Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

My April 20th KBRepublic order finally arrived!

It was the one I sent to the wrong address :negative:

The address I sent it to doesn't even exist, where the hell is this package...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taborcarn
Jan 8, 2020

Battle Santa
I picked up the GMMK TKL the other day, since I was looking for something that was hot-swappable but also available on Amazon. This was about $150 cheaper than the DROP Ctrl and Alt so I went with it.

So far I'm enjoying it. The backlighting is fine, I didn't want to install the software and controlling it from the keyboard itself was easy enough. Eventually I want to swap to Zealios, but for now these Gateron Browns aren't too bad to work with.

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

Roger Baolong Thunder Dragon has been fascinated by this sophisticated and scientifically beautiful industry since childhood, and has shown his talent in the design and manufacture of watches.
Got a new home for my Jiji keycap today, .Z.

lol the sculpt for the top row of keys is fucky because all the row 0 keys I'd need are in the Extras set I didn't buy

HappyCapybaraFamily fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Jul 7, 2020

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

HappyCapybaraFamily posted:

Got a new home for my Jiji keycap today, .Z.

lol the sculpt for the top row of keys is fucky because all the row 0 keys I'd need are in the Extras set I didn't buy

What model is that numpad?

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

Roger Baolong Thunder Dragon has been fascinated by this sophisticated and scientifically beautiful industry since childhood, and has shown his talent in the design and manufacture of watches.

.Z. posted:

What model is that numpad?

D'oh, knew I forgot something. It's the GK21S. Ordered it off (rear end)Drop a few months back, and it arrived today. The KPRepublic link goes to the same switchless/capless variant I got, for pretty much the same price I paid.

It is hotswap with RGB backlighting and Bluetooth. You can also use it plugged in. It's apparently somewhat programmable, but I haven't dug into that yet. Works fine for my needs out of the box.

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.
Got my "new" model M from unicomp today, first impressions? holy rear end gently caress the keys are heavy to type on, here I was worried about the sound of the thing, didn't consider the key-weight coming from gateron optical browns.

Edit: when I say "New" I mean like how nintendo uses it. I'm a bit disappointed they decided to change their keys, I don't know if it's because they switched to 1 piece keys over 2 piece or if it's just the gray set that comes with The New Model M but they sound and feel pretty thin and clacky, and the color and finish is pretty ugly. Though to be fair this is my first unicomp so it could just be how they are, still might try to snag some actual IBM 2 piece keys or at least old unicomp ones in tan/offwhite.

oh yeah also the nubs on f and j are super shallow, barely noticeable. good thing I'm a master typist.

runaway dog fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Jul 9, 2020

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

So I got a K1 with Red switches and hated it. I asked to return it, and they're customer service is a joke.

Which leads me to what I discovered. I have some slight RSI issues. It's not classic RSI, but my hands get tired if I use most mechanical keyboards. For a few years I used a microsoft sculpt, and that worked, but not 100%. Finally I saw an acupuncturist and he mentioned maybe it was the keyboard. So i switched back to the apple classic keyboard with a wire, and keep my hands up when typing, and it cured it all. Well they don't make them anymore, and the magic keyboards now have even less travel and while they also don't hurt my hands, they don't feel as good.

Enter the Logitech MX keys keyboard. Feels even better than the apple keyboards, wireless, and hands love em. And I bought that last week, before they just released a new one this week that's the same but called MX Keys Mac addition. Minus the fact that the battery in this thing isn't user replaceable, this is the keyboard I see myself using for the next 10+ years. (I'd buy backups now but I assume the battery in the box would go bad too?)

anyway, just love this keyboard.

Love travel scissors switches is the way! (and it only costs $100)

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

OH BOY OH BOY OH BOY!!!

GAHHHHHHHHH I've never gotten anything keyboard related in such a short period of time before!!!

YUSSSSSSSSSSSS!

*faints*

Edit: what do y'all think of 67g Zilents?

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Jul 9, 2020

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
I'm a sucker, a little fucker.
Sweet, no soldering too, so you should be up and running real quick.

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I fuckin love the v1 67g Zilents. I tried the v2, same weight, but it wasn't as silent and also felt heavier and unpleasantly more tactile. I traded my bag of v2s for someone else's v1s for the ill-fated Lumina build that might not end up happening :v: I should just give in and just do another DZ60 build, maybe with a 5° case

FireTora
Oct 6, 2004

Nice. I was close buying the KBD75 kit but decided to sell my extra switches, save the money, and commit to getting used to the 60 I built back in January instead.

Switching to ISO at the same time definitely didn't help. Came from a TKL and still getting used to not having some of the keys I used to use frequently.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I didn''t know there were v1/v2 variants, but they're my favourite switch for sure.

My personal preference, I'd say top-tier are Zilents, then the Halo
Clears, with Cherry Clears/Greens tied for third, and everything else after.

I haven't used a Model M-type bucking springs literally since the 80s.I personally just abhor linear switches.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Constellation I posted:

Sweet, no soldering too, so you should be up and running real quick.

Yeah I'm very stoked.
If only I had my keycaps :negative:

I'm waiting on the latest round of susuwatari, and the ePBT Ivory.
Any suggestions for what caps would look good with this brilliant purple case? I was going to use the susuwatari but I might have a whole 'nother keeb by the time I get it.

I'm typing on Cherry Clears right now but I have to say as nice as they are, the Hako Clears are so much better.
If I wasn't resolved to leave my Code completely untouched, I'd swap the Cherry for Hako without a doubt.

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Jul 9, 2020

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
GMK Lazer lol

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Any suggestions for what caps would look good with this brilliant purple case?

GMK Laser is active on Drop, but lol estimated shipping of this December.

If you like SA caps and even more purple, here's a MAXKEY set from the same place you bought the keyboard.

edit: DSA Nerd Elvish would be super neat, imo.

HappyCapybaraFamily fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Jul 9, 2020

FireTora
Oct 6, 2004

Commit to the purple like I did!

It looks like Hana just sold out again on PMK. That MAXKEY set looks pretty good, and this DSA Astrolokey set from Assdrop would be sweet, it looks like its almost an identical colorway to Hana.

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

Vaporwave looked nice, though currently sold out: https://novelkeys.xyz/collections/frontpage/products/cherry-ptb-vaporwave

edit:

HappyCapybaraFamily posted:

GMK Laser is active on Drop, but lol estimated shipping of this December.

That case's color looks to be a better match than the Laser edition Alt, lol.

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

edit:oops. Delete this

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

.Z. posted:

Vaporwave looked nice, though currently sold out: https://novelkeys.xyz/collections/frontpage/products/cherry-ptb-vaporwave

edit:

Yeah that's a touch too gauche for me. If it matched I'd probably approve.

I just ordered their Skylights for $45.
https://drop.com/buy/drop-skylight-series-keycap-set

At least it will get here this year.

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005

.Z. posted:

Yeah, I hate whoever's in charge of approving the anodized colours for the Massdrop keyboards. The old K-Type from Input Club / Massdrop had this nice space grey render. The real keyboard ending up looking like the back of aluminium foil.

The initial CTRL renders had the same issue where it looked super dark, almost back, but ended up being much lighter. I think they finally fixed the renders after being called out on it though.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof
Can we talk about how amazing VIA is? https://caniusevia.com/

Like I was disappointed that I couldn't find any documentation on how to get it to recognize my keyboard, or how to program using it or really anything... not even a picture of the gui.
But then I just plugged in my keyboard, opened via and LOL it just loving works. Everything is pretty self explanatory so I guess there's really no need for that level of documentation.

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Can we talk about how amazing VIA is? https://caniusevia.com/

Like I was disappointed that I couldn't find any documentation on how to get it to recognize my keyboard, or how to program using it or really anything... not even a picture of the gui.
But then I just plugged in my keyboard, opened via and LOL it just loving works. Everything is pretty self explanatory so I guess there's really no need for that level of documentation.

What does it do? I don't understand

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Lowness 72 posted:

What does it do? I don't understand

It's software that lets you program your keyboard if your keyboard is one of the supported ones.

FireTora
Oct 6, 2004

It looks like it's just a fancy GUI for loading QMK firmware.

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009

teethgrinder posted:

I didn''t know there were v1/v2 variants, but they're my favourite switch for sure.

My personal preference, I'd say top-tier are Zilents, then the Halo
Clears, with Cherry Clears/Greens tied for third, and everything else after.

I haven't used a Model M-type bucking springs literally since the 80s.I personally just abhor linear switches.

Yea Zeal did a v2 for the Zealios and the Zilents like a year or so ago? I have a some what similar sentiment about the v2 Zilents but never experienced the v1. They have an aggressive profile. I do like how they are quieter. I don’t know what else is out there tactile plus “silent”.

Nondescript Van
May 2, 2007

Gats N Party Hats :toot:
I'm a big fan of the v2 zilents. With a heavy board and pbt caps it's like typing on a nice afternoon rainstorm.

Box royals are also very tactile and I like a lot those as well but they are much louder of course.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Rexxed posted:

It's software that lets you program your keyboard if your keyboard is one of the supported ones.

Exactly this. You don't need to go into bootloader (DFU) mode in order to change keys. You can just do it on the fly.

quote:

VIA works by communicating with the firmware that is running on the device and sending it commands across USB. Enabling the VIA feature in QMK is enabling both the ability to communicate with the VIA Configurator and the ability to store keymaps and other settings.

It's simpler and faster than using the QMK Online Configurator. You don't even need to scroll through a long rear end list of firmwares, it autodetects the keyboard for you. Just start programming keys and that's it!

Nondescript Van posted:

I'm a big fan of the v2 zilents. With a heavy board and pbt caps it's like typing on a nice afternoon rainstorm.

Box royals are also very tactile and I like a lot those as well but they are much louder of course.
I've been considering getting some box royals for my Durgod K310 but held off and got the Hako Royal Trues for it instead.
The original plan was for that one to be my office board but after testing on my GMMK they're louder than I expected (but feel so good) so I'm on the fence.

As of right now I'm still using my Durgod K320 with sound deadening and Hako Trues and it's tolerable for everyone but I CANNOT type during a Skype meeting because of where my boss sits in relation to me so I definitely can't get away with the Royal Trues.

The Zilents seem like a good compromise and at least a step in the right direction. Ultimately I'll swap those onto the Keychron K8 I've ordered (or the Durgod Fusion that drops next week) and use that at the office since the ultimate goal is to have a very clean desk without wires going everywhere.

I have a question for the thread; are there backing plate spacers available for the KBDfans Brass plate?
I bought the DZ60+Tofu+Brass Plate kit not realizing that you'd have to remove the top plate to swap switches. I for some reason thought the top plate and PCB screwed in separately. Derp.
I can live with pulling the PCB and plate to swap switches, but I really want something to help space the plate out from the pcb and add some extra stability since my switches don't have stabilizer pins (5 pins) and I type like a masturbating gorilla.
The sound deadening material mod I did to my K320 is not going to work well here. I'm thinking something like strips of HDPE plastic I can stick on the back of the brass plate.

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Exactly this. You don't need to go into bootloader (DFU) mode in order to change keys. You can just do it on the fly.

It's simpler and faster than using the QMK Online Configurator. You don't even need to scroll through a long rear end list of firmwares, it autodetects the keyboard for you. Just start programming keys and that's it!

I've been considering getting some box royals for my Durgod K310 but held off and got the Hako Royal Trues for it instead.
The original plan was for that one to be my office board but after testing on my GMMK they're louder than I expected (but feel so good) so I'm on the fence.

As of right now I'm still using my Durgod K320 with sound deadening and Hako Trues and it's tolerable for everyone but I CANNOT type during a Skype meeting because of where my boss sits in relation to me so I definitely can't get away with the Royal Trues.

The Zilents seem like a good compromise and at least a step in the right direction. Ultimately I'll swap those onto the Keychron K8 I've ordered (or the Durgod Fusion that drops next week) and use that at the office since the ultimate goal is to have a very clean desk without wires going everywhere.

I have a question for the thread; are there backing plate spacers available for the KBDfans Brass plate?
I bought the DZ60+Tofu+Brass Plate kit not realizing that you'd have to remove the top plate to swap switches. I for some reason thought the top plate and PCB screwed in separately. Derp.
I can live with pulling the PCB and plate to swap switches, but I really want something to help space the plate out from the pcb and add some extra stability since my switches don't have stabilizer pins (5 pins) and I type like a masturbating gorilla.
The sound deadening material mod I did to my K320 is not going to work well here. I'm thinking something like strips of HDPE plastic I can stick on the back of the brass plate.

Did that kit you got come with the case foam?

https://kbdfans.com/products/dz60-case-foam

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

.Z. posted:

Did that kit you got come with the case foam?

https://kbdfans.com/products/dz60-case-foam

No but that's pretty rad.
I mean I want something to go between the PCB and plate, not under the PCB.

Looking at it now there might not be enough room between the switches to actually stick something on there. Even just a few spacers around the spacebar, edges and between each row would be nice.
Who knows, maybe I won't even need it. The switches will probably do a good enough job at spacing out the plate from PCB?

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

No but that's pretty rad.
I mean I want something to go between the PCB and plate, not under the PCB.

Looking at it now there might not be enough room between the switches to actually stick something on there. Even just a few spacers around the spacebar, edges and between each row would be nice.
Who knows, maybe I won't even need it. The switches will probably do a good enough job at spacing out the plate from PCB?

Ah, for that you might have better luck with something like this: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B019GBKKPS
or an automotive sound deadener like this: https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B07ZKPVHCB

feedback loop
Feb 16, 2015

The Electronaut posted:

Yea Zeal did a v2 for the Zealios and the Zilents like a year or so ago? I have a some what similar sentiment about the v2 Zilents but never experienced the v1. They have an aggressive profile. I do like how they are quieter. I don’t know what else is out there tactile plus “silent”.

There are a couple of Outemu silent tactile models which are half as expensive, usually called U4 and Silent Sky. I recently got the U4 model and although I don't have them on a board yet, the typing test videos sound pretty amazing.

Kailh also released a silent version of the Box Brown recently, which aren't as quiet as I had hoped for.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

.Z. posted:

Ah, for that you might have better luck with something like this: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B019GBKKPS
or an automotive sound deadener like this: https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B07ZKPVHCB
Sorbothane might help but it's a bitch to work with and I'm not sure I'll be able to cut it that small.

I have the sound deadening mat and used it on another keyboard with great success. But that one has the top plate screwed to the case separately so it's already well supported.
I do not think it would be a good application for this because that stuff is soft and squishy and full of TAR. If the plate has any give to it, it will squish the tar out of the mat and stick to the surrounding switches.

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:
:stroop: :gaysper: :stroop:
:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:

So, uh, how do y'all keep your keycaps that aren't currently on a keyboard organized?

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

Stroop There It Is posted:

So, uh, how do y'all keep your keycaps that aren't currently on a keyboard organized?

In ziploc bags. My priority is to have them take up as little space as possible vs. keeping them nicely laid out for when I want to use them. I'll deal with having to sort them out when I need them.

edit: Clarifying I mean 1 bag per set.

.Z. fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Jul 10, 2020

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

Ziplock bags or the little tubs from ikea

https://www.ikea.com/gb/en/p/glis-box-with-lid-transparent-40466148/

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Depends. If it's the leftover keys from a build that I am using, I have a nice little decorative box I keep on my desk that I dump them into.
I also have a separate matching decorative box that Artisan keycaps go in. Both are velvet lined.

Everything else gets dumped directly into my LEGO bin never to be seen again.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.
I mount my artisans on a switch tester.

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.

Different zip locks based on row if they're blank

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Ziplock bags, bundled in a larger ziplock bag if I have seperate kits (ergo, novelty, alphas, etc) from the same set.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Right now I have a huge shameful box of extra key caps, switches, stabilizers and what not sitting in the top shelf of my closet :(