Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Everyone post your phattest looter stacks, the current record is 113

Jimbot posted:

So how is the kingdom aspect? I've vassal'd up with one of the leaders because, considering how buggy the game already is, being an independent kingdom sounds like a recipe for disaster. Also, as a vassal, what's the best way to get a town or village of your own? I want them sweet tax dollars.

By far the biggest factor is how many other landless vassals there are in your kingdom. If you're the only one, you're almost guaranteed to get a fief within the next few captures, but it's not really something you can game. Other than that, your best bet is to increase your relationship with the other vassals, especially the faction leader. Participating in sieges/battles doesn't really seem to make any difference.
The whole system is (too) opaque and arbitrary, but it also works out so that you will always get something sooner or later. Patience is key.

Going independent is fine and not particularly buggy compared to the rest of the game, even back when it was very barebones. The main reason I could see not to do it is that it means you're forced to endlessly track down lords in order to maybe convince them to join your side. If you fail, tough poo poo, try again later, you just wasted your time for nothing, possibly while a bunch of your fiefs are getting sieged down. That's an incredibly tedious chore they added to that stage.

I would only recommend declaring independence if you own at least one town, have decent max party size, and have a good deal of money stockpiled. If you get dogpiled without any recourse right at the start, it might as well be game over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
What are the mods that come with the game for? Native, Storymode etc

They're too generically named so googling just throws up discussion posts from pre-release.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

Phlegmish posted:

Everyone post your phattest looter stacks, the current record is 113

Your can easily scale this up with mods. I just killed a stack of 2000 with my 400 man army of t12 murder machines.

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

Funky See Funky Do posted:

They're too generically named so googling just throws up discussion posts from pre-release.

They're just modules of the base game itself. I'm not sure why they display them like that.

Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate
Yeah I think the Lord system and your inability to raise your own companions to be leaders anywhere near as good as the Lord's already in the game is one of the things that holds back being an independent kingdom. I have no idea what a better system would look like, but it's just not a satisfying game loop; especially if they can leave you after joining you.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

GruntyThrst posted:

They're just modules of the base game itself. I'm not sure why they display them like that.

if you open up the game files you can see they split different parts of the single player between them. there are xmls that define the troop trees in sandbox core, the nobles are all defined in sandbox, etc

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
What should I do? I know that might like seem like a dumb question but I have no clear goals. I'm not even sure what I cando. I've just been loving around killing looters and building my army. I have no idea what to do when it gets strong enough. I bought a caravan but I must be missing something because it looks like I'm making about a 50g a day profit on a 25k investment.

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

Caravans take a long time to get profitable, but it'll get there as long as it isn't raided. Early game is spending time building your army, skills, and equipment. Eventually you can join as a Merc or a vassal if you like and piggy back on larger armies for bigger battles.

downout
Jul 6, 2009

First playthrough it's probably best to go be a vassal or mercenary just remember that when they go to war, you will too. You can ask a NPC leader to join as a vassal or merc. It's the same NPCs that you talk to complete the question chain. Like the leaders of the major clans.

Mercenaries get paid for fighting based on influence gain I think, and vassals get some kind of stipend from the leader. Also I like tannery workshops for gold, they seem to bring in ~600g a day. Trade is actually not bad now they they've put in color coding. Buy bright green, sell yellow or red. And everyone's been saying blacksmith is crazy good money at higher levels, but it takes a lot of time to level.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

downout posted:

And everyone's been saying blacksmith is crazy good money at higher levels, but it takes a lot of time to level.

It doesn't take all that long at all if you always build two handed swords with length maxed and the highest tier parts you have unlocked. (This is also how you make mega bucks.) It'll be a little slow initially while you unlock parts but that doesn't take long and once you get the higher tier stuff it rockets up. Smithing is my highest level skill and when I started leveling it on my companions so they could help with the refining production line they were going from 1 to 60 in a single craft.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

smithing actually takes very little time to level because making a high-value two handed sword or two-handed polearm or javelin gives you 50 levels

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
What is there to spend money on? I mean besides troop upkeep and buying caravans. I have way more than I have any use for at the moment just from selling loot.

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

After a point money becomes essentially meaningless- I’m pulling in 20-30k every day from taxes alone, way more than I can spend. It’s useful for bribes primarily at this stage.

Olesh
Aug 4, 2008

Why did the circus close?

A long, chilling list of animal rights violations.

What is there to spend money on? I mean besides troop upkeep and buying caravans. I have way more than I have any use for at the moment just from selling loot.

Bribing yourself out of wars you don't want to be in at the moment, purchasing fiefs. Once you get enough trade skill to unlock fief bartering, you'll find that throwing money at your problems is a far faster and easier solution than actually bothering to siege so long as you can actually find the owner of the fief you want to acquire.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

psa to remind/inform that you can use money to settle peace deals in the early stages of your new kingdom, and money is essentially infinite with the smithing high value weapons cheese. i don't usually like doing this kinda stuff in games but the diplo/relationship part of this game is very very shallow so that's how I justify it during the early survival part of a new kingdom. that way you can take some time to build up your vassals and not have to worry about constant sieges.

e:

Olesh posted:

Bribing yourself out of wars you don't want to be in at the moment

yeah that

hot cocoa on the couch fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Jul 7, 2020

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

Olesh posted:

you'll find that throwing money at your problems is a far faster and easier solution than actually bothering

Just like real life!

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

actually just buying people off with swords directly is more efficient than using money since no towns have enough money to buy your swords for anywhere near full value anyway

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

lol

Is it weird that I have no desire to try out smithing, it just sounds like it trivializes the game. It's always more fun to me when I struggle a bit at the start, only to eventually overcome it

downout
Jul 6, 2009

Wafflecopper posted:

It doesn't take all that long at all if you always build two handed swords with length maxed and the highest tier parts you have unlocked. (This is also how you make mega bucks.) It'll be a little slow initially while you unlock parts but that doesn't take long and once you get the higher tier stuff it rockets up. Smithing is my highest level skill and when I started leveling it on my companions so they could help with the refining production line they were going from 1 to 60 in a single craft.

I didn't know about the 2-hander 50 lvls trick. Most of the time I sit around "resting".

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine

Phlegmish posted:

lol

Is it weird that I have no desire to try out smithing, it just sounds like it trivializes the game. It's always more fun to me when I struggle a bit at the start, only to eventually overcome it

Smithing is totally broken. Making 2H swords works well...if you get lucky enough to get higher tier pieces to keep progressing.

Also, I'm not sure, but I think with appropriate perks (if they're working right now), the best weapons will be made through smithing.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

On the subject of perks, is there a list of which ones do and don't work?

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Jimbot posted:

On the subject of perks, is there a list of which ones do and don't work?

yes

http://www.bannerlordperks.com/

GENUINE CAT HERDER
Jan 2, 2004

Wedge Regret

Glass of Milk posted:

Smithing is totally broken. Making 2H swords works well...if you get lucky enough to get higher tier pieces to keep progressing.

Also, I'm not sure, but I think with appropriate perks (if they're working right now), the best weapons will be made through smithing.

The extra pieces that allow for more progression tend to drop pretty quickly considering you get a ton of unlocks early on and still 2-3 per piece even with a really high skill level given that unlocks seem to be tied to how expensive a created weapon is.

Also, pretty much all of the perks with smithing are actually working as intended, meaning that a high level smith can make the "legendary" class weapons which, when you combine all the right parts, are easily the best in the game. Current favorite is a Thamaskene Steel Kaskara blade, Bronze Falx/Knightly Golden Crescent guard, Gold Bound Arming Sword grip, and a Lordly Pommel all for a 1-handed sword. Well-balanced, hits hard, and looks baller as gently caress. Other good poo poo to check out are the 2-h sword war razor blade (T4), the Heavy Bardiche head for 2-h axe (T5), and the Long Glaive head for 2-h polearm (T5).

I've pretty much shelved the game atm and am playing through Enderal again since it got released on Steam, but I've been tempted to try and do a "pacifist" run before the next patch where I simply jack up my money supply with smithing and max trade to the point where I can trade fiefs. Join a faction, have them conquer most of the world for me, trade a bunch of lovely overpriced javelins for everyone's property, and then defect and conquer the rest. Easy-peasy.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.
Is there any mod or method to let you have both perk choices in a tree at the same time? I hate feeling like I'm missing out when I have to choose one over the other.

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

Phlegmish posted:

lol

It trivialises the game... but the game is pretty unevenly balanced right now so I think it's okay.

I mostly use the broken smithing to be able to buy armour that NPC solders get for a hundred denars when they're promoted so screw it

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Can anyone recommend some good garrison troops? I'm Imperial and I was thinking of just filling the castle up with tier 2 troops, they seem to perform fairly well in battle. What do you guys do?

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

Jimbot posted:

Can anyone recommend some good garrison troops? I'm Imperial and I was thinking of just filling the castle up with tier 2 troops, they seem to perform fairly well in battle. What do you guys do?

I generally dump all my non-cav wounded from the siege into the castle to form a central cadre (and to ensure I have lots of highly levelled troops scattered around the map that I can call on in emergencies). And then max out militia recruitment ASAP.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I really wish they'd change the way combat works. It's still clunky and unintuitive. Nothing like moving the mouse up only for you to swing to the side and hitting the rampart. Are there any mods that change it? Or at least remove collision detection on enclosed spaces?

Jimbot fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Jul 8, 2020

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:

Jimbot posted:

I really wish they'd change the way combat works. It's still clunky and unintuitive. Nothing like moving the mouse up only for you to swing to the side and hitting the rampart. Are there any mods that change it? Or at least remove collision detection on enclosed spaces?

It feels backwards. Like, it's press direction then attack via mouse button. It feels like it should be the opposite: mouse button then move the mouse to choose your direction of strike.

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Everything's coming up explodey!

Pillbug

Jimbot posted:

Fluid Combat Overhaul was real nice last time I played, and it looks to be updated, but BannerLib might not work. Waiting for a bit more stability and polish before I hop back in, so YMMV.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
How do i actually get ANYONE to join my Kingdom? If I pass the talk check with someone 600k denars barely move their bar to 10%. I managed to snag 1 town and 2 castles from sturgia under them by waiting for enemies to take them over then attack them once the sturgians took them back with a tiny garrison in them then bribing my way into peace each time. My 600~ Men with all 4 parties can only go so far though.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

FrickenMoron posted:

How do i actually get ANYONE to join my Kingdom? If I pass the talk check with someone 600k denars barely move their bar to 10%. I managed to snag 1 town and 2 castles from sturgia under them by waiting for enemies to take them over then attack them once the sturgians took them back with a tiny garrison in them then bribing my way into peace each time. My 600~ Men with all 4 parties can only go so far though.

It helps if you have high relation with their clan. You can build that up by doing quests for them or letting them go after you beat them in battle. I think if their personality traits (honor, mercy, etc) clash with their king's and sync up better with your kingdom's ruler's it also helps.

e: in Warband there was a mechanic where the rear end in a top hat personality nobles would give you the relationship boost for letting them go then the next time you meet they'd say they were gravely insulted by this and you'd get a huge relationship loss. Not sure if this is the case in bannerlord

e2: One thing that sucks is that you can't tell if a noble on the map screen has a quest available, you have to talk to them and see if the "I heard you needed help with something?" option pops up. However you can see if someone has a ! on their picture in the "enter the keep" part of the town menu and also next to their name on the "talk to other army members" menu when you encounter a non-hostile army

Shear Modulus fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Jul 8, 2020

Olesh
Aug 4, 2008

Why did the circus close?

A long, chilling list of animal rights violations.

FrickenMoron posted:

Shear Modulus posted:

It helps if you have high relation with their clan. You can build that up by doing quests for them or letting them go after you beat them in battle. I think if their personality traits (honor, mercy, etc) clash with their king's and sync up better with your kingdom's ruler's it also helps.

So, for recruiting nobles, it's a little hard to understand how it works.

First, you can't recruit individual nobles. This means that the only people you can talk to for recruitment purposes are the clan heads. If you talk to someone who isn't the clan head and try the "Your liege is not worthy" dialogue option, they'll tell you to go talk to whomever heads up their clan. You can look up who heads various clans in the in-game encyclopedia, which will also tell you the last location you had news of them.

Okay, so you found Mesui and you're really hoping to grab the Khergit clan under your banner. You haven't tried to recruit her lately, so selecting the "Your liege is not worthy" dialogue option works. What's the next step?

Well, next you get put into a series of dialogue checks, similar to some of the conversation checks you can get in quests like the village "return the kidnapped daughter". Your goal here is to get 4 success pips, and you have 4 successive dialogue checks in which to earn it.

What dialogue options appear depends somehow on the intersection between your traits, the clan leader's traits, and the kingdom leader's traits. Each dialogue option will get a success bonus or malus depending on whether you meet/fail thresholds for the requirements, listed in the check. So one dialogue option might list (Charm, Honor). Depending on whether the specific skill/trait is red, grey, or green shows whether you are failing the threshhold, sort of neutral, or beating the success threshold for that particular skill or trait. Each dialogue option also lists a success chance and indicates whether the dialogue option will either be a Success or a Critical Success if passed. Critical Success options get you two success pips. Critical Fail options (if failed) will immediately fail the recruitment. Your relationship with the clan (positive or negative) does not appear to affect success rates.

Additional skills/traits above and beyond what is necessary to turn a dialogue option green don't improve your chances any further.

Now, there's two potential outcomes - either you pass enough dialogue checks to earn 4 pips (success), or you fail to earn 4 pips and fail. Exiting the dialogue early also counts as an auto-fail. If you fail, you don't suffer any negative repercussions for the attempt, but there's a cooldown period before you'll be allowed to make another attempt with the same clan head. Odds are very good you will fail.

On the other hand, if you succeed, here's where your relationship with the clan comes in. If you have high relations with the clan you're trying to recruit, often they simply join you, no further questions asked. Otherwise, the clan leader will request a bribe to join. How much of a bribe you need to pay to get them to sign on appears to depend on how much the clan likes/dislikes you. The more they like you, the less you have to pay to convince them to sign up. You can sign up a clan that absolutely hates you (-100 relations) if you can pass the skill check, but they will demand a very steep bribe. Also, odds are pretty good that they'll randomly gently caress off and sign up with a different kingdom in a couple of days if you don't immediately repair relations, but if you've got influence to burn you can immediately (if tediously) spend a few thousand influence to make any of your vassal clans love you.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
I got one to join and they leave the very next day, don't even have a chance to give them a fief. This is just goddamn broken in its current state.

Fishbus
Aug 30, 2006

"Stuck in an RPG Pro-Tour"

The price for recruiting those clan leaders also depends on their relative kingdom strength to yours. So it's better to grab clans as a kingdom is nearing destruction.

It then becomes easier.

If you have a really good relationship, you may be able to get a clan leader to join you without cost, feeling honor bound to join your cause.

Fishbus fucked around with this message at 08:47 on Jul 9, 2020

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

So did giving that dragon banner thing to the leader of the faction trigger some sort of "everyone's at war now" thing or was it just coincidence? Because everyone's is at war with everyone in my game.

Also, it sucks because being the only logical army commander is tedious. I like to attack targets that are close together not march across the world for each one.

Edit: I'm reminded why I fell off of Warband. End-game Mount and Blade is tedium incarnate. I think I may just enable cheats and warp around, save myself hours of playtime doing anything. Luckily my fiefs are extremely close together, the one thing the game did right (feature or accident, who knows).

Edit 2: Can someone explain what "Advance" means for orders? At times armies act like skirmishers and other times they turn completely around and run away.

Jimbot fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Jul 9, 2020

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Jimbot posted:

So did giving that dragon banner thing to the leader of the faction trigger some sort of "everyone's at war now" thing or was it just coincidence? Because everyone's is at war with everyone in my game.

Also, it sucks because being the only logical army commander is tedious. I like to attack targets that are close together not march across the world for each one.

Edit: I'm reminded why I fell off of Warband. End-game Mount and Blade is tedium incarnate. I think I may just enable cheats and warp around, save myself hours of playtime doing anything. Luckily my fiefs are extremely close together, the one thing the game did right (feature or accident, who knows).

Edit 2: Can someone explain what "Advance" means for orders? At times armies act like skirmishers and other times they turn completely around and run away.

this video explains how some of the combat AI supposedly works including what the difference is between charge and advance

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7YRy1eTF6cc

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

THE TRUTH BEHIND BATTLE COMMANDS

are they some big fuckin conspiracy or something

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
The telepathy mod glitched out in my game, I managed to clone my spouse 2 times so now I have 3 of her in my army. I was confused why she was running a party, was in my party and also a governor in my castle, so I disbanded the party and told her to join my party 2 times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

FrickenMoron posted:

I managed to clone my spouse 2 times

:quagmire: