Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
i just want to sock enough money away that I'm working because i choose to and in reality i have enough money to leave forever and never do the facade of being employed again if I want

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
in summary paying more taxes doesn't actually make you feel better

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

i'm a canadian who makes a lot less than you, thanks for the free health care bud

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

I regret to inform both of u that the neoliberals are at it again

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Methanar posted:

dont talk to me about free health care either because even the most egregious health insurance premiums i've heard are small compared to the delta in taxes I pay vs someone in california

my late father in law's cancer cost well over one million freedom dollars to spend less than a month killing him

ofc he had quite good insurance

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

lmao like half my team has some sort of trip planned to hotspots in the next few weeks rip to them

freeasinbeer
Mar 26, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
I pay 100k a year in tax+healthcare+retirement, and my health care doesn’t even cover a drat thing until I spend at least $3k. after that they only cover 80%.

give me socialized healthcare any day of the week.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Methanar posted:

I pay >100k a year in income taxes easy. Canadian dollars though so its not real money I guess.

i don't feel as though I get any particular safety net lol. when I was unemployed for a month the government didn't give me poo poo lol despite paying the equivalent of 5 median income earners worth of taxes.

dont talk to me about free health care either because even the most egregious health insurance premiums i've heard are small compared to the delta in taxes I pay vs someone in california

:qq:

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

freeasinbeer posted:

I pay 100k a year in tax+healthcare+retirement, and my health care doesn’t even cover a drat thing until I spend at least $3k. after that they only cover 80%.

Retirement savings is not something that you pay.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

i have it so bad.... i have to pay more than the median income in retirement savings each year... :qq:

freeasinbeer
Mar 26, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

tk posted:

Retirement savings is not something that you pay.

401ks as a replacement for a robust socialized system of elder care and pensions as well as the tax implications of contributing or not contributing make it a wash mentally for me. I get that is an unorthodox view, but in my case I’d gladly give up preferential tax treatment for a wider social safety net.

I also view it as a tax in the sense that without contributing to my retirement plan in the US, I’m setting myself up to be somewhat destitute in my final years. in other places this wouldn’t be as major of a concern to me.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
yeah savings is not a cost... it's savings

i mean come the gently caress on

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Methanar posted:

I pay >100k a year in income taxes easy.

pretty cool how you still have double the national household income left over after that, isn't it?

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

not blowing all my money on payday is a tax, when you think about it

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Methanar posted:

in summary paying more taxes doesn't actually make you feel better

im the guy looking for self actualization through filing my taxes

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

fart simpson posted:

not blowing all my money on payday is a tax, when you think about it

all that beer isn't gonna throw itself up every weekend, which is basically a second unpaid job when you really think about it

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

im stuck spending 95% of my income on taxes+rent+savings

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
this budget my bitch wife made for us is a completely unreasonable governmental overreach in the same vein that caused the south to rise up against the oppressive north in their Second Revolutionary War

freeasinbeer
Mar 26, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
at best that “savings” we are gonna quibble about is $20k. I am only including retirement savings that are directly deducted from my paycheck that also reduce my the amount of taxes I pay on my income.

now I will go to the mat on this as I have lived and paid into various systems for stints overseas, and argue that the messed up system around social welfare in the US makes it a “shadow” tax as I have to go out of my way to have more savings but I get that is too far for some of y’all. The point I’m trying to make is that it’s not all sunshine and rainbows over here.

I still pay 80k a year in tax + healthcare and have a $3k deductible before they pay for anything. I went to a primary care doc for a minor medical thing, which will probably cost $200, and I need follow up imaging, which based on previous times will cost me $1000? If I had something real bad I’m looking at $12k out of pocket until I hit my max for the year.

so yeah it’s cheaper per month, but my point of use charges are much higher and I still could get a huge $12k bill out of no where. give me socialized medicine. please.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

fart simpson posted:

im the guy looking for self actualization through filing my taxes

actually nvm you're right tbh.

I just don't have anything else in my life other patting myself on the back for my career and actually am looking for self actualization from it and it doesn't work

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

I pay six figgies of Canadian taxes and will gladly keep paying more

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

freeasinbeer posted:

I still pay 80k a year in tax + healthcare and have a $3k deductible before they pay for anything. I went to a primary care doc for a minor medical thing, which will probably cost $200, and I need follow up imaging, which based on previous times will cost me $1000? If I had something real bad I’m looking at $12k out of pocket until I hit my max for the year.

so yeah it’s cheaper per month, but my point of use charges are much higher and I still could get a huge $12k bill out of no where. give me socialized medicine. please.

for real you're actually paying even more than that per month for that poo poo coverage. and by that i mean the probably additional half of that which your employer is covering as part of your compensation package

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
in 2010 i once ended a friends with benefits deal because she got a job selling health insurance and defended the practice to the hilt. this was during the obamacare fight of course

there is absolutely nothing scummier

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

what kind of loving stack does your company have that editing a single file would save eight figgies a year in what the gently caress?

radium woke up in a cold sweat and doesn’t know why
I'm partly exaggerating and partly not, I'll prob put together a conference talk on this sort of thing some day

But yeah if you work on traffic management, provisioning, or efficiency of Very Large Internet Services then you can get some very big numbers from very small changes

freeasinbeer
Mar 26, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

for real you're actually paying even more than that per month for that poo poo coverage. and by that i mean the probably additional half of that which your employer is covering as part of your compensation package

based on some documentation I’ve seen at my last place, I’d suspect it’s $300-$400 or more a month plus $56 to me a paycheck

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

ShadowHawk posted:

sales: I closed this killer sales contract that generates 5 mil in new business revenue
- so of course I get a 10% commission for the year and maybe some residuals
eng: I edited some obscure config file no one understands and now we have 20 mil per year less in infrastructure costs
- so maybe if I keep at it I can cite that when I apply for a promotion with a 20k/year salary bump

it's almost as if sales guys are better negotiators and companies will only pay you what you can negotiate for- not what you're actually worth :thunk:

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

you can’t put out on the first night of interview you gotta play hard to get

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

just go in and neg the company while mentioning how many hot startups you are seeing

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

freeasinbeer posted:

based on some documentation I’ve seen at my last place, I’d suspect it’s $300-$400 or more a month plus $56 to me a paycheck

according to the mandatory meeting i had to attend in november my end is $72 and my dumbass small business tyrant covers nearly $600 - though not really; i'm actually covered by my wife for everything that's not dental/vision (because that's not healthcare for some reason) who works for the feds. so ofc i get that extra $72/month but save my boss/king ~$600 because lol why would he pay me even half that extra

however we did switch to better dental, which i'm absolutely sure is because he had to get some work done last year and got gouged like crazy. if i saw him crossing the street in front of my car i wouldn't stop in minecraft

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
dental plan!

TerminalRaptor
Nov 6, 2012

Mostly Harmless

MononcQc posted:

I was supposed to be on vacation in the US this week so obviously this isn’t happening

I still took vacation this week because I haven't taken any vacation at all this year and my job is a helldump of mismanagement.

I shut down my work email and not having to look at it for a week is a godsend.

it will be waiting for me when I get back :(

Necronomicon
Jan 18, 2004

My "career" only picked up in earnest about five years ago (I'm like 33 now) and I've got a decent amount socked away in my 401k, but I don't trust it for a loving second. Like "whoops wall street got too horny and gambled it all away good luck rear end in a top hat". At this point in history I feel like "preparing for societal collapse" is a better retirement plan.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

i’m probably going to go with a nine millimeter retirement plan.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Midjack posted:

there’s nothing wrong with regular self pleasure

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

freeasinbeer posted:

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

Midjack posted:

I’ll become a persistent burden to my family, increasingly difficult to be around.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

my boss's boss's boss had a bunch of pizza shipped from a place called Lou's in Chicago so that we can have a zoom pizza party today for all of her reports

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

The Fool posted:

my boss's boss's boss had a bunch of pizza shipped from a place called Lou's in Chicago so that we can have a zoom pizza party today for all of her reports

Lou Malnati's slings a p.deece Chicago pizza WHICH IS A TOTALLY VALID FORM OF PIZZA, GO gently caress YOURSELF.*

*: Truly, the most Chicago of all possible pizzas.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

Necronomicon posted:

My "career" only picked up in earnest about five years ago (I'm like 33 now) and I've got a decent amount socked away in my 401k, but I don't trust it for a loving second. Like "whoops wall street got too horny and gambled it all away good luck rear end in a top hat". At this point in history I feel like "preparing for societal collapse" is a better retirement plan.

just put your poo poo into money markets. it's basically just 2-3% that protects you from inflation. If money market funds lose all their value, you will have more immediate problems than losing your retirement, such as the imminent collapse of the nation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

The Fool posted:

discovering how easy it is to make pizza at home is probably the best part of this quarantine poo poo for me come to think of it