Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

Fuckin' toaster knob goes from 1 to 10 but 4 results in barely warmed bread and 5 turns the slice solid black. Not a particular brand, every toaster I've ever encountered. Why do they all pretend that the settings work?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

franco
Jan 3, 2003
Lockdown has led me to watching a lot of dumb poo poo on youtube and the like, which leads me to...

AMATEUR FOOD REVIEWERS WHO DON'T LIKE FOOD :argh:

I'm not having a go at "picky eaters" - like what you like, I don't care. But if you're reviewing something thats main ingredient is, say, mushrooms, and you state that you detest mushrooms at the beginning then it's probably going to be an utterly pointless review. Hate tomatoes in all forms? Then your review of this pasta sauce is probably not going to be that positive or helpful in the least!

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Dip Viscous posted:

Fuckin' toaster knob goes from 1 to 10 but 4 results in barely warmed bread and 5 turns the slice solid black. Not a particular brand, every toaster I've ever encountered. Why do they all pretend that the settings work?

Possibly the most annoying thing about this to me is that the method of operation means every toaster is going to be different. Even two of the exact same model of toaster will be different.

Toasters work via a little filament next to the knob that gets heated while the toaster warms up and, y'know, toasts. The filament slowly curls inward as the toaster heats it up, and when it touches a circuit or switch the power is automatically cut and your toast pops up. You adjust the length of the toastin' sesh by rotating the knob, which physically rotates the filament. But this of course means that there is no consistency at all because it's not like it's going to heat up evenly and in exactly the same amount of time every time. Also, constantly being heated and cooled means the filament will warp over time and so the rotating knob eventually won't even make a difference anymore.

More expensive toasters have solved this by just having a circuit board with a timer inside and the knob adjusts the timer. But man I can't be bothered to shop around for a luxury toaster! It's a toaster!

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

God knows what lives in me in place of me.
Grimey Drawer
"Anyways."

I hate that word, I hate how prevalent it's become, I hate that complaining about that word draws the "DESCRIPTIVE NOT PRESCRIPTIVE" tools out of the wordwork, I hate seeing it in formal writing, I hate seeing it in otherwise-great tattoos. It's kin to "supposably" and "for all intensive purposes" and it just sounds backwoods and lame.

So I tell myself it's like "towards" vs. "toward" -- maybe the "toward" users were flipping out about this godawful "towards" business 200 years ago, but now either word is perfectly valid and accepted and I don't get bothered by "towards," do I? No, I use "towards" myself.

But ANYwaysss...

UGH

:mad:

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
The thing about toasters is America's Test Kitchen tested them, and unless you're getting an industrial toaster made for restaurants to spit out perfect toast every time, they all loving suck, and you should just get the cheapest one you can find.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Do what I do: have an apartment so small that there's no counter space for a toaster. Make toast on a frying pan. It's slow! It heats the whole place up to like 30 degrees! But you're definitely in control of it

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Killingyouguy! posted:

Do what I do: have an apartment so small that there's no counter space for a toaster. Make toast on a frying pan. It's slow! It heats the whole place up to like 30 degrees! But you're definitely in control of it

With that much effort you should just make a grilled cheese sandwich instead

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Iron Crowned posted:

With that much effort you should just make a grilled cheese sandwich instead

And put peanut butter on top of it? Gross, dude

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1OfxlSG6q5Y

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Ok if you're gonna poke your head up out of your loving phone just long enough to make a comment/joke or ask a question, could you at least stick around for the response before you dive back into whatever worthless poo poo you're doing? I'm so sick of answering someone and receiving a yawning wall of silence. I stopped reading the forums for long enough I could hear your pointless poo poo, grant me the same loving courtesy!

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Rabbit Hill posted:

"Anyways."

I hate that word, I hate how prevalent it's become, I hate that complaining about that word draws the "DESCRIPTIVE NOT PRESCRIPTIVE" tools out of the wordwork, I hate seeing it in formal writing, I hate seeing it in otherwise-great tattoos. It's kin to "supposably" and "for all intensive purposes" and it just sounds backwoods and lame.

So I tell myself it's like "towards" vs. "toward" -- maybe the "toward" users were flipping out about this godawful "towards" business 200 years ago, but now either word is perfectly valid and accepted and I don't get bothered by "towards," do I? No, I use "towards" myself.

But ANYwaysss...

UGH

:mad:

*it's akin to, unless you meant to type kin in which case holy poo poo that's way more backwoods.

Anyways, our toaster broke last year and now we just make toast in the oven. The power usage sucks but I don't really miss having a toaster, it's fine.

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I did mean "akin to" and I blame auto-correct. :arghfist:

On that note: I loving hate typing on my tablet, and my participation on message boards and social media (and even email) has declined considerably since I began using my tablet more than my laptop. I used to post a lot in TVIV and The Book Barn, but no way am I making effort-posts on a tablet.

(I'm on my laptop now, though.)

On an unrelated note, and this is more than a pet peeve, but, man....having ADHD sucks. If I misplace something in my apartment, I can't just look in the obvious or logical places, I have to look everywhere, because not only am I scatterbrained, I don't form memories when I'm distracted. Things turn up in places I don't even remember going to.

Oh no, I lost my keys! After searching the 3 logical places, the 10 most likely places, and 2349978 unlikely places, I find them in a drawer I have no memory of opening within the past 6 months. How did they get there? When did they get there? What was I doing when I put them there? No idea.

Sometimes I forget to fill my weekly pill organizer. That means that sometimes I get to have the exciting adventure of trying to remember if I've already taken my meds today, or if the memory I have of taking the meds is a memory from some other day in the past. If I guess incorrectly, I'll either have terrible anxiety and heart problems during the day, or terrible withdrawal symptoms beginning that night.

Why don't I just remember to fill the pill organizer? Because I have ADHD.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

The song Rude by MAGIC!

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Rabbit Hill posted:

On an unrelated note, and this is more than a pet peeve, but, man....having ADHD sucks. If I misplace something in my apartment, I can't just look in the obvious or logical places, I have to look everywhere, because not only am I scatterbrained, I don't form memories when I'm distracted. Things turn up in places I don't even remember going to.

Oh no, I lost my keys! After searching the 3 logical places, the 10 most likely places, and 2349978 unlikely places, I find them in a drawer I have no memory of opening within the past 6 months. How did they get there? When did they get there? What was I doing when I put them there? No idea.

I've found it helps by having dedicated spots for things, like the instant I get home I put my wallet, keys, and watch in the exact same spot every day.

I loving hate this song with a passion

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

It's so loving annoying that some places (like flights) mandate masks, but not that people wear then correctly.

A couple of these passengers boarding aren't wearing it over their nose. The majority haven't used the nose-bendy-bit.

It just makes it all feel so performative.
Norway currently doesn't have anyone in respirators, and covid hospitalisations are <10. So people will soon stop taking it seriously, I imagine.

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007
"There's a message on the answering machine for you"

"What's the message?"

I don't think you understand the purpose of answering machines.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

SubNat posted:

It's so loving annoying that some places (like flights) mandate masks, but not that people wear then correctly.

A couple of these passengers boarding aren't wearing it over their nose. The majority haven't used the nose-bendy-bit.

It just makes it all feel so performative.
Norway currently doesn't have anyone in respirators, and covid hospitalisations are <10. So people will soon stop taking it seriously, I imagine.

Motherfuckers walking around with chinstrap masks jesus christ. I hate them more than people that flout masks entirely.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Motherfuckers walking around with chinstrap masks jesus christ. I hate them more than people that flout masks entirely.

2-3 people on this ~36 person flight were even wearing their masks with the wrong side out. (Yes, ~36, tiny 2-prop plane.)
'Blue side out, white side in' is not a hard concept to understand. (For those standard, disposable facemasks that seem to be the most common type here, at least.)

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

Wearing a mask but pulling it down at least once per minute to scratch face/lick fingers.

Agaragon
Nov 16, 2018

Rabbit Hill posted:

Sometimes I forget to fill my weekly pill organizer. That means that sometimes I get to have the exciting adventure of trying to remember if I've already taken my meds today, or if the memory I have of taking the meds is a memory from some other day in the past. If I guess incorrectly, I'll either have terrible anxiety and heart problems during the day, or terrible withdrawal symptoms beginning that night.

As someone with ADHD who has been panic searching her apartment for her debit card I understand.

(gently caress)

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Rabbit Hill posted:

yeah i have ADD and i also dont form memories when i'm distracted. i cant really remember poo poo people tell me verbally if it's more than one thing at a time either. it's very annoying because there's a very easy workaround: explain things to me and give me a sec to write all that poo poo down while you're quiet, but that's too much for most people, they just have to keep yapping while i'm still trying to remember the first thing they said

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

i hate when people expect you to remember all kinds of poo poo about them when youve only met them once. i forget what day it is all the time why should i remember whether generic short haired lady #34 is married or not

Bomrek
Oct 9, 2012

Dip Viscous posted:

Wearing a mask but pulling it down at least once per minute to scratch face/lick fingers.

Wearing a mask but pulling it down every time they talk

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

Rabbit Hill posted:

Late one night after work a few years ago, I parked and locked my car then walked the block to the front door of my apartment building.
I reached into the side pocket of my jeans, but my keys weren't there.
I checked my other pocket, and every pocket in my jacket, but I could not find my keys.
I spent probably half an hour walking back and forth along my route between the parking lot and front door, at midnight, desperately trying to find where I'd dropped my keys.
Frustrated and freaked out I looked up at the sky, shoved my hands into my back pockets, and felt my keys.
I've never felt more relieved and confused at the same time.
I never put anything in my back pants pockets. Never did before then, never have since. It was weird.

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I'm wondering if this played a part in the origins of the legends of mischievous ghosts and fairies who hide and then misplace your things. In an earlier time, what other explanation would they have had as to why their missing soup ladle turned up in the coal bin, if they lived alone and had no memory of putting it there?

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

When a meme is really funny but there's an egregious typo in it that distracts badly from the joke so you feel stupid sharing it but fixing it feels also quite stupid

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

When a cord falls behind the desk in such a way that it cannot be reached from any angle.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

The Mighty Moltres posted:

Late one night after work a few years ago, I parked and locked my car then walked the block to the front door of my apartment building.
I reached into the side pocket of my jeans, but my keys weren't there.
I checked my other pocket, and every pocket in my jacket, but I could not find my keys.
I spent probably half an hour walking back and forth along my route between the parking lot and front door, at midnight, desperately trying to find where I'd dropped my keys.
Frustrated and freaked out I looked up at the sky, shoved my hands into my back pockets, and felt my keys.
I've never felt more relieved and confused at the same time.
I never put anything in my back pants pockets. Never did before then, never have since. It was weird.

There have been many occasions when I'm driving down the street in my car, and I suddenly start panicking because I cannot find my keys, because they're not in my pocket.

Yesterday I could not find my sunglasses because I was already wearing them :negative:

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Sometimes I'll start panicking that I forgot my phone somewhere

while my phone is in my lap

and I'm playing some stupid game on it.

Brain, please.

The sunglasses thing I've never done but my mom does it all the drat time.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

I've straight up gotten to the level of pressing the "find my phone" button and watching it start ringing.

I was stoned, but that's not nearly unusual enough to excuse

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

People that just keep going hey, hey. HEY. HEY. HEY! HEY!! to get your attention, no matter how much you acknowledge them, and never transition from going HEY!!! to saying what they want.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
When staff in restaurants or shops get obsessed with my baby and don't leave her/us alone. Like, yes, she's super-adorable, and I will think you're a monster if you don't agree, but we didn't actually invite you to this meal out with us, so maybe give us more than a few minutes peace at a time...

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
I try to do car repairs myself. It's a...mixed bag. Some thing go really well and are simple, like when I replaced the thermostat on my truck's coolant system.

But other things are a LOT more complicated than any youtube tutorial makes them seem, because I guess they are all filmed in, like, Florida or southern California because the loving cars are drat near rust-free.

I just wanted to replace the brake pads and rotors on my car. The first one, the FIRST ONE I tried resulted in me having to buy a whole new brake caliper because a loving $5 little spring was so rusted in the old one that it was impossible to remove.

I've already looked at the other caliper, and I can see it's the same situation...worse, actually. So there goes any chance on saving money, already spend another $80 more than I wanted on a caliper, and now I feel I have to go to a garage to get the rest done because there's a chance they, with better tools and skills can remove that old rusty spring without any sort of caliper damage, but it'll cost me in labor, so...maybe I should just buy a new caliper for that side, too?

gently caress cars.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

The Perfect Element posted:

When staff in restaurants or shops get obsessed with my baby and don't leave her/us alone. Like, yes, she's super-adorable, and I will think you're a monster if you don't agree, but we didn't actually invite you to this meal out with us, so maybe give us more than a few minutes peace at a time...
I feel you. There's a pretty tasty sushi restaurant just a half-mile down the road, in easy walking distance. We stopped going there entirely in large part because every time the server would come to our table, she'd stick around way too long to coo over our young son. It was really awkward. Go away and let us eat!

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
It's called the loving Torah not the "old testament" and motherfucker there are a few more sections before you get to the Jesus parts

Peeve is goyim

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

It's called the loving Torah not the "old testament" and motherfucker there are a few more sections before you get to the Jesus parts

Peeve is goyim

There are many more books in the Old Testament beside the Torah (which is essentially the first five books).
Good examples are the Book of Daniel and the Book of Ezekiel.
In the former God protects prisoners from being burned alive, in the latter a prophet relays information detailing the coming of a messiah.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

The Perfect Element posted:

Sadly I missed it, but when I was a server while carrying two plates of Mexican food bend over and motorboat some baby on the way to a table. She got fired on the spot, but I know it happened because everyone was like "What the gently caress" about it for the next three days.

DrBouvenstein posted:

I try to do car repairs myself.

gently caress cars.

I feel you there. My most recent experience was a squeal on the belt. Pulled the old belt off, and spent 2 hours fighting the tensioner to get a new belt on. I had replaced the belt before, no problems, but now I'm exhausted, and it's about to start getting dark.

I drive it to the shop with no power steering or water pump. Turns out my alternator was failing again and it had damaged my tensioner and the pulleys. This was early March.

I've just learned I can replace a battery, spark plugs, and disc brakes, if I have to get under the thing for any reason it's going to the shop.

gently caress cars

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
"Plague times" and "age of COVID" annoy me- this poo poo needs to be taken seriously but it's not a plague. Smallpox, black death (actual, literal plague), things where if you got it death was not only possible but likely, sure. But a bunch of people have spent waaay too much time online and are talking like if you get Coronavirus, you're dead. I had that poo poo bad and it crippled me for weeks- stopping the spread is pretty important! But talking about it like it's the virus from Outbreak just gives room for idiots to talk about how it doesn't kill as many people.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan

Ugly In The Morning posted:

"Plague times" and "age of COVID" annoy me- this poo poo needs to be taken seriously but it's not a plague. Smallpox, black death (actual, literal plague), things where if you got it death was not only possible but likely, sure. But a bunch of people have spent waaay too much time online and are talking like if you get Coronavirus, you're dead. I had that poo poo bad and it crippled me for weeks- stopping the spread is pretty important! But talking about it like it's the virus from Outbreak just gives room for idiots to talk about how it doesn't kill as many people.

Tell that to my friend you dumb piece of human trash

COVID loving kills people and you're a moron for pitching anything otherwise

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
---

Ugly In The Morning has a new favorite as of 02:35 on Jul 19, 2020