Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

my wife was confirmed to have been exposed at work and I've had what I would consider a minor cough for a week. not symptomatic enough to be seen by most places testing :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

Wangsbig posted:

my wife was confirmed to have been exposed at work and I've had what I would consider a minor cough for a week. not symptomatic enough to be seen by most places testing :shrug:

stay safe :ohdear:

In other news, just found out a guy I train(ed :smith: thanks 'roni) with quit my school over the whole Renzo/Himmler thing. My school isn't a Renzo affiliate, but the owner trained under Renzo in the late 90's/early 00's through purple or brown and remains on good terms with Renzo, including regularly training at RGA. The guy who quit basically said that since my instructor won't disassociate with Renzo he won't train there anymore.

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

butros posted:

stay safe :ohdear:

In other news, just found out a guy I train(ed :smith: thanks 'roni) with quit my school over the whole Renzo/Himmler thing. My school isn't a Renzo affiliate, but the owner trained under Renzo in the late 90's/early 00's through purple or brown and remains on good terms with Renzo, including regularly training at RGA. The guy who quit basically said that since my instructor won't disassociate with Renzo he won't train there anymore.

The Himmler thing is insane. What an idiot...

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

Would love to hear Yun’s take on it but he died or w/e

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Count Roland posted:

Its a thread pet-subject when things are quiet. Just some loser that OP has interacted with, a sort of slow motion train-wreck sort of person. We've gotten periodic updates about his antics-- the latest is hardly a surprise.

Im going to play devils advocate and hope that these types of people end up changing their ways when they get into this. I know its high hopes to expect something like that, but I guess thats the kind of guy I am because I know people that are sort of like this. We cannot throw out the discipline part of martial arts that has a practical application to our life.

spb posted:

The Himmler thing is insane. What an idiot...

People say stupid poo poo. This is kind of the norm in a gym.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
Yah I really dislike the stuff Renzo says, but I also know what I am getting into in the world of martial arts, which is a lot of people with far out opinions, and skewed a bit towards tough guys and shut ins and weirdos and testosterone junkies. It is the sister culture to conspiracy theorists after all

Eustace
Feb 26, 2009

Tacos Al Pastor posted:

People say stupid poo poo. This is kind of the norm in a gym.

Is it really? People are going around your gym quoting notable figures for the Third Reich?

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Did you guys know that Helio was a member of the fascist party? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brazilian_Integralism
It explains sooooo many things to me.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
I would never stop laughing if all of BJJ got cancelled

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_eUFXeZ-Oto

quidditch it and quit it
Oct 11, 2012

omg chael crash posted:

Would love to hear Yun’s take on it but he died or w/e

Ah Yuns is a black belt under Renzo so much as the association goes downwards, it goes upwards.

He knows where his belt came from.

heeebrew
Sep 6, 2007

Weed smokin', joint tokin', fake Jew of the Weed thread

Wangsbig posted:

Just call back and explain you have EXTREME symptoms, get tested. Don't let some bullshit "not symptomatic enough" prevent you from being tested. We need more testing. We should be testing everyone and frequently.

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans

I like this.

I heard Craig Jones a while ago talking on the matburn podcast maybe? about hitting a no gi Ezekiel from bottom half, and how it tightened if he let the opponent come to mount. Does that sound familiar to anyone? I'd like to know more.

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
no i've definitely seen yellow grapes before. like, bright-rear end yellow.

[edit: wrong thread sorry]

rest his guts
Mar 3, 2013

...pls father forgive me
for my terrible post history...
Six sessions in and I peeled a ton of skin off the top of my foot during ‘thumb turn arm bar escapes’. The shower sucked but rolling after practice has been fun. Looking forward to the day my arm or nose breaks

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

rest his guts posted:

Looking forward to the day my arm or nose breaks

It's really loving easy to not get your arm broken. Tap early against white and blue belts. Your nose is just gonna be a risk.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Mechafunkzilla posted:

I would never stop laughing if all of BJJ got cancelled

I seriously fear this is a possibility.

Has anywhere been able to resume training properly?

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

ICHIBAHN posted:

Most of Australia + NZ. Australia's just had one state go back into lockdown for six weeks because of a breakout. But 7/8 states can train.

I wouldn't be surprised if short regional shutdowns once or twice a year become a normal thing moving forward.

We're lucky to have oceans as borders, but there's still a surprisingly large amount of international travel happening. That's where all the incoming cases are coming from, mistakes and lapses in quarantine procedures

02-6611-0142-1 fucked around with this message at 10:41 on Jul 9, 2020

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Korea has been training tegularly for the past 3 months.

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

ICHIBAHN posted:

People are training here in Texas even though cases are through the roof. I think my rule of thumb going forward will be to stop training if R0 is above 1. Right now in Texas it's about 1.06.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I don't think that's the kind of "cancelled" that he means

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

My gym is training still for some reason. I am not going back for a while a least. When we get back down to 10 or less cases a day in my city (today was 753 for reference) I will consider going back. We had 2 people test positive who trained there, but they both got it elsewhere and they only trained with people in their households when they were in the gym. Noone else who was there when they were has tested positive yet. Too risky at the moment in my opinion.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
We're down to single figures new cases and 0-2 deaths per day. Frustrating that we won't be open for a bit but I understand it

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

For a while I was training illicitly with the instructors and a couple other students. This basically meant I was getting my rear end kicked all the time.

Now the gym has opened with a government-approved plan, which among other things puts a limit of 10 people per class. This means I'm with a more representative mix of students. Which means I actually get to do well in some rolls which is really great plus I feel smooth as a ninja as I pull off this stuff.

Its hard to say how long things will be like this. My region has single digit new cases daily but the government hasn't said what they're going to do when cases go back up. Guess we'll just wait and see.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

My entire province is on a 9-day no new cases streak and I'm still not grappling.

Though I did surprise Imanari roll my buddy yesterday to be a dick

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
My gym here in SFL might be open or just recently shut back down again. I haven't paid too much attention because I'm sure as hell not showing up.

Just got a sub to a nice yoga app.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

ICHIBAHN posted:

We're down to single figures new cases and 0-2 deaths per day. Frustrating that we won't be open for a bit but I understand it

How big is your city? I live in a city of 3 million people. During the whole month of April we had 8 deaths (confirmed from Covid) and like ~300 deaths that were Covid related. Seems a bit ridiculous to shut everything down just for that low of a number of people.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Tacos Al Pastor posted:

How big is your city? I live in a city of 3 million people. During the whole month of April we had 8 deaths (confirmed from Covid) and like ~300 deaths that were Covid related. Seems a bit ridiculous to shut everything down just for that low of a number of people.

With population density like that it could explode really quickly.

Keep in mind too that even people who don't die are getting hosed up by it. You really don't want it. Covid causes blood clots, and I've heard about amputations. Saw someone saying that his resting heart rate was 80 before a mild-symptom case and it's 100 now. Focus on the number of active and new cases, not on the deaths.

And apparently people with blood type A are having a much worse time of it than other blood types.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

CommonShore posted:

Keep in mind too that even people who don't die are getting hosed up by it. You really don't want it.

I know. I am one of them.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Tacos Al Pastor posted:

I know. I am one of them.

oooh right I didn't connect the dots on the username.

:ohdear:

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

CommonShore posted:

With population density like that it could explode really quickly.

Keep in mind too that even people who don't die are getting hosed up by it. You really don't want it. Covid causes blood clots, and I've heard about amputations. Saw someone saying that his resting heart rate was 80 before a mild-symptom case and it's 100 now. Focus on the number of active and new cases, not on the deaths.

While it can have bad consequences for those who get it and survive, most people get through just fine with large numbers not showing symptoms. And other diseases like influenza also commonly cause weird neurological effects too.

It's bad, but like everything else it's bad in a relative way. There's diseases that are more and less damaging. It's still not clear (to me) where exactly covid fits on the scale as morbidity rates are hard to come by and seem to vary strangely. As we learn more about the disease we'll be able to tailor our response in a finer way than shutting down almost all of society.

Neeber
Nov 29, 2007
I mean temporarily shutting down activities where another dude's sweat regularly drips into your eyeballs doesn't constitute as all of society.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Tacos Al Pastor posted:

I'm talking Scotland, 5-6m

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Neeber posted:

I mean temporarily shutting down activities where another dude's sweat regularly drips into your eyeballs doesn't constitute as all of society.

No, for sure. I meant generally. If there's cases going around a BJJ gym then restrictions/precautions are totally reasonable.

Jerome Louis
Nov 5, 2002
p
College Slice
Well they shut down gyms again in most CA counties. Curious to see if any of the BJJ gyms that were running like normal actually shut down or not.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Jerome Louis posted:

Well they shut down gyms again in most CA counties. Curious to see if any of the BJJ gyms that were running like normal actually shut down or not.

Some of them will go underground. I know of at least a few that did.

CommonShore posted:

oooh right I didn't connect the dots on the username.

:ohdear:

It is what it is. I just deal with it.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Why do this thing right when we can half rear end it three or four times!!

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
I live in Miami and all the gyms are open and at it. blood for the blood god hell yeah brotha!

Im not going

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Waroduce posted:

I live in Miami and all the gyms are open and at it. blood for the blood god hell yeah brotha!

Im not going

Did you see how Disneyworld opened up and WDWR didn't even bother testing their employees who were returning to work?

CAPITALISM!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Jack B Nimble posted:

Why do this thing right when we can half rear end it three or four times!!

Dont worry Nov is right around the corner and then you wont have to hear about this anymore should Biden win, and everyone can go back to strangling one another.