Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"

punk rebel ecks posted:

Jesus gently caress it's worse than I could have imagined! His whole family is traumatized of him, dog included.

For the sake of his marriage, his kids, and his dog (named Optimus Prime, that's the main reason I remember the dude to this day), I hope he Never Got Ready for the Next Battle ever again.

poo poo is not that serious

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
Is he not even pro-gaming/streaming?

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Tubgoat posted:

Hey thread! Is Nidhogg II a fighting game?
Yes, but it's art style is a downgrade from the first one.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
Nidhogg II is like the only game I can think of that killed itself solely due to it's (terrible) art style change. It's like they had the game in development with the worst graphics ever to ensure the game is fun no matter how fowl it is to look at, and the test style grew on them.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
i thought that was the guy on resetera who considered quitting his job / various forms of self harm for his inability to git gud at tekken, but that was a different person

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Phoenix RISING posted:

Then I picked up my kids from school. They could tell I was in a bad mood and they asked me what was wrong. "I lost at Tekken" is the life lesson they received.

I ended up getting in a car accident in the evening, but I don't even consider it the worse thing that happened that day. I when I finally arrived (late) to the meeting I was headed to before the accident, I literally told them that I was more mad at Tekken than the vehicle damage.

:roflolmao:

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

What's weird is I generally don't get mad when people beat me ("generally" being the key word there)

When I lose to the CPU, though, I get Big Mad for some dumb reason

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I like Nidhogg 2's art style tbh, it reminds me a lot of 90s shareware games

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

FrostyPox posted:

What's weird is I generally don't get mad when people beat me ("generally" being the key word there)

if I had to guess it's probably because there's no stakes when you're fighting a real person, but in situations where you have to fight the CPU to progress or unlock something it gets annoying because you're being kept away from something you want

that's how it is for me at least

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

CharlestonJew posted:

if I had to guess it's probably because there's no stakes when you're fighting a real person, but in situations where you have to fight the CPU to progress or unlock something it gets annoying because you're being kept away from something you want

that's how it is for me at least

That's probably the reason tbh, a lot of the time it's when I'm trying to unlock a character ending

Unrelated note, people who speak Japanese and are familiar with Kansai-ben, what does "-de yansu" actually mean? Choi in KoF puts it at the end of all of his phrases and all I can find on google is "It's Kansai slang" (ironically I spent a couple of months in the Kansai region, but the only slang I picked up was "mecha" (soft "ch") for "very")

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

FrostyPox posted:

The weirdest thing for me is that I never get salty when I'm playing in person, regardless of how bodied I get.

Online though, man sometimes it leaves me salty. Never like, actively angry or anything but geesh. I think it's cause you don't see the person on the other end maybe? Or maybe cause so many games have kinda trash online play? I've never been able to put my finger on why

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Nidhogg 1 and 2 are both so good, but yeah, they changed the art so drastically in 2 and it felt like 90% of people went "The gently caress, no."

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?
it's because the AI in fighting games only has two states: losing to you doing sweep 100 times in a row, and TAS. sometimes it switches between both in the same round

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Brought To You By posted:

Yes, but it's art style is a downgrade from the first one.

punk rebel ecks posted:

(terrible) art style change.
Hard disagree.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
I prefer the atari pixel style of the first game, but to say the disgusting filth muppets of the second game is a downgrade is straight up wrong.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
The grotesque art style was mildly alarming to see in screenshots at first but having actually played it, it's still smooth as butter and fun as gently caress.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.
My big problem with Niddhogg II was the rotating weapon system. I wasn't a fan of the art style, but I hated not being able to choose my weapon

Look Sharp!
Mar 24, 2013

FrostyPox posted:

Unrelated note, people who speak Japanese and are familiar with Kansai-ben, what does "-de yansu" actually mean? Choi in KoF puts it at the end of all of his phrases and all I can find on google is "It's Kansai slang" (ironically I spent a couple of months in the Kansai region, but the only slang I picked up was "mecha" (soft "ch") for "very")

It's the same in application as "gozaimasu", but really it's just grammar that doesn't have any particular meaning in its own. It's not really from any specific dialect either, but google tells me it's phrasing used from the Edo period. "~ya" or "~yan" would be Kansai-ben.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Shinji2015 posted:

My big problem with Niddhogg II was the rotating weapon system. I wasn't a fan of the art style, but I hated not being able to choose my weapon

You can change all that in the options.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

The biggest problem was just that Nidhogg went from this super clean and direct minimal art style that got praised a lot to the methhead simpsons from game 1 to game 2, which wasn't the best.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

I'm never getting mad at fighting games ever again because of that Tekken post.

I also am never playing Tekken ever again because T6 on PSP pissed me off thanks to the AI difficulty spiking all of a sudden and the two times I played T7 it never clicked with me. It's just impossible for me to get into it.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

This has to be a good old loving gimmick account. Because this would have been the norm in the early 2000s.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007

mango sentinel posted:

You can change all that in the options.

Was that an option at launch, because I don't remember there being a choice at the time

Hobojim
Oct 31, 2011

There was an art festival in Toronto that I went to way back when that had an "exhibit" that was just an early Nidhogg build projected onto a gigantic wall of the Bell Lightbox theatre, and people would just swap in and out after dying. It was one of the most fun public video game things I've ever been to.

Nidhogg 2 is pretty good ya'll are crazy.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Every hate message I've ever received, win or lose, is a little trophy for me. Its a list of who I lived in the head of rent free.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

FrostyPox posted:

Well yes, the general art style of KoF is, IMO better than the art style of SF, and the SFV characters are especially grotesque, I just feel like in terms of, like... general design, if that makes sense, characters like Chin, Athena, Hien, and Choi (who also simultaneously looks like lawsuit bait for Wes Craven's estate), for example, just, on immediate first impression, seemed to me to be like someone snuck into Capcom's art studio, grabbed a bunch of drawings off of the "REJECTED" pile and tweaked 'em and ran with them

I like Chin and Choi, to boot (but I am very bad at them)

EDIT: I also understand that this impression is probably unfair, but it was literally my gut reaction to seeing them

EDIT EDIT: I would've said Ryo and Yuri but I learned they were deliberately designed to be SF homages

Athena is older than street fighter, she's from an arcade game called psycho soldier from 86

Chin is based off of the legendary hero Beggar So, the inventer of drunken boxing

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

darealkooky posted:

it's because the AI in fighting games only has two states: losing to you doing sweep 100 times in a row, and TAS. sometimes it switches between both in the same round

Back when dbfz first came out and I was doing story mode to unlock android 21 I discovered they forgot to give the cpu the ability to handle super dash and it's actually safer and more reliable to just mash super dash LLL than to try to deal with their jacked up stats

This works for every difficulty up to and including the final boss

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Since we're still talking about ragers, lemme share this chain of messages I got tonight:

quote:

Idk how tf u pulled that bullshit off

quote:

I really wanna rematch because that was such bullshit lol like u trash and really beat me. Hell on

quote:

No

My response:

quote:

i'm trash, definitely. yet, you lost to me.

hmmmmmm

lol ggs

They were a bad Liu Kang player

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015

Real hurthling! posted:

Dang really? I suck so bad and was hoping it would remain lovely online so i didnt have to confront the fact that im a carmine main who bleeds out to lose rounds.

The clip where it's mentioned.

https://clips.twitch.tv/PiliableHorribleTubersPupper

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
"we want to add rollback" is not the same as actively trying to add rollback. one way that can go is deciding it's cost/time prohibitive to do with their current game/engine.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Yeah so far all they've done is said they would like to do it, not that they're actually doing it.

If they do it it probably won't be patched in to UNIclr either but be part of the next game.

My Crab is Fight
Mar 13, 2007
My favourite fg hatemail was the guy who told me that "you brush your teeth with knobs" after I beat him in VF5 Final Showdown, then a week later sent me the same message despite not having matched him again since.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Hey all,

Report came in for the thread, and I apologise that it was late, and I've been asked to pop by.

Elephant Ambush posted:

Sorry global women. You will continue to be objectified and commodified in all media because Endorph and some other internet lesbians think objectification is hot and okay.

This post is half a hair short of earning you a sixer. I'm honestly inclined to just straight up give it out, but I would prefer that Goons just not be fuckwits with each other.

There were a couple of spicy hot takes around this post as well. I legit get that there's a lot of completely justified anger surrounding the fighting game community controversies atm, but please try to funnel it in the right direction and be more constructive with your posts.

If anyone else is being a turd ITT please hit the report button, or PM one of the Idiots Three and we'll drop by to sort it.

Dryzen
Jul 23, 2011

Infinitum posted:

Hey all,

Report came in for the thread, and I apologise that it was late, and I've been asked to pop by.

This post is half a hair short of earning you a sixer. I'm honestly inclined to just straight up give it out, but I would prefer that Goons just not be fuckwits with each other.

There were a couple of spicy hot takes around this post as well. I legit get that there's a lot of completely justified anger surrounding the fighting game community controversies atm, but please try to funnel it in the right direction and be more constructive with your posts.

If anyone else is being a turd ITT please hit the report button, or PM one of the Idiots Three and we'll drop by to sort it.

I'm sorry if you would rather have this pmed to you but I don't understand how something incredibly hostile and hosed as that, especially calling people "internet lesbians", is only half a hair short.

If all it takes to be on just the right side of arguments is to not just directly tell someone they're pretending to be gay for internet points then Jesus man

Mintergalactic
Dec 26, 2012

Infinitum posted:

Hey all,

probating endorph for posting a slur someone else said and then giving this post a slide definitely doesn't seem like you have a weird agenda dude very cool keep up the good work

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Dryzen posted:

I'm sorry if you would rather have this pmed to you but I don't understand how something incredibly hostile and hosed as that, especially calling people "internet lesbians", is only half a hair short.

If all it takes to be on just the right side of arguments is to not just directly tell someone they're pretending to be gay for internet points then Jesus man

Not that's fair, I've asked the mod team to take another look at it as well to ensure a warning was the right call.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Mintergalactic posted:

probating endorph for posting a slur someone else said and then giving this post a slide definitely doesn't seem like you have a weird agenda dude very cool keep up the good work

an actual gay person quoting someone else saying a homophobic slur in the context of condemning them for saying it: bad, probate

thinly-veiled homophobia: basically fine as long as you don't actually say slurs

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe

BurningCourage posted:

My favourite fg hatemail was the guy who told me that "you brush your teeth with knobs" after I beat him in VF5 Final Showdown, then a week later sent me the same message despite not having matched him again since.

This happened to me too. I beat a guy in DOA6 with a timeout and he sent me messages just reading "YOU'RE rear end" or "YOU'RE STILL rear end" on a weekly basis until I blocked him.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Extra Large Marge posted:

This happened to me too. I beat a guy in DOA6 with a timeout and he sent me messages just reading "YOU'RE rear end" or "YOU'RE STILL rear end" on a weekly basis until I blocked him.

you should have asked him how his day was going

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

cock hero flux posted:

an actual gay person quoting someone else saying a homophobic slur in the context of condemning them for saying it: bad, probate

thinly-veiled homophobia: basically fine as long as you don't actually say slurs