FF6 - It’s a good one
FF7 - Great
FF8 - So stupid it circles back to being Great
FF9 - Great
FF10 - Also Great
FF11 - I did not like this
FF12 - Excellent, prob best in series, gently caress haters
FF13 - Boring but okay
FF14 - Actually got me to enjoy an MMO
FF15 - Not Great but in a very interesting and fun way

There are a lot of correct opinions in this list

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Gripweed posted:

chocobo's dungeon 2 true ending

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

So I've been having an argument elsewhere about if sales can prove a game's popularity. I think they can as long as those initial sales are maintained. As a Metal Gear Solid 2 fan, I know all too well that big sales at first does not translate to popularity. Poor MGS3 is also a victim ofthis since MGS2's hate online really hurt MGS3's sales even though MGS3 is incredibly beloved.

But I think sales long after the fact can be used to prove popularity. Nobody is gonna buy your game 2 or 5 or 10 years after it came out unless they like it, especially not millions. When I heard about FFXIII selling 500K on Steam for example, I took that as evidence the game is not hated nearly as much as forums like this would make you think.

Alls this has been a preamble because thanks to a poster in the Steam thread, I got Augmented Steam and it gives you a figure for how many people have bought games on Steam. I'm having a lot of fun with this.

I think pretty much every FF game is on Steam now so looking them up....
FFXV Windows Edition: 1-2M
FFXIII: 500K-1M
FFX/X-2 HD: 500K-1M
FFIX: 500K-1M
FFVIII Remastered: 50K-100K
FFVII: 1M-2M
FFVI: 200K-500K
FFV: 100K-200K
FFIV: 200K-500K
FFIII: 200-500K

That last figure really intrigues me. These are obviously not perfect but it's interesting to me.

FFVII certainly can't be listed as one of those flash-in-the-pans in terms of sales if anybody needed more proof of that. I suppose looking at players

I suppose looking at All Time Peak of Current Players might be better. FFIII had 785, FFVII 6,424 FFXIII=2 1,800, FFXV 29,279, just to pick the games I'm most interested in.

ManSedan
May 7, 2006
Seats 4
So after spending ten minutes plinking away at redoing my license boards to make my dudes more optimal I said f this and reloaded to before I started. Plugged away through the Feywood and Giruvegan, I think I’m about to hit the great crystal.
All I have right now for espers is Mateus and Belias. Are there any I can go snag pretty easily right now?

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies
Was 10 actually the first ff where all the stats worked exactly as intended, give or take some weird scaling? Everything NES or SNES has at least one "oh yeah this stat doesn't actually function at all someone forgot a number" in there and I know the PS1 games are pretty weird too

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

ManSedan posted:

So after spending ten minutes plinking away at redoing my license boards to make my dudes more optimal I said f this and reloaded to before I started. Plugged away through the Feywood and Giruvegan, I think I’m about to hit the great crystal.
All I have right now for espers is Mateus and Belias. Are there any I can go snag pretty easily right now?

You should definitely be able to get Zalera by now and probably one more. Maybe Cuchulainn but I remember him being a real bastard to fight under-leveled and I don't remember what level he is.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

ManSedan posted:

Yep, Zalera is deep in the Barheim Passage (I think you need to do a sidequest in that little village by the river to get the key to get back in), and Adremmelech is in the Zertinand Caverns. I think you can find Exodus in the Mosphoran Highwastes by now (messing with the floating platforms), and yeah, you can probably get Cuchulainn in the sewers under Rabanastre by messing with the sluice gate puzzle. Hell, you can probably also get Zeromus (in an extra area of the Stillshrine of Miriam), and Chaos in the Necrohol of Nabudis.

It's been forever since I've played XII, so forgive me if I'm a bit off anywhere.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

Mister Olympus posted:

Was 10 actually the first ff where all the stats worked exactly as intended, give or take some weird scaling? Everything NES or SNES has at least one "oh yeah this stat doesn't actually function at all someone forgot a number" in there and I know the PS1 games are pretty weird too

Nah. 4's stats were so functional (especially compared to just raw defense/evade values) that all the 'best' equipment in the game is generally thought to be the stat boosting gear. They even have working anti-enemy properties for probably the first time in Final Fantasy, with weapons providing traits like Elements, anti-Mage, anti-Giant, etc. There's still some equipment bugs- most famously, once you give a character the ability to do full damage from the back row- like giving Cecil a bow and arrows or Edge a boomerang in his right hand- they keep that ability forever onward regardless of weapon as the flag is not removed when you take the gear off- but the SNES release is generally pretty good about having functional stats and gear. The only exception I can think of is the Black Robe, which is bugged to give Will/Spirit instead of Wisdom/Intelligence, thus not actually doing anything for Rydia's magic power.

They're even so functional that some abilities and items interact with each other in interesting ways. For example, the only known way in SNES FF4 to increase Edge's steal chance is Porem's Cry, due to it interacting with the enemy's various hidden defensive values. This despite the fact that you'll never have Porem and Edge in the same party.

This all goes out the window in FF4A, where most of the new weapons are bugged to act as armor, and instead give resistances instead of dealing elemental damage or having properties like Thrown or Instant KO.

Mr. Locke fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Jul 9, 2020

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Do a FFV fiesta next. Especially if it's your first.

Aithon
Jan 3, 2014

Every puzzle has an answer.

Gripweed posted:

exactly four

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

cock hero flux posted:

not even slightly impressed by the gatling dog or one who turns into a tastefully furnished bungalow?

Ventana posted:

I like how everyone's eidonlon transformation is some sort of vehicle (or something that seems like it at least moves). Hope's is just a castle wall of weapons. Someone missed the memo. :nyoron:

The best thing about this part is the original Japanese calls the gauge "Drive" which I assumed they meant willpower until I pressed the Drive button for the first time and realized they literally meant drive like a car. :v: Which really does make Alexander even more confusing.

My actual real favorite though is an actual horse, and especially at the end because it doesn't transform back and just takes the giant sword away in its mouth. :horse:

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

The next stop on my Final Fantasy journey was volumes 1 and 2 of Final Fantasy: Lost Stranger! It's an isekai manga about a Square Enix employee who travels to the world of Final Fantasy.

I'm gonna be honest, I did not have high expectations going in. I was expecting it to be as bad as that "I got reincarnated as Yamcha?!" DBZ manga. I was expecting total fanservive wish fulfillment. But it's actually alright. It gets established very early on that this is it's own new Final Fantasy world, and the main character is reminded that every Final Fantasy is different. So his FF knowledge is sometimes useful, but also sometimes dangerously misleading. And the main character isn't as bad I expected either. He has personality traits outside of "loves Final Fantasy".

It's not like, amazing, but it's a decent fantasy manga. I wouldn't recommend it to someone with no Final Fantasy knowledge, but I'd say a Final Fantasy fan could probably have a worse Final Fantasy experience than reading Lost Stranger.

In the second volume they introduce three characters and the main guys is like, "I bet they're those three characters from FFIV and FFX!" and I gotta say, it really pushed those two Final Fantasys up t the top of my to-play list.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Have you watched Dad of Light

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

not yet

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
It's good.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Mr. Locke posted:

The only exception I can think of is the Black Robe, which is bugged to give Will/Spirit instead of Wisdom/Intelligence, thus not actually doing anything for Rydia's magic power.

asura :colbert:

Draga
Dec 9, 2011

WASHI JA!

Gripweed posted:

In the second volume they introduce three characters and the main guys is like, "I bet they're those three characters from FFIV and FFX!" and I gotta say, it really pushed those two Final Fantasys up t the top of my to-play list.

The Magus Sisters?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Draga posted:

The Magus Sisters?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

More Will doesn't help Asura out as she casts Life 1 again on my struggling but still standing team. :colbert: