Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

britishbornandbread posted:

They’re all pretty much gone sadly. The Braveheart and the Pulp Fiction ones were amazing.

I think I remember one of you as the gimp and I think another where you were that dude with the hand cannon blasting away. It all feels like centuries ago. I did use your old pic to take the piss on Fark like 15 years ago. Didn't you also admit to mocking Americans over counterstrike on 9/11? "Terrorists win." Good times. Nice seeing you are still around. So glad I didn't post pre-adolescent pictures of myself when I first joined the forums. Or pictures of a hot mom (thank you Microwave for your service).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Descend to slumber
May 12, 2001

Congratulations fellow old-schooler!

I remember loving the BBaB photoshops they were so numerous and bizarre but that level of weird fuckery was 100% the thing that enticed me to make a forums account way back when.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
congratulations on your special day!

britishbornandbread
Jul 8, 2000

You'll stumble in my footsteps

DogsInSpace! posted:

I think I remember one of you as the gimp and I think another where you were that dude with the hand cannon blasting away. It all feels like centuries ago. I did use your old pic to take the piss on Fark like 15 years ago. Didn't you also admit to mocking Americans over counterstrike on 9/11? "Terrorists win." Good times. Nice seeing you are still around. So glad I didn't post pre-adolescent pictures of myself when I first joined the forums. Or pictures of a hot mom (thank you Microwave for your service).

Happy to admit when I’ve made stupid, terrible forum decisions in the last twenty years, but I’ve never played Counterstrike so no 9/11 skeletons in my closet. I downloaded tribute.avi like most 2001/02 goons, though.

Micromancer
Apr 17, 2002

He went out to the store
and when he got back
Roll-marks said .22 Short, jack.
If anything I could say that
this gun was rare
Its covered it sweat,
toilet water, and hair
:regd04: still exists. Holy poo poo was that a bad year for new accounts. I miss Fistgrrl and Ozma era of the forums. Mostly. A lot of the cultural revolution that has taken place since is good. I did get old as hell though. Somehow the lack of being able to be crass and abusive to people to be funny doesn't feel like it's actually worth lamenting. BBNB you were a staple of image edits and it's super cool you are still kicking around.

P-p-p-Powerbook was an amazing thread. So was Mr. Water. The Bigpeeler Saga. Notable posters for me back then were like Albrot, Dojokm, loving Liface with his wiki-signature, Pipebomb and Interrobang. I was a fan of Martin Random shitposts, my favorite thread being the one about working in Washington, DC.

The forums have evolved a lot over the last 20 years. I don't know if the future of the forums can ever live up to the nostalgia of the past but I'm proud to have been able to be a part of it for so long.

See ya at the juicer!

PS: For the younger crowd that wants to learn the ancient ways or to kind of understand the mindset we were in back then, click SAclopedia and just go on a random article dive. So many great memories archived in there.

britishbornandbread
Jul 8, 2000

The SAclopedia is getting a bad rep in QCS because many of the entries are bare/placeholders, and there’s a lot of choice language. Terms that we don’t really use or want to use on the forums any more. The fact I’m in it twice shows how disorganised it is!

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

my dad bought my account for my birthday when I started high school.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
I am so sorry

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Cowman posted:

that's pretty hosed up

britishbornandbread
Jul 8, 2000

lol at that conversation

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

weve all matured over twenty years,

Speak for yourself

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread
The pyf saga thread (go back 3 to 5 years) is a good place to see good old content if you have archives. Just click links that sound intriguing. That's what I did for 2 years and thought it was lurking. (Nope.)

Moo the cow
Apr 30, 2020

I still think of Ask/Tell as 'the new subforum '

Hairy Right Hook
Sep 9, 2001

Hee to the ho

zer0spunk posted:

if you consider people in their 30s boomers

not surprised goons are horrible at math

Speak for yourself, my daddy bought me this account the day I was borned

resting bort face
Jun 2, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
this thread made me realize I missed my 20th anniversary

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

LabyaMynora posted:

I went 18 years without a probe, and then Burt loving Sexual popped my cherry over some bullshit and once you get that first probe, mods'll probe you for whatever.
Ha, same, he came in the Schadenfreude thread and said some topic people were talking about was boring, which we were apparently supposed to understand as a mod order to stop talking about it, then came back like an hour later and probed everyone who had posted since.

Now I have no streak to maintain so I can post whatever I want and drat the repercussions!

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Butts.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Jawdins posted:

Speak for yourself, my daddy bought me this account the day I was borned

He couldnt have waited two days?

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

drat I didn't know there were still so many 00s and 01s around still

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

zer0spunk posted:

if you consider people in their 30s boomers

not surprised goons are horrible at math

shut up boomer

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Qapla' to a true warrior! :patriot:

If we all didn't have to re-register when the forums changed code in '00, my account would go back to '99 :/

Also, I hadn't even articulated the thought, 'I've been on the forums for over two decades'. Fuuuuck. My presence here is old enough to buy alcohol in the U.S.

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

As a wide eyed thirteen year old boy, I bit the bullet whilst staying with my brother over the summer to finally register my account on the SomethingAwful.com forums. My first post was a thread proclaiming how much better the UK is than the US (Christ...), with most replies consisting of insults and counter-facts. Typical of General Bullshit at the time. It was the start of twenty years posting on these awful, wonderful forums.

Sometime in 2001, I foolishly posted my school picture, accidentally resulting in my adolescent chops becoming a proto-meme on the forums. Pretty much every Photoshop thread for a year or two would have at least one effort containing my face. My dad LOVED it, with me printing out the best ones for him to look at and have a good laugh. The pinnacle was probably some random Dallas goon meet, where a goon went to use the bathroom to find a cut out of my face left on the toilet seat. Being told that was definitely weird.

Another peak was the use of the image for the Un Lapin flash animation. I got in touch with the guy who made it, enquiring as to where he got my school photo from, to be told he found it randomly searching around the internet. 2004 was a weird time.

I've seen far too many people come and go, users who were favourites before falling from grace and being banned, admins break the forums, countless off-sites build up and then become idle. Users like Jeddite, jre, Al, Rainbow Blight, Icequeen, Euronymous, artfag et al. I've seen two goons get engaged upon meeting for the first time. I've seen a goon sell a fake Mac p-p-p-powerbook to a scammer and the thread burst as it went live. I've seen the site's found and webmaster banished, rightfully, for heinous crimes against women.

I'm quite proud of only eating two probations, one of which was for not standing up for myself in FYAD. No bans, no toxxes. How very beige.

I do love these forums, and spend most of my time wasting my life in D&D, C-Spam, PYF and the football/soccer and wrestling forums. I was worried we would lose them recently and though it would have been impossible to argue against it, it would have been sad to lose so much time, effort and history to one person's horribleness. I hope we can all move on to a brave new era.

These forums have DEFINITELY changed. The community element remains but has altered. I remember in the early days there were more forum 'superstars', for better or for worse. Now, there are well known names, but threads are more isolated, it's less of a chat room and more of a forum. The whitewashing of our past in terms of cancelled words and terminology makes sense, and weve all matured over twenty years, yet you can't help these forums may not be as spontaneous as they were in those days. You can never go back home again, I suppose.

Thanks for reading my rant, and ask me anything about the past twenty years!

shut the gently caress up

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

5er posted:

If we all didn't have to re-register when the forums changed code in '00, my account would go back to '99 :/

:same:

I found Somethingawful via Lowtax's electronic music site, Arc Central.

I just wanted to ddownload some drum loops.

(In hindsight they were likely stock drum loops from whatever lovely Yamaha ROMpler Lowtax used at the time.)

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Micromancer posted:

PS: For the younger crowd that wants to learn the ancient ways or to kind of understand the mindset we were in back then, click SAclopedia and just go on a random article dive. So many great memories archived in there.

I think the oldest thing I can remember circa the first version of the forums, were the trolls Gravedigger and Salem.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Forgot to mention that in the summer of 2005 I attended Euro GoonCon. It was a nice weekend in Amsterdam aged eighteen. Luckily I have the ability to just talk to anyone about anything and not shy away from strangers, but there were some lost looking souls at the BBQ in the park that evening.

I went to a goon meet party in Portland OR in 2002 or 3, and there were two things I remember about it.

The first was that we renamed the cat that lived with the goon who was hosting the party "Soulfucker," because anyone that tried to pet the cat would get clawed rather significantly.

The second, was that Pele was there. This was before all the infamous drama. At the point everyone was good and drunk, she made passes at quite a few of the goons there, me included. The goons I made friends with at that party (one is still someone I talk to, to this very day) told me the following day she eventually porked one of party attendants, because more than one person walked in on them going at it. It wasn't oddjob, that was later.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

gently caress SNEEP posted:

Probate op for 20 years to think about the choices he's made in his life imo

forums are literally too lovely. can't probate someone past 2038. forum also stops working then lol.

congrats op your stay is over halfway done!

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018

Inept posted:

forums are literally too lovely. can't probate someone past 2038. forum also stops working then lol.

congrats op your stay is over halfway done!

I will try I will break the computer

Bronze Fonz
Feb 14, 2019

I just travelled to 2038 and loving hell Inept is right! Just blank pages all over.

SimpleCoax
Aug 7, 2003

TV is the thing this year.
Hair Elf
The only mod I remember is OMGWTFBBQ. I went to Gooncon 2004 and still have the shirt. Ok later.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

I never went to a goon meet. I could've gone to the one at Oakland Gyros in Milwaukee, but I didn't 'cuz I'm too goony to even go to goon meets.

I was literally within walking distance.

Genesplicer
Oct 19, 2002

I give your invention the worst grade imaginable: An A-minus-minus!

Total Clam

Cerebral Mayhem posted:

Hey, I remember you, congrats man. As a long time lurker and occasional poster, this place has been my one-stop shopping for content, there's no other place like it.

You registered on the day my cat, Jameson, was born. She is still alive and kicking, albeit slightly scruffy.

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum
Wow, BBaB is still around, cool

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

Forgot to mention that in the summer of 2005 I attended Euro GoonCon. It was a nice weekend in Amsterdam aged eighteen. Luckily I have the ability to just talk to anyone about anything and not shy away from strangers, but there were some lost looking souls at the BBQ in the park that evening.

Reported for registering an account under the age of 18.

Cowman posted:

What's his user name?

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

Thank you for your service/sacrifice

flubber nuts
Oct 5, 2005

you're about as old as my friend who used to post lol I wish I had friends

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
gingers have no souls

JK Fresco
Jul 5, 2019
Inlost my original account but what up OP 2001 regdates represent

BrownieVK
Nov 10, 2009

Eat my ass
lol u nerd

britishbornandbread
Jul 8, 2000

BIG TIT LIL NIP posted:

you're about as old as my friend who used to post lol I wish I had friends

I love your username. Always makes me smile when I see it. I will be your posting friend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
no big deal OP. my original account is from 1994.

also im bbab as gently caress too