Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...
Finished up some poxwalkers the other day:

Hazmat dude is my favorite - I want a box of poxwalkers all in ripped up hazmat suits.

They're mostly contrast, with some traditional steps just to make my life difficult. (Like the skin is a glaze of VMC pink & matte medium, then a drybrush of VMC light yellow, *then* contrast Guilliman Flesh. It seems to do the trick, though.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Does anyone know where I can get a figure that looks like Avatar from Wizards? Google isn't helping me.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

This is the best I can think of. If you like converting you could cut of the brim off his hat and replace the staff with a gun.

https://www.stonehavenmini.com/collections/gnomes/products/sh0119

This one kinda sorta works.

https://www.darkswordminiatures.com/shop/index.php/barty-the-magnificent-halfling-wizard.html

The main problem is that they inevitably have staffs which iirc Avatar doesn't.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

So I painted up some "Iron Skeeters" from Malifaux. As an aside, if anyone ever recommends you build these models you have my permission to punch them straight in their face, as that person is not your friend. These were a massive pain in the arse to build. Tiny thin spindly pieces all over the place, miniscule contact points, build instructions that include lines disappearing behind the model to some undefined place on their back, and that do not give a clue as to order of operations. It would have been handy to know for example that on two of these guys its sensible to put the rider on first so you arent trying to glue him on with the fragile skeeter legs in place leaving you no good place to hold the model, but on the third if you put the rider on before the legs then the legs dont fit on properly. One of them has ended up with a bodged together replacement grapple as the grappling hook fell off the end of its pole at some point between being glued together and making it to the painting table. Annoying but not surprising as the contact point was the end of a literally 1mm thick pole. Then when it came to basing they were supplied with flight stands which look quite nice, but there isnt a flat place anywhere on the underside of any of the models that the flight stand can make a flush fit with. I honestly cannot imagine anyone safely transporting these things to a game without something snapping. I'm barely confident moving them from one side of a room to the other.

tldr: They are nice models now they are done, but I never ever want to deal with them again, ever. Probably the fussiest models I've put together since I got back into painting.

Anyway.

And the group shot:

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013

Lord Ludikrous posted:

Apologies for the large amount of photos, but I’ve been busy over the last few months and haven’t posted in this thread before.

This all looks great. What did you highlight the metal with? I've been sticking with gold and using liberator gold, but I like the silver and how it pops. Might use it on my scrab occult and everything else going forward.

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.
Yeah I am loving those TSons. What's the blue? Seems like contrast maybe...is it Talasar?

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?
hero quest bookcase

(i didn't paint the books, that's a cardboard cutout)

i love the hero quest rats for some reason

DrDraxium
Dec 2, 2002

Plz state the nature of the medical emergency
Hey y'all. What are the mini painting goons doing for airbrush cleaning / maintenance?

I've watched quite a few youtube videos and read lots of discussion but there doesn't seem to be a clear cut answer.

I've seen some people disconnect all pieces apart from the bucket/main body and leave it soaking in a 3/4 distilled water 1/4 iwata airbrush cleaner solution whenever it's not in use.

Then I've seen people just shooting airbrush cleaner through inbetween colours / at the end of sessions.

There are other methods which don't come to mind right now, but any advice would be appreciated.

DrDraxium
Dec 2, 2002

Giant Ethicist posted:

Finished up some poxwalkers the other day:

Hazmat dude is my favorite - I want a box of poxwalkers all in ripped up hazmat suits.

They're mostly contrast, with some traditional steps just to make my life difficult. (Like the skin is a glaze of VMC pink & matte medium, then a drybrush of VMC light yellow, *then* contrast Guilliman Flesh. It seems to do the trick, though.)

Am loving any and all death guard you put out, great job.

And yeah hazmat poxwalker is also my fave from the range, I have him huffing on a fire extinguisher just because I thought it'd look funny. Plus the irony of being infected with one of the most deadly plagues in the universe whilst simultaneously wearing a hazmat suit is delicious.

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

DrDraxium posted:

Then I've seen people just shooting airbrush cleaner through inbetween colours / at the end of sessions.

This is exactly what I do unless i get a clog. Every once in a while I'll take it all apart and give it a soak and a deep clean too.

Gameko
Feb 23, 2006

The friend of all children!

Hixson posted:

This is exactly what I do unless i get a clog. Every once in a while I'll take it all apart and give it a soak and a deep clean too.

Yeah, just spray it clean and wipe out the bowl with a paper towel. Disassemble it and clean thoroughly when you feel like it or there’s a performance issue.

Get yourself some oil or lubricant. I use a badger brand airbrush oil, but 3 in one oil or mineral oil is probably fine. Generally I do a breakdown clean and oil the needle/moving parts when the action starts to stick.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

DrDraxium posted:

Hey y'all. What are the mini painting goons doing for airbrush cleaning / maintenance?

I've watched quite a few youtube videos and read lots of discussion but there doesn't seem to be a clear cut answer.

I've seen some people disconnect all pieces apart from the bucket/main body and leave it soaking in a 3/4 distilled water 1/4 iwata airbrush cleaner solution whenever it's not in use.

There are other methods which don't come to mind right now, but any advice would be appreciated.

This video is the gold standard.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yEIJs1c4bsQ

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Nebalebadingdong posted:

hero quest bookcase

I absolutely love your style, it's very painterly, for lack of a better word.

I assume you also paint on canvas?

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Werix posted:

This all looks great. What did you highlight the metal with? I've been sticking with gold and using liberator gold, but I like the silver and how it pops. Might use it on my scrab occult and everything else going forward.

Thanks. The highlight is done with Stormhost Silver. So it’s Retributor Armour Gold for the base, Reikland Fleshshade for shading and Stormhost Silver for the highlights.

Mikey Purp posted:

Yeah I am loving those TSons. What's the blue? Seems like contrast maybe...is it Talasar?

It is yeah. Contrast Talassar Blue with Nuln Oil shading and highlights with Lothern Blue. I know technically you shouldn’t need highlights using contrast but I find the blue doesn’t pop enough with it. I should mention it took 2 coats of Talassar to get the right colour, a single coat is just too light.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

KozmoNaut posted:

I absolutely love your style, it's very painterly, for lack of a better word.

I assume you also paint on canvas?

I'm probably not using it this term right but the painting style seems very impressionist and I love it. Adds a very whimsical feel

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013

Lord Ludikrous posted:

Thanks. The highlight is done with Stormhost Silver. So it’s Retributor Armour Gold for the base, Reikland Fleshshade for shading and Stormhost Silver for the highlights.

It is yeah. Contrast Talassar Blue with Nuln Oil shading and highlights with Lothern Blue. I know technically you shouldn’t need highlights using contrast but I find the blue doesn’t pop enough with it. I should mention it took 2 coats of Talassar to get the right colour, a single coat is just too light.

Okay cool. On my rubrics I was doing retributor for the base, red shade from AP, then highlight in liberator gold. For my scrab occult I've been trying base in balthazar gold, wash red, dry brush on retributor armor, and highlight in liberator, so I might go with a silver highlight. All I have is necron compound and AP plate mail, though I hope to stop by my FLGS this weekend since the first time since COVID came along to stock up and grab storm host if they have it.

I used aethermatic blue on my Tzaangors and liked it so much I plan to use that for the flesh on my daemon prince and hellbrute once I get there. I was afraid of it being too much blue, but your prince has convinced me it won't be.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Werix posted:

Okay cool. On my rubrics I was doing retributor for the base, red shade from AP, then highlight in liberator gold. For my scrab occult I've been trying base in balthazar gold, wash red, dry brush on retributor armor, and highlight in liberator, so I might go with a silver highlight. All I have is necron compound and AP plate mail, though I hope to stop by my FLGS this weekend since the first time since COVID came along to stock up and grab storm host if they have it.

I used aethermatic blue on my Tzaangors and liked it so much I plan to use that for the flesh on my daemon prince and hellbrute once I get there. I was afraid of it being too much blue, but your prince has convinced me it won't be.

I actually tried Aethermatic Blue out first and I don’t know if I was doing anything wrong but it came out horrendous. I ended up using Contrast Terradon Turquoise instead for the Tzaangors.

My Daemon Prince is a bit different. The armour is the same as the Rubrics/vehicles. His flesh is Contrast Apothecary White, covered with a couple of very watered down layers of Lothern Blue and shaded with Nuln Oil. The wing membrane is Contrast Apothecary White layered with Sotek Green and shaded with Nuln Oil.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Been painting the Combat Arena minis, 2 done, 1 about 50% there and 2 to go. Can't seem to find a good hashtag on IG to search, anyone have suggestions for basing schemes (beyond just googling :))?

Album Link

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

DrDraxium posted:

In addition to the excellent VV from upthread, here's the monomaniacal hobby grandpa version for more details:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ulWFoG5Inmw

Disassembling the whole thing for a deep clean is kind of nuts if you don't have a clog. You can potentially over-scrub your parts if you're using a really abrasive cleaning brush, plus every time you take things apart you run the risk of losing parts.

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013

Lord Ludikrous posted:

I actually tried Aethermatic Blue out first and I don’t know if I was doing anything wrong but it came out horrendous. I ended up using Contrast Terradon Turquoise instead for the Tzaangors.

My Daemon Prince is a bit different. The armour is the same as the Rubrics/vehicles. His flesh is Contrast Apothecary White, covered with a couple of very watered down layers of Lothern Blue and shaded with Nuln Oil. The wing membrane is Contrast Apothecary White layered with Sotek Green and shaded with Nuln Oil.

Yeah I like how the aethermatic turned out. One coat over krylon grey primer.

I was thinking of doing magos purple contrast on my wing membranes, but I know I'll need at least two layers as that one is super thin. I did the same thing on a wing for a mini I painted for a contest.

Tiocfaidh Yar Ma
Dec 5, 2012

Surprising Adventures!

Just to emphasise this, I had more or less shelved the airbrush I bought out of frustration for it clogging and seeming too labour intensive to change colours etc before I watched this video. Think it was linked from this thread.

It's excellent not just for cleaning advice but also how much to thin your paints

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

The Moon Monster posted:

This is the best I can think of. If you like converting you could cut of the brim off his hat and replace the staff with a gun.

https://www.stonehavenmini.com/collections/gnomes/products/sh0119

This one kinda sorta works.

https://www.darkswordminiatures.com/shop/index.php/barty-the-magnificent-halfling-wizard.html

The main problem is that they inevitably have staffs which iirc Avatar doesn't.
Thanks for the suggestions! I guess I'll have to kitbash and sculpt something. I'd almost certainly have to do that anyway, since I really want him to have a pistol.

Chewbacca
Jan 30, 2003

Thugged out since cub scouts

tangy yet delightful posted:

Been painting the Combat Arena minis, 2 done, 1 about 50% there and 2 to go. Can't seem to find a good hashtag on IG to search, anyone have suggestions for basing schemes (beyond just googling :))?

Seeing as how these are repurposed mini's from Blackstone Fortress, I'd recommend Blackstone Fortress style, which is both striking and easy to paint:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nzVhZLQ8Z8w

Those look great by the way

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Chewbacca posted:

Seeing as how these are repurposed mini's from Blackstone Fortress, I'd recommend Blackstone Fortress style, which is both striking and easy to paint:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nzVhZLQ8Z8w

Those look great by the way

Oh I really like that and now I have a better search term for the others I'm gonna paint (although really I'm just aiming for how the cards have them painted up without buying any new paint). I'll need to pick up a file (set) to do the base smoothing.

And thanks!

Dreadwroth2
Feb 28, 2019

by Cyrano4747

Nebalebadingdong posted:

hero quest bookcase

I think the Heroquest rats are based on the ones Jes Goodwin designed for the old WHFB Skaven line, he always did the faces in that style.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
Finished up another 5 albino weirdos for my gang, so now the gang is complete :getin:

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

Mr. Helsbecter will you please stop shooting I am on the phone

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1...bKzMxw/viewform

Cross-posting from the Infinity thread.

We had an informal painting contest in our local Infinity group to commemorate the quarantine and it's time to judge. Click the link and rate some paintjobs!
When we're back together in person we're all going out to dinner. Winner gets their bill paid and loser covers gratuity for the group.

DrDraxium
Dec 2, 2002

I thought for some reason I'd seen this Vince vid, but I hadn't, and it really was incredibly helpful. Vince is no nonsense but is also capable of having a personality and bringing some flavour to each of his videos, which is a tough line to toe, especially considering the quality differential of youtube instructional videos.

Thanks y'all for the advice!

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Under 15 posted:

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1...bKzMxw/viewform

Cross-posting from the Infinity thread.

We had an informal painting contest in our local Infinity group to commemorate the quarantine and it's time to judge. Click the link and rate some paintjobs!
When we're back together in person we're all going out to dinner. Winner gets their bill paid and loser covers gratuity for the group.

Says the file doesn't exist?

edit:

Yeast posted:

Finished up another 5 albino weirdos for my gang, so now the gang is complete :getin:

the gradient/transitioning on the colors is so loving good gently caress

tangy yet delightful fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Jul 9, 2020

Thanqol
Feb 15, 2012

because our character has the 'poet' trait, this update shall be told in the format of a rap battle.

Yeast posted:

This is amazing.

What's the black reflective glass thing you're using as the base in your lightbox?

TURGID TOMFOOLERY
Nov 1, 2019

I;m Thinking About Thos nebalebadingdong rats and goblins.

Do you have a link to resources on how to achieve such darling aesthetics?

I saw the one video about weapons.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Yeah, I would love to be able to paint like that, too.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

Thanqol posted:

This is amazing.

What's the black reflective glass thing you're using as the base in your lightbox?

Thanks mate.

I'll preface by saying I'm Australian, so the terminology might be different in the States, but I use this stuff:

https://www.bunnings.com.au/suntuf-900-x-600-x-3mm-black-flat-acrylic-sheet_p1010492

I'm a food photographer by trade, so I normally have a sheet or two of the stuff for the rare occasion I need it.

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

TURGID TOMFOOLERY posted:

I;m Thinking About Thos nebalebadingdong rats and goblins.

Do you have a link to resources on how to achieve such darling aesthetics?

I saw the one video about weapons.

look up kevin dallimore

it's just old school model painting with layers

- don't use washes
- don't wet blend
- mix the colors on your palette to produce subtler (but still visible) steps between each layer.
- you get diminishing returns on the number of layers, but you need at least 3

everyone's focus these days seems to be on having ultra smooth blends. it's impressive but not how i want to paint

here's some pirates painted by kevin dallimore:

this is what i aspire to. you can really see the layers and the black lines from the base coat poking through between color areas

Nebalebadingdong fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Jul 9, 2020

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Yeast posted:

drat those are pretty, are those robes brush-blended / glazed or is that yet another reason to tempt me into buying an airbrush?

edit: also as someone who is basically trying to emulate this setup for my mini photography, what is the secret to not making every single slightly misplaced brushstroke look like I was painting minis with my fingers? Shooting at a shallow DoF just doesn't look right and focal length doesn't seem to make much difference. Are you shooting with a macro lens?

Grizzled Patriarch fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Jul 9, 2020

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?
done with goblins for a little while

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

Mr. Helsbecter will you please stop shooting I am on the phone

tangy yet delightful posted:

Says the file doesn't exist?

edit:

the gradient/transitioning on the colors is so loving good gently caress

Whoa there, didn't notice the url got shortened.

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLScd6r5JzaJ_rzWVeaBsaJSQxfOOH-u4eranwMjkvJYhbKzMxw/viewform

Try that one out. Thanks!

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Nebalebadingdong posted:

done with goblins for a little while

These are so good

Thanqol
Feb 15, 2012

because our character has the 'poet' trait, this update shall be told in the format of a rap battle.

Yeast posted:

Thanks mate.

I'll preface by saying I'm Australian, so the terminology might be different in the States, but I use this stuff:

https://www.bunnings.com.au/suntuf-900-x-600-x-3mm-black-flat-acrylic-sheet_p1010492

I'm a food photographer by trade, so I normally have a sheet or two of the stuff for the rare occasion I need it.

Perfect - I'm Australian too so that makes it really easy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
I painted up a broadside, went a lot faster than the riptide so it felt really good